Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Indiana is a recourse state. The bank can pursue your wife for the deficiency if they think she can come up with the money. It would be best for all if you can clean up the house and sell it for enough to cover the remaining mortgage. Plan B should be a short sale so that the bank agrees to not pursue a deficiency judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

SlapActionJackson posted:

Indiana is a recourse state. The bank can pursue your wife for the deficiency if they think she can come up with the money. It would be best for all if you can clean up the house and sell it for enough to cover the remaining mortgage. Plan B should be a short sale so that the bank agrees to not pursue a deficiency judgement.

Alternatively, what is the rental market in that area like?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OneWhoKnows posted:

Alternatively, what is the rental market in that area like?

Don't even.

Then you'd have to fix it up, maintain it, *and* act as a landlord.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

silvergoose posted:

Don't even.

Yeah, there's no way I'd do that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

No one can predict how the market will do in the future. Maybe you will get 4%. Maybe you will get higher. Or maybe you will get a measly 1%. This also is dependent on diligently investing money you would be using to overpay on a mortgage that didn't have a better use elsewhere (i.e. maxing retirement accounts should probably come before overpaying on a mortgage).

Whereas, at least for me, overpaying my mortgage is a guaranteed 3.5% savings on interest down the line. If there is an investment vehicle that 100% guarantees a rate of return of better than 3.5%, it would be dumb to not do that instead but I don't believe such a thing currently exists. There has been treasury bonds with 4% in the past (80's) however so if the economy swings that way again, that would be a great time for all of us with great mortgage rates to stop overpaying.

In summary, some of us hate debt and love certainties? Not to say it's wrong to believe in that investments can do better, but there is a lot of uncertainty in that.

I think this point is the one I'm trying to hammer home. It's not a matter of 'oh can I make more than 3.5% every year in stocks vs a house' - right? Because presumably you don't just have 250k-350k sitting around in assets. When you take out a giant loan, you owe 3.5% compounding interest on the loan amount - which means you're immediately incurring buttloads of penalties on your savings-abilities on your current income, today, right now. Savings-abilities that also compound for your net worth over time.

so in my mind - if I'm understanding this correctly, and someone stop me if I'm wrong - even if you were making stellar returns on the amount of interest repayment money you're instead putting into stocks (which could implode ala 2008 at any time) - you still have to account for the penalty to your net-worth-building-efforts that having a compounding interest loan on let's say a 250k amount... which destroys the difference in return on the - let's say to make it easy - 10k in stock investments you can build up over a years time at - let's say 10% ROI.

I don't have excel infront of me, but I'd love to just run those numbers real quick and make sure I'm not missing something.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

mindphlux posted:

It's not a matter of 'oh can I make more than 3.5% every year in stocks vs a house' - right?
Yes, it is, for the most part. The $1000 extra mortgage payment that "saves you" 3% vs the $1000 you invest in the stock market at whatever rate that increases (or decreases). At the end of 10 years you either have a pile of equity in your home or a pile of assets in the stock market.

Things this scenario disregards:
- any amount your home value rises or falls
- any amount you have to pay for maintenance
- any tax savings you get for mortgage interest or rental depreciation
- the effect of inflation and using long-term debt as a hedge

"When you take out a giant loan, you owe 3.5% compounding interest on the loan amount - which means you're immediately incurring buttloads of penalties on your savings-abilities on your current income, right now."
I don't know what you're getting at here.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SlapActionJackson posted:

On a plus side you are not responsible for your spouses debts in Indiana. If this ruins your wives credit you can still ride out the shitstorm by keeping your credit good. You should pursue cash for keys, short sale, whatever you can to avoid foreclosure if you can though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

Because presumably you don't just have 250k-350k sitting around in assets.

I agree with everything slapmesilly said, including her confusion at your comments about damage to net worth. But I just wanted to add confusion as to this statement. Why not? If you save 50% of your net worth as a dual income family where your net income is ~100k (so about 65k gross per person), it only takes 5 years to get to 250k saved.

edit Wait, or are you not considering stocks as assets?

