Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Stokes posted:

Side note: The Silverblack Spear is awesome.

I recently switched from a lightning throwing cleric man to a dark magic fog cougher and took up that spear as my go to dark weapon. Really liking it but holy poo poo it breaks so much faster then my previous weapon, that heide sword from the beginning. I barely get any killing done on my way through new blight town and the thing screams "Your weapon is about to break yo" as it just explodes instantly, terrible warning. Is it just a spear thing or do I just suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWQbcc1jFo

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So, no one knows about item find differences on items?

Very well, I will look into them now. Stay tuned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

Well thanks for getting my hopes up Zaphod

I sorry. :smith:

Tallgeese posted:

Nope, there's been some speculation but I haven't seen anything remotely definitive. It'd take a lot of samples to prove minor probability changes too, unless you can like data mine it or something. Let us know!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lol good

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching someone play DS 2 blind sounds like it could be fun but the vast majority of random streamers are terribly unfunny, so I've never looked for one.

Not a streamer, but the best blind LPer by far is Kay. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g/videos her DS1 blind playthrough is amazing as well, seems like she has the perfect mentality for these games. Thorough and reads everything.

She only posts one video a day though so it's gonna take a couple months to get through DS2 likely.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009

Voluspa posted:

where exactly is the save?

C:/Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Roaming/DarkSoulsII

its in a folder in there, named DARKSII0000.sl2 on mine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dark Souls 2 has the deepest lore.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was Earth all along!

:negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having to completely let go of both joysticks just to get the pursuer sword to hit where I want it to is really throwing me off. Especially since I can't not get staggered and have it stop. You have to time it perfectly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tallgeese posted:

I posted some vague ramblings a while back. I mucked around with cheat engine and couldn't find anything, but good luck! After getting well over 20 million souls trying to get durgo's hat if you manage to crack the secrets I will gladly abuse them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nuebot posted:

I posted some vague ramblings a while back. I mucked around with cheat engine and couldn't find anything, but good luck! After getting well over 20 million souls trying to get durgo's hat if you manage to crack the secrets I will gladly abuse them.

The real bonus to item find is confirmation bias! It was inside us all along!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Anyone got the link to the STR\FTH build mentioned earlier? It looks like search is down.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Now we know what Estus tastes like.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Jay Rust posted:

It was Earth all along!

:negative:

Transall Saga?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Belfry Gargoyles are my favorite thing in this game so far, with the way they played with my expectations perfectly. Having exactly the same thing happen that happened the first time I fought them in the previous game made me laugh. :allears:

Now that I've reached my first real dead end in Sinner's Rise, I assume I should head to the Heide Tower next? I think that was the only other way out of Majula that was open.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Regy Rusty posted:

The Belfry Gargoyles are my favorite thing in this game so far, with the way they played with my expectations perfectly. Having exactly the same thing happen that happened the first time I fought them in the previous game made me laugh. :allears:

Now that I've reached my first real dead end in Sinner's Rise, I assume I should head to the Heide Tower next? I think that was the only other way out of Majula that was open.

Sort of yeah. Heides ultimately also leads to the Bastille but you meet someone in Heides who can rotate the device that leads to Heides to open up Huntsmans' Copse.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching someone play DS 2 blind sounds like it could be fun but the vast majority of random streamers are terribly unfunny, so I've never looked for one.

Yeah, that's the standard twitch problem. The majority of streamers are terrible in nearly every aspect.

Daynab posted:

Not a streamer, but the best blind LPer by far is Kay. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g/videos her DS1 blind playthrough is amazing as well, seems like she has the perfect mentality for these games. Thorough and reads everything.

She only posts one video a day though so it's gonna take a couple months to get through DS2 likely.

I thought this one was all right. This is the one I mentioned that finished the game in one (long) sitting:
Stream cut out in the middle but these are the two parts
http://www.twitch.tv/sylux98/b/527780643
http://www.twitch.tv/sylux98/b/527930178

Technically part of a race, but there's nothing race like about it :)

He played demons, and did a similar blind race for ds1 to beat the game in one sitting.
Obviously no editing, and I don't know that I'd watch the entire thing straight, but there aren't too many times he gets egregiously stuck.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, you can head for Heide's. The main path through there will just loop back to the track you've taken, but there's a npc there that you'll need for a future path.

That said, you should have gotten an item after lost sinner that will open up a previously closed path from Majula.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

All the hats and the Prisoner's Tatters raise Item Discovery by the same amount, because they all call the exact same special effect. I cannot find the base of the stat or how much they raise it by (because Item Discovery's meaning has always been very hard to find), but it's not important.

Unlike Dark Souls 1, you are allowed to stack multiples of the same special effect. So, just use them all.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 14, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

There's another path that you're forgetting but yeah going through Heide will unlock another path which will ultimately unlock the last path through items.

e: Whoops forgot that the sinner path has that item as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kazil posted:

That said, you should have gotten an item after lost sinner that will open up a previously closed path from Majula.

Huh... I guess I'll have to review my inventory because I'm not really sure what that would be.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm considering a run-through without personally attacking or damaging any monsters. My character would be a tank with red eye ring and healing/etc spells, and I would summon phantoms to do the necessary offense.

Is this possible, or are there essential monsters where phantoms are not allowed? If you were summoned as a phantom/shade and the host was running this gimmick, would you be amused? Have fun with it? Or just hate him?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh... I guess I'll have to review my inventory because I'm not really sure what that would be.

If you're at a total loss

You should have picked up a Fragrant Branch of Yore. This will let you turn petrified NPCs back to life.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Has there been a patch I wasn't aware of, poison seems to be way less effective now, that and I seemed to remember needing 50 Rat Tails for Ratbros as apposed to 35.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I seemed to remember needing 50 Rat Tails for Ratbros as apposed to 35.

