Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Show me on the doll where Hero Quest touched you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
There's a box filled with two-sets'-worth of advanced heroquest bits in our front room. Looked up the rules when we were gifted it and... nope, not even for masochistic laughs.

My only memory of normal heroquest was that a friend owned a set, but we never played it. Given how bored we'd get at times, I can only assume we'd tried and given up in horror at some point.

Sidulus
May 6, 2014

Eyeball Kid
Welp! I'm going to start out with two notable gaming experiences.

First story comes from one of the first campaigns I ever really played in. One of our party members was a male half-orc. When our party came across a mysterious treasure chest, the half-orc was the first one to open it. Unfortunately, the chest was a cursed chest that would turn whoever opened it into the opposite sex. Thus the player's half-orc man became a half-orc woman. He tried to use this to his advantage during battle. The resulted in the following (paraphrased from memory)-
-DM- "All right, you are surrounded by enemies. What do you do?"
-Player- "I take off my top and try to distract them with my boobs."
-DM- "Are you serious?"
-Player- "Yes! I want to try and distract them with my boobs."
-DM- "Okay.The enemies don't care about your boobs and now you have to fight the battle topless. Good job."

In the most current campaign I'm involved in, our party has a fighter lawful-dwarf who is a master mechanic and an elf who is a sneak thief and mafia member. Due to a recent string of robberies, the dwarf character was hired by an aristocrat to create elaborate traps that would protect his valuables. One of these traps was a huge, spring-loaded iron fist.
A few days later, the elf was tasked with robbing said aristocrat's house. As can be presumed, one of the traps he set off was the huge iron fist. It not only broke his jaw, but knocked out all of this teeth.

He then hid while his jaw healed...

... because his face looked like the following...

After his jaw healed he got all of his teeth replaced with metal ones.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
That reminds me of a story that happened shortly before I played d&d for the first time back in second edition, think I was 15. Anyways our gm was never very good, but no one else played so I had no real experience beyond that. He had a penchant for putting us against opponents we coudn't beat, and at best hope to run away from. So the party gets teleported into a netherworld dimension, and they successfully fight off some minor demon monsters, no problem. Until they're faced with a greater demon, and it's obvious they have no hope, no way of getting away, and no way of teleporting back home since they were still trying to figure that part out. Normally they can figure a way out of any situation, even if it's using the gms' mentality/weird ideas against him. I'll call him Frank, he was our best guy at figuring this sort of thing out, so far there hadn't been anything he hadn't been able to get us out of. But no way of getting home, or any way at 4th level or something to fight off a demon of this sort, he couldn't think of anything either. So he sighed, threw up his arms in frustration at an unwinable situation, and as the demon challenged them, with the gm asking "what is your response?" Frank says, "I don't know, gently caress it, I drop my pants and start masturbating." "You...you what?" "You heard me, if I'm going to die, I'm going to rub one last one out right now, screw it. I'm undoing my pants and using my willpower to get a stiffy going. (rolls and passes), see, there, I'm hard and ready."

While this was more of a gently caress-it-I-give-up sort of thing, we didn't realise at the time that our gm was fairly homophobic. This became more obvious in later years.

But it explains why the greater demon ran away, and the party was able to make their way back home.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Session 2: Lying to Border Patrol, Corruption Makes the Galaxy Spin, "Guys, we are so poor"

From where we had left off after the first session of Edge of the Empire, the party had just set out for The Wheel, the station where their employer, Reom, had a job waiting for them. In the process of leaving Tatooine, they had managed to piss off one of the most notorious criminals in the galaxy: Jabba the Hutt.

As we traveled to The Wheel, we made a jump that put us on a course for another ship. The Firespray, with Neuratakk, Chris the Chiss, and Doc on board, managed to easily dodge away from it. However, the Centurion, piloted by Sydney Twilight and with Kyp Marr, the Other Chiss, Krussk and the Droid as crew, was not so nimble. But instead of crashing right into the unknown ship, they were caught in a tractor beam and hailed by what turned out to be a border patrol agent.

At this point, it kind of became apparent that Sydney's player was not very experienced when it came to roleplaying, or wasn't used to playing the sly, cunning kind of character that the Smuggler is. Since we were flying with a fake set of codes, the officer asked if he was, in fact, the assumed identity he had for the fakes. To which Sydney responded, "Uh, yeah sure, I guess?" Out of character, Sydney's player asked if he could use Deception on the border patrol without ever explaining what he was trying to deceive about.

As it turned out, the patrol officer had orders to inspect any ships like ours travelling away from Tatooine together, making us already look suspicious. Knowing that there was very little chance of avoiding an inspection, the Droid analysed the data chip to see how it could be detected. He had already copied the data from the chip, but destroying it was out of the question: the crystalline material of the chip would leave a cloud that could be found if you scanned specifically for its composition, which they undoubtedly would be doing. So, after sealing it into a canister, the Droid flushed it outside of the ship.

