Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JordanKai posted:

Isn't he also the creator of The Annoying Orange?

Not the creator, just the human star of the Cartoon Network show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Bluebomberimo posted:

This is what blows me away the most, you get to the point where you don't even HAVE to try or care in the slightest, everything gets handed to you. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even actually playing the games and just records his face and has people throw it together. What's even the point anymore?

I miss when everyone put love and care into their let's plays and didn't do it because of revenue and hope of being famous. This is why I like Chuggaaconroy, even though I don't watch a lot of him anymore. He actually talks about the game and everything and is actually good at the games he plays instead of just screaming at a video game for "humour". The fact that he now makes money off of it hasn't caused him to go all "GOTTA PLAY HAPPY WHEELS AND MAKE MONEY". Same with One F Jef (channel name Jefmajor). He also sticks to what's now called "classic" let's playing as well as playing a lot of sandbox games

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samiz posted:

I miss when everyone put love and care into their let's plays and didn't do it because of revenue and hope of being famous. This is why I like Chuggaaconroy, even though I don't watch a lot of him anymore. He actually talks about the game and everything and is actually good at the games he plays instead of just screaming at a video game for "humour". The fact that he now makes money off of it hasn't caused him to go all "GOTTA PLAY HAPPY WHEELS AND MAKE MONEY". Same with One F Jef (channel name Jefmajor). He also sticks to what's now called "classic" let's playing as well as playing a lot of sandbox games

Jef is pretty good if you want that sort of LP yeah. Depends a lot on whether you find him grating personality wise but he seems to only be able to LP stuff he actually likes playing.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Golden Goat posted:

What's this about a bodyguard, how did he upset DSP considering DSP freaks out at everybody?

w/r/t the bodyguard, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with weird internet stalkers at some convention

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

GNU Order posted:

w/r/t the bodyguard, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with weird internet stalkers at some convention

I think this, yeah. I think he actually has a couple people, like a press manager and such, but don't quote me on that. Bodyguard for conventions, I know he has.

Samiz posted:

I miss when everyone put love and care into their let's plays and didn't do it because of revenue and hope of being famous. This is why I like Chuggaaconroy, even though I don't watch a lot of him anymore.

Yeah, Chugga's a good guy. In real life too; unfortunately his Nintendo bent means he gets crossover from Nintendo superfans who can be kinda weird, but all in all, I'm pro-Chugga. The Runaway Guys said they'd be down to do Retsutalk proper. Gotta set that up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GNU Order posted:

Like weird "they hate his videos so much they would actually assault him" stalkers or goupie level stalkers? I honestly don't know how people get all weird over famous people let alone internet famous ones.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

Like weird "they hate his videos so much they would actually assault him" stalkers or goupie level stalkers? I honestly don't know how people get all weird over famous people let alone internet famous ones.

Groupie level.

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp
I was looking up about the Tobuscus bodyguard thing and I happened upon some "quality" fanfiction about him https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8419268/1/Bodyguard

some dumb gently caress posted:

Tobuscus gets a death threat in one of his videos. Steven hires him a bodyguard named Ace Grey, who Toby finds HOTHOTHOTHOTHOT.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
... and that is why he needs a bodyguard at conventions.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm sure every fairly big youtube channel has one crazy fan who writes weird fanfiction about them. I'd be willing to bet there are hundreds of PDP/Barrel fanfics even. The key is to just ignore it completely, and not even bring it up if you're that channel, because if I remember right the people from That Guy With the Glasses focused on it and it just made things so much worse for them.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
is this the point where we start dredging up retsupurae fanfiction?

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp

Attestant posted:

I found this https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8154383/1/Retsupurae-s-journey-to-find-themselves but I think he had a stroke or made it bad on purpose.

quote:

slowbeef was watching a slowbeef was watching a video on youtube. "oh my god this guy is such a loving loser" he said to him. and to his friend near diabeetus.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

slowbeef was watching a slowbeef?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I regret asking about Tobuscus and now we're exchanging fanfiction.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Come on guys, I already linked the only Toby fanfic that matters.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Toby X PDP posted:

Their eye lids heavy from sweating Toby’s videos all night.

Jesus, what were they doing :stonk:

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

slowbeef posted:

Groupie level.

Yo man, how do I get in with this poo poo?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mr DJB posted:

Yo man, how do I get in with this poo poo?

All you have to do is find him at your nearest convention, drug his bodyguard, tackle him and profess your love to him. I assume this is general stuff internet famous people have to deal with day to day.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Golden Goat posted:

All you have to do is find him at your nearest convention, drug his bodyguard, tackle him and profess your love to him. I assume this is general stuff internet famous people have to deal with day to day.

I meant getting groupies, but this works too.

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp

Mr DJB posted:

You could get surgery to transplant his face onto you after like in face/off and then you'd get his groupies with no work

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Attestant posted:

the_last_retsupurae.txt

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Mr DJB posted:

Find a game that is meant to be scary but really isn't (see: any horror game released these days), use a facecam, and scream whenever you take a step. Using an accent helps, as does mentioning bodily functions and smiling with an undeserved sense of accomplishment.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mr DJB posted:

Oh well then all you have to do is find him at your nearest convention, drug his bodyguard, tackle him, profess your love to him and then take his place.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Oh well then all you have to do is find him at your nearest convention, drug his bodyguard, tackle him, profess your love to him and then take his place.

