Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

enojy posted:

Does anyone have any luck using the Radio Shack 26-729 PSX to USB adapter with Windows 7 (and Tricoro for that matter?) Windows recognizes my IIDX controller as a USB Joystick, and is using the Motioninjoy driver I still have installed, but it doesn't show up in Gamepad Devices.

You don't need the motioninjoy drivers unless the adapter is one of the kind meant to hook a PSX/PS2 controller up to a PS3 and has a home button on the adapter itself. If it doesn't, get rid of the motioninjoy poo poo, you configure the controller directly with config.bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
This is the first time I've had the chance to do anything with rivals since I had no nearby players when the PS2 versions were still coming out. It's a pretty good motivator if you can find someone a little better than you.

EDIT: Reposting this to the new page. If Three-Phase is still around, could you add it to the OP?

Lynx Winters posted:

Sorry for the double-post but I've started a spreadsheet for Tricoro players here to find rivals on SA so it's all in one neat place instead of spread all over.

http://tinyurl.com/SATricoro

If you'd like to be on it, I just need the following:
  • DJ Name in Tricoro
  • User ID Number (Optional, but useful if you have the same DJ name as other people)
  • Which version of Tricoro you play (normal or Omnimix). If you play both, you can say which one you prefer and I'll mark it.
  • Skill level. If you have a ranking from Dan courses, please use that but you can also just say the highest level songs you can reasonably clear.

To respect the privacy of people who might not want to be in a compiled list like this, I won't go back through the thread and add the people who have already given their DJ names out. If at any time someone who has posted their info wants to be removed from the sheet, just let me know.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Lynx Winters posted:

Sorry for the double-post but I've started a spreadsheet for Tricoro players here to find rivals on SA so it's all in one neat place instead of spread all over.

http://tinyurl.com/SATricoro

If you'd like to be on it, I just need the following:
  • DJ Name in Tricoro
  • User ID Number (Optional, but useful if you have the same DJ name as other people)
  • Which version of Tricoro you play (normal or Omnimix). If you play both, you can say which one you prefer and I'll mark it.
  • Skill level. If you have a ranking from Dan courses, please use that but you can also just say the highest level songs you can reasonably clear.

To respect the privacy of people who might not want to be in a compiled list like this, I won't go back through the thread and add the people who have already given their DJ names out. If at any time someone who has posted their info wants to be removed from the sheet, just let me know.

STRIDR
6963-7668
Omnimix
SP 8th Dan, most 10s aren't a problem, most 11s are

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Have any of you worked with CAD programs before? I'd like to build out some designs for controllers (and other home projects) and I'm just looking for something simple to work with. I've heard SketchUp is pretty good but I wanted to see if any of you had experience with them.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
FORC
1993-0322 (pretty sure)
tricoro
E: SP 5dan, until I get a new controller, was 7/8 back on DistorteD

viewtyjoe fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 12, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Out of curiosity, what do you Tricoro players have your timing adjustment set at? I can't seem to dial it in. I'm at +0.5 right now, but it still feels off. Monitor test regularly returns 59.993Hz, and the game runs flawlessly with no lag or anything.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hit Effect at the result screen to see your FAST/SLOW counts. If you're getting mostly FAST then make your timing adjust more positive, if SLOW make it more negative.

The problem is that adjusting your green number also alters your FAST/SLOW balance, so try to nail that down first and only then futz with timing adjust.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OK, gotcha. I was thinking about it too hard, like do they mean "LATE" as in "make the notes hit the red line LATEr," or "the notes are LATE to hit the red line?" I didn't even know which direction to adjust in. I think I've got it set now.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

enojy posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you Tricoro players have your timing adjustment set at? I can't seem to dial it in. I'm at +0.5 right now, but it still feels off. Monitor test regularly returns 59.993Hz, and the game runs flawlessly with no lag or anything.

I'm playing with a USKOC through an old Super Joy Box 3 PS2->USB adapter and I've got an offset that averages at -2.2. Some days it's more comfortable around -1.8 and others closer to -2.8. Refresh rate locks at around 59.952. What controller/converter are you using? I'm hoping that when my Dao comes in the offset will get closer to 0.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MajorMarcus posted:

I'm playing with a USKOC through an old Super Joy Box 3 PS2->USB adapter and I've got an offset that averages at -2.2. Some days it's more comfortable around -1.8 and others closer to -2.8. Refresh rate locks at around 59.952. What controller/converter are you using? I'm hoping that when my Dao comes in the offset will get closer to 0.

