Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

P.d0t posted:

I've been reading some PbP stuff (specifically D&D Next: Dead in Thay in TGR) and I'm interested in getting into the hobby. I have literally no experience in PbP TTRPGs so I am clueless as to how rolls get integrated into posts and basic stuff like that.

Are there any good resources or simple guides that come in handy?
How easy is it to get into a game if you're completely new to the particular system?

The people running the games, the GMs, are likely to have their own ways of doing things. For most of my games when people need to roll dice, I have them say what they're rolling and then I'll do the roll for them. I'll then post the result of the dice roll. That's how most of my games go.

In a lot of new games, players roll for themselves and post the results from an offsite die rolling website like orokos.com.

Who ever is running the game will let you know how they want to deal with dice rolls.

As for learning about PBP, most people do so by joining games. Helps if you know the system, but it isn't always necessary. The person running the game will tell you what you need for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

P.d0t posted:

I've been reading some PbP stuff (specifically D&D Next: Dead in Thay in TGR) and I'm interested in getting into the hobby. I have literally no experience in PbP TTRPGs so I am clueless as to how rolls get integrated into posts and basic stuff like that.

How easy is it to get into a game if you're completely new to the particular system?

I'm in that game; it's the second PbP gave I've ever participated in. Just keep an eye on the recruitment thread; when you see a game that interests you, make an interest post and then a character. I've mentioned my newbieness when expressing interest, and everyone's been accepting and tolerant.

The two games I've participated in have both used Orokos.com - here's a link to the expressions you can use, although I've not yet had a need to go any further than 1d20+2+1d4. A passing familiarity with the system is useful; failing that, I'm sure you can just buy a copy of the game's rules on DriveThruRPG and give them a quick read.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Just be advised that some systems definitely work better than others when it comes to PbP. Something Powered by the Apocalypse, where the player can do all their own character's rolling on Orokos, may be easier to think of than, say, One Roll Engine games. Though I've never seen any ORE games run here...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything that requires rolls in response to or simultaneous with other people's rolls is bound to be slower basically :v:

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Bit nervous and excited, going to play Dungeon World with some folks from a meetup group later this evening. It's going to be the first time I've ever gamed with people who aren't close friends/people I already know. Fingers crossed for a fun time!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
What's a good way to get a mixed bag of like 15-20 pre-painted minis suitable for fantasy city adventuring? Mostly humanoids like city guards, bandits, nobles, and a few more unique characters.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 14, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kellsterik posted:

What's a good way to get a mixed bag of like 15-20 pre-painted minis suitable for fantasy city adventuring? Mostly humanoids like city guards, bandits, nobles, and a few more unique characters.

Lego toy castle sets.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

FMguru posted:

I'm trying to think of a genre where vehicle combat is a big deal (Crimson Skies, Car Wars, mecha robots, etc.) that ever had an RPG that worked and didn't feel like just a bolt-on to a tabletop wargame, and I'm not coming up with any.

I realize this is from pages (and almost two weeks) ago, but this seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make.

The trick would be to have the entire party in one vehicle; for example, rather than the players in a Crimson Skies-style air combat game being hotshot fighter pilots, they'd be the crew of a B-17. Instead of a post-apocalyptic car combat game giving every member their own crazy-rear end souped up car, have the party all be in one car and have maintaining it be one of the central goals of the game.

You could even still have tactical combat, but not splitting the party and making the members cooperate to get anything done goes a long way for making roleplay a viable major part of the game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I might have said it before, but the original GURPS Autoduel rules weren't too bad. They were drastically simplified from Car Wars proper, but we had a ton of fun driving around arenas drawn on loose-leaf paper and hopping out of our cars to do things on foot. The more recent edition is godawful, since instead of a simple, modular design system, they use a subset of those sprawling vehicle construction rules that demand hours and a previously prepped spreadsheet to get anything out of.