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 12, 2014

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I finally found a home in the Denver area for a reasonable price and was able to submit an offer as soon as it hit MLS. I'm pretty excited. The market is absolutely nuts in the Denver metro right now (see my earlier post history in this thread), but having contracted with a buyer's agent who was able to move quickly on showings for good properties was a huge help. My major lesson was that if your buyer isn't getting you into places and scheduling showings as soon as you see them hit MLS, don't be afraid to move on quickly.

$240k, 1868 finished sq. ft., 1 car garage, 3 ba, 1 full, 2 3/4ths baths, den, all appliances included, mid-sized backyard, close to shops and the major arteries into Boulder and Denver. My drive distance to work increases to 19 miles one way (38 miles R/T), but the home is in (what appears to be) pristine condition, hardwoods throughout, etc. Very little updating and almost no major issues during the walkthrough visual inspection. It's a half block from a nice little lake and walking distance to a retail center. I feel like I got into a great area that will appreciate well. Also, no HOA! :woop:

I have a real inspection scheduled for tomorrow, and I guess my appraisal sometime soon. :ohdear:

There are so many dates and deadlines I'm trying to juggle now that it's getting a bit overwhelming - inspection deadline, property insurance objection deadline, appraisal deadline, first time homebuyer class + credit deadline, etc. It's been a really trying process so far but I'm confident that it will be worth it.

It better be worth it. :negative:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 12, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Elephanthead posted:

On a plus side you are not responsible for your spouses debts in Indiana. If this ruins your wives credit you can still ride out the shitstorm by keeping your credit good. You should pursue cash for keys, short sale, whatever you can to avoid foreclosure if you can though.

Potentially just shirk it off on a cash sale, restructure the remaining debt into a longer loan or using your own home equity to pay it off and just eat the difference (which is hopefully not >30k?) 30k debt sucks and it would suck to get caught with it, but you've been pretty solid from what I remember of your management so it might be better than destroying your credit.

Rurutia posted:

I agree with everything slapmesilly said, including her confusion at your comments about damage to net worth. But I just wanted to add confusion as to this statement. Why not? If you save 50% of your net worth as a dual income family where your net income is ~100k (so about 65k gross per person), it only takes 5 years to get to 250k saved.

edit Wait, or are you not considering stocks as assets?

Not only ignoring stocks as assets, but also ignoring compound gains in investment opportunities.

mindphlux posted:

(which could implode ala 2008 at any time)

If you had money in the market the day before the implosion in an S&P 500 index, you would have far outpaced 3.5% between then and now. If you took your money out after an implosion, that's bad investment behavior, not an opportunity cost.

If you had your money in a house the day before the implosion, you could still be burned, but that's irrelevant to your loan (not entirely, but let's say that since it actually helps your position). You've got to be very long run in any long loan structure, so when you've forced yourself to think of a 30 year timeframe, the risk exposure of a few index funds isn't much. Once you're down to just a few years left on that mortgage/looking at retirement? Then seriously consider going into the equity because an implosion would suck.

Also consider that standard type rule of "100-Age in high risk, Age is low risk" distribution of investments, and you can probably treat your mortgage like bonds. Diversification is the key thing, because you're comparing a risk asset with a much higher rate of return versus a no-or-lo risk asset with a much lower one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gotcha. I must have been misunderstanding something - when I was looking at the numbers for myself, it seemed to make sense to at least aggressively build equity the first couple years until mortgage payments were around 50% principle 50% equity - but something about my assumptions of what would happen with money saved via stocks etc sounds like it's wonky. Thanks for the replies.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Don't even.

Not as a permanent measure, but surely it's something to consider if they want to fix it up for sale and it doesn't move right away - unless the monthly mortgage amount isn't a huge burden for them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

OneWhoKnows posted:

Not as a permanent measure, but surely it's something to consider if they want to fix it up for sale and it doesn't move right away - unless the monthly mortgage amount isn't a huge burden for them.

