Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MassRafTer posted:

Austin wasn't planned to be THE GUY in 96, but he was in the second half of 97 and was being kept really really strong because of it. Sometimes the long term plan works like with Hogan/Savage, sometimes it doesn't like Hogan/Warrior, and sometimes all the pieces are there long term like with Sting, they just need to be arranged in the right positions. Then at the end you kick the board over because chess is stupid.

But I don't get it. Which piece in chess' only purpose is to be double crossed? Or did this analogy fall apart like a chinese motorcycle? Chess might be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The game of human chess

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

That article mentioned the possibility of Sting's team before Piper's team became a thing.

I wonder who they had in mind to be on his team

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

21 Hoot Salute posted:

That article mentioned the possibility of Sting's team before Piper's team became a thing.

I wonder who they had in mind to be on his team

I'd guess Savage and DDP with someone else and doing the Savage turn a month later but I can't think of anyone for that final spot other than maybe Giant. That would mean Giant wouldn't be on team WCW though, although he hadn't become Lex Luger's best friend yet so it might work.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cromulent posted:

I loved Piper as a kid but I think everything he's done in the last 20 years has been horrible and cringeworthy. That TNA/Russo "shoot" where he accused him of killing Owen, but then throwing in his stock lines from 1985 ("Just when you've got the answers, I change the questions"). Terrible stuff.

His podcast is pretty funny. And sometimes his twitter does weird poo poo.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I don't think it was previously reported, but it appears Lee Marshall died of esophageal cancer

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChampRamp posted:

I don't think it was previously reported, but it appears Lee Marshall died of esophageal cancer
Meltz said it in the obit. He was a heavy smoker.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Meltz said it in the obit. He was a heavy smoker.

I knew it said that he was a heavy smoker, but I'm 99% sure he didn't give a cause of death.

E: My mistake

ChampRamp fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Last week's Observer posted:

Marshall’s death was attributed to cancer of the esophagus. He was 67. Marshall was well known as a heavy smoker.

This week we learned about his career as King News on an LA rap station.

1990 article posted:

On a recent morning, King News reported how the "gangbang b.s." was behind a shooting during a graduation party in Norwalk in which one youth was killed and nine wounded. "Oh, yeah, you gang bangers sure know how to party," he said sarcastically...

He is featured on the new anti-violence anthem by the West Coast Rap All-Stars, "We're All in the Same Gang..."

"because I came from the streets. I split my time between L.A. and Brooklyn when I was growing up. And I had some affilation with a group of youths when I was younger, although we did not go around committing crimes. It was mostly territorial sorts of things, kind of 'West Side Story' stuff."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJD1oDKKMdM

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If you want to hear a little bit about how Bischoff ran things in WCW, listen to Part 2 of Austin's interview with Eric. Eric credits Turner wanting Thunder as the time he said "We're finished." I find that hard to believe.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Daniel Bryan posted:

If you want to hear a little bit about how Bischoff ran things in WCW, listen to Part 2 of Austin's interview with Eric. Eric credits Turner wanting Thunder as the time he said "We're finished." I find that hard to believe.

Bischoff is pretty notoriously full of bullshit on just about anything he talks about ever.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Bischoff's entire post-WWE existence has been pulling whatever he can out of his rear end to justify why it wasn't his fault WCW went down in flames. Problem being, it was, even more so than Russo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought Bischoff always said Thunder was a bad idea for the sensible reasons that you're paying talent you already can't afford even more to do another TV show and overexposing your stars. He also claims it made their balance sheet look even worse because Turner wouldn't pay for the production.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Overexposing talent? Like running Hulk Hogan well past his sell-by date? Doing Piper/Hogan so many times you can't even keep the matches straight?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

Overexposing talent? Like running Hulk Hogan well past his sell-by date? Doing Piper/Hogan so many times you can't even keep the matches straight?

Listen Eric Bischoff has a deep, deep respect for the business and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight, witness the fall out from the Great American Bash 97! Did anyone have elevated liver enzymes? Will DDP seek his revenge? What will happen with Piper and Ric Flair? Will Sting come back from his home planet? Find out tonight!

Episode 1 features:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter MOTY 1997: MORTIS VS GLACIER
Malenko vs Chavo
La Parka vs Super Calo
Syxx vs Rey for the CW title
Ultimo Dragon vs Chris Jericho

PLUS THE NITRO DEBUT OF VICIOUS AND DELICIOUS AND SO MUCH MORE!

