Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

To be honest I don't really understand the desire to see option A. Mega-blob westernised china just strikes me as supremely un-fun purely because it is entirely likely, if not inevitable, that it will become increasingly powerful. Which means if and when the Roman Empire runs into it in a military way victory may well be utterly impossible due to the sheer weight of numbers that the Ming can summon. Now I may be wrong, but inevitable defeats as our armies are worn down by limitless hordes of Ming soldiers no matter how many individual victories we can achieve just sounds damned dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

BwenGun posted:

To be honest I don't really understand the desire to see option A. Mega-blob westernised china just strikes me as supremely un-fun purely because it is entirely likely, if not inevitable, that it will become increasingly powerful. Which means if and when the Roman Empire runs into it in a military way victory may well be utterly impossible due to the sheer weight of numbers that the Ming can summon. Now I may be wrong, but inevitable defeats as our armies are worn down by limitless hordes of Ming soldiers no matter how many individual victories we can achieve just sounds damned dull.

Quite frankly, because I think it's more sensible than this weird goon backlash against China being even an inch stronger than reality and adding all sorts of WHACKY OTHER ASIAN NATIONS. Seriously, crusader kingdom Thailand?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DerLeo posted:

Quite frankly, because I think it's more sensible than this weird goon backlash against China being even an inch stronger than reality and adding all sorts of WHACKY OTHER ASIAN NATIONS. Seriously, crusader kingdom Thailand?

Maybe some of us like to see wacky poo poo, huh? Maybe some of us know how this game works and know that A is going to be a boring death sentence for RINO. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Maybe some of us like to see wacky poo poo, huh? Maybe some of us know how this game works and know that A is going to be a boring death sentence for RINO. :colbert:

Which is much more boring than a not-"death sentence" game of easy and unhindered expansion. God knows we've barely had any of those.

Even Wiz's AzeriLP saw Azerbaijan become a great power. Our Rome has much more potential than that; let's not shy from erecting obstacles in its way.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

DerLeo posted:

Yeah but that's the thing, as far as I'm aware China is Westernised in both A and B, only with B it's got some rivals to contend with in the immediate vicinity. Either way China is going to be much, much, much, stronger than is the case in vanilla EU. Making it Westernised, aggressive and undisputed Hegemon of Asia from the word go just means that it will never, ever, lose a war against other AI powers and will lead to horrible grind for the player.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

BwenGun posted:

With respect, I think that GreyHunters LPs show that repeated losses can still be interesting to read about. IMO having a powerful (potential) enemy > 0 powerful enemies. The non-Ming nations in option B do not sound like they would be powerful enemies. It does no matter very much that there are wacky nations out there if they never amount to much of anything.

All that said, while I think option b has less potential, Rincewind has done a good job making the LP interesting so far. Hopefully, whicherver option wins, the pessimism of the opposing voters will prove unfounded. At the very least, there'll probably still be senators throwing amusingly-written tantrums and/or Lord Cyrahzax' char being all :agesilaus:.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Caustic Soda posted:

With respect, I think that GreyHunters LPs show that repeated losses can still be interesting to read about. IMO having a powerful (potential) enemy > 0 powerful enemies. The non-Ming nations in option B do not sound like they would be powerful enemies. It does no matter very much that there are wacky nations out there if they never amount to much of anything.

Well, when we get to Vicky II we too can be repeatedly overthrown by rebels every five years. Until then, let's make a EUIV world that would be fun to play outside of RINO and Ming.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Any breakaway states from Ming will probably get reabsorbed anyway.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well, when we get to Vicky II we too can be repeatedly overthrown by rebels every five years. Until then, let's make a EUIV world that would be fun to play outside of RINO and Ming.

Given that my old computer cannot run EUIV, I'd rather see the effort put into nations likely to be relevant to the LP. Your milage will vary for good reason, of course.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Changing the subject for a moment, Rincewind, is it possible to rename the Tech Groups? If so you should change "Western" to "Chinese" since they seem to be the most advanced nation in the world, regardless of votes. That way, we can change the name of Westernization to Sinicization. :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Or one could just go with something simple, like "Modern" or "Advanced." :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm going to abstain from this vote because I don't have strong opinions one way or the other, but I do have a question: will there be events that can allow the Chinese tributary states to throw out the Ming? Like can Yilang throw off the Chinese ruling class and become Persia/Iran if they have a nationalist rebellion of if the Ming homeland collapses, for example?