Where it was promptly detected by the border patrol and picked up.

Now they knew we were the ones they were looking for and still had the thing that was stolen, so they demanded we allow them to come on board. Sydney, still thinking he could talk his way out of this, tried to outright lie about the canister, which did nothing to help our situation.

When we eventually opened the airlock for the patrol, it turned out to be a lone human in charge of a dozen or so security droids. After rounding up the crew, and Sydney managing to make a fool of himself by trying to bribe the officer with something like 50 credits, the officer offered us the only deal we could take. We had already tried to lie and hide the fact we had the stolen chip, and he couldn't ignore the fact. He was actually going to offer to buy it off of us until we had pulled the stunt with the canister. So now, he told us he would let us go if we just handed it over. Which meant we didn't get to sell the original data and he would get a juicy finder's fee. Seeing that we had no alternatives, we handed it over and were allowed to finally reach the Wheel. Spirits at this point were a bit dampened, but we still had a copy of the data, so not all was lost.

After docking with the station, we had a little time to relax before our meeting with Reom, and Kyp, since he had spent some time on the station before, decided to take us to his favorite restaurant, Sloppy Seconds. Or rather, he took us to what used to be Sloppy Seconds, as it had been bought out and replaced with a chain restaurant and bar: the Blasted Asteroid. While he talked with the owner about that, Chris the Chiss managed to find an info broker there, and with a triumphant success on his Charm roll, was offered a huge discount on any info about the station. From that we learned that Reom had some nasty competition in the form of the Yiyar clan, a gang of Rodians who have been at odds with Reom for years. Their rivalry has not been violent, but the Yiyar are not above dirty tricks and using muscle.

Once we had finished up at the Blasted Asteroid, we went to see Reom himself, which was notable for the fact that Reom very rarely met people in person, since the headquarters for his front company is on the same station as his business rivals. In his office, we see that Reom has a large canister on his desk, and he seems very excited about it. Before discussing the next job, we offer the data from the chip we had "found"," without mentioning who had stolen it in the first place. He is awestruck by the information from the chip, and offers us 10k credits for it, which we desperately needed for equipment and ship upgrades (Turns out, all of us had barely any leftover credits after character creation).

He tells us that its a hyperspace message pod from a Separatist treasury ship that crashed somewhere in the Outer Rim while fleeing Imperial pursuit at the end of the Clone Wars. The ship, called the Sa Nalaor, has faded into legends, with tales of vast treasures and technologies within it. Reom has a great deal of interest in the Sa Nalaor, not just because of this pod, but because his father had found a 3PO droid that came from the ship. Reom's sister, Shira, is due in a few hours with the droid, but he knows where the ship is based on where the pod was found. And he wants us to take the droid and find the treasures of the Sa Nalaor.

While we were leaving his office, none of us were successful at Perception to overhear him call up his sister to tell her about the data from the chip, to which she laughed, "You paid them how much?!"

Next time, on Edge of the Empire: Meeting Tybalt the Rodian, "It's not polite to murder slavers in the open," What Sydney Witnessed and Why It Was Important

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For people who game in online groups, what program (if any) do you use for simulating miniatures?

I'm planning on running a Game of Thrones RPG for my friends and want to be able to use the miniature combat if needed.

I've used Vassal before for Warmachine, does that work well with a separate module?

There wasn't really a thread to ask this so I figured a large mega thread like this was the place to ask.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I use roll20 for the maps and movement. I throw the tokens together in Photoshop but that's by no means required.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you're really bad at art stuff like me, you can make tokens using TokenTool, which you get from the same place as MapTool. It's worth using Roll20 over MapTool, but TokenTool is just drag and drop and adjust to get a token, which is really nice when you're making 40 monsters for your session in an hour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Alright, important bit of street wisdom: when you're talking to someone who calls the surrounding area 'my hood', you should avoid using phrases like 'gently caress your hood'."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 11, 2014

Sidulus
May 6, 2014

Eyeball Kid

VolatileSky posted:

That reminds me of a story that happened shortly before I played d&d for the first time back in second edition, think I was 15. Anyways our gm was never very good, but no one else played so I had no real experience beyond that. He had a penchant for putting us against opponents we coudn't beat, and at best hope to run away from. So the party gets teleported into a netherworld dimension, and they successfully fight off some minor demon monsters, no problem. Until they're faced with a greater demon, and it's obvious they have no hope, no way of getting away, and no way of teleporting back home since they were still trying to figure that part out. Normally they can figure a way out of any situation, even if it's using the gms' mentality/weird ideas against him. I'll call him Frank, he was our best guy at figuring this sort of thing out, so far there hadn't been anything he hadn't been able to get us out of. But no way of getting home, or any way at 4th level or something to fight off a demon of this sort, he couldn't think of anything either. So he sighed, threw up his arms in frustration at an unwinable situation, and as the demon challenged them, with the gm asking "what is your response?" Frank says, "I don't know, gently caress it, I drop my pants and start masturbating." "You...you what?" "You heard me, if I'm going to die, I'm going to rub one last one out right now, screw it. I'm undoing my pants and using my willpower to get a stiffy going. (rolls and passes), see, there, I'm hard and ready."

