Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wow. Until now ToQger was a "good, but not amazing" kind of Sentai, but this arc was awesome. I love Zed already, he's become my favourite character from...basically the point he showed his face on-screen. Seems this'll be another Sentai I'm rooting for the villains (Go-Busters, Goseiger...there's probably more where the big bad is so insanely cool you can't help but root for him).

... Talking about that, going with Super as a translation makes perfect sense but it still saddens me because Chou Chou ToQoh will lose that awesome pun. Still, we keep getting acceptable robot fights so I can't complain too much, I guess.

It was never a pun, that is not how 超 is pronounced, nor is it how any instance of o or ou is pronounced in Japanese. The person who brought it up was joking; this was never even in the ballpark of possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Why aren't you getting drunk with the Treasure Five?
I know it's not the same, but it's just as funny.

The humor's a little different sadly. I can't seem to like any of the characters and get attached to them like Akibarangers. That may be the point, so this is the type of show that's not to my taste.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Final Dairanger verdict after 50 goddamn episodes. Spoilers will be tagged.

First of all, the cons.

There is no consistency, at all. Strategies used to solve problems in one episode are forgotten about for the next 20. Powers that defeat enemies in one shot become useless against the next enemy and powerful again against the next one, with no rhyme or reason. If Power Rangers is anything to go by (and I'm not sure it is), this is par for the course for 90's super sentai shows.

Characters are not developed in any depth at all. Their difference comes chiefly from the different plot arcs that are associated with each of them. This isn't that bad, as the arcs are very distinct from each other. So by association the characters get very distinct from each other as well. The sixth ranger is all but forgotten about, except in the episode arcs that explicitly focus on him.

The main villain's design is... something. It looks like something straight out of a modern Tetsuya Nomura sketchbook – the theme is leather, zippers, belt buckles, and in one very unfortunate case, shirt buttons. It's jarring and awful at first but after a while it becomes endearing and adorable in that "oh, you" kind of way. It might just be the TV equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome, however.

Does it live up to its premise as a "martial-arts themed super sentai"? No, it kind of doesn't. I mean, Dairanger is about martial arts in the same way Dragonball Z is about martial arts – the focus is on ki and on each character's special powers. However, you combine this with the lack of power consistency mentioned above, and the whole thing falls apart. If you can't trust the rangers' special techniques to do the same thing (or even be the same thing) between episodes, you can't root for their special techniques. The whole thing becomes a showcase for smoke-and-sparks bombs and flips. So many flips.

The headquarters of the main characters is the most underwhelming scene setting ever. It's a featureless basement. That's it.

The most obvious question that the viewer asks from day goddamn one, who the hell is Master Kaku, where does he come from, and why doesn't he have anything better to do than sit around in a basement all day, takes until episode 40 or so to even get acknowledged.

Now for the pros.

The special effects are in fact very well done. The things shows its age, but it's clear that the special effects are done with love and, most important, care. They also get better the further along the series gets. The monsters are mostly themed after Japanese culture and are pretty interesting.

It picks up, and the martial arts focus increases. I can divide it in something like four big phases:
The first 20 or so episodes, where the show is trying to get its feet under itself. It's not bad at all. In fact, it's a lot of fun, but it's pretty average super sentai action.
From episode 20 until episode 35 or so, the series becomes more secure about itself. The plot arcs introduced here are less flimsy and will carry the series until its finale. There's more of a focus on individual duels between rangers and monsters. Fight choreography becomes better as a result.
At around episode 34 or so, there's a noticeable change in direction, though I don't know enough Japanese to dig through the credits and find exactly what happened. Things just get better all around. You see them trying different things with both fight choreography and scene direction. It works.
The last 6 or 7 episodes ramp up the dramatic tension, something that hadn't been happening until then. It's very well done: the stakes increase organically, the pacing is set to a more exciting one and doesn't let up, and there aren't any of the gaping holes in writing you'd expect from a series end.