Yeah, all the Ming Frontier Army successor states have various ways they can fail-- León still has cores in Lai Ang, the Somali successors can reform Somalia if they get enough provinces out of Suo Ma Li, and Persia is still the primary tag for the Persian culture so Yilang can fall to nationalist revolts.

The latter is kind of unlikely, since Yilang is the strongest of the successors, but it's possible.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

DerLeo posted:

Real life gets pretty crazy when you think about it.

A bunch of colonies uniting under a single, untested type of government against the superpower of the world and winning? China never getting its act together long enough to assert its own position of dominance it held throughout most of human history, spending most of the 18th and 19th centuries as Europe's whipping boy? A single genius politician manipulating European powers against each other and eventually uniting an area ruled by a bunch of feudal princes into a dominant power in the 20th century? The Muslims turning their back on science at the height of their Golden Age, ensuring Christianity (and Europe) became the dominant force in the world?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

OK, so, something a tad unrelated to the ongoing vote but related to the LP as a whole. Specifically the Somali-built canal in the Sinai. While something on the scale of the Suez would be pretty ASB-y even for this LP, a canal system built in the Middle Ages isn't as far off as one might think. In fact, there's a system that linked the Red Sea and Mediterranean a significant period before the start of the LP. I'm talking about the Canal of the Pharaohs, linking the Red Sea not only to the Mediterranean, but the Nile as well. This was a Ptolemaic canal, and something in use up to the 8th century. Given that the first real hint at the Somali Republic having trade posts in the Mediterranean (the Nile Delta, to be specific) was in the 13th century here, perhaps it's not too unreasonable that they restored the canal or even improved on the system and they and anyone in control of that portion of Egypt would continue to do so for sheer practicality's sake. It would mean having to alter any proposed editing of canal systems in EU4, but it's a decent and at least historically viable and sensible option.

Apologies if someone has brought this up already, couldn't personally recall it and didn't find anything in double checking the updates, but if I missed something then I guess this can serve as a reminder.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

StrifeHira posted:

OK, so, something a tad unrelated to the ongoing vote but related to the LP as a whole. Specifically the Somali-built canal in the Sinai. While something on the scale of the Suez would be pretty ASB-y even for this LP, a canal system built in the Middle Ages isn't as far off as one might think. In fact, there's a system that linked the Red Sea and Mediterranean a significant period before the start of the LP. I'm talking about the Canal of the Pharaohs, linking the Red Sea not only to the Mediterranean, but the Nile as well. This was a Ptolemaic canal, and something in use up to the 8th century. Given that the first real hint at the Somali Republic having trade posts in the Mediterranean (the Nile Delta, to be specific) was in the 13th century here, perhaps it's not too unreasonable that they restored the canal or even improved on the system and they and anyone in control of that portion of Egypt would continue to do so for sheer practicality's sake. It would mean having to alter any proposed editing of canal systems in EU4, but it's a decent and at least historically viable and sensible option.

Apologies if someone has brought this up already, couldn't personally recall it and didn't find anything in double checking the updates, but if I missed something then I guess this can serve as a reminder.

It has been brought up. The thing about the Canal of the Pharaohs is, by nature of it being a river canal, only ships that would fit on the Nile are really affected by it. If there was some way to make a modifier to let, say, Galleys and Transports through but not Light Ships or Big Ships, that would be an interesting way of representing it. As is, we might as well assume mysterious Chinese secret technology or something and just shrug it off and say that the Suez is where it is IRL, it's a lot more believable than 18th century ships of the line sailing up and down the Nile.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Ah drat, fair enough then!

