Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If comic book time bothered me at all, the last couple of issues of Mighty Avengers would've given me an aneurysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

twistedmentat posted:

I've been reading the Cable and Hope adventures, but holy gently caress Bishop. I hate how he's a "Don't worry guys, all the horrible poo poo i'm doing has a really good reason, but i'm not going to tell you because that would make you try to stop me, but trust me when I say I need to kill this baby and most of the population of the planet" guy.

Hope and Cable as a father/daughter team is really great though.

At least with the killing most of the population thing, he figured it wouldn't matter because once he killed Hope that future would be undone and those people would never get killed.

Morality can get weird with time travel- you're doing evil things to achieve (in his mind) a good outcome, but part of that good outcome is those evil things never happening.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention how laughably terrible Origin II's ending is.

The series is about Wolverine being all savage in the wilderness. A group is hired to track him down, which includes Victor Creed and his scar-faced companion Clara, who is able to reason with Victor and keep him in check. Clara feels bad for Logan and catches feelings for him, which naturally makes Victor mad. The three of them end up on the run from Nathaniel Essex and his men, as Essex wants to experiment on Logan. Eventually, it's revealed that Clara is not Victor's girlfriend, but his sister. Victor secretly snitches on where they're hiding so that Essex can take Logan out of the equation. Instead, Logan kills a bunch of Essex's soldiers while accidentally stabbing Clara. Victor shows up and they decide to go gently caress up Essex out of revenge. Then Clara gets up once they're gone.

Logan claws up Essex and throws him out a window just after finding out that Victor snitched. Clara pops in to point out that she's alive and all the Creed children have healing factors. Logan snaps at Victor and drowns him in a vat of some potion Essex made that cancels out healing factors. Victor is dead and Clara bitches Logan out for being a monster.

Months later, Clara is confronted by someone she identifies as a complete sadist and tells him that Victor is dead. The man in question is a crazy-jacked and animal-like Sabretooth (compared to Victor, who was just a tall dude with fangs), who is all mad that Victor -- the victim of his annual birthday beatings -- died without his permission. Now he's going to transfer that tradition to the man who killed his little brother.

Yes, Origin II did the loving Landfill from Beerfest plot device. With a straight face!

Art was nice, at least.

Hey don't you be mocking Beerfest and the Landfill move. It's fantastic when done with a straight face*!

*= See Mobile Suit Gundam 00, where they open the second season with a full on Landfil, replacing one of the deceased characters with his never before mentioned twin brother.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or Smallville pulling it with Jimmy Olsen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sefer posted:

At least with the killing most of the population thing, he figured it wouldn't matter because once he killed Hope that future would be undone and those people would never get killed.

Morality can get weird with time travel- you're doing evil things to achieve (in his mind) a good outcome, but part of that good outcome is those evil things never happening.

True, but its really annoying how through all of Messiah Complex Bishop is trying to kill baby hope and just keeps trying to explain his actions by saying "She's going to destroy everything!".

I'm into X-force now where they go to Cables time and meet Deadpool who's even crazier than normal.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Did anyone read No More Humans? I quite enjoyed it. It was fun.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Good news: Wood is off X-Men after #17.

Bad news: He's being replaced by loving Marc Guggenheim UGGGGGGGGH.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Just put that book out of its misery. Please, Marvel.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Like they don't have anyone else they can call up? Carey just did an OGN for them. Liu? Some new up and coming writer? Anyone!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

krakagar posted:

Did anyone read No More Humans? I quite enjoyed it. It was fun.

I liked it, but I am sick unto death of Beast As Moral Compass when he's pretty clearly abandoned any claim to such by, you know, breaking time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Suben posted:

Like they don't have anyone else they can call up? Carey just did an OGN for them. Liu? Some new up and coming writer? Anyone!

New and upcoming writer? Well you get either Humphries, Bunn or Hopeless then :getin:

And despite having a run of bad issues I think the concept of an all girl X-Men team is something they should keep around on principle.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If only Marvel had some talented and comparatively underworked female writers already on-staff that they could give the all-female X-book to.