Episode 2 features:

Public Enemy vs La Parka and Damien 666
Alex Wright vs Chris Jericho
Steiners vs Harlem Heat
Hector Garza vs Villano IV
Chavo challenges for the CW title
Pro Wrestling Torch MOTY 1997: MONGO VS KONNAN
Glacier and Ernest Miller vs High Voltage

and your main event

DDP VS SCOTT HALL!

PLUS SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tune in at 8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 for Cowboy Who? and maybe stuff after?

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Q_res posted:

Bischoff's entire post-WWE existence has been pulling whatever he can out of his rear end to justify why it wasn't his fault WCW went down in flames. Problem being, it was, even more so than Russo.

Not according to the poll.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
By the end of the second show tonight I could kind of see why some folks were saying the storylines felt stale at this point, especially knowing how long they go on. Then I remembered how things freshen up next week and I am excited again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mongo doesn't suck as much as I remember him sucking. His finisher is a tombstone piledriver which is always cool.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Mongo doesn't suck as much as I remember him sucking. His finisher is a tombstone piledriver which is always cool.

Nah he's still pretty lovely. He's earnest though and trying very hard.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As long as he or Deborah don't talk, Mongo is pretty tolerable.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Giving a tombstone piledriver to someone as clumsy and inexperienced as Mongo doesn't strike me as having been the best of ideas.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fatherdog posted:

Giving a tombstone piledriver to someone as clumsy and inexperienced as Mongo doesn't strike me as having been the best of ideas.

This is the same company that made him an announcer. Best of ideas are not something they believed in.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fatherdog posted:

No you see it's a joke because he never got to spike the ball because he was a defensive tackle

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Vince Russo did a Q&A with the usual bullshit, but it features WCW, so if you want a good laugh: http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/thank-enjoy/

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

quote:

14. Who actually came up with the idea for David Arquette to win the World Title?

[Response here]Tony Schivone.

LMAO

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Wow, they didn't take out any of the placeholders haha. I love the "Personal Thank You"

Edit: I love Vince Russo

"While all the shows were bounced off Vince for final approval, Vince never changed what Ed and I wrote. He just “tweaked” some things within the segment. If Vince is “the filter”, than how do you explain where ratings are today, compared to when Ed and I were writing the show?" Yeah and what about WCW's ratings Russo? hahah

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

quote:

72. Do you read the dirt sheets? If so, any favorites?

Honestly? When I’m bored I’ll pop on. I like “wrestlezone” because to me, it is just the easiest to raed. I’m a visual guy as you can see by my website. I like pictures.

That says a lot.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how did someone this illiterate edit a magazine

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

epitasis posted:

how did someone this illiterate edit a magazine

he looked at the pictures.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm guessing by the domain name that Russo was the one that came up with the phrase "pyro and ballyhoo" which is actually still being used in Raw scripts to this day.

Does he still have Rihanna slideshows on his site? And also the "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" message when you try to leave.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 14, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

quote:

I regret not standing up for myself more. I regret keeping my mouth shut and taking every barb and criticism that was thrown my way. I regret allowing myself to be the whipping boy for everything. But as I said earlier—on many occassions I have chosen to eat ****, because there was/is a higher power that I have to answer to.

Yes, poor humble, quiet, Vince Russo. Always known for keeping his mouth shut!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

79. Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to pro wrestling?

YES—naking referees look STUPID. I think that is ridiculous in 2014. There is NO EXCUSE for it—ZERO. I also hate when storylines, angles, characters, aren’t followed theough with. Another huge pet peeve of mine is when characters don’t stay true to THEMSELVES–meaning atht will do things that in retrospect their characters would never do. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

...so the original Snitsky character ("It wasn't my fault!") was modeled after Russo, or the other way around?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey you weren't there when this interview took place. You have to understand

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

oldpainless posted:

"Bro I HAD to answer that way. I HAD to rbo!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Bro, it was the politics, quite frankly, and I had nothing to do with that interview.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
3/17/10 Observer fun

quote:

Piper's interview largely made no sense as usual, first knocking Howard Stern (don't know if Stern said something about Piper on 3/10 when Hogan & Rodman were on his show), then got mad at the WWF, mentioning them by name but not Jim Ross by name. During the Hart-Smith match the previous week, Ross was knocking WCW calling them the seniors tour, the over-40 promotion and mentioned that he didn't believe there were any wrestlers in the WWF with one hip. Piper called the WWF liars saying that when he was there last year and beat Goldust, that he only had one hip then. He then ripped on his critics, and boy were there many, for knocking his friends saying he'd never turn his back on his friends and be a fair-weather friend because people said bad things about them (which was ironic since the whole idea of the interview segment was for him to eventually drop them from the match). Piper also said that the WWF was right about being no one hip wrestlers in the WWF, saying that there isn't one hip wrestler in the entire WWF and that's why everyone watches WCW pay-per-views and not WWF's (ironically, the two sides are still pretty much equal on PPV, it's Monday Night TV ratings where WCW has the big edge).