I've played the old FASA Star Trek game, and tried to play a proper campaign of Mechwarrior a few times, but flying a ship felt more like sitting in a fantasy inn that shakes and makes funny noises, and once we got in the mechs, the mechwarrior sheets felt superfluous.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I realize this is from pages (and almost two weeks) ago, but this seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make.

The trick would be to have the entire party in one vehicle; for example, rather than the players in a Crimson Skies-style air combat game being hotshot fighter pilots, they'd be the crew of a B-17. Instead of a post-apocalyptic car combat game giving every member their own crazy-rear end souped up car, have the party all be in one car and have maintaining it be one of the central goals of the game.

I swear there was a PbP of a game where all the players were B-17 crews or something a while ago. I'll try and dig it up.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

I've played the old FASA Star Trek game, and tried to play a proper campaign of Mechwarrior a few times, but flying a ship felt more like sitting in a fantasy inn that shakes and makes funny noises, and once we got in the mechs, the mechwarrior sheets felt superfluous.

The thing is, flying a ship or driving around in a post-apocalyptic supercar or manning a B-17 should present its own challenges, independent of whatever plot cookies the GM hands you. Having a spaceship be a fantasy inn that shakes and makes funny noises works fine for a game that's not centered around the spaceships, but in, say, a Star Trek game where the ship is the focus, maintaining it and keeping it spaceworthy should be a constant challenge- the Enterprise didn't just run on its own, it needed constant attention from its crew to stay up and running. Hell, Geordi's entire job was to keep the engine running (except when it wasn't, but that's neither here nor there).

At the same time, though, the challenges need to be interesting. Having the player with the highest Crafts/Mechanics/Engineering/loving the Dog skill make constant rolls while you're flying so that the engine won't blow up isn't interesting or fun; having the holodeck go haywire and start spewing out Nazis that take the captain hostage, or having the teleporter screw up and put someone's quarters in the engine room, or having stowaway space Yetis crawling around in the air vents, is. The problems should be their own mini-adventure hooks, unrelated to the main plot.

Another thing that could help (though specifically for a space or air combat game) is, instead of abstracting combat, zoom in on it. The Enterprise, to keep the Star Trek example going, doesn't suddenly turn into a monolithic entity when a Klingon warbird starts firing on it; rather, everyone goes to battlestations and manages their part, and if someone gets killed the rest of the crew has to scramble to fill that position without jeopardizing everything else. The way that FTL: Faster than Light handles combat is pretty much how I'm imagining it, if that helps any.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You could even still have tactical combat, but not splitting the party and making the members cooperate to get anything done goes a long way for making roleplay a viable major part of the game.

I've been working on something pretty similar to this, where everyone pilots the same giant robot - which can be a mecha, or an aircraft carrier, or a couple other things I haven't written yet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TG7R-chtJxkZkH6cgDu7sNhbRwVA97vigpD7K0g8Kxw/edit

That link will be filled with disappointment at the moment though - I have a lot more playbooks to write before its anything approaching playable, but that link is some core rules and this link is the Hero playbooks I have done: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dk-YvEPlE0m_gtM4wktl1b1R9SlucpVedW5w_90xf0g/edit

I still need to make actual Ship playbooks, though, which are the communal playbook for the ship you're all piloting together. I have two Enemy playbooks done, which are basically the GM's character sheet, but they aren't on my computer just yet.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
The last time I ran a Star Trek RPG, we slotted in Federation Commander for the ship combat with a few expansion rules from Star Fleet Battles. Turns out a game that's anal and insane as a tactical wargame makes a pretty decent roleplaying expansion if you split it between four players and a GM. Everyone had enough to manage and worry about that they felt engaged in the combat, with the bonus that the captain couldn't micromanage/quarterback because he didn't have the information in front of him and everything was happening relatively simultaneously.

