Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Know anything about why the detail textures option won't save or is it also something to do with how Unreal is coded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you're using one of the updated renderers I think it's a known bug. If you're using the regular Epic one, hell if I know. Try just forcing it on in the ini files, should just be DetailTextures = 1

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 12, 2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is kind of a stupid problem to have I guess, but has anyone seen some sort of explorer plugin or an app of some sort for telling you what wad files have what in them? I just have everything dumped into my gzdoom folder right now and there are wads for Doom 1, 2, and Heretic, and hell if I can remember which are which when I come back a month later. A good launcher that could tell me would work well too. Any ideas?

I'm not sure there is such a thing. If there was it would have to be heuristic based, probably looking at the texture names used in the wad and the level numbering.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

That said, they'd have to get back whoever did the amazing tracker music to get the atmosphere just right.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4828-Music-(Original-Unreal-UT-Composer)&p=32267#post32267 posted:

Hi!

My name is Michiel van den Bos and one of the two main composers for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It's been a while and my memory's a bit foggy, but my music has been featured in classic maps like Curse][, Codex, Facing Worlds, Tempest and many others. I've been composing for games ever since, including the universally praised soundtrack for Age of Wonders 3.

I'm writing here because I was getting messages and e-mails telling me I should, due to the announcement of the new UT.

I was wondering if there is any interest in me getting involved and I'm sure I can get Alex to join in too.
If so, I'd be happy to continue a discussion here or off-forum at mikebossmusic[at]gmail.com.

Thank you for your attention and best regards,
Michiel van den Bos

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4828-Music-(Original-Unreal-UT-Composer)&p=34242&viewfull=1#post34242 posted:

Michiel,
Of course we would be thrilled to have you and Alex involved in this project! The music you guys made always invokes tremendous nostalgia for me - I'm always instantly transported back to playing UT. How are you interested in participating?

Steve

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh wow, this is going to be amazing :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think this counts as a retro FPS by now, if you really don't mind feeling older than usual - Bungie is apparently on the verge of releasing a new patch for Halo 1 PC that will replace the doomed Gamespy with a Bungie-run master server and also fix some bugs I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Oh gently caress yes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Michiel van den Bos and Alexander Brandon on UT4? :getin:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

Michiel van den Bos and Alexander Brandon on UT4? :getin:

Well at least we know one part of it will be good? Now to wait and see if the rest is.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chiefnewo posted:

Well at least we know one part of it will be good? Now to wait and see if the rest is.

Honestly I think the music in UT2k4 and UT3 was good too. I wouldn't mind if Kevin Riepl or Rom di Prisco showed up to do the music instead, they've proven themselves to be more than competent.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
UT2k4 and UT3's soundtracks were quite good and I wouldn't be disappointed with them, but the original soundtrack is probably the best soundtrack for getting into the arena shooter mood that I have ever heard. The music itself draws focus towards the game play, and I have no idea how they did that but it is awesome.

edit: grumble grumble seriously need to write a markdown-to-bbcode browser extension

Keiya fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 13, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Completely different in tone of course, but Michiel van den Bos's work on Age of Wonders 3's musical scores is pretty phenomenal. Recommended if you want something varied in tone while busying yourself. :haw:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Due out next week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03QrqZoCEY

I hope that the Mission Mode expansion still works on this new version.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

Due out next week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03QrqZoCEY

I hope that the Mission Mode expansion still works on this new version.

Speaking of doomified platformers, this is adorable.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of doomified platformers, this is adorable.

Oh, wow. I love that. Thanks for the link!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I played the May 6th build a fair bit, and it's pretty faithful to the original game. Levels only share themes, admittedly, and he did add a few new keys and weapons spells that weren't in the original, but by-and-large, it's a faithful translation of the original 2D platformer into a 3D FPS.