quote:

Disco Inferno (Glen Gilbertti) was fired on 3/4 when he refused to do a program which would have ended with him putting over Jacquelyn in the single match at Uncensored. The vast majority of the wrestlers were totally in support of Disco on that one and felt that putting over a woman in a singles match was a career killer.

quote:

Randy Anderson, who along with Arn Anderson (no relation although the two have been friends going back to their high school days more than 20 years ago) are both from Rome, GA originally, was given the key to the city and the Mayor called him Pee Wee Hermann instead of Anderson.

quote:

At the American Film Market '97 which is going on this week, only two movies with wrestlers were screened. "Bad Pack," a Magnificent Seven knockoff, stars Roddy Piper along with bodybuilder Ralf Moeller and is said to be no good (shocker, huh?). The other was Hogan's "Santa with Muscles," whose first screening attracted all of seven people and whose second screening attracted zero.

quote:

Ted Turner wasn't at the 3/3 Nitro in Atlanta because 1) An office assistant died and he was attending her funeral; 2) He was out of town on business and canceled at the last minute; or 3) He didn't want to do it and sent Harvey Schiller in his place. They are keeping the possibilities of doing something with Turner alive in the storyline.

quote:

Latest Jerry McDevitt quotes on Mark Madden. McDevitt said that Madden is to journalism what Heidi Fleiss is to dating and said, "What does it have to do with journalism when you are deliberately lying" in regard to Madden using the Pennsylvania reports shield law to protect his sources in the WWF lawsuit against WCW.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

oatgan posted:

79. Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to pro wrestling?

YES—naking referees look STUPID. I think that is ridiculous in 2014. There is NO EXCUSE for it—ZERO. I also hate when storylines, angles, characters, aren’t followed theough with. Another huge pet peeve of mine is when characters don’t stay true to THEMSELVES–meaning atht will do things that in retrospect their characters would never do. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Vince Russo hates himself so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
poo poo, I forgot the best WCW quote in that Observer came from a fan letter.

quote:

A few weeks ago on an episode of WCW World Wide, my deepest suspicions were finally confirmed. Tony Schiavone has been forced to work as a circus ringmaster for so long, babysitting Virgil and all, that his brains have finally turned to pudding.

During a Dean Malenko mach, Tony started reminiscing about the days when Boris Malenko managed The Masked Superstar in Jim Crockett Promotions. He talked about when Malenko would light up a cigar and stick it in someone's eye (Mighty Igor angle in 1976). I thought it was great. Schiavone is finally putting over a current wrestler and at the same time paying tribute to a legend of the past. But then things fell completely apart.

Bobby Heenan mentioned that he also managed The Masked Superstar, and then said that Dean Malenko was a great wrestler because he was trained by two wrestling legends, Boris Malenko and Karl Gotch.

Well, Tony completely lost it. He called Heenan an idiot and said, "Yeah, maybe he was trained by the ghost of Karl Gotch. He's been dead since 1905. He wasn't trained by Karl Gotch. You're a moron. Where'd you get that one from? The internet? Those people are idiots, too. They just make that stuff up. Karl Gotch. Jeez."

Schiavone actually thought Karl Gotch was the wrestler who held the world title at the start of the century. He also thinks a shooting star press is called a Northern Lights press and thinks it was Mike Tenay who came up with the term enzuigiri.

I used to think Schiavone was a pretty decent announcer, but now he's just an embarrassment. I realize things get hectic in a company where the booking committee is staffed with paranoid sociopaths and the boss is a cross between John Davidson and Paulie Shore, but that's no excuse to not take enough pride in your profession that you come across as a complete bonehead to a national audience.

Maybe when they add the new show on TBS and Tony and Dusty get two more hours of announcing tacked onto their schedule, they can fight about how stupid it was to call Rhodes' finisher the bionic elbow. Maybe some day the two of them would figure out that fat tub of lard would have never gotten over half as much had Gordon Solie not spent hour after hour telling the marks how great he was instead of spending the entire broadcast arguing with a has-been clown about his wife's cooking. I never thought I'd miss David Crockett as an announcer, but I do.

Michael Lozier

Charlotte, North Carolina