Oh, they have two of them? Wait what

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Suben posted:

Bad news: He's being replaced by loving Marc Guggenheim UGGGGGGGGH.

Maybe we will get the Guggenheim that writes Arrow.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I love Mike Carey so I bought that OGN and it was pretty cool, I haven't read a main X-Book since he left, sticking to side titles, but it was nice to get my one Cannonball line.

I am seriously sick of Salvador Larocca, though, what a waste of the larger format.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Suben posted:

Is that good news because it got terrible or because of the stuff that came out about him?
I stopped reading after the Battle For The Atom, for no good reason, but I liked it up to that point. Especially the issue with Jubilee and Wolverine hanging out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 10, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've liked Adjectiveless, probably more than Uncanny, but I think I'm the only one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

I've liked Adjectiveless, probably more than Uncanny, but I think I'm the only one.

I like it too, but I wish they'd have some focus. A lot of the books seem to be like that; between events they are focusless. Same thing with Avengers.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I liked the No More Humans OGN. I have not been a big fan of Bendis's run at all (nor Wood's), so it felt like "finally, a real X-Men story again!"

Though, yeah, Beast is such a sanctimonious prick that it's just absurd. I'm willing to entertain that he's specifically being written like that, i.e., the audience is supposed to think he's a prick.

And it's getting a bit old having the Phoenix pop its head up every couple months or so. Each appearance is written like its such a huge deal, but its totally not because it happens constantly now. Clearly, everyone (characters and creators alike) are obsessed with the real Jean, so they should just bring her back already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good money says Bendis ends his X-Men run with the return of the real Jean Grey.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I liked the No More Humans OGN. I have not been a big fan of Bendis's run at all (nor Wood's), so it felt like "finally, a real X-Men story again!"

Though, yeah, Beast is such a sanctimonious prick that it's just absurd. I'm willing to entertain that he's specifically being written like that, i.e., the audience is supposed to think he's a prick.

And it's getting a bit old having the Phoenix pop its head up every couple months or so. Each appearance is written like its such a huge deal, but its totally not because it happens constantly now. Clearly, everyone (characters and creators alike) are obsessed with the real Jean, so they should just bring her back already.

I think the worst thing about it to me is that it felt like a total deus ex machina. It feels like Carey wrote himself into a corner and tacked the Phoenix to the end of the story to return things to the status quo.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I liked it, but I am sick unto death of Beast As Moral Compass when he's pretty clearly abandoned any claim to such by, you know, breaking time.

Also straight up willing to kill entire planets as one of the Illuminati, don't forget!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Good money says Bendis ends his X-Men run with the return of the real Jean Grey.
Nah I'm willing to bet it ends in six or ten years from now exactly like his Avengers run did.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

OK Octopus posted:

Also straight up willing to kill entire planets as one of the Illuminati, don't forget!

Yeah, I was trying to stick with the events happening in a single 'franchise,' so to speak, which is why I didn't mention his turn in Secret Avengers or his current New Avengers appearances... but even if there were any real grounds for Beast to be The Moral One in the X-Books (there aren't), they get neatly destroyed by his appearances elsewhere.

Not exactly thrilled with Phoenix Ex Machina, either, but Moral Compass Beast just irks me with all his sanctimony.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Marc Guggenheim on X-Men? That's the "fan-favorite X-Men and former Amazing Spider-Man writer" Mike Marts was teasing? gently caress outta here, man.

Considering what a clusterfuck Marts's last tenure was outside of Astonishing and New (which he inherited from Mark Powers), I fully expect all the non-Bendis X-books to become editorially mandated boring crap by the end of the year.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rhyno posted:

I'd almost say his run would be worth it if he did but I can't see it happening. From every interview his given over the year he seems to hate the character of OG Jean. I wouldn't be surprised if Young Jean stayed around given that's the version of the character he wants. Of course it's Bendis so his run ain't going to to end for another 5/6 years or so.