I'm using a USKOC and a likewise old Radio Shack 26-729 PSX->USB adapter. It seems responsive enough after upping the USB polling rate.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

I play at +1.0 offset on a 42" LG TV via VGA and the parallel adapter that came with my Dao PE.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I'm playing with an Dao FP7 (USB), 60.0013ish monitor test, and I don't use an offset. I've been able to AAA a few of the easy 10s & it feels right.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FAST means you're hitting notes too fast (early). SLOW means you're hitting notes too slow (late).

Timing adjust alters the visual position of the notes relative to the beat. In theory, +0.0 is the amount of adjustment required for a note to appear to be sitting precisely on the red line right on the beat on an official Konami LCD (which actually lags by a fair amount, by the way, and the zero point is calibrated for this amount of lag). I guess some of the IO board latency is built into this value as well.

If your display has less lag than a Konami LCD then you'll want to use a positive timing adjust. This doesn't mean that your TV has negative lag, beacuse that would mean that your TV can see the future and display frames that haven't even been drawn yet. It means that your TV has less lag than a Konami LCD. If you think about it, a lower-latency IO board than the real one (and I'm reasonably sure that the Arcin is more responsive than the real IO board) might also cause you to make your timing adjust more positive: if you want to adjust the system so that you get a flashing great when your finger strikes the key right as the note hits the red line, then a shorter delay between the button press and the game registering the input means that the note should be hit later than it would be with a laggier IO board, and therefore should be displayed later.

This discussion then veers off into timing latency vs timing consistency and how timing consistency relates to poll rate, which is a long effort-post in its own right. The short version of that story is that <9th AC and all CS versions run IO and gameplay processing in lockstep, so the inputs really were polled at 60Hz (this has been verified on CS by sticking logic analyzer probes into a PS2's controller port). This is why USKOCs have problems with overpolled USB adapters btw, they weren't designed to operate above 60Hz and malfunction when polled more frequently.

However, gameplay+video, audio, and input all run on independent clocks on the Windows based games, so the input poll rate has to be very very high (500Hz+) otherwise you get aliasing effects. These manifest as "fuzzy" edges on the timing windows where you usually get e.g. a flashing great but sometimes get a plain great depending on the relative phase of the polling cycle and the main game loop cycle.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
So do you guys rely more on visual cues than the music itself? Maybe it's because I don't play anothers, but I tend to just listen and read the notes as they appear. If you go by the music you shouldn't need to adjust that right?

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Has anybody built a PC just for Tricoro? I picked up a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Core2Quad 3 ghz in it with 4 gigs of ram.

I also picked up an Radeon HD5450 video card and the game ran alright except for certain parts of the game running laggy. Nothing that affects game play but I'm sperging pretty hard about this and I would like it fully lagless haha. The parts that run laggy are logging in to E-Amuse and selecting Single or Double play and after you finish at the result screen.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and everything should be up to date. The HD5450 should be more than enough to run the game so I'm not sure what's happening here.

Anyone else encounter this problem? If there's no real solution then I'll just deal with it but it'd be nice to have it working fully.

EDIT: Also, How much space does Omnimix take up?

infinite99 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 14, 2014

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
SEEDYV
9813-7148
Omnimix
SP 7th dan, working back up to clearing 9s and 10s.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

infinite99 posted:

Has anybody built a PC just for Tricoro? I picked up a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Core2Quad 3 ghz in it with 4 gigs of ram.

I also picked up an Radeon HD5450 video card and the game ran alright except for certain parts of the game running laggy. Nothing that affects game play but I'm sperging pretty hard about this and I would like it fully lagless haha. The parts that run laggy are logging in to E-Amuse and selecting Single or Double play and after you finish at the result screen.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and everything should be up to date. The HD5450 should be more than enough to run the game so I'm not sure what's happening here.

Anyone else encounter this problem? If there's no real solution then I'll just deal with it but it'd be nice to have it working fully.

EDIT: Also, How much space does Omnimix take up?

actually no. The Tricoro machine itself uses a E4690 which is basically a HD4650 which is actually considerably more powerful than a 5450. A 5450 can handle most of Tricoro fine without stuttering but if you can live with the E-Amuse screen and results screen being choppy, it's fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

glompix posted:

So do you guys rely more on visual cues than the music itself? Maybe it's because I don't play anothers, but I tend to just listen and read the notes as they appear. If you go by the music you shouldn't need to adjust that right?

