Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but is that a sign of people falling behind the times or of people merely maturing past the narcissism and neediness of youth?

No reason it can't be both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Huh, Joel McHale is gonna be taking over The Late Late Show when Craigy Ferg leaves.

e: Wait, should've read a few posts above mine haha. Nevermind.

Am I the only one wondering what this will mean for The Soup? Because given a choice between the two I'd rather have The Soup.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
New host, probably.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Am I the only one wondering what this will mean for The Soup? Because given a choice between the two I'd rather have The Soup.

Yes, and I don't even watch The Soup.

Late night talk shows are a garbage format and I'm still bummed Colbert is moving to it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but is that a sign of people falling behind the times or of people merely maturing past the narcissism and neediness of youth?

I think you're on to something here, I only have a facebook to keep up with my friends that don't live near me anymore, and I understand the "appeal" of twitter and instagram, it's just that they appeal mostly to assholes. It's not as though I'm befuddled by how they work or anything, I mean I have a smartphone and know how it works too, but I don't get people who spend all their waking hours texting.

IRQ posted:

Yes, and I don't even watch The Soup.

Late night talk shows are a garbage format and I'm still bummed Colbert is moving to it.

Craig Ferguson is probably the only one that has ever been different or interesting enough to be worth watching in the last decade (aside from bright spots of Conan's Tonight Show stint) and even with him I eventually got to where I didn't feel like staying up late enough to watch or recording it. I like Joel but I don't think his style really lends itself to talk shows or anything in a non-sitcom format that doesn't consist of him constantly mocking things.

On the other hand, if he leaves The Soup I'll be free of reasons to ever tune into E! again, much like the Style Network after they cancelled The Dish and put Topanga out of a job.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 14, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of late night shows, NPH is saying he was offered the Late Show position but declined saying that he doesn't think he would be a good fit for it.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Bit of a shame Legit got cancelled, I dug it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

I think you're on to something here, I only have a facebook to keep up with my friends that don't live near me anymore, and I understand the "appeal" of twitter and instagram, it's just that they appeal mostly to assholes.
Then you either don't understand the appeal of Twitter and Instagram or are just paying lip service to it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hope you never have to take a Unicru test to even get considered for a job, be required to take a Meyers-Briggs as part of your employment or schooling, or wind up in a criminal investigation where hair analyses, polygraph tests, and eyewitness testimony are used so you never have this wonderful naivete about the competence of institutions and the tools they use shattered.

Poor gauging of audience size has billion dollar consequences. It really shouldn't be hard to understand that money like that is enough to get massive corporations to shift strategies.

This is all irrelevant though. The networks and their advertisers don't care about viewers who aren't watching the show in its timeslot, it has nothing to do with the Neilsen's methods.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FX also canceled Chozen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JohnSherman posted:

The networks and their advertisers don't care about viewers who aren't watching the show in its timeslot, it has nothing to do with the Neilsen's methods.

It's their failure to assign value and ability capitalize on those viewers that's going to cause the whole thing to come crashing down in a generation. They are sticking their head in the sand and going "La la la, they aren't worth anything" while failing to come to the realization that the idea of people sitting around a TV in the evening and watching TV in its timeslot is coming to an end.

My parents sit down in front of the TV in an evening and put on a channel and watch.

I DVR things and watch on my own schedule.

My niece and nephew already have no concept at all of timeslots. They watch what they want to watch whenever they want to watch it, most of the time not even on a TV.

The whole system is going to have to undergo a massive shift in the next 10-15 years because the people who watch TV live are going to be in the minority. If they don't figure out how to capitalize and quantify the other viewing options by then, everything falls apart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of late night shows, NPH is saying he was offered the Late Show position but declined saying that he doesn't think he would be a good fit for it.

Wait, they offered it to him before Colbert?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Capitalizing on a generation of people who do everything they can to avoid advertisements (and at the same time, avoid paying for content) is really loving hard. Your options boil down to making ads unskippable, getting more revenue from product placement, or charging HBO levels of money for every channel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Wait, they offered it to him before Colbert?

Sounds like it wasn't so much a solid offer as asking him if he'd be interested in it. Apparently he counter pitched a weekly variety show which CBS said they're interested in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JohnSherman posted:

Capitalizing on a generation of people who do everything they can to avoid advertisements (and at the same time, avoid paying for content) is really loving hard. Your options boil down to making ads unskippable, getting more revenue from product placement, or charging HBO levels of money for every channel.

That's the thing though. Hard as it may be, it's the reality of the situation. They need to adapt or burn. They can't put the genie back into the bottle and pretending like it isn't happening is just going to lead them to ruin faster.

