Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ignoarints posted:

but this 1440p monitor is stressing 770 memory bus even in SLI, so obviously the only answer is 780ti"

Marvelous logic there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Alereon posted:

VR-Zone is reporting that nVidia's dual-GPU GTX Titan Z has been canceled, likely because nVidia was not willing to launch it at a price that would be competitive with the $1500 Radeon R9 295X2. This makes some sense given that nVidia was targeting $3000 for the GTX Titan Z.

I'm surprised about this only because since the Titan-Z is a dual precision GPU, I figured it would have value in the compute market. Maybe nVidia doesn't want it competing with Quadros?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I'm surprised about this only because since the Titan-Z is a dual precision GPU, I figured it would have value in the compute market. Maybe nVidia doesn't want it competing with Quadros?
I actually think these cards already exist and are being sold to nVidia's HPC partners, this just means they'll never be productized for sale to the general public.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

Marvelous logic there.

I'm just along for the ride

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I wonder if they will just skip straight to Pascal sometime next year rather than go with 20nm.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Alereon posted:

VR-Zone is reporting that nVidia's dual-GPU GTX Titan Z has been canceled, likely because nVidia was not willing to launch it at a price that would be competitive with the $1500 Radeon R9 295X2. This makes some sense given that nVidia was targeting $3000 for the GTX Titan Z.

And for a lot of other reasons that make sense. This would have been a lateral production for them and entirely showboating, it's not hurting their brand one bit not to be able to say "we have the world's fastest, most difficult to use loving tectonic movement of a card here, lemme tell ya, I don't even know if it's going to fit in your case, I think it probably violates the poo poo out of PCI-e spec, just, wow, this thing guys! Wow!"

We are fine without Titan Z.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Animal posted:

All I play is World of Tanks which only supports one GPU. So I will be selling one of my 780's if anyone is interested.

Why do you guys say stuff like this, as if there's no chance of you ever gaining interest in a different game?

In other news, looks like I might be getting a pair of SLI 780's myself for free, via expiring Dell.com promo funbucks. I have the Oculus DK2 preordered, hopefully this should be able to run just about anything at the 75hz max that the kit has.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Honestly, you should sell one of those or give it to a friend. 1920x1080x75Hz is not a difficult target for a 780 by any stretch of the imagination, and two will be worth a lot less than cash-in-pocket or making someone's day.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Why do you guys say stuff like this, as if there's no chance of you ever gaining interest in a different game?

In other news, looks like I might be getting a pair of SLI 780's myself for free, via expiring Dell.com promo funbucks. I have the Oculus DK2 preordered, hopefully this should be able to run just about anything at the 75hz max that the kit has.

Because of my work and penchant for traveling, I only spend about an entire week at home, spread out across a month. Next month I have vacation and will be home for a total of 3 days. And then when I am home I am playing a game that can only use one GPU. I already beat the games that can utilize SLI (Crysis 3, Metros) and there seems nothing is coming that is ambitious save for Watchdog which I bet will run just fine with one 780 at 1600p.

I have this badass gaming PC, yet I seem to do most of my gaming away from home on a rMBP. So for me it makes sense to sell one and use the money to pay for an iPad that I will take with me when traveling. Or sell both, get a 780 Ti, and pocket the rest.

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 13, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah it's up to you, and I don't know if the occulus has any special requirements but if it is indeed just roughly 1080p I'd probably just use one *or* don't open either, sell them, and get a 780ti if you really want to be in complete overkill and get a little money out of it. I only say this because I don't think it'd be worth the PSU and heat alone to run 780 SLI at that resolution, not even considering that they won't be utilized fully.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Animal posted:

Watchdogs

Watch Dogs is going to be CPU bound anyway. (Unless you happen to have dual Xeons or something. Probably even then.)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
First time I ever had a so-so experience with Amazon. Their price dropped slightly on the same 770 I bought from them, so I asked about a price match. And they simply don't do that, even with their own stuff (with a few exceptions).

I was on the fence anyways, so I'll just be returning it outright and selling the other, which actually is new as well from them but slightly out of their return policy. I had originally bought a used one but flipped it for profit.

I noticed now that you get a Watch Dogs code with that same card. So if I return this, buy another, resell the NIB one for a slight loss, sell the watchdogs code for some of its value, I may come out on top with a 780ti with no money in.

:angel:

Of course all this to just step backwards. Which is weird. But focusing on the long game I guess. Is the blower reference style cooler better in this case because of future SLI?

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 13, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So the shield is only $199 now, Is it worth buying? How is latency over wifi? internet?