I don't even know anymore! All I can tell you is that my timing goes completely bonkers when a song devolves into just a kick-snare beat on two keys, but I think my game's timing/syncing is off. This only happened rarely on CS versions, but on Tricoro, I fear songs with that kind of chart.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just got Tricoro (sans Omnimix) linked to PSun and I am really bad, I'm on keyboard since I'm not sure about getting a controller yet (and if I do it's going to be a US KOC). I keep hearing some of the level 1-2 songs are kind of misleading. What's the best way to get started besides just doing Step Up since that doesn't really add much to my ranking?

e: also I hope I'm not the only one who uses the TAG menu theme

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 16, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think the only tip I can give you at the beginning stages is to make yourself familiar with hi-speed mods and a mod called Sudden+. Disregard the name; it just gives you an adjustable cover for the top end of the notes, which can cover as much or as little space as you'd like. To adjust it, you pick your song, and then hold the Start button. The upper and lower rows of keys make the hi-speed modifier faster and slower respectively, and the cover can be adjusted with the turntable.

I'm not sure what kind of speed to recommend, but ideally, something that gives you just enough time to recognize what key to hit and enough leftover milliseconds to try and match it up to the beat/red line. It's unfortunately just a slow, sluggish game to start out with. Once the notes start to feel too slow, bump up the hi-speed mod a notch. Finally, I believe that green number on the note cover is supposed to be your adjusted BPM note speed, based on what hi-speed mod you're using, combined with how much of the lane you're covering. You want to try and match that up between songs, for the sake of maintaining momentum.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Tricoro is the first time I've messed with Sudden+ because turning it on activates a floating hi-speed that adjusts automatically. My only problem with it is that it makes songs that start slow and speed up later a huge pain because to get it to re-adjust you have to disable and re-enable the cover mid-song.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Lynx Winters posted:

Tricoro is the first time I've messed with Sudden+ because turning it on activates a floating hi-speed that adjusts automatically. My only problem with it is that it makes songs that start slow and speed up later a huge pain because to get it to re-adjust you have to disable and re-enable the cover mid-song.

No you don't. You just need to hold the start button and move the turntable just a little bit. It will readjust immediately.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

You deserve a medal.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Maaan I just can't do Sudden at all, but I can't live without high speed. If the notes are too dense, my idiot brain just can't differentiate them right and I do terrible. High speed helps split them up, and I can handle moderate speed increases [generally the high 2.x speeds in Tricoro unless the song is just ridiculously low bpm].

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

kimcicle posted:

No you don't. You just need to hold the start button and move the turntable just a little bit. It will readjust immediately.
I'm so close to clearing D SPH thanks to this. You guys all need to learn this trick.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cool, now enjoy doing the same for Fascination MaxX :unsmigghh:

actually it only really comes down to whether you can do the jacks at the end and then stumble through the 400BPM ending. That momentary slowdown near the end is loving obnoxious though and shaves off like 20% of your life every time.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I know about the hi-speed adjustment, didn't know you could fine tune it until I watched someone do it on a stream. My main issue is sometimes I forget the key locations and on songs with huge amounts of notes I just get confused, end up spastically hitting the keys and that gets me a bunch of BADs/POORs.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Zeether posted:

I know about the hi-speed adjustment, didn't know you could fine tune it until I watched someone do it on a stream. My main issue is sometimes I forget the key locations and on songs with huge amounts of notes I just get confused, end up spastically hitting the keys and that gets me a bunch of BADs/POORs.
That is basically the first thing you learn in a music game. It's just going to take practice until your fingers naturally hit the right buttons. If the keyboard is confusing you, maybe get a spare and remove all keys but the ones you use for IIDX, I've seen that before.

The huge amount of notes confusing you will need practice to learn to read them. You know about hi speed and sudden+ already, so you should be tweaking that to see if it makes stuff better. Sometimes I go quite high on the hi speed to where I'm not really "reading" a chart but I'm reacting with pure reflexes to what's coming down the lane. But until you are comfortable with knowing which key is where, that probably won't work for you right now.

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 16, 2014

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I played so much DDR when I was younger that left-down-up-right is forever burned into my brain. I'm still learning how to sight-read IIDX charts.

I also learned IIDX without using my thumbs which is a biiig handicap for me. I hit a wall pretty hard at mid-9. When I get back into IIDX, I'm probably going to start from scratch with easier songs and use my thumbs more. Having to re-learn sucks, but it's way better than trying to play IIDX with eight fingers.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Overuse your thumbs for an hour or two and then you'll get the hang of it. I did the same thing while breaking into 12s; spent a couple of hours forcing myself to hit 4 with my left index finger as much as possible and then went and demolished nine 12*s in the space of two hours.

About the time when you start using thumbs you should also start using Random. It'll be lovely and unfun for a while but then it'll get fun again once you're more flexible about the patterns you can hit, trust me. Also you'll be able to progress beyond 10*.

