Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Liquid Penguins posted:

I stopped playing when they removed vac support. Has there been any word/progress on anti-cheat?

I got killed by poison bolt avelyn's and a noclipper today, which led me to uninstall. So, nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Penguins posted:

I stopped playing when they removed vac support. Has there been any word/progress on anti-cheat?

Don't hold your breath.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I got killed by poison bolt avelyn's and a noclipper today, which led me to uninstall. So, nope!

Cmon son, put some more effort in that trolling. Seriously if one hacker killing you leads to uninstalling the game then I don't know what to say.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Cmon son, put some more effort in that trolling. Seriously if one hacker killing you leads to uninstalling the game then I don't know what to say.

Yeah every online game ever has hackers. Even when DS2 has no protection the hackers are few and far apart.

I've only had like one experience with a hacker, dude with a mastadon greatsword. Was pretty good in a fight, I couldn't get a hit in on him, then he gets me with the third strike of a combo but I could just tank it until he ran out of stamina and counter attack.

He swung an additional five times and I died. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
With a little luck with Chunk drops I finally took the leap and transitioned from pure Strength to a Strength/Faith build someone recommended earlier and wow this is way more fun. I still get to slap around fools with maces and giant clubs but I can now also annihilate them at range with giant lightning bolts, gently caress yeah.

How are the Pilgrims of Dark dungeons? I just hit Drangleic Castle, can I do them now or are they endgame difficulty?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Theyre very short but have powerful npc phantoms in them. Also very dark, its easy to fall to your death without a torch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pierson posted:

With a little luck with Chunk drops I finally took the leap and transitioned from pure Strength to a Strength/Faith build someone recommended earlier and wow this is way more fun. I still get to slap around fools with maces and giant clubs but I can now also annihilate them at range with giant lightning bolts, gently caress yeah.

How are the Pilgrims of Dark dungeons? I just hit Drangleic Castle, can I do them now or are they endgame difficulty?

You can do them now, but the dungeon in black gulch forces you to take two phantoms at a time, and it can be pretty rough.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

It wasn't just 'one hacker', it's the principle of the fact that FROM can't even be assed to do a simple "Is this person using an invalid item that isn't supposed to be in the game during online play?" check. I got my few hundred hours in, and I had my fun, but I'm done until there is some bare-bones protection.

Gay Rumsfeld fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 14, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

its easy to fall to your death without a torch.

Only in the Drangleic one. The others don't have those water sections.

Honestly, as a Faith build, they're really easy. Just use binoculars and snipe the phantoms one at a time.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Cheaters suck, but they're really not that bad or common. You die and move on.

The only time it's even significant is if you kill a super leveled one that leaves you with a way higher soul memory than desireable. Or if you run into the types from DS1 that would curse and delevel you with attacks or whatever, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that yet.

Personally, I just use that mod to auto backup my saves every 10 minutes. I'm not even worried about cheaters really but it gives a nice wide safety-net for all sort of weirness outside of my control like save game corruption.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

Drangleic Castle pretty much is the endgame. I'd say 5-10 hours left depending on how much you die.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So which bonfire do I ascetic if I want to farm the onion knight? And aside from onion knight, shadow set and aurous set are there any annoying NG+ only farms?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Soldiers Rest, the third one in the forest.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So which bonfire do I ascetic if I want to farm the onion knight? And aside from onion knight, shadow set and aurous set are there any annoying NG+ only farms?

The painting guardian set in Aldia's.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I assume the first bonfire is for the painting guardian? Just gotta get those and then I'm gonna get back on track with PVP!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nope its the second one. So you have to refight the boss on every attempt.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Pierson posted:

Pretty much endgame content. Theyre really small and linear but even the caster NPCs in there have over 2k health and they all hit hard with endgame weapons and spells.

It can be still be done now if you really want, but its also nice to have a little something left after the game anyway. I ended up waiting until after I had taken down all the other optional bosses since it takes an effigy to open each chamber (and re-open when you die there) and I didn't want to worry about running through my supply before Vendrick and Ancient Dragon.

Since youve got the faith, I'd HIGHLY recommend bringing along Force or one of its variants for the Drangleic dungeon. Turns that part into a cakewalk, reasonably helpful in the other ones.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 14, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did the abyss dungeons before I went to Amana, it's not that bad but you're really gonna want good ranged options if you go in early. And I don't mean some lovely shortbow for pulling enemies, you'll want damage.

Oh, and when you go to fight the Darklurker do it from the gate in Shaded Woods. It's the easiest to do, though not the quickest to reach.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Or just powerstance maces and easily beat everything in the dungeons.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah if you have anything that can break their poise its doable without range. Alternatively just backstab them after dodging their attacks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And then you'll get blown up by the pyromancers. They're the real threat, and in Black Gulch the first one gets set off the same time the melee one does.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh, and when you go to fight the Darklurker do it from the gate in Shaded Woods. It's the easiest to do, though not the quickest to reach.

I had it pretty easy with the Drangleic one since its super short and using Force can take out everyone without a sweat other than one enemy thats kind of a chump anyway.