Ignoarints posted:

First time I ever had a so-so experience with Amazon. They're price dropped slightly on the same 770 I bought from them, so I asked about a price match. And they simply don't do that, even with their own stuff (with a few exceptions).

I was on the fence anyways, so I'll just be returning it outright and selling the other, which actually is new as well from them but slightly out of their return policy. I had originally bought a used one but flipped it for profit.

I noticed now that you get a Watch Dogs code with that same card. So if I return this, buy another, resell the NIB one for a slight loss, sell the watchdogs code for some of its value, I may come out on top with a 780ti with no money in.

:angel:

Make sure you avoid newegg in that case as they attach a ridiculous value to their game code ($90 for that loving UE4 ghost game) so if you have to return the card and dont send the code slip they gently caress you.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

So the shield is only $199 now, Is it worth buying? How is latency over wifi? internet?

Make sure you avoid newegg in that case as they attach a ridiculous value to their game code ($90 for that loving UE4 ghost game) so if you have to return the card and dont send the code slip they gently caress you.

Hmmm thanks. I won't even be opening it, but still, I can feel the web of hassle. I don't even need to do any of that really.

I'll look into it to see if it's worth it. Does newegg not send codes frequently?

edit: to be clear, I'm not trying to scam anyone for a free code. I'll just be selling the NIB privately for a small loss in order to sell the game code (if it ends up being worthwhile)

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 13, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

Hmmm thanks. I won't even be opening it, but still, I can feel the web of hassle. I don't even need to do any of that really.

I'll look into it to see if it's worth it. Does newegg not send codes frequently?

Here is the deal, I buy a $250 video card on amazon or tigerdirect. They ship the card and send me a code. If I need to return the card for some reason, no sweat. I get my $250 back.

Now i buy the same $250 card from newegg. They effectively charge me $160 for the card and $90 for the "free game". So now its 13 days and ive redeemed the game or sold it off and I need to return the card cause its leaking fan oil all over my computer.

Newegg only refunds me $160 cause i dont have the unused code anymore.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Here is the deal, I buy a $250 video card on amazon or tigerdirect. They ship the card and send me a code. If I need to return the card for some reason, no sweat. I get my $250 back.

Now i buy the same $250 card from newegg. They effectively charge me $160 for the card and $90 for the "free game". So now its 13 days and ive redeemed the game or sold it off and I need to return the card cause its leaking fan oil all over my computer.

That's pretty lame.

When I consider shipping, tax money I won't be getting back, the actual value of watch dogs, and whatever small loss I take for reselling NIB, perhaps I'll just avoid all that poo poo instead and throw a little money in.

Well... it'd be like $20-$40. Ehhh...

anyways wrong thread,

Is the reference blower style cooler recommended for 780ti SLI? Am I losing out by buying one of those over another brand?

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 13, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Newegg doesn't even allow returns on high end video cards unless it's DOA. So gently caress them for that too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Is the reference blower style cooler recommended for 780ti SLI? Am I losing out by buying one of those over another brand?

Yes. If you are going reference buy based on price/warranty/support.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

deimos posted:

Netflix is streaming their series at 4K, I am assuming that the source material is 4K :shrug:

And follow up on this, they just confirmed that they are working 4K+ for their entire chain for their shows on the Streaming Media conference. 2TB per hour of content.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

They do tell you in the fine print that they charge you the code "value" in the case of returns. If you must buy from Newegg, don't touch the code until you're sure the card is good. Maybe file a chargeback, I'll bet your credit card company takes your side and Newegg says "eh gently caress it" when they have to counter-dispute.

Here's a secret: Nvidia gives them those codes for free, so it doesn't cost them anything to give them out. The $90 is them pulling free money out of thin air and they have their lawyers to thank for it.

Here's another secret: I've returned... seriously, about two dozen different video cards to Microcenter (hey, I build systems for people and half the Open Box stuff they sell is DOA) and not once have they asked about the game codes because they give no fucks. I've made about $500 selling them.

Factory Factory posted:

Honestly, you should sell one of those or give it to a friend. 1920x1080x75Hz is not a difficult target for a 780 by any stretch of the imagination, and two will be worth a lot less than cash-in-pocket or making someone's day.

Well, I fibbed a bit... I reserved two Oculus kits. I was going to see about flipping one for a profit but if that isn't practical by the time I get it, I was just going to Enter the Matrix with my co-op homies.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Hum. Well I guess I shouldn't feel so bad. I did just order from Tiger Direct because they are advertising the code and they are at the sale price. I guess I have one last opportunity to decide if I'm going to keep the 770 SLI setup and just get a free code out of it. Or return/sell it and sell my other as well. I already setup the return of one to amazon because not pricing matching your own website during the return period is kind of lame.