Though that does sound like a rather intriguing idea, on somehow modding it to allow only smaller ships through. Don't see how it would be possible as-is, but perhaps Wealth of Nations's canal systems could change things up enough to set that as a moddable option. v:v:v

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Patter Song posted:

It has been brought up. The thing about the Canal of the Pharaohs is, by nature of it being a river canal, only ships that would fit on the Nile are really affected by it. If there was some way to make a modifier to let, say, Galleys and Transports through but not Light Ships or Big Ships, that would be an interesting way of representing it. As is, we might as well assume mysterious Chinese secret technology or something and just shrug it off and say that the Suez is where it is IRL, it's a lot more believable than 18th century ships of the line sailing up and down the Nile.

Well they do have explosives...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Or it could have been built the same way the otl canal was - huge gangs of labourers, explosives and incredible loss of life?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

StrifeHira
YF-23
DerLeo
Freudian
Flesnolk
Technowolf
Patter Song
Ghetto Prince
Alexey
Rejected Fate
ThatBasqueGuy
WilliamAnderson
Caustic Soda
Vander
ZearothK
Adept Nightingale
Jimmy4400nav
ThingOne
Mantis42
Danann
Dr karma
silverpower
tatankatonk
Duckbag
Dux Supremus
Raserys
ChrisAsmadi
Soup du Jour
Beet
Muskatnuss
Zikan

TOTAL 31

Rubix Squid
LJN92
Sleep of Bronze
NewMars
AJ_Impy
nothing to seehere
AdventFalls
Necroskowitz
BwenGun
Semquais
Luhood
Aeromancia
lenoon
Captain No-mates
Frozen_flame
Blackunknown
Lord Cyrahzax
Cestrian
RZApublican
Gyra_Solune (/w elements of A?)
Lynneth
monster on a stick
Beerdeer
Hitlers Gay Secret
Pyroi
Talas
mcclay
Lord Windy
Unwise_Cashew
nuvan
MarsDragon
Vagon
Averrences

TOTAl: 32

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
B if it's not too late. I like A, but B has more tricks.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Voting on this closes at midnight EST. If the two stay close, I'll just combine aspects of both of these, since they both have their interesting aspects.

Mod progress report: I'm at the stage where doing more mostly just feels like setting up more things to break when Wealth of Nations comes out that I'll just need to do again later (since national ideas, decisions/policies, unit balancing, India, religion, etc. are all changing pretty heavily, it looks like) so the vote after this will be about Rome itself again-- real Senate business where we determine the party set-up going into EU4. I'll post the details tonight, but start making icons (or dredging up treasured ones from the past) since the party you create (or revive!) could be one of the main parties this time!

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Vote A

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

With the vote so close, I'll go ahead and make a closing pitch for Mandate of Heaven (or at least MoH parts).

I'll say right off the bat that Patter Song's 'Legacy' scenario is an interesting one for China and the Ming. They're surrounded by pliant puppet states, and have no immediate threats in the area. Korea is shattered into (mostly) hermit states and Japan has to deal with the Mongols. For the three most recognizable Asian nations we think about, it's an cool game.

But there's half the problem for me. It's a cool game for those three nations. Vietnam is a tributary nation and a vassal, Thailand appears to not exist, and EU4 China in vanilla was only restrained from world domination by being in the worst tech group - a problem this timeline doesn't have. The other half is that while I recognize a world with a super-powered expansionist Ming would likely have Sinocized states on its periphery, the sheer scale of their European collapse makes me question if the Sinocized states closer to China proper would have been sustained.