We could absorb it but not easily.

She's talking to a realtor tomorrow. Progress, it would seem.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
If the difference in my monthly mortgage payment (with insurance and all other etc.) is only $33/month, does it make sense to take a higher loan rate at 4.625% instead of 4.375%?

Basically, some forms from my lender are showing me that I'll have ~$3,369 in savings at closing if I take the higher rate of 4.625%. My monthly mortgage payments will be $33/mo higher than they would be at 4.375% over the life of the loan.

To break even on the money I would save at closing, I would need to remain in the home for ~102 monthly payments or approximately 8 1/2 years.

If my girlfriend/eventual wife and I plan on moving before or slightly after that period of time has elapsed, it's a no brainer to take the slightly higher rate to save significantly on closing costs, right? Someone check my thinking here.

\/\/ - It's in Northglenn, so close enough. My round trip to Boulder from this place is about 38 miles. Not great, but still a reasonable distance for a house in the Denver metro area to me. You can basically write off living in a house anywhere closer than Broomfield if you're not in the low six figures.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 13, 2014

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

a shameful boehner posted:

There are so many dates and deadlines I'm trying to juggle now that it's getting a bit overwhelming - inspection deadline, property insurance objection deadline, appraisal deadline, first time homebuyer class + credit deadline, etc. It's been a really trying process so far but I'm confident that it will be worth it.

It better be worth it. :negative:

Cool that you found a place in Broomfield! My process went about as smoothly as one could hope for (got keys two weeks ago), and it was still a long pain in the rear end.

[Edit] Just saw you already scheduled the inspection. I was going to suggest the guy I used, because he was awesome.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^if it is Bromfield then close but not my neighbor.

I finally found a home in the Denver area for a reasonable price...

Not going to lie it sounds like you are going to be my neighbor. What cross roads will you be near?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It'll be off 104th, a few blocks to I-25.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Basically, some forms from my lender are showing me that I'll have ~$3,369 in savings at closing if I take the higher rate of 4.625%. My monthly mortgage payments will be $33/mo higher than they would be at 4.375% over the life of the loan.

To break even on the money I would save at closing, I would need to remain in the home for ~102 monthly payments or approximately 8 1/2 years.

You actually need to calculate the present value of your future savings to compare to the present value of your closing savings, after taking into account that the money could be invested, so at 3% hypothetical inflation and 4% real ROI you would need to remain for a bit over 11 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It'll be off 104th, a few blocks to I-25.

Ah cool, good luck with closing it all down.

I am at 80th and Wadsworth.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 13, 2014

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
/\/\ - Thanks man, looking forward to the next big step in this process. :)

baquerd posted:

You actually need to calculate the present value of your future savings to compare to the present value of your closing savings, after taking into account that the money could be invested, so at 3% hypothetical inflation and 4% real ROI you would need to remain for a bit over 11 years.

To me it seems like a no brainer to take the higher interest rate then, since it's quite likely we'll move on before that period of time has elapsed. Plus, even if we don't, we could probably refinance the mortgage down the road for a lower payment if we needed to.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Yeah, you can't compute the break-even point just from the difference in monthly payments. In addition to return on savings you also have to consider the difference in taxes. Overall it sounds like it's not worth paying for the lower rate in this case.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I finally found a home in the Denver area for a reasonable price and was able to submit an offer as soon as it hit MLS. I'm pretty excited.

Congrats!

For my housing search, nothing really worth looking at has come up in over 2 weeks now. It's not like I'm being super picky at what I look at either, there just isn't much hitting the market.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Pardon if this has been asked before, but has anyone gone with new construction and have any advice/tips/regrets? My wife and I have been looking for a while now with the goal of buying end of this year-early next year, and we've stumbled upon a new neighborhood where a new home is not only the right price, but also in a good location. There are some great closing cost incentives in addition to whatever other promotions they have going on at the time. The home is Centex.