While this was more of a gently caress-it-I-give-up sort of thing, we didn't realise at the time that our gm was fairly homophobic. This became more obvious in later years.

But it explains why the greater demon ran away, and the party was able to make their way back home.

I must say, that has to be the world's most pathetic greater demon if it is scared off by an erect dick.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Well it wouldn't be, but our old gm in highschool did a lot of talking through his in party character to guide us around and often enemies of any sort would basically be him talking to us as well. So sorta makes sense anything vaguely homosexual would make him run!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sidulus posted:

I must say, that has to be the world's most pathetic greater demon if it is scared off by an erect dick.
I dunno, it seems like the sort of thing you'd wanna keep around just as a general houserule quirk for greater demons :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"Okay, the Demonology book says if you encounter Astrog, servant of Beelzebub just flash your dick at him it'll scare him off."

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
This actually seems like it could be a world-building running joke. I mean, the stereotypical wizard is a gross old dude, and I'd imagine that word would spread pretty fast among demonkind that "hey, if you get summoned to Prime Material World #5283, be prepared for a face-full of wrinkled schlong." Things'd go pretty quickly from "aww gross WTF are you doing" to "man, gently caress that plane, just pretend the dick thing actually works so you can leave there ASAP."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

reignonyourparade posted:

"Okay, the Demonology book says if you encounter Astrog, servant of Beelzebub just flash your dick at him it'll scare him off."

The Book of Vile Dongness

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

AmiYumi posted:

This actually seems like it could be a world-building running joke. I mean, the stereotypical wizard is a gross old dude, and I'd imagine that word would spread pretty fast among demonkind that "hey, if you get summoned to Prime Material World #5283, be prepared for a face-full of wrinkled schlong." Things'd go pretty quickly from "aww gross WTF are you doing" to "man, gently caress that plane, just pretend the dick thing actually works so you can leave there ASAP."

Time to post a perennial favorite and important object lesson then:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sidulus posted:

What if you're performing what looks like the summoning rites of a potent dongomancer? Dongomancy is no joke when in the netherworld.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I cast circle of protection from dongs. :smug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that in the Feminism domain?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Personal Space Domain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

goatface posted:

Is that in the Feminism domain?
It is, but Mormons can also get special underwear enchanted with it.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Actually, I think you'll find you're referring to the 5th-level Catholic ability 'turn dong' (or 'control dong' in the case of evil-aligned priests).
:goonsay:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My paladin can Detect Dong and also lay on hands

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My Size Queen has perma-hastened 'Summon Greater Dong' as a class feature.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My wizard is trying to make Enlarge Dong into a business but no one's even interested in the sales pitch.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Running an oWoD Hunter game at my uni's gaming society, it's my first time running a game in person, and from last week's and today's sessions it feels like I'm finally getting the hang of it and it's left me feeling great.

Last session the two FBI agents in the party managed to calm down the Vampiric leader of an occupy movement in Boston, at least before the Professional Assassin was approached with an offer of "Kill their leader and I'll wire you $20,000", which he accepted in a heartbeat, and Dusted the vampire with some ridiculous exploding sniper rounds or something, whatever Arsenal 5 can justify.

Start of this session, the rest of the players see this guy get dusted, and the Subtle Sabbat Invasion who made the offer set off explosions at the major power relays in the city knocking out the power, and more importantly, all the lights. The police hastily setup barricades and spotlights, trying to defend against the now-enraged militant members of the protest. One officer gets pulled over the barricade and wishboned by a pair of Brujah brothers, who sadly are dusted in the ensuing fight after they both frenzy from a flare gun.
The fight is interrupted by another explosion, this time the unscheduled demolition of the Bank of America regional HQ, and the remaining protesters leg it. Closing up the session, one of the malkavian Knights shows up, and demands "What knaves defiled my liege's treasury so?", and is pointed by the players in the direction of the protesters, thus setting up the exact conflict I wanted between the ruling Malkavian/Toreador and the Brujah/Gangrel underclass in the city, and also letting me have fun with with Ye Olde Englishe.

Meanwhile the Computer Kid and the Soldier avoid a knife-fight with another crew of Hunters, followed by a shootout after a Computer Creature infects the systems of the base they are in, and the Software Developer continues his trend of shooting anyone vaguely evasive in the leg.