As for reading, eh it's kind of like learning to read text. First you read one letter at a time, then words, then you can insta-scan sentences. Same sort of concept applies for IIDX charts. You don't see 1,2,3,4,5 you see the group of motions required to hit that particular scale as a single unit, if that makes any sense. After a while you end up looking "through" the chart instead of at it. It's quite weird.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DizzyBum posted:

I played so much DDR when I was younger that left-down-up-right is forever burned into my brain. I'm still learning how to sight-read IIDX charts.

I also learned IIDX without using my thumbs which is a biiig handicap for me. I hit a wall pretty hard at mid-9. When I get back into IIDX, I'm probably going to start from scratch with easier songs and use my thumbs more. Having to re-learn sucks, but it's way better than trying to play IIDX with eight fingers.

Oh god, I remember that. I vaguely remember playing a ton of Stepmania (and of course, DDR) before I knew what IIDX was. My first foray into IIDX was some BMS charts on a simulator (Lunatic Rave probably) and I distinctly remember playing with just my index and middle fingers, as it was on a keyboard. It took a real long time to work my thumbs into the equation on a real controller.

Zeether posted:

That's the slow part, sadly. Or, as my old roommates would lovingly refer to it, "ding-ding fingers," where there's just so many notes coming at once, your hands just sort of lock up and start flailing and slapping the controller. What difficulties are you playing? Try sorting the list by Level 1 and/or Level 2 (press a black [upper row] key in the song selection screen to back out of the default Tricoro category.)

I wish I could recommend some songs to try, but my memory of easier notecharts is not so great. I know for a fact that a song called 5.1.1 should be pretty helpful & easy to muster. I used it myself as a training tool, and played it over and over until I could full combo it without looking at the keys.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 17, 2014

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Came home from work and my rainbow portable 2 controller was here already. Ordered it last thursday. Will post more once I get some time on it

Edit- well. Button 5 doesn't work. Lights up but doesn't register as a button push. Not sure how to take this stuff apart.

Edit 2- there was a empty port for the wires so I just plugged button 5 into it and now it works.

incorporeal fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 17, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

enojy posted:

That's the slow part, sadly. Or, as my old roommates would lovingly refer to it, "ding-ding fingers," where there's just so many notes coming at once, your hands just sort of lock up and start flailing and slapping the controller. What difficulties are you playing? Try sorting the list by Level 1 and/or Level 2 (press a black [upper row] key in the song selection screen to back out of the default Tricoro category.)

I wish I could recommend some songs to try, but my memory of easier notecharts is not so great. I know for a fact that a song called 5.1.1 should be pretty helpful & easy to muster. I used it myself as a training tool, and played it over and over until I could full combo it without looking at the keys.
I tried Beginner stuff before finding out it wouldn't count on my stats, so I went to Normal and tried ZERO (the one with the robots and the various Tricoro characters) and was awful at it because I expected it to be easy since I tried it on Beginner and did well.

I think I tried 5.1.1 once. Is that one of those piano tracks?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

On tricoro how do you make it so you just play for a set amount of time? Instead of number of songs

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

A couple pages back there was a list of hex edits, you want the one to activate Premium Free. You could also apply the one to stop the timer in Premium Free, for infinite free mode.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lynx Winters posted:

A couple pages back there was a list of hex edits, you want the one to activate Premium Free. You could also apply the one to stop the timer in Premium Free, for infinite free mode.

I found it. What the heck file am I hexin'? I suspect I don't have all songs unlocked.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

If you are not running Omnimix, you want bm2dx.dll. If you are running Omnimix, it'll be bm2dx_omni.dll and bm2dx_orig.dll for whichever version you want it to apply to. I don't think you need to do it to both versions if you're running Omnimix, but I did just to be sure.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I know this is sort of the all purpose music game thread. If none of you are watching Storm you are missing out on an incredibly competitive ITG tournament. I can't stand playing the game anymore and I am still having a hell of a fun time watching it go down.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was there yesterday! I wanted to stay for all three days, but I had other people in tow who needed to be home today. It was a lot of fun, especially since it wasn't at an arcade for once. Now I'm watching the stream and I want to go back. :-(

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

enojy posted:

I was there yesterday! I wanted to stay for all three days, but I had other people in tow who needed to be home today. It was a lot of fun, especially since it wasn't at an arcade for once. Now I'm watching the stream and I want to go back. :-(

I didn't see you, though I admit I probably wouldn't recognize you anymore since the last time I saw you was at the old Nexus. I am currently in the finals for NBA Jam TE. Pump was absolutely stacked and I didn't bother entering.