Also I finally read No More Humans and it was so good. The ending didn't bother me at all, somebody told Carey to do a mini event but have things back to where they were when he was finished so he did. Really wish he'd come back and do another team book.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure the whole reason he used the time poo poo in the first place is so he could have an easy way to put all his toys back in the box at the end.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Beast is explicitly a sanctimonious prick, I don't know how anyone could misconstrue it. The Watcher showed up just recently with the specific purpose of telling him that. He's part of the Illuminati, for God's sake.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am pretty sure the whole reason he used the time poo poo in the first place is so he could have an easy way to put all his toys back in the box at the end.

Nah, he did time poo poo because the original five X-Men are a great group of teen heroes. Spider-Man has always been pretty youthful even as an adult, but the core X-Men grew up way too fast.

Maybe they will go back at some point, but I wouldn't mind if they stuck around, and the time travel stuff became a footnote.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

I'd almost say his run would be worth it if he did but I can't see it happening. From every interview his given over the year he seems to hate the character of OG Jean. I wouldn't be surprised if Young Jean stayed around given that's the version of the character he wants. Of course it's Bendis so his run ain't going to to end for another 5/6 years or so.

Also I finally read No More Humans and it was so good. The ending didn't bother me at all, somebody told Carey to do a mini event but have things back to where they were when he was finished so he did. Really wish he'd come back and do another team book.

He hated the Wasp too but he went out of his way to bring her back right at the end of his run.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

He hated the Wasp too but he went out of his way to bring her back right at the end of his run.

Yeah, but he had been the one to take her off the board; that can't be said for Jean Grey.

Bendis does seem, for all his faults, to try and put all the toys back in the toybox in roughly the same condition as he got them out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

krakagar posted:

I came here to talk about how great Cyclops was, how much fun it was to read and how touching and awkward Scott and Corsair's relationship is and how Rucka has pretty much nailed it, plus it was a whole bunch a fun and alla y'all are just complaining about eye-beam head buts and skunk girl fidelity and Jeegus priorities people this was a drat fine and drat fun X-book a++ would buy again.

Finally got around reading this and oh my gosh it was such a fun read. That last page made me smile so much.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that good news because it got terrible or because of the stuff that came out about him?
I stopped reading after the Battle For The Atom, for no good reason, but I liked it up to that point. Especially the issue with Jubilee and Wolverine hanging out.

Why not both? But in terms of pure creative, because the book took a giant nosedive in quality as soon as BotA started.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Show us that trick with the paper clip again Magneto! :neckbeard:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, but he had been the one to take her off the board; that can't be said for Jean Grey.

Bendis does seem, for all his faults, to try and put all the toys back in the toybox in roughly the same condition as he got them out.

Heaven forbid that the next creative team might have to make a convincing plot before they set up their own status quo.

I mean, he ended his Daredevil run with Matt Murdock in loving jail. Yet he basically made his entire Avengers run absolutely meaningless by the time he was finished.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Rhyno posted:

Maybe he knew that Remender wanted to use her and brought her back because of that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Heaven forbid that the next creative team might have to make a convincing plot before they set up their own status quo.

I mean, he ended his Daredevil run with Matt Murdock in loving jail. Yet he basically made his entire Avengers run absolutely meaningless by the time he was finished.
I actually wish Marvel or DC would do a DC Challenge-style book in modern times, but I realize that's incredibly wishful thinking given modern production times.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I actually wish Marvel or DC would do a DC Challenge-style book in modern times, but I realize that's incredibly wishful thinking given modern production times.

Wasn't Countdown like that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Wasn't Countdown like that?

Not intentionally...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Uh wait, was Raze impersonating Laura, who then stabbed Triage, but then turned back into Laura, claimed she was being controlled, then turned into Scott, and Young Hank punched him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Uh wait, was Raze impersonating Laura, who then stabbed Triage, but then turned back into Laura, claimed she was being controlled, then turned into Scott, and Young Hank punched him?

That is exactly how I took it.

• Locked thread