Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!

SilverMike posted:

Had that happen to me immediately on starting the first Wei mission, tried switching from 1920x1080 fullscreen to 1600x900 windowed and my next load on the first Wei mission worked. The only other settings I changed were general graphics and maybe v-sync? Cranked both of them up.

Did this, also set all graphics options to the worst. The next load worked!

Excited, I quit the game and started it again with the same low settings to see if it would load a second time in a row. It did not.

I don't get it, I built my computer last month and I exceed all the spec requirements. I know I'm an idiot for hoping for a patch on a Koei cash-grab, but if that doesn't happen I may try to contact Steam for a refund on this.

TroubledWaters fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, but does he fly around on a flaming weapon while doing it? (I honestly don't know.)

No, but he does shout like a crazy person (because he's a crazy person) and make fire rain from the sky.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is my horse supposed to be this color?

Hell yes son.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Well hey! I turned everything (including the resolution) to the lowest settings and it worked! I quit the battle, started a new one, and it worked again! I repeated that, it still worked! I closed the game and restarted, and it still worked!

I moved the graphics back up to normal and it didn't work. I moved everything back to the minimums, and it seldom works, but does every now and then- it looks like random chance to me.

This is bizarre.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Orv posted:

I just killed several hundred men with the power of art. I dunno guys, Dynasty Warriors might be alright.

Only several hundred? Come back when you've depopulated a few cities, scrub. :smug:

(I really have no idea how "Ancient Chinese genocide simulator" wound up being such a popular game design concept.)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Okay, DW8 Huang Gai is pretty loving awesome

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
I still have yet to find an easy way to remap the controls to normal NA/US square = normal attack, circle = musou, triangle = charge and x = jump :(. I tried for like 10 minutes, but kept screwing myself over because square keeps going back without saving changes or something. How are the PC controls? I'm very sceptical to even try them.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Okay, DW8 Huang Gai is pretty loving awesome

Hell yes he is. His last Musou attack is pure magic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Only several hundred? Come back when you've depopulated a few cities, scrub. :smug:

(I really have no idea how "Ancient Chinese genocide simulator" wound up being such a popular game design concept.)

"The most populous nation in the world…really killed the poo poo out of itself two thousand years ago. Let's participate!"

Maybe if all the goons were robots it'd be more palpable. Heh. At least in some games it's the "knockout counter" instead of the "kill counter."

Speaking of DW, there was a game or two that tried to imitate its formula of "being awesome and chopping apart hordes of enemies." Ninety Nine Nights. I remember playing a demo for NNN-2 and liking it, but was the full experience any good?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Speedball posted:

Speaking of DW, there was a game or two that tried to imitate its formula of "being awesome and chopping apart hordes of enemies." Ninety Nine Nights. I remember playing a demo for NNN-2 and liking it, but was the full experience any good?

The first one was rough. It was also a lot harder that DW. I never played the second game, but I hear it was worse (according to a review from a person who liked the first game).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Speedball posted:

"The most populous nation in the world…really killed the poo poo out of itself two thousand years ago. Let's participate!"

Maybe if all the goons were robots it'd be more palpable. Heh. At least in some games it's the "knockout counter" instead of the "kill counter."

The first one is hilariously awful and from what I've heard the second isn't much better. The main thing the games had going for them was how many troops they could have going at one time. I think it was somewhere around one million troops. Woooooooow.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Maleketh posted:

Hell yes he is. His last Musou attack is pure magic.

Do he still have the crazy wrestling moves that have a crowd chanting for him? Please say yes, I'm still downloading the game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

Do he still have the crazy wrestling moves that have a crowd chanting for him? Please say yes, I'm still downloading the game.

He no longer has his awesome rolling throw EX attack (it wouldn't really work with his new weapon), but apart from that, yes.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think a Star Wars Warriors game would be neat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kly posted:

I think a Star Wars Warriors game would be neat.

Well, Nobunaga already has a lightsaber (at least he did in WO3)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Well, Nobunaga already has a lightsaber (at least he did in WO3)
Naw, it's Yoshitsune who looks the most like he came out of Star Wars.