Just wondering if anyone had gone this route.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bought a new Centex home about 4 years ago. What do you want to know?

edit: Now that I'm in front of a computer I can add quite a bit to this. Here's a quick list of pro/cons and other general advice.

Pro's of new construction:
  • Energy Efficiency. My newer construction house is very energy efficient. 14SEER A/C unit, lots of insulation, solar board in the attic, etc. I keep my house at 71 degrees in the San Antonio heat and I've never had an electric bill higher than 200 dollars.
  • Closing cost assistance. Centex paid all of our closing costs. The only out of pocket money for us was our down payment. We were foolish and went in with only 3.5% down on an FHA loan.
  • You get to pick some of your options. Centex will have an option sheet and you can pick and choose what you want in your house. They usually have 3 levels of options. Basic, Nicer, and Nicest. Get an idea of what is worth spending money on, and what isn't. Remember you're financing this for 30 years, so if you can make the change yourself after you buy the house fairly inexpensively and pay for it out of pocket, your much better off doing so.

Cons
  • Living in a construction neighborhood. We bought in Jan 2010 and they are still loving building houses in our neighborhood 4 years later. They opened up a 2nd phase we were unaware of when we bought, and thank god they're almost done with it. The extra traffic and noise sucks.
  • You better be planning to live there a long while. The resale market in our neighborhood is brutal. The same floorplan of my house sold for 192K brand new down the street, but I couldn't sell my house right now for the 160K I paid for it if I wanted to. As long as the builder is still around, you can forget about selling your house at a reasonable price.
  • Builders are out to maximize profits. I have no issues with the construction of my home, and in our section of the development the lots are 70' wide which is nice and all the utility boxes are in the backyard. The 2nd phase though the lots are down to 55' wide which means the homes are much closer together and the utility boxes are in the front yard (which I think is ugly). With established homes you can get a lot more space between homes. Generally if you can lean out a window and spit on your neighbors house, I consider that to be too close. Builders give no shits though, by making the lot smaller they can build an extra house in the space it used to take for 4.
  • Unless you're looking at one of their higher end lines, your options are going to be limited on what you can choose for your new house. You'll get 3 different colors of kitchen cabinets to pick from. Those are your choices. I wanted to run ethernet throughout the house before the drywall went up, and they wouldn't let me do it. In generally they are not going to be very flexible with you.
  • Some of the cost cutting moves the builder took get on my nerves. I know why they did it, but it's still annoying. For instance, the driveway for our house is only 18 feet wide instead of 20 or 22. Sure they saved a little money on the concrete, but an 18 foot wide driveway loving sucks when you have 2 full sized vehicles. It's very common in my neighborhood for folks to extend the driveway 2 feet on either side. The contractor that put in my rear fence cheaped out on the concrete for the fence posts, there was less than 1/4 bag of quickrete in each hole and my fence started sagging. I wasted a Saturday and a little money dumping an entire bag down each post hole to fix the fence.
  • Timeline, it's going to take 6 to 7 months before you move into the house.

I could go on and on really, but overall I'm happy with my house, and I'm happy with the location it's in. In hindsight though I much rather have rented a house in my current neighborhood for less than 100 extra dollars a month than my current mortgage payment. We have a young family and don't live close to our relatives, so right now the option to move is off the table unless I bring about 10K to the table when I go to sell the place. Fun fact about 30 year mortgages, I've made about 52 payments on my house at an appx cost of 67,600 dollars (1300/mo). Of that money spent I've reduced my actual mortgage balance appx 10,000 dollars. The other 57,600 dollars went to interest, taxes, and insurance premiums. If I do sell my supposed 10,000 in 'equity' will be instantly demolished by realtor fees. If I could break even on the transaction I would sell my house tomorrow. Who wants to talk about throwing money away? Don't get me wrong, I love living in a house, I just don't think I love owning a house.