Even then, once I tried running past them all to save myself the 20 seconds that all takes, but there was a fogwall (fogfloor?) blocking portal down to Darklurker. Guess it counts them as invaders or something until you kill them all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You gotta kill all the enemies I think. Pretty sure the weird monster counts too, but I don't remember for sure.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I picked up a bat staff off an enemy, is it worth upgrading and using over my +10 archdrake staff?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jose posted:

I picked up a bat staff off an enemy, is it worth upgrading and using over my +10 archdrake staff?

The bat staff is extremely useful for instantly poisoning things. I guess it might be okay for other things, I don't know, but you can instantly poison people/monsters with it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's silly good for pvp, while they are in a panic that they are suddenly poisoned they are also completely blind from the giant black fog covering their screen and likely won't see the barrage of spells coming their way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How effective is dark fog on bosses? I'm not using it at the minute but wouldn't be against changing what spells I use if the poison is that good. As for infusing staves/chimes, whats the best way to do it, at the minute i'm 46 int/22fth

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Every person I've thought was cheating has just turned out to be really laggy, I think people see cheaters when they aren't there. I'm sure they exist but they really don't seem that common, I imagine people scared of being VAC banned is enough.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jose posted:

How effective is dark fog on bosses? I'm not using it at the minute but wouldn't be against changing what spells I use if the poison is that good. As for infusing staves/chimes, whats the best way to do it, at the minute i'm 46 int/22fth

Dark fog is mainly useful for PVP. Most bosses have way too much health for poison fog to be useful even if it poisoned them.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The only blatant cheaters I've ever seen are the ones that take no damage whatsoever even after repeated poundings.

Everything else is lag, and occasionally messed up frames (like in that Pursuer gif). To an extent I've gotten accustomed to it. If an opponent is across the room and swings their weapon, I roll anyway. :v:

It's super-annoying and something should be done about it, but I'm more worried that they think I'm cheating, since I can only imagine if others can seemingly hit me from far away, it can seem like I'm doing the same to them. I promise you, man, I don't throw punches unless you LOOK like you're in range. I ain't pullin' a Dhalsim on ya. :ohdear:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The only clear chaters I've seen have been killable, but with inflated stats/level. Like gaining 500k souls from one Red invader kill when I'm like SM 2 million.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Attestant posted:

The only clear chaters I've seen have been killable, but with inflated stats/level. Like gaining 500k souls from one Red invader kill when I'm like SM 2 million.

The only infinite HP cheater I've really seen are regular players that don't have the sense to turn off online mode while playing. I wouldn't mind them if I wasnt wasting cracked orbs on them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The one guy I'm pretty sure was cheating was a red phantom with a katana whose health would go down from attacks, but he'd instantly recover back to full as soon as the stunlock combo ended, or even in between strikes. I don't think lag is the problem there. And since he was a red phantom, I'm pretty sure he was doing it deliberately.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

Every person I've thought was cheating has just turned out to be really laggy, I think people see cheaters when they aren't there.
Lag can do some weird poo poo. I had an invader in the Belfry Luna yesterday who just stood there, not moving. I hit him 5 times and his healthbar didn't move. So I reckoned it was an AFK cheater and moved on. I was almost at the foggate, when I got teleported into a backstab on the ground floor.
And as the You Died message pops up and the screen turns dark, I see the guy taking 5 hits out nowhere and die as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've seen probably 7 or 8 obvious cheaters, the vast majority from being a blue cop.

When a guy takes no damage from repeatedly getting backstabbed(Animation and all), I think you can stop blaming it on lag.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I don't suppose any of you is ghf on the Iron Keep bridge? I swear I saw someone post a picture of the exact same build as this guy.

(he keeps beating me)

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 14, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Cowcaster posted:

Well, on the one hand all the parries in Dark Souls 1 were instant, so you could probably build an argument out of that.

Yeah but you had to be in position for it and the attacker could dead angle an attack. I like DS2's system way better bur parries are all timing now so having a parry tool that you don't really have to time is hosed up.

Like if you could parry a zwei in 1 at any range and they couldn't dead angle zweis would be unuseable.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Broken Cog posted:

I've seen probably 7 or 8 obvious cheaters, the vast majority from being a blue cop.

When a guy takes no damage from repeatedly getting backstabbed(Animation and all), I think you can stop blaming it on lag.

Yeah you can start blaming it on the ring that makes players take no damage from behind, including backstabs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Symphonie posted:

Yeah you can start blaming it on the ring that makes players take no damage from behind, including backstabs.

You mean that incredibly obvious "Don't try to backstab me" ghost-ring? Didn't see any of them using that.

Besides, you can't even get the animation going if they're wearing that AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

That ring has a really obvious effect. If they don't take damage from locked animations (parries/riposte) but are otherwise moving about and being active and not particularly laggy they are cheaters.

e:

Broken Cog posted:

You mean that incredibly obvious "Don't try to backstab me" ghost-ring? Didn't see any of them using that.

Besides, you can't even get the animation going if they're wearing that AFAIK.

You can go into the animation but it won't do damage. The Ironclad armor prevents the animation.