Anyway, I don't know how many people in Japan know about Star Wars other than the images of Darth Vader and Yoda.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
After watching the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, it's hilarious how loving fast Shu story is. From Yellow Turban to the entire Guan Yu returning in like 4 missions.

edit: Huh, was DW8 really trying to emulate Three Kingdoms? Because I never seen the 8-Gate formation mentioned before.

Tae fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 14, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Speedball posted:

NNN was hilariously bad. The worst hamhanded "good guys are the bad guys" plot ever reaching to, I kid you not, wholesale slaughter of an orc village of women and children. In gameplay. So, just as goofy looking as all of the other mass combat. Played through that section with Yakety Sax going instead of the game's music, never touched it again.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Tae posted:

After watching the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, it's hilarious how loving fast Shu story is. From Yellow Turban to the entire Guan Yu returning in like 4 missions.

edit: Huh, was DW8 really trying to emulate Three Kingdoms? Because I never seen the 8-Gate formation mentioned before.

DW8 and the TV series also seem to be the only three kingdoms media where Lu Su is pretty awesome instead of being a chump, so maybe!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

straight jerkers posted:

The DLC costumes in 8 are really great. http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8/DLC

e: still the best

I'm more of a DW7 kind of guy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

:allears:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Next Gundam game is coming out on June 27 in Europe and July 1 in North America.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pimp dong Zhuo? Wow, I did not think they'd go there.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
For anyone else who has trouble shooting the catapults like me, use the keyboard controls to aim, which are FTGH. For some reason my logitech controller refused to aim the thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I give these steamed buns a 0/10

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is a high Harmony worth giving up having different Affinities for?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So with the weapon changing system, is the only difference between characters is their stats and musou?

edit: Hah, they just skimmed over Huang Gai and Wei Yan joining. Those were long stages in previous games, that's hilarious.

Tae fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 14, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

So with the weapon changing system, is the only difference between characters is their stats and musou?
And they have a unique EX attack with "their" weapon.

edit: and Guan Yu using anything other than a big rear end halberd is just wrong and you are wrong if you do it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is a proper bow acceptable as secondary? 'Master of War' and all, even if he ain't Huang Zhong.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Give all the biggest burliest guys the magical girl wands as a backup weapon.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I gave Dian Wei the battle gloves and magic happened.

I haven't played Dynasty Warriors since 3 or 4 and I forgot how much I love the dumb game despite its flaws. It makes me want a new Romance of the Three Kingdoms or a Three Kingdoms Civ-a-like.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Battle Gloves + Flail is great. Roll around, never let officers do poo poo, throw people into walls, other people, generally cause a ruckus. Having never played a DW game before this I'm really enjoying it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Everyone gets 2 unique EX moves with their innate weapon, which are generally much better than standard moves, and 3 musous.

Meanwhile, while working through the Stone Sentinel Maze, Han Dang decided to Storm Rush his way vertically upwards and out the ceiling.

"Please, pay attention to me." "Yeah, no fuckin' poo poo. :stare:"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ah, wtf the Nanman campaign mission was a sidenote?! When did that become a thing?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh my god, it's Mr Blobby

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

drat, running into the "black screen forever" issue too after having a blast on the first stage. Really hope they'll fix this, none of the various workarounds floating around on the net are doing anything :sigh:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I... Dear God, I need this DLC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speedball posted:

I liked the first NNN, the only thing that really needed improving was the lack of checkpoints or mid stage saves.

NNN2 is really bad, like someone went 'What if all those random mooks were actually really dangerous!' so the game devolves in to you avoiding doing any moves of more than a couple of hits because anything that keeps you still for more than a second means you will get horribly stabbed in the back by off screen enemies and hoping to god your health lasts until the next checkpoint.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Why do they go out of their way to make Liu Shan so creepy :stare: That goddamn face

LeafyGreens fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Octolady posted:

Why do they go out of their way to make Liu Shan so creepy :stare: That goddamn face

What the gently caress is he even supposed to be? Nightwing?