Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Rings of Life Protection have nothing to do with Soul Memory whatsoever. They're just a convenience thing.

They do in a sort of roundabout way. If you keep your souls when you die, you don't have to regain them if you lose them; I.E., if you lose 1000 souls because you died, gaining those 1000 back adds it to your soul memory, but if you die while you're wearing the ring you keep the 1000 souls with no addition to SM. It's kind of a moot point because then you have to spend some of the souls to fix the ring anyway, which you then inevitably gain back, but I can see the logic in it in theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Man, are the servers down again?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

They do in a sort of roundabout way. If you keep your souls when you die, you don't have to regain them if you lose them; I.E., if you lose 1000 souls because you died, gaining those 1000 back adds it to your soul memory, but if you die while you're wearing the ring you keep the 1000 souls with no addition to SM. It's kind of a moot point because then you have to spend some of the souls to fix the ring anyway, which you then inevitably gain back, but I can see the logic in it in theory.

Picking up your blood stain doesn't add to your SM. Which may not be what you're saying, but it could be read that way, it's kind of ambiguous.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just gonna link what a friend sent me.

krillin from Dragonball
Aug 8, 2013
Is the dragonslayer spear any good? I'm running a faith/dex build and don't want to waste dragon bones on it only to find out that the heide spear is better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So between my dark Rebel's Greatshield and Disc Chime, I'm nearly impervious to all forms of vile sorcery. Sometimes when I invaded a mage I like to just sit there and let them throw spells at me for a little bit just so they can see how futile it is. I've even had people prostrate themselves right in front of me afterwards! :haw:

I still kill them of course, but at least they know their place.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just gonna link what a friend sent me.

gently caress gekkos in this game. I don't get why they changed it so you have to loot their corpses rather than the items being auto added like in Dark Souls. Killed a gekko in Tseldora, but I fell off the ledge it was on before looting it. No way back up to the ledge without teleporting, which would make the corpse disappear. So I didn't get my sweet loot :mad:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Picking up your blood stain doesn't add to your SM. Which may not be what you're saying, but it could be read that way, it's kind of ambiguous.

Souls lost when you lose a bloodstain are still counted in your SM.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

gently caress gekkos in this game. I don't get why they changed it so you have to loot their corpses rather than the items being auto added like in Dark Souls. Killed a gekko in Tseldora, but I fell off the ledge it was on before looting it. No way back up to the ledge without teleporting, which would make the corpse disappear. So I didn't get my sweet loot :mad:

I've killed them so that they fell off ledges, or through a bridge, and lost the corpse forever. It's great.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Covenant of Blood PVP has singlehandedly rekindled my interest in the game. Unbalanced shenanigans and crappy poise aside there's something gratifying about using the great clubs second R2 to knock someone off a bridge, or to Avelyn some guy chain casting spells. I see a lot more variety here than I did dueling people at Iron Keep and after getting some orbs; I'll probably slog through NG+.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

So between my dark Rebel's Greatshield and Disc Chime, I'm nearly impervious to all forms of vile sorcery. Sometimes when I invaded a mage I like to just sit there and let them throw spells at me for a little bit just so they can see how futile it is. I've even had people prostrate themselves right in front of me afterwards! :haw:

I still kill them of course, but at least they know their place.

It was nice of them to also add the lizards in as many annoying areas full of enemies as possible too. So you try to kill the lizard and get stunlocked. Try to kill the dudes and the lizard gets spooked.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dragon Aerie lizards are the number one reason to always have ranged attacks, gently caress those lizards forever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Iron Keep lizard ran off into the lava just as it died from my arrow, thus vaporizing my reward forever.

Not gonna lie I was pretty mad :shepicide:

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Huh, so you can totally fight The Pursuer in iron keep as your first Pursuer fight

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Good time for the classic DeS comic

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

In an absolutely bizarre form of gameplay mechanic regression, I think this is how it originally worked in Dark Souls 1, along with severed dragon tails as well. Then they realized how asinine that was and patched it so they dumped straight to your inventory with the PC version.