From around episode 40 or so, they start dealing with the loose ends of the previously introduced plot arcs. I personally think every single plot arc is closed in a dramatic, satisfactory way, which is more than can be said of many series out there.

Let's talk about the ending. The last 5 or so episodes are about ramping up. The reveals come one after another, the pacing is great, and each event moves the plot along in leaps and bounds. Within the constraints of having to rehearse and shoot within a week (i.e. fight scenes take a few seconds at most), the fight choreography is stellar. People on the internet say the ending is "out of nowhere" and "very out there". That's because of a bombastic twist on episode 49 – the twist changes everything, but it doesn't nullify the work done in the previous 48 episodes nor does it deus-ex-machina the rangers out of their problems. It's a bombastic twist that I approve of. Now, the last few moments of the very last episode – where the rangers in old-man makeup watch their grandsons become the new Dairangers to fight Gouma aneware pretty insane, but they fit with the series' theme and previously introduced issues. It's the right kind of insane.

There are no gaping plot holes. There are, however, two huge questions that remain open: Where the hell does the daijinryuu come from and who made the Gouma clay people. The series gives enough material to become intrigued and speculate about their answers, so they're the right kind of open questions for an ending.

High point of the show? The fights between the rangers outside their suits and the evil henchmen. The best choreography is found there.

Final verdict: Lots of fun! The ending is very well executed and satisfying. The plot is basic but well done, until around episode 35 where it starts doing things, and then it becomes genuinely good and involving. Choreography could be better but when it's good it's pretty drat good and the special effects are great.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I saw the end of Dairanger as some kind of metaphor involving international relations. Dairanger is clearly Japan. The Gorma are China. DaiJinRyuu is probably America, coming in and loving poo poo up and making everyone play nice. After things are kinda solved, the massive dragon that makes people jump off buildings(???) goes home until things go wild again.. That's just me though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Parmesan Basil posted:

I saw the end of Dairanger as some kind of metaphor involving international relations. Dairanger is clearly Japan. The Gorma are China. DaiJinRyuu is probably America, coming in and loving poo poo up and making everyone play nice. After things are kinda solved, the massive dragon that makes people jump off buildings(???) goes home until things go wild again.. That's just me though.
Okay, 1: The Dairanger would be China, seeing as how their powers are based on Chinese mystical animals and martial arts.
2. You are out of your goddamn mind.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, 1: The Dairanger would be China, seeing as how their powers are based on Chinese mystical animals and martial arts.
2. You are out of your goddamn mind.

Yes, it's obviously a metaphor for the loss of innocence, with the Gorma representing the inner sorrow of man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's obviously a sex metaphor.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
No you guys are wrong, it's an anology of how Dairanger was never adapted into Power Rangers but as a horrible clay monstrosity of itself that isn't even real.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Stop looking too deep into the show for 5 year old kids, guys

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
eBay has failed me...does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Kyoryuger Ranger Key set? Not the new Deboss one, but the original one.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Wow, Pink paid up this time

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

eBay has failed me...does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Kyoryuger Ranger Key set? Not the new Deboss one, but the original one.

You could email RiderProxy (riderproxy.order@gmail.com) and see if she can find you one on Yahoo Japan Auctions. That'll likely be the best bet for finding it at this point.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you're not at least watching After V for the Commander, I just don't know.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm continuing on with Fourze, I'm in the middle of episode 14 now.

Some thoughts:
  • I'm really liking the chemistry the cast has now that we finally have everyone introduced. Hopefully we'll be able to have some proper MOTW for a bit without having to do character intros or hamfisted character development because I think this cast would work quite well with that. I'm looking forward to good MOTW stuff like W had after it got going.
  • The unnecessary butt shots, uncomfortable camera angles, and poor action scene direction of the first six or so episodes seem to have left the building. Hopefully they stay gone.
  • The chairman had a line like "They'll never suspect a teacher!". Maybe if they were all functionally retarded? It'll probably only take four or so episodes, right?
  • The music is still kinda crap compared to W or Gaim or even OOO but oh well, it's not that big a deal.

