Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

VJeff posted:

This is the key thing that all the other Abridged parodies, including Yu-Gi-Oh, the one that started this whole nutty trend, just seem to lack: a genuine unabashed affection for the source material. All the others Abridged serieses I've watched are too busy shittalking the thing that's responsible for their existence that they forget to actually be entertaining.

I felt like Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged had that similar quality -- keeping the important stuff faithful but having a lot of fun with it. I suppose it's not a coincidence that Lanipator is so heavily involved in both (Rip YYH Abridged)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

That's the big problem I have with the entire "Abridged" series thing. Everyone's so focused on cranking them out so they can get views and by getting views, they get that sweet, sweet ad revenue. The main reason Yu Gi Oh and DBZ work is that it's been long enough that people can be nostalgic about the series. You can't be nostalgic and go "Boy I remember back in the day when Attack on Titan did some crazy stuff" when "back in the day" was about 4 weeks after the episode aired.

Its worth pointing out that to my knowledge, neither Yugioh or DBZ abridged get any money from ad revenues. Its actually why they started their gaming channels, in the hope that by providing some completely original content they can get money to fun their primary work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't know about YuGiOh, but I know TFS had some major problems with takedown requests throughout the first season. I think they finally got episode 1 put back on their account sometime last year. So I can see why they're taking every precaution to emphasize the parody nature of the series and avoid any more issues.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

Its worth pointing out that to my knowledge, neither Yugioh or DBZ abridged get any money from ad revenues. Its actually why they started their gaming channels, in the hope that by providing some completely original content they can get money to fun their primary work.

Fair point, and that's where I actually stopped watching DBZ Abridged. I thought the whole Nappa joke was played out and just got unfunny by the time they started doing Two Saiyans Play. That combined with most of my friends jumping on it like it was Napoleon Dynamite and quoting it all the time kinda killed it for me.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

TARDISman posted:

That's the big problem I have with the entire "Abridged" series thing. Everyone's so focused on cranking them out so they can get views and by getting views, they get that sweet, sweet ad revenue. The main reason Yu Gi Oh and DBZ work is that it's been long enough that people can be nostalgic about the series. You can't be nostalgic and go "Boy I remember back in the day when Attack on Titan did some crazy stuff" when "back in the day" was about 4 weeks after the episode aired.

TFS's Attack on Titan Abridged is hilarious and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TARDISman posted:

Fair point, and that's where I actually stopped watching DBZ Abridged. I thought the whole Nappa joke was played out and just got unfunny by the time they started doing Two Saiyans Play. That combined with most of my friends jumping on it like it was Napoleon Dynamite and quoting it all the time kinda killed it for me.

Man, I didn't find Nappa funny at all and I audibly groaned when he came back as a ghost.

The movie producer bit was funny though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VJeff posted:

Man, I didn't find Nappa funny at all and I audibly groaned when he came back as a ghost.

The movie producer bit was funny though.

Did you at least laugh when he showed up in the christmas special?

:) - Tonight you will be haunted by three ghoooooosts! And they're all me. *Pop* *Pop* Hi.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought Nappa was the funniest part of the early parts of DBZA, but eventually he leapt into his own meme form and they recognized it and downplayed him heavily over time and even point out how tired his sthick is in the Kai Abridged series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5Rhn8zuPA

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

^^Just realized we haven't heard from the Narrator in a long time^^

Shindragon posted:

We already know his Perfect Cell voice, it's gonna be glorious.

Seriously? Where is that?

Also, as a guy that never watched the series growing up I had no idea Bojack was an actual character. I can NOT loving wait to see if they do his movie :allears:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never understood why Bojack is so popular. He's got a really boring character design, and what even is his deal? He's a pirate that was sealed inside King Kai's planet, or some poo poo? Zangya and Bujin were more visually interesting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ad revenue? Abridging was done way before that was even a thing to exploit, like years before Pewdepie. It's really old in internet standard.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blue Star posted:

I've never understood why Bojack is so popular. He's got a really boring character design, and what even is his deal? He's a pirate that was sealed inside King Kai's planet, or some poo poo? Zangya and Bujin were more visually interesting.