I suppose that's not exactly a great thing when you realize that means there's a whopping total of three enemies in the entire game (flying enemies that shoot, walking enemies that shoot, walking enemies that charge), but eh, not a huge deal, the end result is quite fun to play.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So 3D Realms and Interceptor's not Duke Nukem game gets revealed in less than a day. I'm kinda excited to see what they did to make it not infringe on Gearbox's ownership of Duke.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Nuke Dukem: Come get you some!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Duke Newcomb, basically Duke Nukem but with a wicked mullet played by Roddy Piper.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick rear end…and I’m all out of bubblegum.”

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Go Down IV :getin:

I'm gonna need to upgrade my PC for UT4, huh? :suicide:

E: vvvvvv gently caress. Yes. Now we just need Rom di Prisco and SDG (the guys who did the music for the Onslaught maps) to pitch in.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 14, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Honestly I think the music in UT2k4 and UT3 was good too. I wouldn't mind if Kevin Riepl or Rom di Prisco showed up to do the music instead, they've proven themselves to be more than competent.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?5020-ut2004-music-composer-(Kevin-Riepl)-is-interested&p=34697&viewfull=1#post34697

kriepl posted:

It's awesome to hear the responses and the passion for this series! It was so much fun working on it. Thanks for reaching out!
I know first hand that the fans are HUGELY attached to Michiel and Alex's work on the early UT's. Coming into the series for Ut2003 & 2004, that was made apparent, =) but i had different shoes to fill. And i am super happy that fans received my contribution to the series pretty well.
I agree with the lot, Michiel and Alex's music embodies the true essence of what UT really is.

I'm certainly not opposed to being a part of this. I have no idea the schedule of the development and my contribution I suppose would depend on my schedule allowing it.
So that being said...much thanks for the passion for my music I wrote for UT. I hope I can stay on top of the info being circulated regarding the development.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
The more I hear from people actually involved in the creation of the previous UT games, the more I look forward to the new UT.

The more I read the "discussion" forums for the new UT, the more I hate vocal fans of any game series. Please don't let them piss in the soup, Epic.

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.
UT3's music was my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the previous titles, but to me the UT3 soundtrack was the most well done.
Also hell yes to this:

Bloody Pom posted:

Go Down IV :getin:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Onion did a video article on Wolfenstein: The New Order.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Superannuationblog linked this Glassdoor review of Id Software and is pretty convinced it's legit. Yet again, a very ugly picture of Doom 4's development is painted.

Anonymous Former Developer posted:

The hiring practices: They've turned away good candidates in all departments because the leads have expressed a desire to hire only students or people they've worked with before.

The broken technology: The entire tech team at id software has quit and moved to Occulus - they all left this past February all together on the same day to protest the managements treatment of people.

The non-stop attrition: When all of the teams merged together to create the "new" Doom team 2 years ago, there was around 140+ developers to make the game. Now, there is only around 50. The non-stop attrition has gotten so bad, that they had to contract outside the company for the multiplayer portion of the game, and we have contractors doing a bulk of our art work.

The non-stop reboots and changes of direction: Every 4 months or so, they tell us that the current direction is all wrong for doom, and will re-boot most, if not all, of the game. This means that for over 2 years of work, there is no game to show, beyond 1 or 2 blockout levels and numerous prototypes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

The broken technology: The entire tech team at id software has quit and moved to Occulus - they all left this past February all together on the same day to protest the managements treatment of people.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that.

I mean Id sans Carmack didn't have much going for it, especially these days with a troubled Doom 4 as the only thing on the horizon.

But the whole tech team left with Carmack? I didn't realize it was that bad.

Id is dead. That's it. They're just Zenimax QA team 3 now. :smith: They'll kick out whatever crap of Doom 4 they've put together and then they'll be shut down or absorbed into another studio. Id's been on thin ice with Zenimax as it was, but now they're doomed. (:cheeky:)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Id is dead. That's it. They're just Zenimax QA team 3 now. :smith: They'll kick out whatever crap of Doom 4 they've put together and then they'll be shut down or absorbed into another studio. Id's been on thin ice with Zenimax as it was, but now they're doomed. (:cheeky:)
If there's a silver lining, it's that judging by previews, Machinegames seem to "get" Id's franchises - if Doom, Quake etc. were gathered up in a bucket of gibs and given to them to make cool stuff with...