Another tip, if you do buy a house you're going to get bombarded with tons of service offerings and extended warranties. I added up the cost of all the extended warranties and service plans they wanted to sell us and it added up to over 1300 dollars. This was for the Stove, Microwave, Fridge, Washer, Dryer, Water Heater, A/C unit and the TV we purchased. I chose at that point to 'self insure'. I basically bet that in 3 years I wouldn't spend 1300 dollars fixing whatever broke instead of spending 1300 on extended warranties. I've come out far ahead. In a little over 4 years the only thing I've had to do was have the A/C unit looked at once for a cost of around 300 dollars. The service guys come out of the woodwork as well. Alarm companies, Pest control, Lawncare, you name it, they pay to get a list of new homeowners. They'll be knocking on the door and mailing you crap every week for the first few months.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 13, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So far my free Zillow ad has brought in two lookie loos. You suckers using fancy Realtors are throwing away more money then renters!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So the inspection found a roof less than 5 years old, a water heater manufactured and installed in the last year, a furnace manufactured and installed in the last year, insulated windows, no cracks in the foundation all the way down to the crawlspace, a half block to a lake, a half block to shopping, and was built in 1961. Hardwood floors throughout, all appliances included. Saw all this and confirmed with an inspector with my own eyes, including crawling through the crawlspace.

Holy poo poo, I feel like I hit the house lottery. Either that, or it's built on a pet cemetery or something.

There are some trees close to the house, so still gotta get a sewer scope, but still pretty amazed. Apparently the biggest potential issue is that there are some pipes of differing material joined together in the plumb which can cause electrolysis between the metals and corrode the pipes. I'm not sure whether or not that's a big enough issue to warrant including in the objection (since there aren't issues now), otherwise, the house is pristine.

\/\/ There are a few locations where GFIs aren't installed and the installation in the attic is old but not asbestos. Didn't do a radon test since it's a tri-level built on a hill with no basement or downstairs bedrooms and a walk-out basement in the den. Load tested at 100 amps and according to the inspector that's enough to power the house.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 14, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

2 things to consider or remember is that the house could have asbestos insulation, especially in the attic, and the house wiring could be under powered for today's loads. Also did they have GFIs installed in all the wet locations (my house from '78 had no GFI and the wiring is funky as hell)?

Does sound like you have some good bones though!

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

So the inspection found a roof less than 5 years old, a water heater manufactured and installed in the last year, a furnace manufactured and installed in the last year, insulated windows, no cracks in the foundation all the way down to the crawlspace, a half block to a lake, a half block to shopping, and was built in 1961. Hardwood floors throughout, all appliances included. Saw all this and confirmed with an inspector with my own eyes, including crawling through the crawlspace.

Holy poo poo, I feel like I hit the house lottery. Either that, or it's built on a pet cemetery or something.

There are some trees close to the house, so still gotta get a sewer scope, but still pretty amazed. Apparently the biggest potential issue is that there are some pipes of differing material joined together in the plumb which can cause electrolysis between the metals and corrode the pipes. I'm not sure whether or not that's a big enough issue to warrant including in the objection (since there aren't issues now), otherwise, the house is pristine.

\/\/ There are a few locations where GFIs aren't installed and the installation in the attic is old but not asbestos. Didn't do a radon test since it's a tri-level built on a hill with no basement or downstairs bedrooms and a walk-out basement in the den. Load tested at 100 amps and according to the inspector that's enough to power the house.

My inspection came in unbelievably clean too, and then the day after closing, I discovered water damage and subsequently mold.

Happy closing!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-13/fannie-freddie-overseer-easing-loan-buybacks-mortgages.html

So glad that we've learned from our mistakes. Predicting house prices to rise sharply for 5 years and then crash terribly.

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
I defaulted on a smallish student loan (<$10k) a few years back. Long story short, I am now gainfully employed (>$50k/yr) and was able to pay off the loan in full pretty quickly. Now, come to find out that was probably a mistake. I had never heard of student loan rehabilitation and now I guess there's no way to get that default off my credit report.