He's not. He's just some guy Gohan got to beat the poo poo out of. Hell, I think Zangya's been in more games than Bojack.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Honestly I think the concept is more fun than the actual character, which is probably why the Abridged series has kept him a disembodied voice so far.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Triskelli posted:

Please support the official release.Im dumm.

Though I do hope they do something drastic when Cell loses his cool.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 14, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Triskelli posted:

^^Just realized we haven't heard from the Narrator in a long time^^

Also, as a guy that never watched the series growing up I had no idea Bojack was an actual character. I can NOT loving wait to see if they do his movie :allears:

Voice spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETB5URGolM

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

God, this is going to be great. All three forms. Holy poo poo.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm still a little disappointed that Remix didn't get to do Cell since I felt he rocked the Perfect Cell voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bw1PXNRWo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think I like Imperfect Cell better because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uoQicKTZdg

Whenever Cell's music started playing in DBZ I was like aw gently caress yeah, poo poo's gonna get real

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Cell had amazing themes. It's kind of a shame that the very nature of an Abridged series makes it really hard to use slower paced songs, because this was just the best.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

God, this is going to be great. All three forms. Holy poo poo.

I'm most excited for the second form, honestly. It'll be funnier than creepy-rear end Cell 1, without being like Perfect Cell and sharing a lot of Freeza's "Posh British" gimmick.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Captain Quack posted:

Regarding the Saiyans race, they didn't seen to be a Race that trained to get stronger. They always seen, to me, a proud race of their natural "power level" and just go straight brawling sometimes get a little stronger in the process.
Goku was a game changer, to Vegeta at least. I think Vegeta never actually trained prior meeting Goku, he was always "I'm the prince of Saiyans... The most powerful Sayan... I'm naturally stronger... wada wada...", Goku that actually introduce him the ideia to train to get more powerful.

Agreed. It's interesting that fine-tuned control of ki (being able to sense, lower/raise, or concentrate it) is virtually unheard-of to them. When your base power is already relatively overwhelming, why bother with the subtleties? The basics will suffice.

Vire posted:

I thought I remember a scene where vegeta was young practicing against a bunch of saibamen. So I am not sure that is true about them never training.

Well, just because Saiyans are born powerful doesn't mean that they automatically know martial arts or the basics of using their ki. It would make sense that children would have to train a little bit to learn how to use their natural powers. Once they've matured, though, the idea of training probably seems unnecessary since they already outclass 99% of their potential opponents.

By way of contrast, Goku was (1) naturally weak and therefore outclassed by most of his opponents, thereby requiring constant training to improve and (2) raised by people who valued training, rather than in the Saiyan culture.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

surf rock posted:

Agreed. It's interesting that fine-tuned control of ki (being able to sense, lower/raise, or concentrate it) is virtually unheard-of to them. When your base power is already relatively overwhelming, why bother with the subtleties? The basics will suffice.

Well, just because Saiyans are born powerful doesn't mean that they automatically know martial arts or the basics of using their ki. It would make sense that children would have to train a little bit to learn how to use their natural powers. Once they've matured, though, the idea of training probably seems unnecessary since they already outclass 99% of their potential opponents.

By way of contrast, Goku was (1) naturally weak and therefore outclassed by most of his opponents, thereby requiring constant training to improve and (2) raised by people who valued training, rather than in the Saiyan culture.