I'm pretty sure it was 35 for me immediately after release (PC).

Speaking of which, it's hilarious to go back and attack Ratbros once you know what you're doing. After around two hundred invasions on my main PvP character I went and took my new character and just waited around in the Grave of Saints for a while for Ratbros to summon me up. Four out of five of them did their best to dick me over by attacking with mobs or using the mobs as cover to run and heal. Zero out of five survived our encounters.

I don't think they're used to working for a kill.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Royal Rat Authority.

No shield.

:shepicide:

He splattered my face every time I tried (mainly because I couldn't kill the minions consistently) until I came back way later in the game after I had learned a few pyromancies. Then I beat him and his minions with two casts of chaos storm.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

All the hats and the Prisoner's Tatters raise Item Discovery by the same amount, because they all call the exact same special effect. I cannot find the base of the stat or how much they raise it by (because Item Discovery's meaning has always been very hard to find), but it's not important.

Unlike Dark Souls 1, you are allowed to stack multiples of the same special effect. So, just use them all.

This is cool and good to know. So can you stack Cloranthy and other stamina regen equipment/effects?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

aegof posted:

This is cool and good to know. So can you stack Cloranthy and other stamina regen equipment/effects?

You could always stack stamina regen and soul gain increases.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I believe two Blossom Kite Shields also stack, though you might not notice much because of the increased weight of two.

As an aside, the Barrel does not have the HP regeneration it claims to. Though that should be simple to fix.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goddamit I had just one mage left in Amana and then I get invaded and murdered. :suicide:

e: one of them had dropped something too.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
God-loving-dammit. Four times I sunbro for the Freja fight. First one the host dies almost instantly, the other three go off without a hitch. I can block most of her attacks, and the death-beam is easy to dodge. So I go for it myself. Only now does she pull out some bullshit insta-kill move, and I faceplant with a sixth of her health left :darksouls:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Cainer posted:

I recently switched from a lightning throwing cleric man to a dark magic fog cougher and took up that spear as my go to dark weapon. Really liking it but holy poo poo it breaks so much faster then my previous weapon, that heide sword from the beginning. I barely get any killing done on my way through new blight town and the thing screams "Your weapon is about to break yo" as it just explodes instantly, terrible warning. Is it just a spear thing or do I just suck?

Yes it's not the sturdiest weapon, but the 2hR2 combo wrecks most enemies in one go. It also has a pretty good crit multiplier. Also imbue it with Dark for it to be even stronger.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I have two more questions(sorry for the 21 questions but this game owns and it's massive). Is it obvious where to find a ring of life protection when it comes up, and what are the conditions for getting humanity restored by doing co op?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

StashAugustine posted:

Goddamit I had just one mage left in Amana and then I get invaded and murdered. :suicide:

e: one of them had dropped something too.

So after this I go "gently caress playing fair, I'm just gonna crossbow them all to death. Get invaded by the same guy right after I kill everyone, and then manage to knock him off a cliff. :feelsgood:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

MadJackMcJack posted:

God-loving-dammit. Four times I sunbro for the Freja fight. First one the host dies almost instantly, the other three go off without a hitch. I can block most of her attacks, and the death-beam is easy to dodge. So I go for it myself. Only now does she pull out some bullshit insta-kill move, and I faceplant with a sixth of her health left :darksouls:

When trying to get enough sun medals for the last reward, I tried sunbro'ing for the boss of aldia's keep.
I had one guy summon me literally 6 times in a row. Each of those times he got one shot by the dragon's fireball between 1-20 seconds into the fight. It was pretty funny, but I eventually decided to go somewhere else.

e: reminds me of trying to sunbro for capra demon in DS1. More than half the time host would be dead before I got through the fog door.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

and what are the conditions for getting humanity restored by doing co op?

If you're using the White Soapstone you'll need to assist the host in beating a boss, just like the first game. Using the small soapstone on the other hand, you just have to kill a few enemies and then the game says you fulfilled your duty and sends you home. It's seriously so easy it seems almost broken.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I have two more questions(sorry for the 21 questions but this game owns and it's massive). Is it obvious where to find a ring of life protection when it comes up, and what are the conditions for getting humanity restored by doing co op?

One of the vendors sells one I think. The soulsaving rings aren't worth it unless you are trying to do a low SM PvP charachter though so I wouldn't bother.
As for getting recharged you need to put down either the small or the large soapstone, hope someone summons you and then do your duty. For the large soapstone the duty is "Kill the Boss", for the small one you have to either collect a certain amount of souls (varies by area), kill the boss or spend a variable amount of time in the hosts world.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Domattee posted:

One of the vendors sells one I think. The soulsaving rings aren't worth it unless you are trying to do a low SM PvP charachter though so I wouldn't bother.
As for getting recharged you need to put down either the small or the large soapstone, hope someone summons you and then do your duty. For the large soapstone the duty is "Kill the Boss", for the small one you have to either collect a certain amount of souls (varies by area), kill the boss or spend a variable amount of time in the hosts world.

Rings of Life Protection have nothing to do with Soul Memory whatsoever. They're just a convenience thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

If you're using the White Soapstone you'll need to assist the host in beating a boss, just like the first game. Using the small soapstone on the other hand, you just have to kill a few enemies and then the game says you fulfilled your duty and sends you home. It's seriously so easy it seems almost broken.

I think small white soapstone is x amount of time and that time is reduced by the amount of souls you get while assisting. So if you are dicking around not killing anything it's something like 10 minutes, but if you kill a bunch of big guys with tons of souls, you can be done in 3-4 kills.

With a small white soapstone you can get duty fulfilled mid boss fight. I feel bad for the host because you buffed the bosses HP and are leaving, but they shouldn't have taken a small summon to a boss.