Then they kicked it to the curb in DS2? Weird is the only way to describe it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dark Souls Bosses:

Asylum Demon: Fat Humanoid Demon ✓
Bed Of Chaos: Tree Arms
Gargoyles: Gargoyles
Kalameet: Dragon
Capra Demon: Tall Humanoid Demon ✓
Discharge: Tall Humanoid Demon ✓
Centipede Demon: Creepy Bug
Quelaag: Human/Animal Hybrid
Priscilla: Tall Humanoid ✓
Gwyndolin: Tall Humanoid ✓
Demon Firesage: Fat Humanoid Demon ✓
O&S: Tall Humanoid(s) ✓
Four Kings: Tall Humanoid ✓
Gaping Dragon: Dragon
Nito: Skeletons
Gwyn: Tall Humanoid (With Crown) ✓
Iron Golem: Tall Humanoid ✓
Artorias: Tall Humanoid ✓
Manus: Weird darkness thing
Moonlight Butterfly: Butterfly
Pinwheel: Tall Humanoid ✓
Sanctuary Guardian: Manticore
Seath: Dragon
Sif: Dog
Stray Demon: Fat Humanoid Demon ✓
Taurus Demon: Tall Humanoid Demon ✓

14/26 Humanoid (53.8%)

Dark Souls II Bosses:

Last Giant: Tall Humanoid ✓
The Pursuer: Tall Humanoid ✓
Executioner's Chariot: Horse
Looking Glass Knight: Tall Humanoid ✓
Skeleton Lords: Skeletons
Flexile Sentry: Tall Humanoid ✓
Lost Sinner: Tall Humanoid ✓
Ruin Sentinels: Tall Humanoid(s) ✓
Royal Rat Vanguard: Rat
Royal Rat Authority: Rat
Scorpioness Najka: Human/Animal Hybrid
Freja: Creepy Bug
Mytha: Medusa/Humanoid ✓
The Rotten: Mass Of Dudes
Dragonslayer: Tall Humanoid ✓
Covetous Demon: Jabba The Hutt Demon
Smelter Demon: Humanoid Demon ✓
Old Iron King: Balrog/Fire Arms
Guardian Dragon: Dragon
Demon of Song: :gonk: Frog
Velstadt: Tall Humanoid ✓
Vendrick: Tall Humanoid (With Crown) ✓
Darklurker: Tall Humanoid ✓
Dragonrider(s): Humanoid(s) ✓
Prowling Magus: Humanoid(s) ✓
Giant Lord: Tall Humanoid (With Crown) ✓
Ancient Dragon: Dragon
Throne Watcher/Defender: Tall Humanoid ✓
Nashandra: Weird darkness thing

16/30 Humanoid (53.3%)

Game Set And Match, "Dark Souls 2 has too many boring humanoid bosses" guys!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Is it better to Mundane or Raw an Avelyn?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Dragon Aerie was the first area where I eventually just said gently caress it, and started abusing the poo poo out of poison arrows. Never looked back.

Kaldaris posted:

Depends on soul level/stat distribution.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 15, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

How is Nashandra not a Tall Humanoid, to be fair

I call bullshit on the scientificness of this comparison that I have no investment in the outcome of! :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey so should I infuse my Thorned Greatsword with lightning on my PvP character? I didn't think I could infuse it before now, but apparently I can. I'm buffing it with sunlight weapon, which should still work with the infusion and improve it right? Just want to make sure before I spend my boltstone.

Kaldaris posted:

Depends if you have a character that can support a mundane build. Mundane does crazy damage but requires a really high SM. Raw is probably better for most characters.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

In an absolutely bizarre form of gameplay mechanic regression, I think this is how it originally worked in Dark Souls 1, along with severed dragon tails as well. Then they realized how asinine that was and patched it so they dumped straight to your inventory with the PC version.

Then they kicked it to the curb in DS2? Weird is the only way to describe it.

I feel like there are little things like this riddled throughout Dark Souls 2.

