Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is a high Harmony worth giving up having different Affinities for?

In my experience, no not at all.

Maleketh posted:

What the gently caress is he even supposed to be? Nightwing?

Some of the other costumes for Shu have this sort of "future" theme going on. With the five tiger generals with a sort of Super Sentai thing going on. They aslo get beam weapon DLC to go with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw Dynasty Warriors 8 on steam. I didn't know they still made these games. Has the series ever evolved beyond pressing X 1,000 times to win? When I was in high school and played I remember it not being a huge challenge.

vv Alright yeah, getting this

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 14, 2014

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like I'm playing DW5 all over again. Jesus this game is great. I feel bad for anyone having troubles with the game just functioning, hope it works eventually.

In the spirit of "Ancient Chinese Genocide Simulator" moments of awesome, I during the fourth Wei mission, I ran Cao Ren and managed to break his rage musou and racked up a 3731 hit combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKltXeMhXXM

And yes it is possible to kill Lu Bu in Hu Lao Gate. Kill his wife, this makes him enrage and focus solely on the general (hopefully you) who killed her. Run around like a demon possessed while your allies all do basic attacks to his back. He ignores them because he only wants you. Cao Cao ended up getting the death blow while I was running around trying to find more musou or health and trying to not die.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Blast of Confetti posted:

I just saw Dynasty Warriors 8 on steam. I didn't know they still made these games. Has the series ever evolved beyond pressing X 1,000 times to win? When I was in high school and played I remember it not being a huge challenge.

They are still pretty easy but the gameplay has changed slightly in that you can't just bumrush the end guy anymore, you'll generally have a series of objectives like meeting up with someone, beating some key officer, blowing up siege weapons, etc. and actually are actually to some extent enacting these battles rather than just wading through killing dudes until you eventually kill the boss.

If effortlessly slaughtering thousands of dudes in the process of trying to juggle slightly tougher dudes does not appeal to you, I would probably stay away from this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

vv Alright yeah, getting this

No, they haven't really evolved much beyond layering more subsystems and modes on top, but it's still a lot of fun, especially if you haven't played any of them in years. I got sour on the series somewhere between DW 5 and 6, and I'm really enjoying 8.

I really do wish they could get past the technical stuff, though. I don't mind the fact that they're so ugly, but I don't understand why there are still invisible troops running around in 2014.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jibo posted:

They are still pretty easy but the gameplay has changed slightly in that you can't just bumrush the end guy anymore, you'll generally have a series of objectives like meeting up with someone, beating some key officer, blowing up siege weapons, etc. and actually are actually to some extent enacting these battles rather than just wading through killing dudes until you eventually kill the boss.

If effortlessly slaughtering thousands of dudes in the process of trying to juggle slightly tougher dudes does not appeal to you, I would probably stay away from this.

Yeah, been watching some vids and this looks pretty good. It got flashier, which can make up for eh objectives

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Did you know you can juggle officers with the ballistas forever? I spent five minutes giggling to myself juggling Wang Ping until he went into space.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Normal is basically easy braindead X mash for the most part. If you want a legit challenge that eats you, go for the higher difficulty. It really pushes you to learn the new mechanics.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Normal is basically easy braindead X mash for the most part. If you want a legit challenge that eats you, go for the higher difficulty. It really pushes you to learn the new mechanics.

Starting on hard is pointless if your faction is level 1, you'll rack up amazing hit combos but actually killing someone, even the basic mooks takes a bit of time. Time that's spent watching your morale meter plummet or the sounds of various officers getting horribly slaughtered.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How do I set DW8XLCE resolution to 1680*1050?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

How do I set DW8XLCE resolution to 1680*1050?

You can't, unless there's some .ini edit I don't know about. Sad to say, but 16:10 resolutions are dying out. It feels like fewer and fewer games support them these days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

You can't, unless there's some .ini edit I don't know about. Sad to say, but 16:10 resolutions are dying out. It feels like fewer and fewer games support them these days.

Haha what? Glad I didn't buy this then.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Hakkesshu posted:

Good. 16:9 is proper widescreen anyway. Tired of having to crop all these drat 16:10 wallpapers to fit my proper monitor.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Octolady posted:

Why do they go out of their way to make Liu Shan so creepy :stare: That goddamn face

That's I believe supposed to be looking dopey and passive, but potentially concealing a crafty intellect. Put him in that outfit though and BEWARE the Night Rapist.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

5er posted:

That's I believe supposed to be looking dopey and passive, but potentially concealing a crafty intellect. Put him in that outfit though and BEWARE the Night Rapist.

The hands really don't help.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
What's the go to level for getting weapons easily? I forget which DW it was, but I remember just running through a quick level a bunch of times to get 4th weapons.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The easiest way to get weapons up to 3-stars is to just go through a story mode until the last level, then buy poo poo from the blacksmith, burn through the level, rinse, repeat. That'll do for most story modes. Anything higher and you're probably best doing Ambition mode, since all the levels there are automatically short and to the point and then you can just liquidate all the drops in the Blacksmith.