PERSONALLY, I would rather pay for content to lessen or eliminate advertisements. As soon as I clean off my DVR, I plan to cord cut because I'm tired of the inferior product that is linear TV service. I can either record Fargo on FX and have to skip through ads as well as put up with the FX network logo, or I can buy the episodes on google play for $2.99 a pop and not have to deal with any of that crap AND own them forever. Repeat for all the shows that I watch.

I started watching network shows on Hulu rather than my DVR because the few unskippable ad breaks they have are INFINITELY better than the annoying overlays they put on while I'm watching the show.

When it comes right down to it, for what I pay in TV service, I could outright buy 20 series of 22 episode seasons on Google play per year. That's more TV than I watch. If you throw in Hulu Plus for $7.99 /month, that cuts the number of shows I need to buy in half. So, I can pay less, get a higher quality product, be able to watch it wherever and whenever I want, AND avoid most of the ads.

Once you get used to watching programming on your own terms, there isn't any going back. People will give up on programming altogether rather than be forced to watch 15 minutes of ads per hour, get annoyed by graphical overlays, or suffer through forced product placement. They've built an unsustainable business model for future viewing habits and it's going to be really interesting to watch the crash.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Of course in that situation people are even less prone to venture outside of shows or names they already know.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PTizzle posted:

Bit of a shame Legit got cancelled, I dug it.
Season 1 was funny, but it was pretty much a vehicle for putting his jokes into a sitcom. Season 2 gave the show a lot more depth, and there were some real emotional gut punches as well. It wasn't a good sign when they relegated it to FXX, more so because they did that after the boost it got from being after Archer. I'll miss it.

Chozen was pretty bad, though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mothergently caress. Jim Jefferies is one of the best comedians around, and that show had a great supprting cast. I'm gonna miss it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
At this point, Sunny aside, can we just admit FXX is a graveyard for everything they transferred over? I wouldn't be surprised if they put a bullet in The League this year too as a result.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NFL on CBS Thursday night is a new thing, right? Did the NFL add another Thurs. night game or did they move the one over from the NFL Network?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Syrg Sapphire posted:

At this point, Sunny aside, can we just admit FXX is a graveyard for everything they transferred over? I wouldn't be surprised if they put a bullet in The League this year too as a result.

On the other hand, it has introduced me to a few 90s sitcoms that are fun to watch after work.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

NFL on CBS Thursday night is a new thing, right? Did the NFL add another Thurs. night game or did they move the one over from the NFL Network?

The latter, as I understand it.

I'm not totally convinced people will care, but whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maxwell Lord posted:

Of course in that situation people are even less prone to venture outside of shows or names they already know.

The fact that a lot of networks now release pilots online ahead of time for free can really help with that. Binge watching the first season of a show after it's released on a streaming service like Netflix can boost subsequent years as well (just look at Breaking Bad.) Of course, that doesn't help the show not get cancelled in the first season, but there really isn't an easy answer in all of this.

Viewers are getting too sophisticated and want freedom of content (and are increasingly willing to pay for that freedom) which is at exact odds with the traditional ad driven TV market. It's time for the people earning all those billions of dollars to get creative and figure out a new business model before this current model is hollowed out from the inside and collapses. Traditional Nielsen ratings are going to continue to decline year over year, it's inevitable. Eventually advertisers are going to wonder why they are spending all this money on ads that no one is seeing and the price of commercial spots is going to collapse.

The industry has already started growing subscription based revenue to offset the start of decline of ad based revenue (see the reason why there are so many carriage agreement disputes.) We could actually start seeing a reversal of growing number of advertisements in television as companies bail to cheaper forms of advertising that they perceive as having more impact.

Once TV is getting the majority of it's revenue from subscription based fees, that really changes the landscape for ratings because it becomes less about selling ad spots and more about getting viewers to continue paying their MSO for the ability to view the channel.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

The latter, as I understand it.

I'm not totally convinced people will care, but whatever.

I can begin to even explain how incorrect that latter statement is

So uh

MrA

You are quite incorrect

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
A lot of fans despise that the Thursday games even exist, both as a matter of convenience and because short prep weeks often lead to lovely games. But the CBS Thursday games will wreck all competition regardless.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I don't think you'll find anyone that will argue that FXX wasn't an ill-advised move to say the least. Do they even have new programming on FX proper to fill the gaps left behind by the shows they moved over to FXX?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

raditts posted:

I don't think you'll find anyone that will argue that FXX wasn't an ill-advised move to say the least. Do they even have new programming on FX proper to fill the gaps left behind by the shows they moved over to FXX?

A mass of dramas + Saint George, maybe some other stuff I missed.