Is there any hope of me getting a mortgage (I'm a veteran as well) or should I tell my lady that we have to wait like 4 more years for our hopes and dreams to come to fruition?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-13/fannie-freddie-overseer-easing-loan-buybacks-mortgages.html

So glad that we've learned from our mistakes. Predicting house prices to rise sharply for 5 years and then crash terribly.

The best part is when the guy complains that the scrutiny given to their bad past loans, has continued to be applied to current and new loans.

If they couldn't be trusted then, there is no reason to trust them now.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 14, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A dude on my facebook who sells houses just posted a video of a home showing for a 3 story home. It's currently uninhabited, the owners have moved already.
When he walks in with the client, their feet splash in the standing water on the floor. A pipe had burst in the top floor's bathroom, and all three floors are soaked.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
All floors freshly washed down?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
How do I know what's worth haggling over following the inspection? I know the real answer is "whatever you don't want to fix yourself" - and I'm okay with doing some basic home repairs - but ultimately I don't want to risk the seller walking away because the next buyer won't quibble.

For example, there are some door catch springs missing from the front and rear doors. Not a major replacement. An outdoor garden faucet is missing the valve head (still works fine though with little spigot controls on the end). Not a major replacement. The gutters have debris that needs clearing and drains needing to be flushed, and some very small branches (<4" diameter) from a nearby tree that could rub on the roof shingles. Probably stuff that could be done in a weekend.

However, the one potentially big issue that was noted were the connections between copper and galvanized plumbing which can cause corrosion, especially given the high mineral content in the water here in Colorado. According to my inspector that's probably worth consulting with a licensed plumber about how to install "Dial Electric" pipe separators, but I honestly don't know the first thing about what that would entail, cost of hiring a plumber to fix, etc.

I feel lucky given the relatively pristine state of the rest of the home, but that one worries me a bit.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 14, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A lot depends on the market. If this house or similar houses have been on the market for a while, then you can afford to play hardball, but if houses tend to sell quickly in this particular neighborhood I'd only bring up stuff if I'm 100% okay with walking away over.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006

identity49 posted:

I defaulted on a smallish student loan (<$10k) a few years back. Long story short, I am now gainfully employed (>$50k/yr) and was able to pay off the loan in full pretty quickly. Now, come to find out that was probably a mistake. I had never heard of student loan rehabilitation and now I guess there's no way to get that default off my credit report.

Is there any hope of me getting a mortgage (I'm a veteran as well) or should I tell my lady that we have to wait like 4 more years for our hopes and dreams to come to fruition?

I've found that this will really depend on the underwriter. Talk to a loan officer and see what your options are. I've heard of pay for delete arrangement, but I think you're SOL if you've already paid the defaulted loan in full - somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
First major housing dilemma.

So we're buying a place in South East London and we had our offer accepted about 4-5 weeks ago. It's a top floor 2-bed maisonette (we're top floor with ground floor being rented out by freeholder). We had a valuation done and the surveyor came back and said the roof needs a complete overhaul. We've told this to the vendor and said we'd want this done by him before considering buying it. He's come back and agreed on fixing the roof.

The issue comes up where the real estate agent has told us that the vendor won't spend the money on the roof unless we're committed to buy (ie. the roof repair is put in the contract). His stance obviously is that he doesn't want to spend the money without some commitment from us. While I could understand his point, if we were to say not interested and he re-listed it, the same issue would come up with the next potential buyer's survey.

I spoke to our solicitor and he was weary stating that we could get screwed over by the vendor whereby we complete and he never holds his end of the deal (the cost of taking them to court could be higher than actual costs). One other option our solicitor mentioned was entering in the contract that completion won't be done until the roof has been fixed and independently reviewed to be adequate. I figured we could also enter a clause stating that any shortfalls in the quality of the roof would be withheld from the purchase price of the property. Still though, the solicitor said it's still not optimal because you're introducing a grey area in the contract (what would be considered an adequate level of quality?)