Having to return to the Herald to level is very similar, especially since any time you're at a bonfire you can just go back to Majula for free without losing progress.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Dark Souls Bosses:

Asylum Demon: Fat Humanoid Demon ✓
Bed Of Chaos: Tree Arms
Kalameet: Dragon
Capra Demon: Tall Humanoid Demon ✓
Discharge: Tall Humanoid Demon ✓
Centipede Demon: Creepy Bug
Quelaag: Human/Animal Hybrid
Priscilla: Tall Humanoid ✓
Gwyndolin: Tall Humanoid ✓
Demon Firesage: Fat Humanoid Demon ✓
O&S: Tall Humanoid(s) ✓
Four Kings: Tall Humanoid ✓
Gaping Dragon: Dragon
Nito: Skeletons
Gwyn: Tall Humanoid (With Crown) ✓
Iron Golem: Tall Humanoid ✓
Artorias: Tall Humanoid ✓
Manus: Weird darkness thing
Moonlight Butterfly: Butterfly
Pinwheel: Tall Humanoid ✓
Sanctuary Guardian: Manticore
Seath: Dragon
Sif: Dog
Stray Demon: Fat Humanoid Demon ✓
Taurus Demon: Tall Humanoid Demon ✓

14/26 Humanoid (53.8%)

Dark Souls II Bosses:

Last Giant: Tall Humanoid ✓
The Pursuer: Tall Humanoid ✓
Executioner's Chariot: Horse
Looking Glass Knight: Tall Humanoid ✓
Skeleton Lords: Skeletons
Flexile Sentry: Tall Humanoid ✓
Lost Sinner: Tall Humanoid ✓
Ruin Sentinels: Tall Humanoid(s) ✓
Royal Rat Vanguard: Rat
Royal Rat Authority: Rat
Scorpioness Najka: Human/Animal Hybrid
Freja: Creepy Bug
Mytha: Medusa/Humanoid ✓
The Rotten: Mass Of Dudes
Dragonslayer: Tall Humanoid ✓
Covetous Demon: Jabba The Hutt Demon
Smelter Demon: Humanoid Demon ✓
Old Iron King: Balrog/Fire Arms
Guardian Dragon: Dragon
Demon of Song: :gonk: Frog
Velstadt: Tall Humanoid ✓
Vendrick: Tall Humanoid (With Crown) ✓
Darklurker: Tall Humanoid ✓
Dragonrider(s): Humanoid(s) ✓
Prowling Magus: Humanoid(s) ✓
Giant Lord: Tall Humanoid (With Crown) ✓
Ancient Dragon: Dragon
Throne Watcher/Defender: Tall Humanoid ✓
Nashandra: Weird darkness thing

16/30 Humanoid (53.3%)

Isn't Royal Rat Authority a dog

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Captain Oblivious posted:

How is Nashandra not a Tall Humanoid, to be fair

I call bullshit on the scientificness of this comparison that I have no investment in the outcome of! :colbert:

If she's Humanoid then so is Manus so the result is the same, basically.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I kinda miss the "Dragon tail" mechanics from DS1. Could have made some of the bosses a bit more interesting by giving you optional "objetives" on them if you want some unique equipment.

As far as I am aware, the only boss that has that mechanic in DS2 is The Rotten, and all he drops is a Pharros Lockstone.

Edit: Skeleton lords are basically just a bunch of tall humanoids.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

Isn't Royal Rat Authority a dog

RRA is basically a half aborted child that survived between Syf and Capra Demon.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

nerdy effort post

lol if the naga counts then so does queelag/scorpionchick

nashandra too

i think stray demon is pushing it, and oik is like a bigger taurus demon so

Broken Cog posted:

I kinda miss the "Dragon tail" mechanics from DS1. Could have made some of the bosses a bit more interesting by giving you optional "objetives" on them if you want some unique equipment.

As far as I am aware, the only boss that has that mechanic in DS2 is The Rotten, and all he drops is a Pharros Lockstone.

I tried so hard to do the dragon tail poo poo on the covetous demon, gently caress

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Broken Cog posted:

Scorpioness and Mytha can also lose tails, Freja can lose head.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

Scorpioness and Mytha can also lose tails.

But it doesn't drop any phat loots, only makes them spam their annoying as hell spells more.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Covenant of Blood PVP has singlehandedly rekindled my interest in the game. Unbalanced shenanigans and crappy poise aside there's something gratifying about using the great clubs second R2 to knock someone off a bridge, or to Avelyn some guy chain casting spells. I see a lot more variety here than I did dueling people at Iron Keep and after getting some orbs; I'll probably slog through NG+.