Yup, there is a great quote Apollo Creed says near the end of Rocky 3 that describes this well. "You fight great, but I'm a great fighter." There is a real difference. Even power wise they are about equal or nearly equal, Goku is a fighting genius, and years of actually learning how to fight paid off.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cell was seriously the best villain and the best arc, especially because we'll be getting Mr. Satan soon to make things even better. :allears:

And to continue the saiyan chat, I always saw it like Vegeta was just naturally gifted, so that he was dedicated to training and being strong and all that, but never really had to try to achieve things and was always on top. Goku, in contrast, as just a lowly "foot soldier", really did have to work hard to become stronger and overcome his obstacles. It's the typical shonen "Hard work and perseverance will triumph over evil" deal in its most basic form.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chieves posted:

Cell was seriously the best villain and the best arc, especially because we'll be getting Mr. Satan soon to make things even better. :allears:

Mr. Satan will be a completely serious dedicated warrior wanting to avenge the deaths Cell caused.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

WickedHate posted:

Mr. Satan will be a completely serious dedicated warrior wanting to avenge the deaths Cell caused.

He will be incredibly hilarious and you will quote everything he says.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They could use Mr. Satan's actual lines from the show and he'd still be second best character behind my boy Tween Gohan

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm still excited for both Super Saiyan transformations Gohan will do and so annoyed at how much more content there is to cover before then.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

surf rock posted:

And that's why there aren't Super Saiyans for a thousands of years. The Saiyans were just sitting there waiting to it naturally happen.

On the other hand if you consider Broly canon it actually naturally happened.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He will be incredibly hilarious and you will quote everything he says.

He'll have a bad case of exploding knees.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one thing I can't wait to see is Krillin beaming Goku with a rock. If only to see what justification they give Krillin for even trying that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blue Star posted:

Only bringing it up because I'm a pedantic rear end, but Bojack isn't actually sealed inside King Kai's planet. Bojack was sealed inside a star by the four Kaio's and released when King Kai died (Even though he was ressurected almost immediately.

It IS however, funnier to have him be a pirate trapped inside the planet, so I let it slide for the abridged guys.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

The one thing I can't wait to see is Krillin beaming Goku with a rock. If only to see what justification they give Krillin for even trying that.

I sorta want them to go the Kai route and timeskip all the filler so we can get to psychotic SSJ2 Gohan as soon as possible.

Like that General Tao subplot. It's alright, but I want the good stuff or it's gonna take forever.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dragonatrix posted:

:byodood: Dooooooóóóoooodge

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't know how much Japan like bojack but I think a lot of his popularity in the west is mainly due to the fact that Bojack Unbound is just a really good DBZ movie. A point in his favor is that Bojack's strong but he's not invincible to the point of ridiculousness like Broly and Super 13.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Caros posted:

Only bringing it up because I'm a pedantic rear end, but Bojack isn't actually sealed inside King Kai's planet. Bojack was sealed inside a star by the four Kaio's and released when King Kai died (Even though he was ressurected almost immediately.

:spergin: King Kai never resurrects actually.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Blue Star posted:

It's probably the best movie plus it's the only one that actually adds to DBZ a little rather than being a lovely side story.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Szmitten posted:

I sorta want them to go the Kai route and timeskip all the filler so we can get to psychotic SSJ2 Gohan as soon as possible.

Like that General Tao subplot. It's alright, but I want the good stuff or it's gonna take forever.

I'm pretty sure Kai kept Krillin hucking a rock at Goku just for shits and giggles.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Petiso posted:

:spergin: King Kai never resurrects actually.

Huh. Always thought he'd have come back with the 'people killed by cell' wish.

Sticky Keys Man
Oct 24, 2007
Just my package...

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm most excited for the second form, honestly. It'll be funnier than creepy-rear end Cell 1, without being like Perfect Cell and sharing a lot of Freeza's "Posh British" gimmick.

What's going to help, too, is that Semi-Perfect Cell does almost nothing but get his rear end kicked any time he's on screen. Seriously, Tien, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan- even Goku fucks his last-ditch suicide maneuver. The guy was basically a punching bag, and it's going to be hilarious in abridged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sticky Keys Man posted:

What's going to help, too, is that Semi-Perfect Cell does almost nothing but get his rear end kicked any time he's on screen. Seriously, Tien, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan- even Goku fucks his last-ditch suicide maneuver. The guy was basically a punching bag, and it's going to be hilarious in abridged.

Not to mention being the source of the other old as balls internet meme associated with DBZ

shoop da whoop

• Locked thread