The irony that we had to bolt on an entirely different game to make a Star Trek game work is not lost on me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bieeardo posted:

I might have said it before, but the original GURPS Autoduel rules weren't too bad. They were drastically simplified from Car Wars proper, but we had a ton of fun driving around arenas drawn on loose-leaf paper and hopping out of our cars to do things on foot. The more recent edition is godawful, since instead of a simple, modular design system, they use a subset of those sprawling vehicle construction rules that demand hours and a previously prepped spreadsheet to get anything out of.

That's honestly interesting because in my group's last Gurps Star Trek campaign our best moments were on the ship and the ground stuff is what we kinda saw as 'ok this is like every other RPG we play'. I think Salt hit it on the head saying you have to have fun challenges, and more importantly the challenge shouldn't eventually funnel down to 'the engineer/mechanic/whatever you call the guy what makes the ship fly good fixed it by rolling his dice'.

Like at one point after a generic treknobabble 'we flew through an anomaly' set up, we had a problem with one wing of the ship computer becoming sentient, not the entire computer mind you, just the kitchen and dining hall. So we had to deal with that, and for a while our 'deal with that' was 'oh sweet now maybe we can get good coffee now that the AI legitimately cares about our wellbeing' until the inevitable HAL turn, and then we all kinda had parts to play in fixing it besides 'ok Jeff you're the engineer just roll to reprogram this thing'. Our security guy had to deal with the AI making solid holograms of itself trying to block us (spoiler: he dealt with it by punching them in the holo-face) and our doctor was dealing with people who got food poisoning thanks to Chef HAL experimenting with recipies, the engineer had bigger worries than hacking him because he was trying to keep the sentience 'virus' from spreading and all that jazz. It was a fun, albeit kinda silly, encounter that was made more fun by the fact that we were trapped in the space ship with it and were limited in options.

Also yea, agreeing with Salt's other point, space combat absolutely needs to be 'zoomed in', the 'I shoot the lasers' isn't just the ship magically deciding to fire its lasers, it's a dude priming them, another dude (usually) aiming them, and maybe even another dude working on making sure the captain's stupid rear end idea to boost phasers by rerouting power from the backup doesn't accidentally short out the system and leave you with no life support. There's a reason the big rally cry in Star Trek space battles is 'red alert, all hands to battle stations', space combat is a team effort when you're on a multi-person ship.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I agree entirely, SALT CURES HAM, I was just relating my experiences. For the Trek game, we bolted the old FASA tabletop rules to Starfleet Battles, and ruled that good rolls on character skills would translate into bonuses in the SFB combat system. We used props and rearranged the GM's basement into a 'bridge' mockup in a proto-LARP thingy, which was silly, but fun.

If we had better systems it would have been fantastic, but both systems were wedded to reams of numbers and things could bog down fast. SFB itself probably could be put to that kind of troupe in a truck play with a bit of tweaking, since everything is driven by allocating energy to various systems turn-by-turn. Have the captain player make executive decisions about energy production and allocation, and hand X, Y and Z amounts off to the appropriate players to do the grunt work with.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Edge of the Empire has the best vehicle system I've ever seen in an RPG; it does a great job of getting everybody involved, even if you're all on one ship. There's lots for people of every specialization and skill set to do. Our group is all piled on a single freighter and we only have one pilot, but nobody gets left out of starship combat. Done some vehicle stuff on the ground too, and it's really well done. We haven't done any "everybody is in their own fighter" stuff, but I imagine that would work alright too, but your characters would probably have a more similar skill-set.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Forums Terrorist posted:

I swear there was a PbP of a game where all the players were B-17 crews or something a while ago. I'll try and dig it up.

It was a solitaire board game. B-17, Queen of the Skies.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Playing At The World posted a little bit about one of the raddest games that I always forget ever existed: http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2014/05/midgard-ii-1972-other-fantastic.html

Midgard was like the MMO of its time. It was designed for play-by-mail, with everyone playing in the same universe, and a core of referees keeping everything straight. Proposed rules changes were subject to vote by the player base.