Ugh I just don't know. It is a significant drop in performance I can't ignore. At the very least, I'll save some money and get a free game code.

Yeah perhaps not. After a new PSU, who knows when I'd be ready to drop another $700 (or so) on another card. Oh well. Especially if devils canyon chips prove to be far more overclockable I might want to invest in that for now

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 13, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

They do tell you in the fine print that they charge you the code "value" in the case of returns. If you must buy from Newegg, don't touch the code until you're sure the card is good. Maybe file a chargeback, I'll bet your credit card company takes your side and Newegg says "eh gently caress it" when they have to counter-dispute.

Here's a secret: Nvidia gives them those codes for free, so it doesn't cost them anything to give them out. The $90 is them pulling free money out of thin air and they have their lawyers to thank for it.

Here's another secret: I've returned... seriously, about two dozen different video cards to Microcenter (hey, I build systems for people and half the Open Box stuff they sell is DOA) and not once have they asked about the game codes because they give no fucks. I've made about $500 selling them.

Well, I fibbed a bit... I reserved two Oculus kits. I was going to see about flipping one for a profit but if that isn't practical by the time I get it, I was just going to Enter the Matrix with my co-op homies.

I bought 3 different 7970s from Microcenter last year and returned 2 of them. I still have codes that work for the never settle bundle from all of that :)

Heh, I also got a free code for some game when I bought and returned that open box 780 I decided not to keep.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anyone on Catalyst 14.x having issues with Chrome's GPU process doing dumb poo poo when coming back from sleep? My chrome starts showing blank pages after sleeping until I "end process" the GPU Process on the Chrome Task Manager.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

Anyone on Catalyst 14.x having issues with Chrome's GPU process doing dumb poo poo when coming back from sleep? My chrome starts showing blank pages after sleeping until I "end process" the GPU Process on the Chrome Task Manager.

I actually have had this problem recently with chrome. As in 2 or 3 weeks tops. Sometimes it decides to show blank pages for new tabs, and if a page was loaded before if I press back or click on a link it will just show up blank.

It's happened a few times but not just after waking up. It has happened to me while I was actually using it too. Never seen it before, don't know what's changed. I have nvidia drivers

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I quit using chrome cause it was always breaking and went back to firefox. :iiam:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

I actually have had this problem recently with chrome. As in 2 or 3 weeks tops. Sometimes it decides to show blank pages for new tabs, and if a page was loaded before if I press back or click on a link it will just show up blank.

It's happened a few times but not just after waking up. It has happened to me while I was actually using it too. Never seen it before, don't know what's changed. I have nvidia drivers

Try ending the GPU process on the chrome task manager, it immediatelly fixes it for me.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I'll try it, thanks. All I've done is end the chrome process so far. I haven't had an issue with desktop chrome basically since it came out, phone and other forms are a different story though. But this definitely qualifies. I'd be seriously pissed off if that happened right after I hit "place order" or something

Smooth Willis
Jul 12, 2013
Whats the opinion on buying cards that were used for mining? I'm looking at a used Sapphire 290 for $200 and that seems like a really good deal but I'm not sure how much the mining would shorten the lifespan of these cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Smooth Willis posted:

Whats the opinion on buying cards that were used for mining? I'm looking at a used Sapphire 290 for $200 and that seems like a really good deal but I'm not sure how much the mining would shorten the lifespan of these cards.

As long as the manufacturer has a serial based warranty I'd buy one.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
$200 is more like it. Early on people were starting to offload them for $400 and $450 and that was just nuts to buy imo, but $200? Time to seriously consider it at least.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Smooth Willis posted:

Just buy one with a 3 year warranty. Figure at most they could have burned 7-8 months or so of it (since some base warranty of manufacture, not sale date). MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, and others all allow RMA's without having to dig out an invoice. Just check the warranty details on the particular card brand you're looking at and go for it. poo poo, at $200 you could buy of them for the price of a single new 290 just in case one dies (and CrossFire in the meantime).