I'll be watching Megamax next. It looks like there's a female Rider in it? Hopefully they don't kill her off for no reason, I've heard that's a trend with female movie-only Riders.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 16, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jonjonaug posted:

I'm continuing on with Fourze, I'm in the middle of episode 14 now.

Some thoughts:
  • I'm really liking the chemistry the cast has now that we finally have everyone introduced. Hopefully we'll be able to have some proper MOTW for a bit without having to do character intros or hamfisted character development because I think this cast would work quite well with that. I'm looking forward to good MOTW stuff like W had after it got going.
  • The unnecessary butt shots, uncomfortable camera angles, and poor action scene direction of the first six or so episodes seem to have left the building. Hopefully they stay gone.
  • The chairman had a line like "They'll never suspect a teacher!". Maybe if they were all functionally retarded? It'll probably only take four or so episodes, right?
  • The music is still kinda crap compared to W or Gaim or even OOO but oh well, it's not that big a deal.

I'll be watching Megamax next. It looks like there's a female Rider in it? Hopefully they don't kill her off for no reason, I've heard that's a trend with female movie-only Riders.
The female rider is great, but she also brings back one of the things you hated about the series. Panty shots. Just wait until she ends up getting panty shots while in her Rider form! The cast is the best thing about Fourze, although a lot of people can't stand the secondary rider during a long stretch of his introduction (I think it's roughly 10 episodes or more)

If you want spoilers about the female rider:
They kill her off :allears: but they eventually do bring her back in movies a lot later

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jonjonaug posted:

Hopefully they don't kill her off for no reason, I've heard that's a trend with female movie-only Riders.

:allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Flameingblack posted:

The female rider is great, but she also brings back one of the things you hated about the series. Panty shots. Just wait until she ends up getting panty shots while in her Rider form!

How is that even possible?

EDIT: So Sonada just attacked the main Rider outside of his costume, but with a slow acting poison and she's not going to stick around and watch him die. This is simultaneously pretty smart and incredibly stupid.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jonjonaug posted:

How is that even possible?

EDIT: So Sonada just attacked the main Rider outside of his costume, but with a slow acting poison and she's not going to stick around and watch him die. This is simultaneously pretty smart and incredibly stupid.
Thought she had a skirt, was mistaken. Expect a lot of butt shots/bust shots in her skin-tight suit instead! (The suit actress was Heat Dopant from W so you don't have to worry about man-butt at least)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The worst part is definitely the butt/thigh shots and accompanying sound effects. Outside of Directoral influence, Nadeshiko is a cool Rider.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 37 is subbed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I feel like people only like Nadeshiko because she was a girl, if she'd been a boy she really would have been generic. What exactly is her defining personality trait? That she likes Fourze? Everybody likes Fourze (eventually,) thats his whole schtick!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Then he'd be best-est buddies with Fourze and be GokaiSilverRider. Not really seeing a problem here.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I feel like people only like Nadeshiko because she was a girl, if she'd been a boy she really would have been generic. What exactly is her defining personality trait? That she likes Fourze? Everybody likes Fourze (eventually,) thats his whole schtick!

She's a space goo switch who copies everything she sees! If she had physically copied Gentaro or better yet Kengo and otherwise had the same personality, he'd have been hilarious. It would've been great to see Kengo's actor do that, actually. Also, her costume is cool.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

[*]The chairman had a line like "They'll never suspect a teacher!". Maybe if they were all functionally retarded? It'll probably only take four or so episodes, right?

He never does anything aside from sit in his chair saying "How interesting!" until the finale, so maybe people expect the teachers to be like him? :v:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I think I'm in love with Kamen Rider Black. It's about people falling prey to the darkest desires of their hearts and forging covenants with Lovecraftian sanity-sapping monstrosities... but, at the end, there's a guy with huge balls who puts an end to all this funny business by jump-kicking Nyarlathotep in the face. It's awfully satisfying.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
New Sharivan/Shaider V-Cinema!

