Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
I find instancing an issue in WF. Units spawn based on tile set and scale up in level according to the planet's listed level range. At least half of the units can be swept aside as mere visual variations of a proto-unit.

In a perfect world, as a player unlocks new mission nodes, he meets more advanced and powerful units. There are no unit levels, as HP, damage and abilities are balanced with the area they are in. Currently, it is the same units all the time, scaled up or down in level. Because of this, every unit is dumbed down to cannon fodder levels so new players can manage them.

Another issue is the level layout. It does not allow for strategically placed units that can pose a challenge owing to this (shooters in towers, strong points, ambush points etc). The player does not need to figure out how to avoid, bypass, defeat strong defenses. Every map is a long corridor the player has to brute force his way through, while every unit he encounters is either in the open or running towards a makeshift cover.

Warframe's mid to end content is boring and poses almost no challenge. Or, it is artificially ramped up via unit damage and HP values. It has virtually no skill requirements (no timing, no planning, no weaknesses to care about), just optimal setups for optimal orbital nukes. :smith:

I love cats fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

I love cats posted:

Warframe's mid to end content is boring and poses almost no challenge. Or, it is artificially ramped up via unit damage and HP values. It has virtually no skill requirements (no timing, no planning, no weaknesses to care about), just optimal setups for optimal orbital nukes. :smith:

It's very Diablo 2 or Marvel Heroes ARPG once you get going. Level up, farm for BIS, get new stuff to level up. Repeat. It's a formula that works. I'm honestly hard pressed to think of an endless game that doesn't follow that model to some degree unless it's PvP based.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
They could follow the Diablo 3 model and add more prefixes to the leader or miniboss types that give them a power per prefix.

New mob-wise, a juggernaut-type infested would be neat. Give each one a random weak point (out of like 3 or 4 possible spots), give them a charge-stun, and let them consume nearby infested to heal themselves. That would be annoying as poo poo.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just give every enemy a stagger or knockdown attack, I sure love being a space ninja on my rear end all the loving time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Enemies that instantly drain all your energy and can instantly knock you over for 5 seconds are cool and good design all around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If it's not challening to a formatatoed best gear rhino it's not worth having! - a DE forums poster

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Enemies that instantly drain all your energy and can instantly knock you over for 5 seconds are cool and good design all around.

Also enemies that one-shot you with shield-piercing DOTs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so it was advised to me when I asked yesterday that I should get the Dakra Prime in trade chat. I got the set. However it's XP locked. What on earth do I have to do or achieve to use it?

Also, if I were to buy the Boltor Prime, same question...

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Feenix posted:

Ok so it was advised to me when I asked yesterday that I should get the Dakra Prime in trade chat. I got the set. However it's XP locked. What on earth do I have to do or achieve to use it?

Also, if I were to buy the Boltor Prime, same question...

Level up weapons and frames to gain mastery. I'm not sure what rank you need to reach for either one of those weapons.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Boltor Prime needs mastery rank 2 (easy enough to get in a day or two) and the Dakra Prime needs rank 6 (lol).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Helter Skelter posted:

Boltor Prime needs mastery rank 2 (easy enough to get in a day or two) and the Dakra Prime needs rank 6 (lol).

Whoops.Guess that ain't happening, probably ever.

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

I've accumulated some crap since I started playing 2 weeks ago. Is there anything here that's worth selling, or that I should really be keeping?
And if I should sell, what should I ask for it/them? (keep in mind this is on ps4)

Dagger Axe skin BP
Flux Nova Helmet BP
Gambit Vauban Helmet BP

Gorgon BP
Othos Prime BP
Reaper Prime BP
Boar Prime BP

Braton Prime Stock
Dakra Prime Handle
Fang Prime Handle
Glaive Prime Disc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You might be able to sell the fang handle. No one is going to buy anything else, and half of that list is things that aren't tradeable anyway..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Where does one look to see Mastery indication?

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Feenix posted:

Where does one look to see Mastery indication?

