Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm luckily in a very high demand field right now, I tease her all the time cause I basically don't have to job search. That's why I gave her the option to pick where we move cause it'll be more of a struggle for her to find work.

I think she'll find something sooner rather than later she went to a good school and has some solid experience, even if it's not her ideal position. She's definetly feeling the stress though, a lot of her friends/classmates seemed to have landed jobs by now.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Popete posted:

I'm luckily in a very high demand field right now, I tease her all the time cause I basically don't have to job search. That's why I gave her the option to pick where we move cause it'll be more of a struggle for her to find work.

I think she'll find something sooner rather than later she went to a good school and has some solid experience, even if it's not her ideal position. She's definetly feeling the stress though, a lot of her friends/classmates seemed to have landed jobs by now.

Is she graduating from Northwestern like I am? I also had to end up choosing between the Illinois and New York bars (chose New York). Am going to study here in Chicago with Barbri and move to DC after the summer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
UW Madison, she is also doing the Barbri course.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Popete posted:

Yeah, that is a good school. Having a committed income-earning rock to live with while she's looking for work is going to be a big help for her and make the process a lot less miserable, I think. This might stop being true if it takes more than six months or so though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Help I'm addicted to overtime

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol non-exempt

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Popete posted:

Is she getting barred in Wisconsin as well? Or did she not take the core curriculum stuff? Or doesn't want to pay $X to be licensed there?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

Is she getting barred in Wisconsin as well? Or did she not take the core curriculum stuff? Or doesn't want to pay $X to be licensed there?

My limited understanding is that she would not need to take the bar here because she is graduating from Madison, though I'm sure there are licensing fees that's not too much of an issue. We just both have a desire to move out of state to a bigger city. My family is originally from the Chicago area and hers from Detroit. My brother and one of her sisters also live in New York so we have some connections in both cities.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Popete posted:

My limited understanding is that she would not need to take the bar here because she is graduating from Madison, though I'm sure there are licensing fees that's not too much of an issue. We just both have a desire to move out of state to a bigger city. My family is originally from the Chicago area and hers from Detroit. My brother and one of her sisters also live in New York so we have some connections in both cities.

To get diploma privilege, you have to take a certain set of classes (not many) and pay a few fees. It's really easy though if you're at all interested in Wisconsin or just want the free pass.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Yeah, I was more recommending it as a fall-back in case of worst-case scenario with bar passage. Might look better on a resume to be barred in at least one jurisdiction.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If a family member wants me to help them patent something and I don't want to refer them to my firm because my scuzzy partners will bill them a zillion dollars would I be stepping on any ethical landmines by helping them do up a spec and filing it myself? Would it still be considered moonlighting if I didn't take any money for it beyond the filing fees? All I can find with some [Google] research is that it may be against my firm's employment agreement but I can't even remember if such a thing exists, let alone where it would be, and if they want to fire me for doing work for my family for free, I am just about burnt out enough to shrug it off at this point v:shobon:v

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elotana posted:

If a family member wants me to help them patent something and I don't want to refer them to my firm because my scuzzy partners will bill them a zillion dollars would I be stepping on any ethical landmines by helping them do up a spec and filing it myself? Would it still be considered moonlighting if I didn't take any money for it beyond the filing fees? All I can find with some [Google] research is that it may be against my firm's employment agreement but I can't even remember if such a thing exists, let alone where it would be, and if they want to fire me for doing work for my family for free, I am just about burnt out enough to shrug it off at this point v:shobon:v
I'm too lazy to look up any rules right now, but I don't see how pro bono work could reasonably be considered moonlighting.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ersatz posted:

I'm too lazy to look up any rules right now, but I don't see how pro bono work could reasonably be considered moonlighting.

It probably creates a conflicts issue for your firm, though, since your personal conflicts are imputed.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I would think the firm would have a colorable concern re: conflicts, malpractice, etc. even if no fee is taken...