Now normally I'd walk but given the price we're buying it for and the current prices of the property around (if you can even find any inventory), we're getting a good price on it.

Anyone have any experiences adding clauses like this to the contract?

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

How do I know what's worth haggling over following the inspection? I know the real answer is "whatever you don't want to fix yourself" - and I'm okay with doing some basic home repairs - but ultimately I don't want to risk the seller walking away because the next buyer won't quibble.

For example, there are some door catch springs missing from the front and rear doors. Not a major replacement. An outdoor garden faucet is missing the valve head (still works fine though with little spigot controls on the end). Not a major replacement. The gutters have debris that needs clearing and drains needing to be flushed, and some very small branches (<4" diameter) from a nearby tree that could rub on the roof shingles. Probably stuff that could be done in a weekend.

However, the one potentially big issue that was noted were the connections between copper and galvanized plumbing which can cause corrosion, especially given the high mineral content in the water here in Colorado. According to my inspector that's probably worth consulting with a licensed plumber about how to install "Dial Electric" pipe separators, but I honestly don't know the first thing about what that would entail, cost of hiring a plumber to fix, etc.

I feel lucky given the relatively pristine state of the rest of the home, but that one worries me a bit.

Check the terms of your contract to be sure, but there's probably nothing to lose by claiming defects, regardless whether they end up agreeing to anything. Either they agree to a fix or credit, or they ignore you. In the event of the latter, you can rescind your claim and move on with closing. The contract probably doesn't let the seller just walk because you asked for inspection concessions, unless your realtor sucks at writing a contract.

As for the specific plumbing issue, see if there are any plumbers who can give you a free quote. Having hard numbers to claim is a good place to start.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm not familiar with the house hunting and closing process in other countries, but as far as I'm aware, you would be within contract to walk away after repairs are done if they are found to be unsatisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Filthee Fingas posted:

First major housing dilemma.

So we're buying a place in South East London and we had our offer accepted about 4-5 weeks ago. It's a top floor 2-bed maisonette (we're top floor with ground floor being rented out by freeholder). We had a valuation done and the surveyor came back and said the roof needs a complete overhaul. We've told this to the vendor and said we'd want this done by him before considering buying it. He's come back and agreed on fixing the roof.

The issue comes up where the real estate agent has told us that the vendor won't spend the money on the roof unless we're committed to buy (ie. the roof repair is put in the contract). His stance obviously is that he doesn't want to spend the money without some commitment from us. While I could understand his point, if we were to say not interested and he re-listed it, the same issue would come up with the next potential buyer's survey.

I spoke to our solicitor and he was weary stating that we could get screwed over by the vendor whereby we complete and he never holds his end of the deal (the cost of taking them to court could be higher than actual costs). One other option our solicitor mentioned was entering in the contract that completion won't be done until the roof has been fixed and independently reviewed to be adequate. I figured we could also enter a clause stating that any shortfalls in the quality of the roof would be withheld from the purchase price of the property. Still though, the solicitor said it's still not optimal because you're introducing a grey area in the contract (what would be considered an adequate level of quality?)

Now normally I'd walk but given the price we're buying it for and the current prices of the property around (if you can even find any inventory), we're getting a good price on it.

Anyone have any experiences adding clauses like this to the contract?

In my opinion, you want the job done right, and the definition of right is going to differ between both parties. There is no incentive for the seller to do anything but the worst possible roof job to still conform to having "fixed the roof." Adding, in writing, what constitutes "fixing the roof" to the contract is going to be a huge headache. I would look into whether you can have them pay you cash at closing to fix the roof, after which you use it to get the roof done. Then the hard part is going to be negotiating the cash amount. They'll get some quotes, you get some quotes, you compare and find out their quotes are 1/3rd your quotes, and you negotiate from there.

As I'm sure you're aware, getting cash at closing is much different than lowering the house price, if you're financing. It costs the seller nominally the same amount, but in one situation you are out a lot more out-of-pocket.