5th and 6th weapons are specific drops in levels for doing certain things, but half their bonuses are fixed so you're often better off making a custom loadout on a 4-star weapon.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 14, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Stelas posted:

The easiest way to get weapons up to 3-stars is to just go through a story mode until the last level, then buy poo poo from the blacksmith, burn through the level, rinse, repeat. That'll do for most story modes. Anything higher and you're probably best doing Ambition mode, since all the levels there are automatically short and to the point and then you can just liquidate all the drops in the Blacksmith.

Not to mention that a sufficiently-upgraded Blacksmith straight-up sells level-4 weapons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
DW8 on PC is good and fun and runs pretty well overall, better than I expect it to for sure.

There is one question, though. Is there a way to change the deadzone on joystick controls? Because moving either a character or the camera in a diagonal direction causes it either said character or the camera to hit a complete loving crawl.

(Also, I really hope DW8 sells well and Koei puts out SW4 for PC)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked up DW8XL:CE, which remains an utter pleasure to type, for the Vita. Should keep me busy during downtime.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

5er posted:

That's I believe supposed to be looking dopey and passive, but potentially concealing a crafty intellect.

Someone flat out says this in one of the camp conversations in WO3 (forget which character) that Liu Shan wears the fool's mask to hide his true nature.

Maleketh posted:

What the gently caress is he even supposed to be? Nightwing?

Basically a mook from a toku series, like the Shocker troops from Kamen Rider.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is a high Harmony worth giving up having different Affinities for?

Harmony is pretty good with two of Lu Bu's weapons The weapon switch buff for halberds makes you attack faster and hit multiple times per attack, so you can switch weapons and do an attack string then switch back and repeat. It turns the game into EZmode.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Giving Lu Bu two Halberds makes him basically invincible and lets you win fights on hard or lower in a few seconds of mashing square, it's crazy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone know if that buff stacks with the Switch Counter buff?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Chortles posted:

Does anyone know if that buff stacks with the Switch Counter buff?

I want to say yes since I think that weapons with switch-in attacks fire them off after the counter.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Giving Lu Bu two Halberds makes him basically invincible and lets you win fights on hard or lower in a few seconds of mashing square, it's crazy.

You can do this with anyone! This is basically how I got a lot of the tougher 5 star weapons. Give a pair of halberds and Red Hare to anyone and they will wreck everything regardless of affinity/proficiency.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

Do he still have the crazy wrestling moves that have a crowd chanting for him? Please say yes, I'm still downloading the game.

Yes, and his weapon is a boat

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yes, and his weapon is a boat

The main reason I like 8 over 7 is that I like every character having a distinct weapon. It just feels better, and less like model swaps.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Stelas posted:

The main reason I like 8 over 7 is that I like every character having a distinct weapon. It just feels better, and less like model swaps.

Same for me, although I freely admit that some character suffered from the transition. Sima Zhao :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maleketh posted:

Same for me, although I freely admit that some character suffered from the transition. Sima Zhao :(

I liked his new weapon, and I thought it was a neat mechanic.

That said, a moment of silence for Ding Feng and his gloves.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
First time I saw the boat I was like, "Well, Koei, you've got my money, and you'll continue to get it probably, you're doing good". I'm also loving being able to use whatever moveset I want as any given character instead of being stuck with whatever their default moveset may be.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do wish that equipping the mastered weapon skills would unlock the EX moves, not just those lame moves like Dash

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The best part of having more weapons is you have more freedom in creating fun combos. For example, I find Lu Lingqi's cross halberd and the flute have pretty good synergy and you can make some neat combos. And you can get EVEN MORE movesets via DLC...whenever Koei get round to releasing them at least.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

That said, a moment of silence for Ding Feng and his gloves.

Ding Feng's new weapon is great fun once you figure out how to use it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bless whoever decided Xing Cai needed to loosen up and gave her a surfboard attack.

And oh god, these story stages take so long. I'm still only on Shu and I still don't have all the stages. Do you guys finish one faction or do you do the basic story and do the objectives after?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Brony Hunter posted:

And you can get EVEN MORE movesets via DLC...whenever Koei get round to releasing them at least.

I'd have thought the so-called 'complete edition' would have that DLC in place already. Isn't that the point of calling it so?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

And oh god, these story stages take so long. I'm still only on Shu and I still don't have all the stages. Do you guys finish one faction or do you do the basic story and do the objectives after?

First time around, just do the basic story. By then you'll have stronger weapons which helps immensely in getting some of the objectives done. Second time around you'll often complete many of them by accident just from having better gear. And yeah, story mode is so huge now.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Stelas posted:

And yeah, story mode is so huge now.

So is Ambition Mode. :psyduck: It's going to take so long to get all my officers back.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Can someone explain to me why this weapon has a golden star beside it and seems special? I can't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kreczor posted:

Can someone explain to me why this weapon has a golden star beside it and seems special? I can't understand it.

its a rare drop off a playable officer. The numbers on the skills are extra high and it only comes with those skills.