Top left, next to your portrait.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Coldbird posted:

Top left, next to your portrait.

Sorry, would that be different for weapons? I haven't played in months and even then I hadn't figured everything out when I *was* playing regularly. :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sorry, would that be different for weapons? I haven't played in months and even then I hadn't figured everything out when I *was* playing regularly. :)

That's your total mastery rank that determines what items you can build and number of extractors you can deploy. Individual item rank is found in the Arsenal/Inventory screen.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Feenix posted:

Correct - mastery xp is not the xp on your weapons or frame (affinity). Mastery is a function of gaining affinity on those, but in order to get mastery up high you will need to level lots of different frames and weapons to 30.

A weapon or frame's affinity level determines how many mod points you can shove into it. Mastery currently does not a whole lot aside from function as a gating system to keep you from using the best weapons right off the bat, but the implementation is half rear end (surprise!) - some really good stuff has little or no mastery req, other stuff that is terrible requires high mastery.

edit: also, going beyond mastery rank 8 currently is pointless, though by the time you get there we might have this "Lens" system that is supposed to change that

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mBZwD1U6t8

DOGS! Also new primary and secondary weapons and a new cosmetic type - armor! So you can put armor on your Prime-plated frames.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is that a shotgun pistol that fires exploding shrapnel? God I wish I could quit you, Warframe, but you just keep dragging me back.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

I love cats posted:

I find instancing an issue in WF. Units spawn based on tile set and scale up in level according to the planet's listed level range. At least half of the units can be swept aside as mere visual variations of a proto-unit.

In a perfect world, as a player unlocks new mission nodes, he meets more advanced and powerful units. There are no unit levels, as HP, damage and abilities are balanced with the area they are in. Currently, it is the same units all the time, scaled up or down in level. Because of this, every unit is dumbed down to cannon fodder levels so new players can manage them.

Another issue is the level layout. It does not allow for strategically placed units that can pose a challenge owing to this (shooters in towers, strong points, ambush points etc). The player does not need to figure out how to avoid, bypass, defeat strong defenses. Every map is a long corridor the player has to brute force his way through, while every unit he encounters is either in the open or running towards a makeshift cover.

Well the new tilesets have been getting progressively bigger and roomier. I suspect that's one of the reasons why they're requesting new enemies, since they have the environments to support it.
I don't blame them for having tight linear maps for their first tilesets, level design is expensive and I doubt they had the dosh back when the game was starting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

chumbler posted:

Is that a shotgun pistol that fires exploding shrapnel? God I wish I could quit you, Warframe, but you just keep dragging me back.

Hope you're ready to farm argon crystals! :v:

e: But maybe they'll surprise me and it'll be in the chemical research lab and not use argon crystals as would make sense

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It reminds me of XMP Shotgun Secondary so I am pleased for now.

As for infestation? Like TheParadigm used to say, Ancients should throw Crawlers at you. Just bam! Torso to the face!

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
New rebalance developments.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/230632-warframe-ability-changes/page-27

quote:

Locking temporarily for follow up and information.

1) Ash's clones will just visual for the duration of the power, not behaving like Specters.

2) There have been the following changes to Trinity's Blessing rework:

- Blessing: On cast, Blessing restores all shields and health. Damage immunity for the duration of the skill is now based on the greatest percentage of health healed (i.e: if you have a squad with members whose health you healed 30%, 40% and 90%, all party members will receive Damage immunity at the greatest percent, 90% in this case).

- Reduced the time it takes for Trinity's Blessing animation to play.

3) Nova will not be adjusted today, but we will have more concise information that will come in a post, ideally this week. The delay has been due to development time, sorry!

Faster cast is good, but I'm pretty sure that's not enough. Trinity doesn't bring survivability or damage to the table any more and only newbies and people with gimmick builds have issues with energy management.

Outside of feeding Banshee endlessly she won't see much use.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
It's completely understandable that they feel the need to nerf Trinity - even if her invincibility didn't often translate to quite as huge a bonus as one would think (mostly because this is a really easy game) it still had to be something they were hitting themselves about whenever they thought about adding harder content.

