Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Drastic Actions posted:

To be fair, the preview is a bit like running an later iOS beta version. It's not unusable, but it's still meant primarily for developers and not really meant to be used as a daily driver.

Agreed, but at the same time their attitude was: it's for developers and "developers", wink wink.

I aint mad. I'm very very happy on WP8 now and I'm sure that when 8.1 officially releases, I won't have those crazy issues.

After 2 hours of bluetooth, streaming music. Very happy again :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HorseHeadBed posted:

Cool. Thanks! I just might have to buy that big yellow bastard.

If you don't need a phone right now, I would be waiting to see if a Lumia 1030 presents itself by the end of the year. Camera aside, the 1020 is a big step down from newer upcoming phones like the 930.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

If you don't need a phone right now, I would be waiting to see if a Lumia 1030 presents itself by the end of the year. Camera aside, the 1020 is a big step down from newer upcoming phones like the 930.

The end of the year?! But I'm jonesing for a phonesing NOW NOW NOW.

But thanks. That's good to know...

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

HorseHeadBed posted:

The end of the year?! But I'm jonesing for a phonesing NOW NOW NOW.

But thanks. That's good to know...

And it's not getting any of the shiny new camera functions that are coming in Cyan - basically, at this point, view the 1020 as abandoned hardware.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

cstine posted:

And it's not getting any of the shiny new camera functions that are coming in Cyan - basically, at this point, view the 1020 as abandoned hardware.

Apart from the camera, the hardware is essentially already 18 months old. While that might not concern you much now, you're probably going to have the thing for two years or so. I wouldn't want to be using a 4 year old phone at any stage.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like a picture of LGs return to Windows Phone has leaked, supposedly for Verizon:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5712798/lg-uni8-windows-phone-8-1-device-rumor

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 13, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like a picture of LGs return to Windows Phone has leaked, supposedly for Verizon:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5712798/lg-uni8-windows-phone-8-1-device-rumor

Can't be, it doesn't say Verizon anywhere on the front.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

RVProfootballer posted:

Can't be, it doesn't say Verizon anywhere on the front.

You can't see the back. It probably has a huge Verizon logo spanning the top left and bottom right corners of the phone. :v:

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Apart from the camera, the hardware is essentially already 18 months old. While that might not concern you much now, you're probably going to have the thing for two years or so. I wouldn't want to be using a 4 year old phone at any stage.

Alright, you've convinced me. (Also, I fiddled about with one in the shop and it felt awkward in the hand.) Thanks for the sage advice. The search continues...

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003
I didn't realise until now that a wide phone tile displays detailed missed call info.

Krinos fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 14, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Update to 8.1 developer preview is out: https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/466626148193947648

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Indeed, installed and ready. Will see if it smooths some of the rough parts of 8.1 out a bit.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I've installed the update and already I have 2gb freed. Everything else seems ok. Hopefully it does fix the terrible battery life I've been getting.

Also, why did it take them a month to bring out a bugfix?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Probably because it's pre-release software and there are other priorities besides stopping everything and rushing out a fix for your specific issue.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Also, why did it take them a month to bring out a bugfix?

It is a developer preview. I am boggled as to why everyone is expecting flawless software or constant updates.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It is a developer preview. I am boggled as to why everyone is expecting flawless software or constant updates.

I for one would expect more frequent updates on beta software.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anything new?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I didn't realize my Lumia 625 didn't have a compass. I just kind of assumed all phones had those now. As a man who easily gets lost in the simplest of places this is kind of disappointing to me.

But hey, at least now I know what to look for in my next WinPho.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Is the file duplication problem on a SD card fixed in 8.1 ?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

iLikeMidgets posted:

Is the file duplication problem on a SD card fixed in 8.1 ?

Do you mean the music "file" duplication issue? It was never a file duplication, it was basically the DB representing duplicate files (and triplicate...then 4x, 5x...etc) but the files weren't actually duplicated, just the DB was more fragile than a DB hosted on FAT16. That still happened on my 520 after using 8.1 for a few days, but I then reformatted the SD card from a PC and re-loaded and haven't had it happen again, albeit Xbox music is still a POS so that solved just one problem (for now).

If this is outside of music, not sure - never heard of this happening outside of the music DB.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything new?

Don't see any. At least this morning after charging it last night though (9 hours ago) my battery dropped on my 520 by 7%.

Before this update it was more like 20-25% after a night left alone (phone was reset after the 8.1 update as well). So we'll see throughout the day.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Do you mean the music "file" duplication issue? It was never a file duplication, it was basically the DB representing duplicate files (and triplicate...then 4x, 5x...etc) but the files weren't actually duplicated, just the DB was more fragile than a DB hosted on FAT16. That still happened on my 520 after using 8.1 for a few days, but I then reformatted the SD card from a PC and re-loaded and haven't had it happen again, albeit Xbox music is still a POS so that solved just one problem (for now).

If this is outside of music, not sure - never heard of this happening outside of the music DB.

Yes, the music file issue. I should of been more clear. So reformatting the SD card on the PC is the way to go? Because I've just been formatting the card on my 520.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, every blog posting I could find about the update just seemed to parrot Belfiore's "bugfixes and battery improvements" tweet, so I doubt we'll find any new features or even information on which specific bugs were fixed or anything.