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kalman posted:

It probably creates a conflicts issue for your firm, though, since your personal conflicts are imputed.
That makes sense. My firm actually encourages pro bono patent work for individual inventors who aren't filthy rich. If Elotana's firm is anything like mine it sounds like it's just a matter of requesting permission from a partner who isn't a dick and then running a conflict.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Just turned in my last paper of law school. I walked on Saturday. :suicide:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I've been doing my first document review for the past month. It's an audio review using Consilio for a standard 40 hour a week at 23/hr. It's expected to run through the rest of the summer at least. Honestly I'm rather enjoying it. Not only am I getting paid more than I was when I worked for a real law firm, but the work is way easier. I can even read a book during static or long repetitive files and I've already worked my way through 2 books and I'm working on my third.

Maybe it's not a normal experience but aside from it being somewhat dull work, it's rather enjoyable and it goes by quickly.

The downsides, of course, are that there really isn't any room for advancement, and projects can normally end with little notice and you can end up without work for a bit. But if I move down here permanently there's plenty of companies doing document review work that there should be plenty of stuff available pretty much at all times.

I dunno, aside from the lack of advancement, this is a pretty good gig all things considered.
Anyone else have any thoughts on doc review?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I've been doing my first document review for the past month. It's an audio review using Consilio for a standard 40 hour a week at 23/hr. It's expected to run through the rest of the summer at least. Honestly I'm rather enjoying it. Not only am I getting paid more than I was when I worked for a real law firm, but the work is way easier. I can even read a book during static or long repetitive files and I've already worked my way through 2 books and I'm working on my third.

Maybe it's not a normal experience but aside from it being somewhat dull work, it's rather enjoyable and it goes by quickly.

The downsides, of course, are that there really isn't any room for advancement, and projects can normally end with little notice and you can end up without work for a bit. But if I move down here permanently there's plenty of companies doing document review work that there should be plenty of stuff available pretty much at all times.

I dunno, aside from the lack of advancement, this is a pretty good gig all things considered.

Holy poo poo

Replace the OP with this post in its entirety and nothing else

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I know multiple people who are way way happier doing doc review projects essentially on a permanent basis than they ever were practicing in firms.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
A partner bought me a vanilla milkshake at Dennys today. :)

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I have the most hours out of all of the first-years but these facts are unrelated.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I'm an entrepreneur. My business partner and I have a real lawyer, at a firm in a penthouse suite, and he charges us the "friend's rate" of $250 / hour.

Let's say I need legal research done. Could I go to one of the many local law schools and find a student to provide us legal research / advice, pay them a much smaller rate, and then have the expensive lawyer look it over to approve it?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's decent mindless easy money... except for the volatility.

Ignore all forecasts for how long a project should last. It's 100% all a loving lie. The lead on the project is actively being lied to by trial counsel. You could get fired tomorrow, or the thing could last for years. If you do doc review enough, you will get left high and dry at some point, guaranteed. If you can swing that, it's fine.

The volume of documents available to review is irrelevant. It's just a bunch of pre-trial posturing bullshit, a game of chicken to see which client blinks first. If your project "gets really hot" and they hire 20 new people like it's a safe project... that really means they're putting on pressure to settle, and you could be fired within 10 days. They don't give the slightest poo poo about hiring and firing back-to-back. When you are fired, it is with zero notice. Like you show up, and your computer login doesn't work, and they tell you to go home.

I did doc review for a year after law school, then started bankruptcy. Now I have filed many bankruptcies for my former coworkers that tried to ride it out with doc review. Without a rich spouse or trust fund, it's not a job that can keep a family afloat (outside of the NY market, which I've heard is sustainable).

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 15, 2014

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The Chicago market is sustainable as well, as it's only a bit less pay than NY but far less living expenses. In three years of doing doc review ( I graduated in 08, woops), I never pulled in over 50k (even when including the money I got from unemployment between projects), despite working every available hour every time. I always made sure to max out hours early in the week in case of projects getting cancelled, etc, but the more doc review you do, the more you end up conflicting out of other projects. On the other hand, a good friend of mine had his second project last three years and counting, so there's absolutely no way to know. It's going to be inevitably outsourced more and more, so it's kind of silly to do as a career unless you're just looking to kill time before going back to grad school in another field. On the plus side, I never had work dreams when doing it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Ersatz posted:

If Elotana's firm is anything like mine it sounds like it's just a matter of requesting permission from a partner who isn't a dick
Yyyyyeah my firm isn't anything like yours

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

_areaman posted:

I'm an entrepreneur. My business partner and I have a real lawyer, at a firm in a penthouse suite, and he charges us the "friend's rate" of $250 / hour.