This seems like a solution that rewards actively bad gameplay though. They seem to be trying to make her into the frame for turning a pack of idiot pubbies - and idiot pubbies only - into an invincible death squad.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
That's not what's happening though. They're turning her into a frame that only really benefits newbies, true, but they're not invincible and you'd be better served using many many other frames. Including Ash, once those changes are in, because his ult will be useful and he'll still be mostly immortal with Smoke Bomb.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Invite to PS4 clan please? Mikon_SA

Lonely playing by myself.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Not sure why Blessing can't just give temporary Iron Skin to everyone for a while. After all, Rhino is immortal

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
13.3.0 is out
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/231590-update-1330-pack-hunters/

highlights

quote:

Additions:

New Enemy Type: Feral Kubrow – After the fall of the Orokin, these former pets were left to fend for themselves. Only the most vicious survived, evolving into deadly pack hunters that now pervade Earth's dense forests. Intensely territorial, the Kubrow will attack any creature unlucky enough to cross their path.
New weapon: SYBARIS - A Tenno-crafted lever action rifle, Sybaris is equal parts elegance and executioner. Find it in the Market or Tenno Research Lab today!
New weapon: ANGSTRUM - Capable of firing multiple rockets at once, the Angstrum is a handheld instrument of destruction. Find it in the Market today for Platinum or Blueprint for Credits!
New Warframe Customization - customizable armor pieces! Explore the Daedelus set and the Eos set today!
Grineer Shipyard Expansion - Ceres has had further missions changed to include this tileset expansion!
Ceres - Hapke & Bode are now Capture type missions.
Added a Codex entry for Mag Prime.
Increased Color Customization options! You can now color your Syandana's and other Accessories separately from your Warframe if you so desire!
Added in a new "Auto Vault Over Obstacles" option to toggle on or off.

Warframe Changes:

Trinity:

- Blessing: On cast, Blessing restores all shields and health. Damage reduction for the duration of the skill is now based on the greatest percentage of health healed (ie:if you have a squad with members whose health you healed 30%, 40% and 90%, all party members will receive Damage reduction at the greatest percent, 90% in this case). This should make the use of Blessing more reactive, greatly benefiting players that pay attention and monitor party health to maximize its effectiveness.
- Reduced the time it takes for Trinity's Blessing animation to play.
-Energy Vampire: Will now pulse one last burst from the victim when it dies, releasing any remaining energy; this should make the power useful even when the enemy is killed prematurely.

Banshee:

-Silence: Is now a radial ranged effect that moves with you. As enemies enter the radius/area, they experience a ‘sonic disturbance’ which they react to. This disturbance deafens the targets and affects their awareness.

-Sound Quake: Players can now control when to deactivate Sound Quake, with the option to toggle it on or off. Sound Quake will consume energy per second while active.

Nyx:

-Absorb: Players can now toggle Absorb on or off.

Both toggling changes to Nyx and Banshee will give players more freedom instead of being locked in place while the rest of your team runs around. It should also add a nice element of resource management to both Warframes, rather than being stuck in place at the cost of X energy.

Volt:
Shield: increased size of Volt’s Shield for better team usage.

Hydroid:

Undertow: will now be toggleable.

Ash:

Shuriken now has forced bleed proc.
Bladestorm now has forced bleed proc.
Teleport now leaves enemy in finisher state.