Now that I min/maxed my sorcerer to near maximum bullshit potential I'm enjoying the red soapstone more then the dragon sign, neither of us are gonna be chugging estus so the lack of healing doesn't matter, I actually look forward to being summoned into a 1vs2 or 1vs3 since it's a 50/50 if I win if I play right, so long as I can make it inside the iron keep I can start picking them off one by one, one host even resummoned more shades and phantoms after I killed one and the host ran to chug estus, he summoned a infinite HP guy but managed to reach the host before he became a problem.

Tip if you get summoned into a bullshit 1vs3 situation in the iron keep, make a run for the pharros lock across from the smelter demon door, the healing water will heal red phantoms too and stacks with warmth.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Babyface Mingo posted:

lol if the naga counts then so does queelag/scorpionchick

nashandra too

i think stray demon is pushing it, and oik is like a bigger taurus demon so

I tried so hard to do the dragon tail poo poo on the covetous demon, gently caress

Quelaag and Najka are more non-human than human.

OIK is just Arms: The Boss like Bed.

I will not have the scientificness of my post questioned!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If she's Humanoid then so is Manus so the result is the same, basically.

Wouldn't necessarily agree. Manus is hunched and maneuvers like a gorilla. Nashandra maneuvers...like a Tall Humanoid. In addition to looking like one.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck, kill it and take it's Lord Soul.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Ignoring the "FAT HUMANOID DEMON" cop out, the bigger problem with dark souls was their generic behavior; not simply their shape. The prevailing complaint for DS2 bosses is "too many armored dudes that behave like the player (IE Gwyn, Artorias).

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
listen let me correct you and tell you why dark souls 2 has uhh actually lot more humanoid bosses (and therefore is a lesser game) than dark souls 1, ..

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turtlecrunch posted:

Scorpioness and Mytha can also lose tails, Freja can lose head.

Yeah, but you don't really get anything for it. I know you can chop the tail off the Guardian Dragon as well.

Also, I think Freja can literally become unkillable if you somehow manage to chop off both her heads before she dies.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The problem isn't with the concept of humanoid bosses. What people are complaining about are "dudes in medieval armor that you circle strafe to the right." Nobody's complaining about the last giant, after all. He was cool as hell. At least Dark Souls had the decency to let me circlestrafe something cool looking.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm gonna be honest, I tend to like the humanoid bosses more than the monstrous ones. They do well to break it up a little but I prefer more mirror-match style confrontations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Babyface Mingo posted:

listen let me correct you and tell you why dark souls 2 has uhh actually lot more humanoid bosses (and therefore is a lesser game) than dark souls 1, ..

Yeah I basically was sick of my friend saying that to me constantly.

It's okay to not like it as much but come on. Big Humanoids are normal fantasy fare. Next they'll complain about there being too many dragons.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yeah I basically was sick of my friend saying that to me constantly.

It's okay to not like it as much but come on. Big Humanoids are normal fantasy fare. Next they'll complain about there being too many dragons.

The problem is that most of them are very boring. Last Giant is a good example of a boss that's visually interesting, and I think if you asked people a couple of years from now, that's the one most will remember. (That he is the first boss will probably play a big part as well, but I don't think many are going to give much of a poo poo about Dragonrider.)
Bosses like Royal rat Authority, Smelter Demon, and Demon of Song are probably also some that are going to stick, just because of how they're presented. Sentinels might be remembered too because it's the first boss to give people serious problems.

The rest of the bosses (Including Nashandra) are just absolutely... dull. I barely remembered I had fought the Skeleton Lords 10 minutes into Harvest Valley, and the entire Earthen Peak -> OIK is completely unremarkable.

The bosses in DS1 had a lot of problems, especially design-wise, but they had some really cool visuals and presentation most of the time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Executioner's Chariot is still the best and most memorable boss fight and I will hear no arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Imposter posted:

Is the dragonslayer spear any good? I'm running a faith/dex build and don't want to waste dragon bones on it only to find out that the heide spear is better.

It's poo poo. It's base damage is so low and because scaling is bad the Heide Spear will always be better. You also can't infuse it with lightning like you can the Heide Spear. It has cool lightning bolt r2s but because of the low lightning damage they're really weak.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey so should I infuse my Thorned Greatsword with lightning on my PvP character? I didn't think I could infuse it before now, but apparently I can. I'm buffing it with sunlight weapon, which should still work with the infusion and improve it right? Just want to make sure before I spend my boltstone.

Elemental is always the best for PVP so yes. Especially so if you plan on buffing it.