BunnyHat posted:

Writer: Naruhisa Arakawa (Kuuga, Abaranger, Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Akibaranger)
Director: Koichi Sakamoto (Kamen Rider W A-Z, W Returns, Ultraman Zero, lead director for Fourze and Kyouru, action director for Power Rangers)

Geki Violet and Date return as New Sharivan and New Shaider.

The original Sharivan and Annie from Space Sheriff Shaider are also involved.

More Hiroaki Iwanaga :swoon:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I thought that Gavan bombed, they're doing it again? Anyways I wish they did fewer crossovers even if Sharivan and Shaider were related back in the day. Its starting to feel like Toei can't create a solid feature that stands on its own two feet without cameo appearances.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought that Gavan bombed, they're doing it again?

Gavan's performance is probably why this is going the V-Cinema route instead of being a theatrical release.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cyphoderus posted:

I think I'm in love with Kamen Rider Black. It's about people falling prey to the darkest desires of their hearts and forging covenants with Lovecraftian sanity-sapping monstrosities... but, at the end, there's a guy with huge balls who puts an end to all this funny business by jump-kicking Nyarlathotep in the face. It's awfully satisfying.

How far are you? It only gets better as it goes along. The last 15 or so episodes are some top tier stuff.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
Funny, I don't remember a karate bugman kicking me in the face...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've started watching Abaranger (Imagination Station subs) and 3 of the first 4 episodes have them coming up with some sort of actual strategy to beat the monster of the week. It's great!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I've started watching Abaranger (Imagination Station subs) and 3 of the first 4 episodes have them coming up with some sort of actual strategy to beat the monster of the week. It's great!

Still waiting for someone other than the Geki scrub people to do it.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cyphoderus posted:

I love Kamen Rider Black so drat much. Tetsuo Kurata does a fantastic job as Minami Kotaro; there isn't a whole lot going on with the character besides "drat you, Gorgom!" and being generally pleasant to everyone else, but the intensity he brings to the role is fantastic. The Kamen Rider Black suit is also great. It has a wonderful simplicity to its design (though it does bug me that the seam on the back of the torso is so sloppy during some episodes, but that's minor complaint about the show's production rather than the design). There's a whole lot of dumb stuff going on with the various monsters of the week, but it plays them so straight that the entire show has a wonderful earnestness to it.

(Also, the theme songs for the opening and credits are really good)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

Still waiting for someone other than the Geki scrub people to do it.
Pretty sure GekiDan isn't involved with it, seeing how he's dead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Pretty sure GekiDan isn't involved with it, seeing how he's dead.

Pretty sure GekiDan wasn't the guy who did the Geki scrubs. I think that was some guy called GekiAnon or some dumb poo poo like that.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pretty sure GekiDan wasn't the guy who did the Geki scrubs. I think that was some guy called GekiAnon or some dumb poo poo like that.

GekiKnight: he wanted to be a special snowflake when every scrubber and their brother was being ShowAnon (though he was also GoseiAnon at the same time, because he wanted to be a specialer snowflake and release two shows at once and blow our minds when they were done).

We literally had this conversation in this thread, by the way. Including SpiderHyphenMan getting confused about who scrubbed Gekiranger.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

We literally had this conversation in this thread, by the way. Including SpiderHyphenMan getting confused about who scrubbed Gekiranger.

Oh poo poo I remember that.

God I wish ToQger wasn't trash. May we'd have something else to talk about than literally repeating ourselves.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God I wish ToQger wasn't trash. May we'd have something else to talk about than literally repeating ourselves.

Good thing its not then? It had a slow start, but they're starting to do interesting things, and I'm really hoping Lord Emperor Zedd ends up as interesting as some of the Deboss guys were.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

AzraelNewtype posted:

Christ it's going to be lovely when leave your children the job of being Something Awful Toku Thread timekeeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Christ it's going to be lovely when leave your children the job of being Something Awful Toku Thread timekeeper.

Nah, it'll be cool when the monkey smears karate bug guts on their forehead while an Elton John song plays in the background.

• Locked thread