Let's say I need legal research done. Could I go to one of the many local law schools and find a student to provide us legal research / advice, pay them a much smaller rate, and then have the expensive lawyer look it over to approve it?

No, because law students are not lawyers and cannot have clients. Pay your loving lawyer, 250 / hr is a good price if he's competent.

Law students are also poo poo at legal research, so it would probably take a real lawyer even longer to review than if he just did it himself in the first place.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

_areaman posted:

I am a racecar driver. My co-driver and I have a real engine builder, with his own shop, and he charges us the "friend's rate" of $250 / hour.

Let's say I want some work done on the cylinder heads. Could I go to one of the many local vo-tech schools and find a student to do the head work, pay them a much smaller rate, and then have the expensive engine builder look over it to approve it?

No. It's also a good way to lose the friend's rate.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Holy poo poo

Replace the OP with this post in its entirety and nothing else

So, doc review is like being Marvin the Paranoid Android? Vastly over educated, depressed at doing nothing but menial tasks forever, and knowing that something bad is always going to happen to you?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
In addition to the "fun" of doc review:

mastershakeman posted:

the more doc review you do, the more you end up conflicting out of other projects
The fun of conflicts... The majority of doc review is asbestos, car poo poo, and big pharma. It's pretty easy to get conflicted out, and firms want to pee on their regular staff to mark their territory.

Imagine this is you:

You've been out of work for 2 months and the cat food bowls are getting empty. You get a frantic call that a project is starting tomorrow. "Really big project for GM/Ford/whatever, potential to last for many months". They always say that, it's always a lie. But who cares it's a job! You can hardly sleep thinking about the possibilities. You wear a suit to a loving doc review job. Maybe you'll impress somebody with your sharp distinctions between meaningless poo poo, and get hired on as an associate!

You show up and spend 2 days talking about the exact literal definition of a seat belt. Does the word harness count? What about buckle-up safety material? On day 3, you show up but the door is locked to the doc review room. It turns out you're fired. And no, you will not be paid for the morning of day 3, but you must stick around because Marge from HR will be down in 30 (90) minutes to get you to sign a form.

You call your agency to see if any projects are about to pop. Strangely enough, the rival firm across town just got a giant GM/Ford/whatever case. Too bad that you're conflicted out, because this one will actually last 2 years for a staff of 150. But your firm decided to purposefully conflict you to maintain their stable of doc review cattle. The only question left is body armor or no body armor for the shooting spree.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Firms also intentionally start/finish projects to gently caress with your unemployment. It's pretty amusing how evil it is.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm watching Fannie Mae's tutorial about Sovereign Citizens. Here's the picture used to identify them:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I'm watching Fannie Mae's tutorial about Sovereign Citizens. Here's the picture used to identify them:

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 15, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Dear everyone who posted on this page,

Thank you for the laughs, I can now continue the rest of the work day without wanting to jump out the window.

Very Truly Yours,

Tokelau All Star

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

David Byrne has not aged well at all.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

joat mon posted:

I got a girlfriend that's better than that.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

joat mon posted:

Looks like he started dyeing his hair at least.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 16, 2014

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Justice Scalia?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Justice Scalia?

Doesn't look like Scalia at all, racist

Edit: Maybe the facial expression a little

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

Doesn't look like Scalia at all, racist

I guess you're right, if you look at them together

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Justice Scalia?

He's way too thin. Maybe Scalia after a meth binge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Today I learned that I have a bad attitude and am on a power trip and like to act like a little god.

To be fair, is is a very heady brew telling someone the court cancelled their hearing because they didn't appear at the status conference that had been set for six months, but that they could see our caseflow manager for new dates. With authority like that, it's hard NOT to go mad with power.

Pro pers. But they had the entitled arrogance of practicing attorneys.