Mandate of Heaven? Yeah, Dominion of Amaterasu looks silly on its face. There's a crazy Thailand with Catholic lineage. Vietnam stands strong. And the existence of a strong Ainu-led state might make eyes roll. But Asia is probably the clearest divergence from OTL in this entire timeline. With the technological and potentially philosophical center lying on China's side of the world, it stands to reason that the past ~50 years of Chinese aggression WOULD have caused everyone else to reevaluate their places in the world. It should be crazy, and it should arguably feel like the 'Europe' of vanilla EU4 - not in the sense of a bunch of squabbling princedoms, but that there's a bunch of nations that a player could pick and have it be a unique game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'll just briefly say that in my proposal with the exception of Annam (which more or less would correspond to 20th century North Vietnam) there'd be no Chinese vassals south of Ming until you get to the "Zheng He" outer ring (Malacca, Brunei, Ceylon, Zanzibar), none of which would be vassals in my scenario but independent Sinicized states like Persia and Somalia and Leon already are in the mod. Southeast Asia would not start off Ming-dominated, and there's plenty of leeway for Rince to adjust things in my proposal, possibly including a powerful Thai state, or possibly including a great deal of Thai states: you never stated which "Thailand" your Catholic one is. What's its capital, what's its orientation? Is it based in Sukhothai? Ayutthaya? Thonburi? Bangkok?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I'll just briefly say that in my proposal with the exception of Annam (which more or less would correspond to 20th century North Vietnam) there'd be no Chinese vassals south of Ming until you get to the "Zheng He" outer ring (Malacca, Brunei, Ceylon, Zanzibar), none of which would be vassals in my scenario but independent Sinicized states like Persia and Somalia and Leon already are in the mod. Southeast Asia would not start off Ming-dominated, and there's plenty of leeway for Rince to adjust things in my proposal, possibly including a powerful Thai state, or possibly including a great deal of Thai states: you never stated which "Thailand" your Catholic one is. What's its capital, what's its orientation? Is it based in Sukhothai? Ayutthaya? Thonburi? Bangkok?

Bangkok. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an A&B scenario mix and that's probably where we're heading.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
By the way, one of the reasons I've been so hopeful about Annam (and have proposed it as a tag in Visc's LP and this one) is because it has a cool flag and is a ready-made tag in EU4 and yet it never, ever appears in game and no one puts it into mods because they're boring and use the Dai Viet tag for everything Vietnam-related, so I'd really like to see Annam be the Vietnam tag of the game for once.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
##Vote B!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I quite like A, and I haven't voted yet.
##VOTE A

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

I quite like A, and I haven't voted yet.
##VOTE A

Same here. I will come out of lurking to help ensure A victory.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
Vote A because B has some very silly elements and Zheng He was pretty cool.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

##VOTE A

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Vote B

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
##Vote B

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Vote B, because I like the silly elements.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I feel like we have enough 'silly' Paradox LPs going that the pendulum can swing back to the more 'realistic' Wiz-style narrative. And I think it would be neat to get a plausible alternate history where China was the superpower of the modern era.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

:siren: Vote closed!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

StrifeHira
YF-23
DerLeo
Freudian
Flesnolk
Technowolf
Patter Song
Ghetto Prince
Alexey
Rejected Fate
ThatBasqueGuy
WilliamAnderson
Caustic Soda
Vander
ZearothK
Adept Nightingale
Jimmy4400nav
ThingOne
Mantis42
Danann
Dr karma
silverpower
tatankatonk
Duckbag
Dux Supremus
Raserys
ChrisAsmadi
Soup du Jour
Beet
Muskatnuss
Zikan
Talky
Ghostwoods
RubricMarine
Dire Wombat
Alikchi

TOTAL 36

Rubix Squid
LJN92
Sleep of Bronze
NewMars
AJ_Impy
nothing to seehere
AdventFalls
Necroskowitz
BwenGun
Semquais
Luhood
Aeromancia
lenoon
Captain No-mates
Frozen_flame
Blackunknown
Lord Cyrahzax
Cestrian
RZApublican
Gyra_Solune (/w elements of A?)
Lynneth
monster on a stick
Beerdeer
Hitlers Gay Secret
Pyroi
Talas
mcclay
Lord Windy
Unwise_Cashew
nuvan
MarsDragon
Vagon
Averrences
Readingaccount
Fox Ironic
Roadie
cokerpilot
Grizzwold

TOTAl: 38

A very close vote, and between the two vote margin and Gyra_Solune (and probably some others) explicitly voting for combinations of A and B, so we'll be combining aspects of A and B into a mighty cyborg Asia.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Cyborg Asia is the best Asia! I can honestly say I'm happy to go with it.

So, when can we expect the senatorial parties thing to open up?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Probably tomorrow, when I have time to write up a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Any hints as to what exactly we will or wont be seeing in cyborg Asia?

• Locked thread