I believe the big amount of it comes this summer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So there's no thread for Catfish, unfortunately, but this poo poo is consistently hilarious. On tonight's episode, this dude's cousin wrote in and she was concerned about her cousin potentially getting catfished by this guy Tony, so Nev and Max try to hunt this guy Tony down and they end up with 3 different addresses and they check each one out and they're all dead ends. So finally, at the last address (which is an abandoned house), when they check it out and see that there's nobody there, the cousin admits that she was the catfish because she was trying to get revenge on her cousin for saying some poo poo to her years ago. So basically the entire episode was Nev and Max wasting their time :lol:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Poor gauging of audience size has billion dollar consequences.
How so? There's no good way to develop a causal relationship between TV ad spend and increased sales because at the same time, you're running ads elsewhere, you're changing your products/changing prices, you're getting mentioned in unpaid advertising like daytime talk shows and social media, etc.

Imagine, if you will, that Nielsen didn't actually crunch the numbers and completely made them up, but only Nielsen knew that was happening. Who's to argue when they say The Walking Dead pulls a 9.0 in the demo and Community pulls a 1.0?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

So there's no thread for Catfish, unfortunately, but this poo poo is consistently hilarious. On tonight's episode, this dude's cousin wrote in and she was concerned about her cousin potentially getting catfished by this guy Tony, so Nev and Max try to hunt this guy Tony down and they end up with 3 different addresses and they check each one out and they're all dead ends. So finally, at the last address (which is an abandoned house), when they check it out and see that there's nobody there, the cousin admits that she was the catfish because she was trying to get revenge on her cousin for saying some poo poo to her years ago. So basically the entire episode was Nev and Max wasting their time :lol:

There's a S3 of Catfish? I'll make a thread for it. I love that fuckin show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is About A Boy actually good? I didn't realize it got the post-Voice pimp spot on Tuesdays.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

This is all irrelevant though. The networks and their advertisers don't care about viewers who aren't watching the show in its timeslot, it has nothing to do with the Neilsen's methods.

Of course the networks care about how many people watch their shows, even if delayed. For a start, the claim that only live counts is nonsense. The ONLY ratings number that really counts right now isn't live, and in fact it's not for the shows themselves either. C3 is the rating for the adverts in a show within the first three days, and this is the number advertisers pay up for. The reason we don't hear much about it is that these numbers aren't available to the public.

The networks are desperate to expand the window for ratings as well, at least to 7, but preferably to 30 days. They have a good case too, the rate at which viewers watch ads aren't that different for delayed viewing. I've seen it estimated at 80% for live and 50% for delayed, so for ads that aren't time sensitive (basically movie ads) there is no reason why they shouldn't get paid no matter when the ad is watched.

A couple of stories about this:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/les-moonves-retreats-from-prediction-about-c7-ad-sales-in-2014-ubs-confab/

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/les-moonves-wants-advertisers-to-pay-for-live-plus-30-days-viewing/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I'm quite glad I gave The Mindy Project another shot for s2. s1 started off pretty mediocre and I gave up around the Christmas episode where they revealed the interesting boyfriend sports dude character was actually a cheating douche, despite the fact he seemed pretty over with the audience but it picked up a little and having Anders Holm around was nice.

s2 started for the first few episodes much the same as s1 ended which is fine, but as soon as Mindy sorted her hair out the show has seemed to have gone into an upswing. I think I'm only on about episode 6 or 7 but definitely going to keep watching now.

+ really good use of good people for bit parts. Always had cable favourites like Mark Duplass popping up, but Glenn Howerton's lawyer character in s2 is great and I hope he doesn't go anywhere.
+ New Girl did a pretty poor job with Damon Wayans Jr, but Adam Pally's character in Mindy has nailed his voice perfectly.
+ Ike Barinholtz was a great addition in s1, remains great in s2.

- I still don't really care about the two male doctors that much, kinda how I feel about Nick/Schmidt in New Girl that much. They feel like they're written for a sitcom, as opposed to real people with elements of their personalities cranked up. Enough fun stuff happens around them though.

So yeah, kudos to TMP for taking a show that wasn't hitting that well and making it stronger.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh poo poo, Catfish is back already? That episode sounds amazing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

YOU AIN'T NEVER GONNA FIND TONY CUZ I'M TONY. SHOULDA NEVER CALLED ME A FAT rear end KELLY PRICE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do the people who like the TV show also like the film? I thought it was gash of the highest proportion, but if the show is far better I might give it a watch sometime.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do the people who like the TV show also like the film? I thought it was gash of the highest proportion, but if the show is far better I might give it a watch sometime.

I don't watch a ton of it but from what I've seen they definitely know how to handle it with more tact than they did while making the film.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that's lovely news about Legit. There were some seriously hilarious episodes this season, especially the HS reunion one.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I just want to give major props to Suburgatory for ending its run with an episode titled "STIIIILL HORNY".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bown posted:

Oh man, that's lovely news about Legit. There were some seriously hilarious episodes this season, especially the HS reunion one.
It also had one of those emotional moments at the end that I talked about. That poo poo blindsided me.

• Locked thread