Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DisMafugga posted:

It's not in a comic, but I very narrowly avoided eye cancer from the X-Men: The Last Stand portrayal of Jean/Dark Phoenix.

Spoiler below if you haven't seen the movie. (Don't bother watching the movie if you have somehow avoided it to this point.)

Her death by Wolverine at the end of it was amazingly bad.

To be fair, all of the X-universe films are bad, Last Stand just happens to be the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Red posted:

To be fair, all of the X-universe films are bad, Last Stand just happens to be the worst.

X2 rules though so this is wrong.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

People say this, but for everything that might be good about that film, something else lovely balances it out.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Nah, X2 sucks pretty awful as well. It had good moments, but the awful crap outweighed it considerably.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brian Cox alone makes X2 a movie worth watching.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

Brian Cox alone makes X2 a movie worth watching.

Also Alan Cummings and the assault of the White House.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

More like it was one of those metaphoric drug-induced Grant Morrison high concepts. She is supposed to be a Mummudrai, a parasite that everyone has to face in the womb and win as not to be replaced by a fake self. In this case, Cassandra Nova survived being defeated by Xavier but not without her copying his latent mutant abilities. It is revealed that after leaving the body of Xavier's mother, she spent years growing up in a sewer wall or something like that. Then she was reformed by Xavier and Jean becoming that little old girl called Ernst. And then Joss Whedon completely ignored most of this and everyone forgot how she works other than she was a big deal.

Anyway, the Mummudrai are supposedly known by the Shiar which is why they mention the species by name during the time Nova pretended to be Xavier. They are apparently not cosmic level threats -- this specific one just tapped into someone's absurdly powerful DNA.

God I liked it better when she was psychic Jonas Venture Jr. Every post about her just gets more and more stupid sounding.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I loved New X-Men, stop ruining it for me you jerks.

loving Mummudrai bullshit. Goddamn. You know what rocked? The silent issue with Jean and Emma going through someone's mind together.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

loving Mummudrai bullshit. Goddamn. You know what rocked? The silent issue with Jean and Emma going through someone's mind together.

New X-Men is hella good but if you can't accept that it is also dumb as hell you're a fool.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A lot of Morrison's stuff sounds really ridiculous in a synopsis though. I mean it's ridiculous when he writes it too, but it works better in context.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Between this and the summary of Qwewq I am realizing there were a lot of things I just went "huh, alright" with and kept enjoying his stories without questioning. These summaries are digging up those suppressed feelings of confusion and just rolling with it.

That said, you could probably summarize Flex Mentallo or Sea Guy and I'd still think it's awesome. It just sounds crazy(ier) when it's happening to Charles Xavier or Superman.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The main thing for me about New X-Men was the fact that being a mutant now carried about a 50/50 of chance of turning you into a true genetic freak, like that guy with three faces or Beak, instead of just being a golden ticket that basically made you a super model with godlike powers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, the Morlocks had been around for ages at that point, but they were conveniently self-segregating.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think that issue is the highlight for me. It's a good run, but it just goes totally off the rails after the school revolt.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Vakal posted:

The main thing for me about New X-Men was the fact that being a mutant now carried about a 50/50 of chance of turning you into a true genetic freak, like that guy with three faces or Beak, instead of just being a golden ticket that basically made you a super model with godlike powers.

So what does that make Chamber, then? (Marvel Icons)

Wanderer posted:

Motherfucker, I know what you're talking about and I hate you for bringing that up.

Yay Fury. :patriot:

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Godzilla King of Monsters Vol 1 #23

This is from a while back, but I liked this panel so much I painted a 48"x24" version for my bathroom.

I was trying to make a copy but it kind of came out as an homage.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Blinken posted:

This is from a while back, but I liked this panel so much I painted a 48"x24" version for my bathroom.

I like that your version has JJJ flipping off Godzilla.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blinken posted:

I don't think I could use the toilet under JJJ's disapproving gaze.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

If you don't finish quick enough he will start yelling at you, unless you are reading the Bugle.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Random Stranger posted:

"Goddammit you're fired! Parker, get in here and show Random Stranger how to take a poo poo!"

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Blinken posted:

The new Godzilla film would have been ten times better if they had JJ Jameson flipping off Godzilla.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

The new Godzilla Every film would have been ten times better if they had JJ Jameson flipping off Godzilla.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

AnonSpore posted:

"Goddammit you're fired! Parker, get in here and show Random Stranger how to take a poo poo!"

"And bring me pictures of Spider-Man!"

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Random Stranger posted:

That's why Godzilla is there, to distract JJJ from glaring at you while you poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sefer posted:

That's why Godzilla is there, to distract JJJ from glaring at you while you poo poo.

I think if I saw Godzilla looking at me I would be able to poo poo without a problem. Maybe even uncontrollably.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I like that your version has JJJ flipping off Godzilla.

I figured that was the gist of all the word bubbles.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Would you prefer Hercules' approving gaze?

(I posted it before, but Superior Foes of Spider-Man #10)

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 16, 2014

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Red posted:

I liked First Class. I think the 60s Cold War/spy-fi stuff worked rather well with mutants.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I enjoyed The Wolverine. It was half 80s ninja movie, half James Bond.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Rai and the Future Force #15

I appear to have started an unintentional derail by noting on the awfulness that is X3.:psyduck: I'm a flooking dimbrain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

"And by the way do you have a lighter?"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Prison Warden posted:

I enjoyed The Wolverine. It was half 80s ninja movie, half James Bond.
So You Only Live Twice then?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pilchenstein posted:

Fun trivia: You Only Live Twice's script was written by Roald Dahl.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He also co-wrote the screenplay for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which was also based on a book by Ian Fleming.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Daktar posted:

I liked First Class. I think the 60s Cold War/spy-fi stuff worked rather well with mutants.

If you edited that film down to "Magneto: Nazi Hunter", it is goddamn amazing.

The rest of that movie (Kevin Bacon the cool villain, Jennifer Lawrence's dramatic tears, butterfly stripper, etc.) is straight trash.

Edit: To stay on topic, I've seen images from a comic based on the 60s Batman show - is it funny/good?

Red fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 16, 2014

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pilchenstein posted:

But not terrible!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Red posted:

If you edited that film down to "Magneto: Nazi Hunter", it is goddamn amazing.

The rest of that movie (Kevin Bacon the cool villain, Jennifer Lawrence's dramatic tears, butterfly stripper, etc.) is straight trash.

Edit: To stay on topic, I've seen images from a comic based on the 60s Batman show - is it funny/good?

You mean Inglourious Basterds 2: Archie Hicox Lives? Hell yeah that was a great film.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Red posted:

I believe you're thinking of Batman '66. I've only read the first issue, but it was pretty fun, and I've heard good things about the rest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Justice League United #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Edit: Nevermind.

• Locked thread