Further clone changes to Bladestorm will follow in a future update.

quote:

General Changes:
Ash' Blade Storm will now deal multiplied damage based on the current Combo Hit multiplier
Added in a number of HUD timers for numerous Warframe abilities:
Vauban’s Bastille
Vauban’s Vortex
Banshee’s Sonar
Ember’s Fire Blast
Improved the Fusing process for Mods already installed on weapons. You will now receive a prompt informing you that the Fusion process will exceed the capacity on the specific weapons that the Mod is installed on and will ask you whether you would like to uninstall the mod and continue with the Fusion process or cancel the Fusion entirely. If there are multiple Fusion conflicts these will be displayed sequentially.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

Improved the Fusing process for Mods already installed on weapons. You will now receive a prompt informing you that the Fusion process will exceed the capacity on the specific weapons that the Mod is installed on and will ask you whether you would like to uninstall the mod and continue with the Fusion process or cancel the Fusion entirely. If there are multiple Fusion conflicts these will be displayed sequentially.

About time

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

sockpuppetclock posted:

Added in a new "Auto Vault Over Obstacles" option to toggle on or off.

gently caress YOU, AUTOVAULT! NEVER AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN! HA HA HA

So who wants to be Banshee or Trinity and never leave Sound Quake on a defense with me?

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Denzine posted:

gently caress YOU, AUTOVAULT! NEVER AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN! HA HA HA

So who wants to be Banshee or Trinity and never leave Sound Quake on a defense with me?

My banshee's currently cooking. I really, really want to put fleeting expertise and overextended on it and just turn an entire T3 defense into my dance floor.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Oh man, I really like the sound of those weapons. Waiting for first impressions from others, here's hoping that they'll be good.

The armor pieces though, haha, Christ. I actually laughed out loud- well, more a guffaw, but still- when I saw them in the video. I've wanted customizable Warframe bits for a long time now, but not if they're going to be as shoddy, tacked on, and out-of-place-looking as this.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Androc posted:

My banshee's currently cooking. I really, really want to put fleeting expertise and overextended on it and just turn an entire T3 defense into my dance floor.

Turns out power efficiency doesn't affect channeled powers.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Male Man posted:

Turns out power efficiency doesn't affect channeled powers.

Well, poo poo.

...Wait, does that mean that Blind Rage doesn't affect its cost either? Because if so holy lol.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Blessing is largely worthless as predicted. You don't get damage reduction from healing shields, just HP, and I'm not sure if the DR applies to shields. will test more thoroughly tomorrow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So Kubrows have ferrite armor and I got an Oxium from Earth so they probably have a chance to drop that as well.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
Ugh, I was looking forward to what some of the new armor pieces would look like, but they're all rear end and don't integrate onto the frame well at all. Everything just looks like a big sheet of plastic that some kid would slap onto their Halloween costume. Definitely give those things a pass.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Anybody on PS4 got an extra iron phoenix or crimson dervish they would trade? I have an extra fracturing wind, reaping spiral, and whatever the machete stance is.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
Blessing is currently a lovely ability that encourages the player to hope his team gets massacred to have a reason to use it. Depressingly, it is the ultimate of a support frame. It is hilarious, because Warframe was the only game I've played where the support char wasn't something bad no one played.

It appears DE wised up and addressed this slip up. :smuggo:

Later Edit,

It appears every toggle-able ultimate got shafted quite a bit:

Nyx Absorb appears to no longer have a damage multiplier. The energy drain ends up being much higher than the pre-patch casting cost (100). Maybe, I am stupid, but it appears that stream line or fleet expertize has no effect on energy drain rate.

Correction, neither duration, nor efficiency influence drain rate:

Applies both to Banshee's Sound quake and Nyx's Absorb. In my opinion these abilities have been nerfed rather than buffed.

Streamline + Narrow Minded (rank 9) + Continuity (maxed) + Constitution (maxed)

Total Energy: 450
Activation: 18 energy
Duration until depleted: ~63 seconds

Streamline + Fleeting Expertise (rank 4) + Stream Line (rank 4) (75% energy cost reduction)

Total Energy: 450
Activation: 7 energy
Duration until depleted: ~63 seconds

With maxed out energy efficiency (75%), Absorb used to cost 25 energy, and would last 10 seconds. Currently, with the same setup, 10 seconds of absorb costs about 80-90 energy.

Can someone else correct/confirm this? I hope I dumb and not getting this right.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 15, 2014