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Doom 4 was never going to be as good as the first or even 3 due to the market preferring bad shooters but this just confirms it. They don't even know what to do with the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Prey 2 all over again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, in sorta-related news - Kenneth Scott just joined Oculus as their art director. He did a lot of the skins in Quake 3 (and also Daikatana...) but most recently worked on Halo 4. He seems like pretty cool people.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

If there's a silver lining, it's that judging by previews, Machinegames seem to "get" Id's franchises - if Doom, Quake etc. were gathered up in a bucket of gibs and given to them to make cool stuff with...

Yeah, I went from complete disinterest to preordering (Albeit at a steep discount) the new Wolfenstein after seeing it in action. It looks like a proper modern followup to RTCW.

I have absolutely no faith in iD at this time, though. I'm going to be blown away if Doom 4 is even recognizable as part of the series. I want to be surprised here, but I'm not too sure I will be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

I'm okay with giving somebody else a shot at those franchises.

Then again, Id doesn't really have IP, other than Rage. Otherwise the whole thing is just "FPS in _____", pick hell, cyberhell, or nazi germany depending.

Overbite posted:

Doom 4 was never going to be as good as the first or even 3 due to the market preferring bad shooters but this just confirms it. They don't even know what to do with the game.

They had to go back to the drawing board and remake the game like 3 times already, so yeah they definitely don't know what to do with it.

The Kins posted:

Oh, in sorta-related news - Kenneth Scott just joined Oculus as their art director. He did a lot of the skins in Quake 3 (and also Daikatana...) but most recently worked on Halo 4. He seems like pretty cool people.

Hmmm.... what does Oculus need an art director for? I mean maybe like some graphic designers, sure, but an art director?

That almost makes it seem like they want to develop some first-party VR content... which would absolutely make sense, but would take even more resources. Then again, they're flush with cash post-FB buyout...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really don't understand how much trouble a Doom game could be. Just reskin Painkiller or Serious Sam to decrepit research facilities and hellish Martian landscapes. Toss in a heavy metal soundtrack, local or online co-op, and a map making toolkit and call it a day. It could even be a budget release, let the fans make the game for you while you rake in the dough.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Just reskin ... Serious Sam
No offense to Croteam, but Serious Sam has a very different gameplay flow to Doom or Quake - the environment is way less of a factor in single-player combat, it's all about managing the horde and prioritizing targets while dodging and backpedding like mad.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

If your game has a player run speed that is even remotely plausible then you're not really Dooming it up.

When I play Doom and then switch to Team Fortress 2 it's painful because the scout feels so goddamn slow. Being able to haul your rear end out of almost any situation is a huge part of what Doom is to me.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 14, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I really don't understand how much trouble a Doom game could be. Just reskin Painkiller or Serious Sam to decrepit research facilities and hellish Martian landscapes. Toss in a heavy metal soundtrack, local or online co-op, and a map making toolkit and call it a day. It could even be a budget release, let the fans make the game for you while you rake in the dough.

A budget release is probably the only way it could work, but I don't think Zenimax is interested in those. It sounds like they want something that makes Call of Duty money, and as the game continues to stew in development hell they need that big return more and more to justify all of the money they've sunk into it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Zaphod42 posted:

That almost makes it seem like they want to develop some first-party VR content...

Yup. https://twitter.com/oculus/status/466309521824948224

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
So the real Doom 4 will be for the Oculus Rift.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Such a shame, Zenimax should just sell the Doom rights to Occulus/Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not sure how to feel about this, but George Broussard had a stroke today, apparently within the past hour of me writing this post.