Also, let's be honest: most people are gonna replace their cards every 1-2 years, which means even with a mining card you're pretty likely to replace it before longevity really comes into play. It's like people overclocking their CPUs and wondering if the "lowered life" of 7 years instead of 10 will really matter.

e; Not sure where you're looking or seeing 290's for $200, but at least on Amazon all the <$300 ones are the reference cooler (blower) design. Which is terrible. Like, sounds-like-a-jet-engine yet still throttles due to 95C temps terrible. Don't get one (or if you do, know that you're going to need to either accept sub-par performance or replace the cooler), especially with decent 3rd party ones going for not too much more.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 14, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Man I'm starting to regret mailing back one of my 770's for a return nearly out of spite today. I'm so spoiled by Amazon prime I expect everyone to be that way. But tiger direct didn't even ship the drat thing yet and it's just ground

Smooth Willis
Jul 12, 2013

DrDork posted:

Just buy one with a 3 year warranty. Figure at most they could have burned 7-8 months or so of it (since some base warranty of manufacture, not sale date). MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, and others all allow RMA's without having to dig out an invoice. Just check the warranty details on the particular card brand you're looking at and go for it. poo poo, at $200 you could buy of them for the price of a single new 290 just in case one dies (and CrossFire in the meantime).

Also, let's be honest: most people are gonna replace their cards every 1-2 years, which means even with a mining card you're pretty likely to replace it before longevity really comes into play. It's like people overclocking their CPUs and wondering if the "lowered life" of 7 years instead of 10 will really matter.

e; Not sure where you're looking or seeing 290's for $200, but at least on Amazon all the <$300 ones are the reference cooler (blower) design. Which is terrible. Like, sounds-like-a-jet-engine yet still throttles due to 95C temps terrible. Don't get one (or if you do, know that you're going to need to either accept sub-par performance or replace the cooler), especially with decent 3rd party ones going for not too much more.

The one I mentioned is here, although he has already sold all of them. Would a non-reference cooler like MSI's Twinfrozr fit on the reference card for example? Never knew the coolers on those reference models were so bad.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I didn't notice this posted yet (though maybe i'm wrong) but in mixed gpu/display news VESA has adopted adaptive-sync into the 1.2a standard.

AMD estimates 6-12 months before it appears on the market. We'll see.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER
Anyone have a Sapphire 280X Toxic? I bought one a few weeks ago from eBay. The card was orignially purchased new in December and the original owner claims to have used it very lightly. It has started artifacting in-game and even when using non-demanding applications like Chrome. I have a Corsair HX750 PSU and a Sabertooth P67 mobo, and I did a driver sweep and reinstalled Catalyst 14.4 drivers first thing. I've been doing some light reading and it seems to be a common issue with the card. I have tested it with OCCT and the only way I get no errors is if I downclock the clock from 1150 MHz to 1100 and the memory from 1600 MHz to 1500, but I really don't think I should have to gimp the thing for it to function properly. I want what I payed for.

I've already started the RMA process with Althon Micro but I just wanted to get some opinions before I spend $20 on processing fees (since I have no receipt) and return shipping. Is it worth sending back, or am I going to get another bum card in return? Should I just suck it up and downclock it?

Edit- Yeah, it's likely been mined with, but seems that a lot of people blame the memory modules on this particular card. Updated the card's BIOS, too. No luck. Sapphire may have pushed it a bit past realistic limits.

43% Burnt fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 14, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Buttminer card. There isn't much choice, hopefully they give you a new one. Assuming you reinstalled drivers and stuff like that

Also reminder to (myself) everyone with moon connectors on their mobo. I forgot, yet again, to plug in my sata-> pcie lane power cable and it cleared up little micro stutters I'd see sometimes I attributed to something else. Even with just one card at the moment the difference was immediately noticeable. :smith:

Yeah though, this is more for me :ughh: since I dont think I've heard of a single person here yet with that connector

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ignoarints posted:

$200 is more like it. Early on people were starting to offload them for $400 and $450 and that was just nuts to buy imo, but $200? Time to seriously consider it at least.

Seriously consider? If there was a 290 being sold in warranty for $200, that's extremely cheap.

43% Burnt posted:

Sapphire may have pushed it a bit past realistic limits.

To be honest, I think this is fairly likely. 1150MHz on a 280X core from factory would require some serious binning. Sapphire hasn't had the best reputation as of late, so it wouldn't surprise me if they shipped out cards that would never quite work at those speeds.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 14, 2014

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

I got one for $260 off ebay with free shipping. It's been fine, works great.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Also remember that a card that artifacts is worthless for butt miners, I seriously doubt it was harmed. It is way more likely that the guy didn't get it to work but bought it off Newegg and didn't want to get hosed in the rear end because he used a bundle code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Seriously consider? If there was a 290 being sold in warranty for $200, that's extremely cheap.

Yes, just seriously consider from me. After reading one long thread about how they treated their cards on some mining forum it'd take some cheap price like that.

Do AMD cards generally lose their warranty if they are opened? I've noticed it both ways for nvidia so far. Even between different brands in the same chipset. That might be something to consider as well.