You need to be sure to use a Longsword and behead him. Only then will you absorb his likes and subscribers.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Nihilarian posted:

They'll often do a 15 or even 20 minute video if they feel they haven't done enough, or if they're at the finale and want to present it as one episode.

This is one thing that has been annoying me about arumba's videos, even in his strong suit (paradox strategy games) but is even worse in the things outside his wheelhouse.

In several recent "The Last Federation" videos, he did one two-minute bit of combat, then spent the remaining eighteen slowly reading event text for his viewers.

And, of course, in his Paradox videos, the game is paused for the whole 20 minutes while he clicks on every country on the map and declares war.

Dude knows his poo poo, but he has no idea how to segue.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

OwlFancier recommending Kikoskia posted:

I'd probably compare him to Your Evil Twin on SA, possibly in part because they're both competing in the incredibly English world championship.

Hahaha! You've made me check out his stuff, and I can see what you mean. :britain:

I guess you could say that I'm like Kikoskia... without his annoying habit of replying to dialogue. And he does an update every day, while I update... occasionally.

He had better not be giggling while vaporizing/electrocuting/incinerating people. I've got that poo poo trademarked. :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mr DJB posted:

Do more Mr. DJ Beatz videos. You'll have more groupies than you know what to do with.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Patter Song posted:

Do more Mr. DJ Beatz videos. You'll have more groupies than you know what to do with.

On that note, I'm sure there's hundreds of hilariously awful video game-related songs out there.

I STILL can't get over this one.

That thumbnail is pretty hilarious for the Game Grumps video, though. I don't mind if they're awful at the game, it's just they're not even trying, and instead screaming and belching nonstop.

You could put any video game in place of Dark Souls 2, and it would have the same result.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

your evil twin posted:

Hahaha! You've made me check out his stuff, and I can see what you mean. :britain:

I guess you could say that I'm like Kikoskia... without his annoying habit of replying to dialogue. And he does an update every day, while I update... occasionally.

He had better not be giggling while vaporizing/electrocuting/incinerating people. I've got that poo poo trademarked. :colbert:

You both have similar enthusiastic commentary which I like.

But I think we can safely say there is probably nobody in the world capable of matching your level of glee where energetic murder is concerned.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
Speaking of Brits, what are your opinions on the Yogscast and their videos?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samiz posted:

Speaking of Brits, what are your opinions on the Yogscast and their videos?

For me they do some good stuff, Sjin does some really excellent minecraft builds, the yogscast civ games are quite fun to watch, as are some of their minecraft series if you like a bunch of friendly folks bullshiting while playing games.

All the different members do things a bit differently so if you have a look through them you'll probably find something you like.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

For me they do some good stuff, Sjin does some really excellent minecraft builds, the yogscast civ games are quite fun to watch, as are some of their minecraft series if you like a bunch of friendly folks bullshiting while playing games.

I love the Civ games! The fact that they always flip in some way is hilarious! I also like that, even though they make rather simple content, they don't over-simplify it and they cut stuff out; although they do have specific editors but they do a great job!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

OwlFancier posted:

All the different members do things a bit differently so if you have a look through them you'll probably find something you like.

Just talking about Simon and Lewis, they're a bit dumb but it's a thing I can just turn off my brain and watch. Plus they do tons of charity stuff which is always good.

Branching out, I really like Duncan. I like Sjin, too, but he needs someone else to play off of. I can't stand Sips for some reason.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

djw175 posted:

Just talking about Simon and Lewis, they're a bit dumb but it's a thing I can just turn off my brain and watch. Plus they do tons of charity stuff which is always good.

Branching out, I really like Duncan. I like Sjin, too, but he needs someone else to play off of. I can't stand Sips for some reason.

Lewis is very intelligent and I think it's kind of annoying that he plays dumb sometimes but I can stand it. Simon, on the other hand, is just that way.

I find Sips really funny but I think his later videos have been poor compared to his older stuff, which is a bit sad since he was doing really well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

djw175 posted:

Sips grates on me too. His commentary seems to consist mostly of 80's pop culture references and ricky gervais-esque awkward sex jokes.

A lot of yogscast stuff isn't really let's play, it's more 'videogame centric entertainment show' or something, it's like a let's play but definitely quite different.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of yogscast stuff isn't really let's play, it's more 'videogame centric entertainment show' or something, it's like a let's play but definitely quite different.

They don't, however, call it a let's play; which I find to be a big part of it since they don't claim to let's play and instead just do poo poo videos for revenue

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The yogscast minecraft mod spotlights were pretty drat good but I stopped playing the game and I haven't watched them in forever.

The only youtube LPers I watch consistently are raocow and some of Bisnap's videos.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rebirth needs to come out so Bisnap can produce enthusiastic Isaac video's again. :argh:

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

watho posted:

The only youtube LPers I watch consistently are raocow and some of Bisnap's videos.

Does Raocow still make only rom hack videos? Or has he started doing let's plays of other games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Samiz posted:

Does Raocow still make only rom hack videos? Or has he started doing let's plays of other games?

He doesn't play as many SMW romhacks anymore but he still does quite a bit of them in general. He does pretty much anything that isn't commercial though.

watho fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread