Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

StormDrain posted:

I've been looking for the 'right' set for my truck in the background as long as I've owned it. I know that once I get them though, I'll have the same cowardly reaction to drilling. I'm even afraid to ruin the headliner that's in 'such great shape'.

edit: ok that's a lie, I know which ones I want I just am too cheap to buy all 5 knowing I'm afraid to drill them and I may never install. They're $20 each! Truck Lite 1319A.

These were a 5 pack I got on clearance for $2.50. They're cheap lights, but then again there's not a lot to a light (unless it's a LED setup).

E: I figured I'd seal them up with silicone, too. Somehow, I don't think the closed foam 'gasket' they include is watertight.

A quick and dirty mockup. Also pictured: the stupid peeling Ford emblem. I see ones that are 20+ years old all day that look perfect. My 8 year old one? Peeling like crazy. Thinking about painting it black once it finishes peeling.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Not all today, but over the last 3 or 4 evenings after getting the landrover out of the garage I have rebuilt my trailer.
Painted it, new plywood throughout, built a lid out of leftover ply (as otherwise my tarp cover sags with the rain puddles and tears), stripped and rebuilt one hub (so far) and finally built a tailgate. I bought the tailgate hinges in 2009 when I last replaced the wood according to the receipt that was still with them!

The hubs are wierd - there is no outer cover/seal so you can actually see the roller bearings externally looking round the hub nut and hence they are full of dirt rather than nice grease :(

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

QuarkMartial posted:

Also pictured: the stupid peeling Ford emblem.

I owned a '08 Focus and mine did the same thing, always pissed me off.

My Abarth diffuser came in for my 500T so I went to the car wash to clean everything up before mounting it, on my way back home my fiance spotted our neighbor's car that had been stolen last Thursday so we turned around and confirmed it was his. Long story short he is once again the proud owner of his car so there's my good deed for the day I suppose. After all that fun I went and put my new diffuser on the car, it looks much better now;

You can kinda spy the ST Suspensions sway bar I had put on a couple weeks ago. Next stop; springs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

New wheels :toot:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Finished polishing my headlights today. They look pretty drat good now.

The Mothers kit that's on sale at autozone right now does a great job if you spend enough time with it.

Not perfect by any means but its a huge improvement. They looked really crummy before.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Took it in for a real alignment. I was off by about 3/32 in the rear, the caster was 3 degrees high on both sides, but I got pretty damned close with a tape measure and a Fasttrax.

Then, another 40 miles of driving, just to see what happened. Nothing, really. So, a quick dust off, and back to the shop. Tomorrow, overdrive!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tomarse posted:

The hubs are wierd - there is no outer cover/seal so you can actually see the roller bearings externally looking round the hub nut and hence they are full of dirt rather than nice grease :(

Isn't there usually a steel dustcap that presses in over the nut?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah there definitely needs to be a dustcap. Otherwise you're going to be doing that job again in 500 miles when a wheel falls off.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Today I added some ~luxury~, in the form of an auto-dimming rear view mirror :whatup:

Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to retrofit cruise control...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Today I added some ~luxury~, in the form of an auto-dimming rear view mirror :whatup:

As far as ~luxury~ goes, seriously one of the best automotive inventions in the past couple decades, along with rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlights.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I prefer to just flip my mirror to night-mode or whatever. Some auto-dimming mirrors take loving forever and do a poo poo job.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Guinness posted:

As far as ~luxury~ goes, seriously one of the best automotive inventions in the past couple decades, along with rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlights.

But the other two you listed are poo poo inventions...?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Look how wrong you are.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Look how wrong you are.

Rain sensing wipers are good but you can blame automatic headlights for all the loving retards out there driving around with no lights on at night.

If you need auto-headlights then I really feel sorry for you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My automatic headlights come on at night and in the rain...?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Guinness posted:

My automatic headlights come on at night and in the rain...?

Anecdote, evidence.

Only about half of them turn on all the lights, though. The other half just turn on dimmed drls, or don't turn on the tail lights. And they're teaching a generation to expect cars to do everything automatically.

A mysterious, third half of them don't work properly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

Rain-sensing wipers are awesome for drizzle, where the intermittent program is just slightly too fast. Their usefulness in other situations depends a lot on the calibration, though.

As for auto headlights, I really don't get the idea. Then again, I just have my headlights on all the time anyway. My car forces them on whenever the engine is running, I think this was mandated for all cars sold in Denmark for a while.

Chinatown posted:

I prefer to just flip my mirror to night-mode or whatever. Some auto-dimming mirrors take loving forever and do a poo poo job.

Mine takes 4-5 seconds from when I cover the forward-facing sensor before it darkens. It seems to work perfectly fine at night against dumbasses with their highbeams on.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chinatown posted:

I've installed a newer Toyota one in the Hyundai and it dims down in under 2 seconds, about the same as the oem one in my Subaru.

N-thing how awesome they are, also auto lights are nice to have and they fix an issue as there were idiots running around with the lights off before auto lights were a thing. Unfortunately haven't experienced auto wipers yet.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Today was overdrive day. Whee. Took about 4 hours for the main install, with 1.5 hours of that popping the thing in and out to massage the tunnel a bit to make it fit without having to change the driveline angle. Tomorrow, I'll wire it up and try it out.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Finished polishing my headlights today. They look pretty drat good now.

The Mothers kit that's on sale at autozone right now does a great job if you spend enough time with it.

Not perfect by any means but its a huge improvement. They looked really crummy before.

Man sometimes I regret buying my former DTS over a GP GXP. That thing was stupid fast and the exhaust note was intoxicating. Torque steered on demand but what a entertaining W-Body. The L32 is still fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdyXsaJmNM

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

Isn't there usually a steel dustcap that presses in over the nut?

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah there definitely needs to be a dustcap. Otherwise you're going to be doing that job again in 500 miles when a wheel falls off.

There isn't and never has been for the last 20 years of this trailers life :cry: (It is was my dads before I stole it borrowed it indefinitely). Its never been more than 10-20 miles in a trip.

edit - wow - there are loads of hub dust caps on ebay of all sorts of O/D's. sorted! Hopefully i can find one of the right size! http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/hub-dust-cap

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 15, 2014

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I only seem to post in this thread when I say goodbye to vehicles. I said goodbye again a couple weeks ago. :smith:

At least this one didn't get rolled over on a highway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why would you do that? What did it ever do to you???

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Rhyno posted:

Why would you do that? What did it ever do to you???

I'm buying a house! I don't have money to feed that car the head gaskets, Powermaster brake cylinders, weatherstripping around the doors, fuel lines, headers, and rear main seals it needed! :smith:

In the 'small world' file, I bought that car on eBay a long long time ago. I sold it on Craigslist back to the guy I bought it from!

doogle
May 24, 2003

Started organizing my garage better so I can fit a bike in there with 2 cars. Mounted my track day/autox bumper on the wall along with my spare wheels, just need to build a shelf along the back to put all my parts on and I should be good.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Front indicator stopped working, went to change the bulb, reached for the socket and....oh. Not the bulb.

I really don't know how it worked for so long like this.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

New uni joints in the Landcruiser. Old ones were starting to go Notchy.

Bloody filthy job too

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

blk posted:

Front indicator stopped working, went to change the bulb, reached for the socket and....oh. Not the bulb.

I really don't know how it worked for so long like this.

The best part is you just know there's a lot more rodent damage waiting to burn the car to the ground be discovered.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

The best part is you just know there's a lot more rodent damage waiting to burn the car to the ground be discovered.

It might be hard to beat the time I found a dead squirrel in the intake of my W203. It was still intact; I don't know how it fit through the fascia.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We found a newborn squirrel (alive) in the air filter housing of the Avalon recently. :ohdear:

... and a bunch of wiring damage from what I assume to be its parents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

We found a newborn squirrel (alive) in the air filter housing of the Avalon recently. :ohdear:

... and a bunch of wiring damage from what I assume to be its parents.

I hope you balanced the equation by chewing the squirrel in half.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Clocked up 30 miles or so in the landy. Found that my rear outer hub seals had started to leak a bit again :cry: despite being all new, freshly gasketted/sealed and having 2 coats of paint over them.

Realised that maybe the axle breather was blocked so unbolted it. As I did so there was a big hiss and it pretty much popped out. Couldn't free it up in the vice so I cut it in half and put it back on for now until my replacement arrives. Now to re-seal and paint both hubs again :(

the threads on the breather look pretty shagged too, and I bet they are some weird old English thread. The nut on the breather itself is neither AF or metric which doesn't bode well

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed a new catalytic converter. The front pipe and cat-back are both 3" pipes, but the cat was was 2" inlets and had 3" flanges and reducers welded on, and was done poorly it seems. It may have been a 400 cell?

New one is 3" in and out, 4" body, 100 cell. :getin:

The length difference ended up not being an issue as the old one was actually too long thanks to the reducers and had the rear flange welded on at the wrong angle which led to the cat-back sagging. after I chocked it up with some blocks of wood and bolted it all together, it now sits higher at the mid-muffler which is good, as it was a low point.

Trip report: its not much louder until about 4K RPM, at which point it sounds a lot more angrier. seems like it helps with flow a little bit, but not as much as I anticipated. The exhaust smell is more apparent now though, hopefully that goes away in time.

old vs new

Old:

New:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tomarse posted:

the threads on the breather look pretty shagged too, and I bet they are some weird old English thread. The nut on the breather itself is neither AF or metric which doesn't bode well

All the breathers on my land rovers are bsp . I switched to 6mm push fit pneumatic connectors and nylon airline .

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Colonel K posted:

All the breathers on my land rovers are bsp . I switched to 6mm push fit pneumatic connectors and nylon airline .

Cheers! I think I have some bsp taps somewhere :)

Are bsp to 6mm push fit adapters fairly standard? Will the kits sold for defenders also fit onto my old series 2/3 axles? If so I'll just extend them all.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tomarse posted:

Cheers! I think I have some bsp taps somewhere :)

Are bsp to 6mm push fit adapters fairly standard? Will the kits sold for defenders also fit onto my old series 2/3 axles? If so I'll just extend them all.

I think so, off the top of my head (pleas check) I think the thread is 1/8th bsp and I just went to my local Pirtek and ordered a handful of elbow 1/8 bsp to 6mm, a decent length of 6mm nylon hose and then a 4-1 6mm to 8 or 10mm and then ran the length of the larger stuff up the snorkel.

I've done a few swaps over on various vehicles, going for the clear nylon pipe can also be useful to see if there's anything inside, although obviously less so once caked in mud.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm buying a house! I don't have money to feed that car the head gaskets, Powermaster brake cylinders, weatherstripping around the doors, fuel lines, headers, and rear main seals it needed! :smith:

In the 'small world' file, I bought that car on eBay a long long time ago. I sold it on Craigslist back to the guy I bought it from!

Have you considered that maybe you just can't afford the house? :mad:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Replaced the sway bar end links on the Mazda5...again. That should buy me another six months before they start making noise again.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Cleaned it, got an alignment, and (most importantly) installed my new wheels and tires.

My car is happy now. The new wheels and tires feel great.

I did get dinged sometime in the past couple of months though. I've had this car for 3.5 years and this is the first dent it's gotten. My streak was bound to end at some point anyway.

smax fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Today I decided to check out the horrible suspension knock on the G8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvlACwaTNg

Went in fully expecting it to be the control arms (which is a known issue/TSB), and had already bought new ones. Decided to remove the sway bar end link and take a spin, and the knock was gone. Time to order new end links! The old one's ball joint was shot and had metal on metal contact when I was rotating it.

I absolutely love Holden for making pretty much every bolt on the suspension extremely easy to get to with plenty of room.