Hoping the battery life is actually better; that and Xbox Music were my only real complaints.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

One thing I did notice is the little circle that you drag for the cursor shows up much more consistently now, which I guess is a bug fix.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
My bluetooth got a little flaky with 8.1 and is working better in the car again (unscientific observance). Small things like not resuming when it should have, not connecting, etc.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

One weird issue I noticed that popped up after I installed the new update is the decimal point no longer works in the Wells Fargo app when I'm trying to enter the amount of a mobile check deposit. I've tested another app that brings up the number pad control and the decimal works fine there, but it doesn't work in the Wells Fargo app anymore for some reason. The app hasn't updated recently either.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

When in the world did they change the text input cursor from showing up above your finger to easily place it (ala WP7+) to the new lovely method of right below where you can't see under your finger (ala poo poo Android)?

Why in the hell would they go to a inferior method since it makes you have to tap around until you actually get to the space you were shooting for, vs the old method that had it easily snap to text, and being above your finger you could actually see wtf you cursor is doing.

WTF is with this regressing tech BS that keeps happening to this fine OS. Dammit! :psyduck:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Yeah, pretty sure they did not read the whole tweet there. That, or I can create a meme app that will erase everything on the users phone, in which case I'll get right on it!

EDIT: On a side note, the first sentience of that translation is a bit too literal for my taste. :mmmhmm:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 15, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Wiseblood posted:

One weird issue I noticed that popped up after I installed the new update is the decimal point no longer works in the Wells Fargo app when I'm trying to enter the amount of a mobile check deposit. I've tested another app that brings up the number pad control and the decimal works fine there, but it doesn't work in the Wells Fargo app anymore for some reason. The app hasn't updated recently either.

Same thing for me, kind of; since installing the preview I can't enter in the amount I want to pay for the Bank of Montreal app. My other apps work fine when I want to pay, it's just the banking one that gives issue when I want to put an amount in the field.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

EdEddnEddy posted:

When in the world did they change the text input cursor from showing up above your finger to easily place it (ala WP7+) to the new lovely method of right below where you can't see under your finger (ala poo poo Android)?

Why in the hell would they go to a inferior method since it makes you have to tap around until you actually get to the space you were shooting for, vs the old method that had it easily snap to text, and being above your finger you could actually see wtf you cursor is doing.

WTF is with this regressing tech BS that keeps happening to this fine OS. Dammit! :psyduck:

yeah, its almost like belfiore is only good at making presentations and not running a phone division

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

EdEddnEddy posted:

Once you tap + hold and the circle appears, lift your finger then tap and drag the circle around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So is there anything in the store worth looking at as far as Youtube apps go? Or are they all just a dumb IE repackage that takes you to youtube.com?

IE plays youtube well enough, but I've been kind of spoiled by the Google Youtube app on my OG iPad.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

So is there anything in the store worth looking at as far as Youtube apps go? Or are they all just a dumb IE repackage that takes you to youtube.com?

IE plays youtube well enough, but I've been kind of spoiled by the Google Youtube app on my OG iPad.

Metrotube is pretty good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

Metrotube is pretty good.

Oh wow, this is the bee's knees. Thanks!

Looking for a replacement for my OG iPad and was thinking about a Windows RT tab and the lack of a good youtube thing was kind of holding me back. Looks like this may put me over the edge :)

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Martytoof posted:

Looking for a replacement for my OG iPad and was thinking about a Windows RT tab and the lack of a good youtube thing was kind of holding me back. Looks like this may put me over the edge :)

Keep in mind not all windows phone apps are rt apps, and vice versa.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

For windows 8/rt, I would go with Hyper.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I don't think there's any reason at all to go for RT over a full version. I don't think ARM/RT has any better battery life or is any cheaper than similar full Windows 8 tablets.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I haven't actually picked out the target device yet. There are a lot of Dell Venue 8 Pro refurbs on eBay for about two hundred so I might just take a gamble on that and get a non-RT device.

Only reason I said RT was because I don't really plan to do much on it but run Youtube and check my email and didn't realize you could get cheap-ish non-RT devices :)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
^^^^ I'd do everything I can to get an x86 tablet, just to be sure you don't miss some functionality later on. For example my sister in law was perfectly happy with a Surface RT. She sold her laptop and was loving life. Then she bought a fitbit and now she can't sync it. :downs: Your future needs may change, x86 is safest and you don't give up anything. Unless you really really want a form factor that comes only in RT. Just be sure to get a baytrail at least.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I was initially unhappy about this as well, but I've come to think it's actually better. Before you had to tap and hold and wait for it to appear, then you'd drag it to where you like. Except for me at least it would shift a little every time I lifted my finger. So in theory it was great, not so much in practice since I had to reposition it regularly. Always with another tap/hold/wait. And some texts boxes in websites would move the page around while you were dragging your finger, making it very difficult to edit your text (posting for example). Now here's how it works:

*Tap once on a word to select it.
*Tap a second time and the cursor will appear at the beginning or end of a word depending on which side of the word you tapped.
*Now drag to final destination sideways.

This to me seems much faster overall, and more reliable. For example to corect <- that I'd doubletap the word then drag to where I'd place the second r. If you want to position in blank spaces you can still do that of course just by tapping, but it will hug the word closest to it (which I like). Once the logic/mechanic of it is explained people seem to agree it's better. Of course discovering the logic is half the battle.

This is also something I use all the time, I'm not sure if it's new in 8.1 or not. Tap a word then keep hitting the shift key. It will cycle between capitalizing the first letter, going all caps, or dropping all to lowercase. I use that almost every time I text.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I only have a couple of charges as data, but it seems to me like the battery performance has gone back to being like pre-8.1 pretty much, haven't seen any of the slightly faster drain I had with the initial 8.1 release.