Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i look forward to google glass integrated segway tours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

within a year we'll probably see google fund some film where google glass is an integral part of the plot, almost a character

like, maybe a paranormal murder mystery where the investigator finds the victim's Google Glass™

the plot could be that the murder footage is saved on it but the investigator has to keep recharging it to watch the whole thing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

i look forward to google glass integrated segway tours

aaaaaaaaahhhh no jesus save me

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the plot could be that the murder footage is saved on it but the investigator has to keep recharging it to watch the whole thing.

hmm, that's good but it needs more ghost

the murder footage is saved on it and it's also haunted and when the battery runs out the ghost will disappear

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

google glass integrated segway tours but with bitcoin!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'll start the wiki.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

~rolls on floor, dying~

~is dead~

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

where is your god now?!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

where is your god now?!

incredible

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

that photo manages to encapsulate everything i hate about austin.

startup douchebags, traffic, and endless luxury construction projects.

it is a short list tho because i like this city actually. ever visit hit me up we'll get bbq and/or pie.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
iirc one of those teardown websites figured a BOM for glass under a hundred bucks in parts

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
austin's hosed up because its got like 64 blocks of actual city

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

uncurable mlady posted:

iirc one of those teardown websites figured a BOM for glass under a hundred bucks in parts

sounds about right, it even uses a lovely bulky prism for the display instead of something actually interesting/expensive/groundbreaking such as a holographic screen.

Install Windows posted:

surrounded on all sides by 10 miles of some of the worst anti-density NIMBY idiots you can imagine. but we don't have Prop 13 in Texas so that will work its way out eventually even if it is painful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Install Windows posted:

that's because that's all that austin was 40 years ago

from my dad's descriptions austin and UT sounded like a pretty crazy place circa 68-76

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

surrounded on all sides by 10 miles of some of the worst anti-density NIMBY idiots you can imagine. but we don't have Prop 13 in Texas so that will work its way out eventually even if it is painful.

this is always why it's funny to me when texans complain that it must be all the rural areas loving up their politics.

no you idiots, its all the suburban rpeublicans who are in the heart of your sprawling rear end cities

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

that's texas in general

houston was smaller than Minneapolis in 1970

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
most texas cities are only slightly bigger than new york city in land area despite being so sprawled out, its kinda funny.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

hobbesmaster posted:

from my dad's descriptions austin and UT sounded like a pretty crazy place circa 68-76

it still had a few good parts well into the 90s. the first tech boom was the beginning of it's decline

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
austin's main problem is that people move there from some horrid small town, notice that it isn't as actively poo poo as said small town, and assume it must be the best thing ever and should never change.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

give me a glass and ill xplore w/ it (cave... mountain... sea.. the mall .. sewer... etc)

do it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Install Windows posted:

this is always why it's funny to me when texans complain that it must be all the rural areas loving up their politics.

no you idiots, its all the suburban rpeublicans who are in the heart of your sprawling rear end cities

i wish i could disagree with this but it is true.

the Texas independent spirit apparently includes the directive to make sure that you never have to interact with your neighbors beyond reporting them to the HOA for having a slightly different shade of limestone in their new planter.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
yuppie bastards

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i take like 60% of the blame for it being called hangouts. when the team was split between seattle and sweden we had an internal vchat room where we would idle in the background and ask questions occasionally just like irc that i named hangout. 2 years later, welp. they did realize that talk was a better brand name, but i forget what the other reasons were to switch. they managed to convince the people whose opinions that mattered though.

this is why google is ridiculous to me. there's zero adult supervision. engineers just ~do things~ until something is successful. valve is the same way.

there's this giant huge cash fountain and they've used that to make a playground for engineers with blind faith that this will produce something worthwhile. So far, not so much.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh go???

dart??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

btw as long as you're taking g+ feature requests:

• just make the feed chronological for fucks sake. this thing where you run through what are I'm sure are very clever algorithms designed to show me what I find most interesting are all garbage. Show me the stuff I asked to see, and show it to me in chronological order.
  • that's it, everything else is fine, dont gently caress it up.

ps: thank you for the soundcloud integration

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

uhh go???

dart??

closure compiler is nice

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shifty Pony posted:

that photo manages to encapsulate everything i hate about austin.

startup douchebags, traffic, and endless luxury construction projects.

it is a short list tho because i like this city actually. ever visit hit me up we'll get bbq and/or pie.

you forgot 'is in texas'

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

no atheists in glassholes :monocle:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

duTrieux. posted:

within a year we'll probably see google fund some film where google glass is an integral part of the plot, almost a character

like, maybe a paranormal murder mystery where the investigator finds the victim's Google Glass™

sounds like the sort of poo poo that csi would pick up. if they are even making new episodes idk.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

this is why google is ridiculous to me. there's zero adult supervision. engineers just ~do things~ until something is successful. valve is the same way.

there's this giant huge cash fountain and they've used that to make a playground for engineers with blind faith that this will produce something worthwhile. So far, not so much.

this model actually works for valve, though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

google glass makes me think of the local computer store in everytown, usa, that started out as a little place that didn't advertise much, had the best prices on things, some neat computer related things, maybe a few games on the wall, a clerk who could have a civilized human conversation

then they started bringing in pink kittycat cases and boob mouse pads and they hired fifty college students to stand around and play quake

then the next thing you know they're on the radio every ten minutes selling phones and rice cookers and loving toasters and six months later the place is closed because they ran out of money trying to hock stupid bullshit instead of just selling loving computers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

google glass makes me think of the local computer store in everytown, usa, that started out as a little place that didn't advertise much, had the best prices on things, some neat computer related things, maybe a few games on the wall, a clerk who could have a civilized human conversation

then they started bringing in pink kittycat cases and boob mouse pads and they hired fifty college students to stand around and play quake

then the next thing you know they're on the radio every ten minutes selling phones and rice cookers and loving toasters and six months later the place is closed because they ran out of money trying to hock stupid bullshit instead of just selling loving computers

this is probably the worst analogy ive ever heard fwiw

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Necc0 posted:

it also worked for the institute for advanced studies but i guess experimental physicists and game designers have more self-motivation than the likes of the googlenauts

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Forums Terrorist posted:

it also worked for the institute for advanced studies but i guess experimental physicists and game designers have more self-motivation than the likes of the googlenauts

i'm guessing valve and the physicists are a lot smaller than google -- it's got to be tougher to handle all that randomness as you add more and more people

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it's mostly because the vast majority of their work needs to be creative so hierarchical models will only slow them down / harm that process. the only real 'legacy' stuff they need to support is steam. all their games, once published, can pretty much be ignored as they move onto the next thing.

that's not the same for google. sure they have some departments that need tons of license in order to foster creativity but they spread that mantra to the whole company. being able to do w/e you want does not work for most companies. but google is a unique snowflake and they want to believe that they're the exception

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh come on like 99% of SV startups also believe that.

which is why if you are in the market for a ball pit or pingpong table you'll probably be able to get one cheap once some other place to pour money pops up for capital funds.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Necc0 posted:

id say results are pending tbh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
valve needs a separate group of people for their storefront/customer service stuff

let the game devs play in their ball pit if they want but there are some things that need organization

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
maybe theres a lotta engineers thinking "ugh business things? that's not engineering things so its clearly dumb poo poo for idiots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
startups are good for 2 things:

1) when the users of that service get enraged that facebook/google bought the startup for 26.3 billion dollars

2) cheap herman miller aeron chairs when they go bust

• Locked thread