I wonder if something like Midgard could ever take off again. It seems like email/IMs/forum software would make the logistics infinitely easier, but I can't imagine getting enough referees to handle an internet-sized player base.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I figure most fans follow the specific thread for it, but in case anyone wasn't aware and was interested, the first playtester draft of the rules for Feng Shui 2 are out. I'm currently reading them and I'm liking what I see. They've fixed a few of my biggest issues but overall its pretty much the same. The setting has moved forward 20 years (except 1850 for some reason) and has seen at least one MAJOR change, but its still Feng Shui.

And they still have the Shotgun Rule. :allears:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is there a cool 1920's pulp juncture?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nope. However recent events have caused a destabilization in the Chi flow of the Inner Kingdom (Netherworld) meaning that short-lived portals to all sorts of random points in history have begun popping up. They last anywhere from hours to 3 weeks at the longest known, typically lasting only 3-4 days.

So nothing stopping you from having a quick adventure in the 1920s, or any other time for that matter, just get back through a portal before you become stranded in time forever. This also means that characters could be conceivably from any place, any time, if they don't mind being stranded from their past.

Which, of course, means if I ever get to play, I'm totally being this guy:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Poor Dragons'll never get their day.

Which is the point, I guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Demo adventure begins with the latest Dragons Crew getting wasted right in front of the players eyes, leaving them to investigate a disused cira 1996 Dragon safehouse to learn wtf is going on and pick up the pieces and learn from their leftovers.

I'm kind of sad Kar Fai and The Professor don't seem to be around anymore. :(

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

P.d0t posted:

Lol if that's the first pbp you are reading, I just hope you realize our Thay game is basically a joke game. Most pbp games here carefully separate the out of character things like dice rolls from the in-character action, and things are generally a more serious take on whatever system/setting the game is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Poor Dragons'll never get their day.

Which is the point, I guess.
I'm pretty sure a Dragons-dominant Juncture would involve them dying all over it as usual, just with less entrenched power structures of other factions.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wish there were more fantasy versions of oddball time periods. Where's my fantasy setting inspired by the Enlightenment era or the Age of Discovery? Stopping at roughly 1400 for inspiration is hell of boring.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So nothing stopping you from having a quick adventure in the 1920s, or any other time for that matter, just get back through a portal before you become stranded in time forever. This also means that characters could be conceivably from any place, any time, if they don't mind being stranded from their past.

Thought you could do that in the original anyway. I had my party end up in France in 1941 fighting SS soldiers in a quest partly inspired by the Last Crusade.

Still is the Lotus still around?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

gnome7 posted:

I've been working on something pretty similar to this, where everyone pilots the same giant robot - which can be a mecha, or an aircraft carrier, or a couple other things I haven't written yet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TG7R-chtJxkZkH6cgDu7sNhbRwVA97vigpD7K0g8Kxw/edit

That link will be filled with disappointment at the moment though - I have a lot more playbooks to write before its anything approaching playable, but that link is some core rules and this link is the Hero playbooks I have done: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dk-YvEPlE0m_gtM4wktl1b1R9SlucpVedW5w_90xf0g/edit

I still need to make actual Ship playbooks, though, which are the communal playbook for the ship you're all piloting together. I have two Enemy playbooks done, which are basically the GM's character sheet, but they aren't on my computer just yet.

I'd love to check this out but I need permission to access the Hero playbooks! Permission to comment on the main document would be great too.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bigup DJ posted:

I'd love to check this out but I need permission to access the Hero playbooks! Permission to comment on the main document would be great too.

Woops! My bad, let me fix both of those things. The links should work now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ramba Ral posted:

Still is the Lotus still around?

Yeah they are though they've been forced to move shop to 690AD because thebpirtals to their original time closed. They're also no longer in firm control of the Chinese Government due to historical reasons.