Tl;dr everything goes to poo poo just as planned, thanks to my players furthering my schemes of their own accord, and I get to introduce Malkavians who believe they are Arthurian Knights
The best part of this is getting to see my players reactions, sliding from "oh poo poo!" to "hell yes!", or sometimes both

Ambi fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 14, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Uh, excuse me but I don't see how Bank of America getting destroyed and Urban Fantasy OWS bailing has anything to do with dongs :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
One of the most fun parts of playing for me is, even though I OOC see the danger coming a mile off, skipping merrily into the jaws of hell IC.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

VanSandman posted:

One of the most fun parts of playing for me is, even though I OOC see the danger coming a mile off, skipping merrily into the jaws of hell IC.

Yeah, that's what makes or breaks a roleplayer, the ability to separate in character and out of character knowledge. You may well know that that weird symbol means your about to unleash an ancient evil on the world, but your character is just about to find that out.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
In the Vampire game I'm in at the moment, we all OOC know that the "specialists" being sent to the local hospital by a pharmaceutical conglomerate can only be a Cheiron Group kill team of biologically modified walking weapons. In character, we're like "pfff, pharmaceutical execs? What are they gonna do talk us to death ahahahaha"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doodmons posted:

In the Vampire game I'm in at the moment, we all OOC know that the "specialists" being sent to the local hospital by a pharmaceutical conglomerate can only be a Cheiron Group kill team of biologically modified walking weapons. In character, we're like "pfff, pharmaceutical execs? What are they gonna do talk us to death ahahahaha"

This will end in sweet IC tears, definitely post about your next session.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I love how (in my experience) people tend to over-compensate and utterly trust group/info that is known OC to be dodgy. A couple of dungeon world sessions ago, we failed a Spout Law (that is, knowledge) check about an incursion of the fey lands into the world - the GM told us (I think - we have a habit of 'everyone says interesting-but-wrong ideas, and then we pick the funnest') that if we captured the flag at the centre of the village, it'd loosen their hold on the land. Of course we knew OC that it was just a flag, but IC we were more focused on that flag than we ever manage to be on our real objectives.

We ended up with the Clock Mage getting his hand frozen to it, failing to negotiate, and the Brute starting a riot and nearly getting torn apart by an angry mob. Luckily, plan C worked. C for 'flying castle with harpoon guns'. I love dungeon world.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

petrol blue posted:

I love how (in my experience) people tend to over-compensate and utterly trust group/info that is known OC to be dodgy. A couple of dungeon world sessions ago, we failed a Spout Law (that is, knowledge) check about an incursion of the fey lands into the world - the GM told us (I think - we have a habit of 'everyone says interesting-but-wrong ideas, and then we pick the funnest') that if we captured the flag at the centre of the village, it'd loosen their hold on the land. Of course we knew OC that it was just a flag, but IC we were more focused on that flag than we ever manage to be on our real objectives.

We ended up with the Clock Mage getting his hand frozen to it, failing to negotiate, and the Brute starting a riot and nearly getting torn apart by an angry mob. Luckily, plan C worked. C for 'flying castle with harpoon guns'. I love dungeon world.

I feel the castle should have been plan A in this case. And all other cases.

Flying castles should always be top of the list.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
You're probably right, but we were in one of our 'flirting with subtlety' phases.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Something I'm loving about the Unknown Armies campaign I run is having an Entropomancer in the party. He gets magic in return for taking risks. The more dangerous they are the more mojo he gets. It's great having someone mechanically incentivised to dive headlong into trouble.

(Even if he did get the party exploded that one time, and stop them ever being able to go back to Canada...)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

In my current Pathfinder game, we found a brace of flintlock pistols. Nobody knows what the gently caress they are, so we just assumed they were exotic smoking pipes.

We are walking around with the barrels of guns in our mouths, smoking tobacco from them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That is unironically the best possible use for guns in a Pathfinder game. Well done. :golfclap:

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Exculpatrix posted:

(Even if he did get the party exploded that one time, and stop them ever being able to go back to Canada...)

When you say 'Stop them ever being able to go back to Canada', is it in the 'The police are totally looking for us' sense or the 'Nature, Magic, and Physics are conspiring to metaphysically bar you from the borders of Canada forever'.

I could see it going either way, really.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They pissed off the Godwalker of the Lumberjack, who can detect them whenever they get within fifty paces of maple syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

darth cookie posted:

That is unironically the best possible use for guns in a Pathfinder game. Well done. :golfclap:

Yeah, in character creation when the DM was laying out the classes and mentioned that there was a class built around guns, almost all of the players were really down on the idea of having them in the game at all. I don't think he remembered that when my character found them (almost killing himself in the process with the gunpowder, which is also a mystery to our characters).