The only faction that seems to be gone is the Architects of the Flesh, mostly because the Jammers kind of blew up the future in 2067 and killed 97% of the world population when their "Chi Bomb" scoured every Feng Shui site and leyline from the planet. This wasn't exactly what Battlechimp intended by "free humanity from Feng Shui's power" and now he is dedicated to causing a critcal shift to erase what he has done.

Meanwhile his former right-hand Ape, Furious George, doesn't see the point in crying over 6.5 billion humans worth of spilt milk and has formed a break-away faction to rebuild civilization anew in the ruins. A civilization lead by Cyber-Apes and himself as God-King. Too bad he now has to raid the modern day to get the tech he needs to build more Cyber Apes.

Also Battlechimp closed the Genocide Lounge in thr netherworld, cause, you know, the name suddenly wasn't that funny anymore... :emo:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Archives being down makes it hard to do F&F posts. I know I casually referenced parts of the thing I'm writing, but which parts? :mad:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Gau posted:

The last time I ran a Star Trek RPG, we slotted in Federation Commander for the ship combat with a few expansion rules from Star Fleet Battles. Turns out a game that's anal and insane as a tactical wargame makes a pretty decent roleplaying expansion if you split it between four players and a GM. Everyone had enough to manage and worry about that they felt engaged in the combat, with the bonus that the captain couldn't micromanage/quarterback because he didn't have the information in front of him and everything was happening relatively simultaneously.

The irony that we had to bolt on an entirely different game to make a Star Trek game work is not lost on me.

Gau did you once try and run a game based on goonfleet or did I dream that

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The only faction that seems to be gone is the Architects of the Flesh, mostly because the Jammers kind of blew up the future in 2067 and killed 97% of the world population when their "Chi Bomb" scoured every Feng Shui site and leyline from the planet. This wasn't exactly what Battlechimp intended by "free humanity from Feng Shui's power" and now he is dedicated to causing a critcal shift to erase what he has done.

That's a bit weird, considering Potempkin's whole thing in Feng Shui 1 was that it would be better for everything to burn than to continue under the tyranny of random luck acres. But I suppose theory and practice are two different things.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's a bit weird, considering Potempkin's whole thing in Feng Shui 1 was that it would be better for everything to burn than to continue under the tyranny of random luck acres. But I suppose theory and practice are two different things.
Yeah, I think inherent in his plan to free humanity (and primates) from the tyranny of Chi is for people to be around to enjoy it.

Don't worry, Furious George is keeping the nihilism alive, as a splinter group leader and rival to Potempkin!

E: Also of note, the Jammers are every bit as insane as ever, because when you're out to save 97% of the earth's population, you can justify drat near any cost.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 15, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I wish there were more fantasy versions of oddball time periods. Where's my fantasy setting inspired by the Enlightenment era or the Age of Discovery? Stopping at roughly 1400 for inspiration is hell of boring.

Does 7th Sea count?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Y'know, this is a version of redoing the future shard that sounds really good to me, leagues better than the 1940s-and-the-take-over-the-nazis one from the card game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

I guess when he was faced with the reality of "burning down the world in order to free it" he changed his tune.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I think inherent in his plan to free humanity (and primates) from the tyranny of Chi is for people to be around to enjoy it.
Nah, he'd been quoted in the previous edition material as considering this acceptable collateral damage. He was aware of the possibility and was proceeding anyway. He just... apparently changed his mind once he saw what it was actually like, which is a thing people sometimes do, y'know?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

Does 7th Sea count?

Eh, kinda? I'm not really talking about injecting fantasy elements into our world, I'm more talking about "what would a Tolkien-esque civilization's Age of Discovery look like?"

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

It would be neat to do an RPG setting in the Mistborn world circa Alloy of Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Sion posted:

Gau did you once try and run a game based on goonfleet or did I dream that

Yes, but that is not the most improbable part of the story.

Some fucker from Goonfleet PM'ed me and was upset that I was using their maps and violating OPSEC or something, so I closed the game after maybe ten posts.

• Locked thread