Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Disco Infiva posted:

It seems that the score of most countries has gone up since 2013, so congrats Europe.

Nice that Russia managed to drive it's abysmal score even lower!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This is just for gay marriage tho.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Disco Infiva posted:

Is there a post-Windsor map that shows which bans have been overturned and which have been challenged?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Disco Infiva posted:

Wisconsin doesn't have civil unions. That map is wrong. What Wisconsin has is a registry where you can list your SO so that you can visit them in the hospital when they're sick. That's pretty much it. We have a constitutional ban on gay marriage.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Residential school system in Canada was pretty effective at genociding the poo poo out of first-nations language and culture.

And, unbeknownst to most Canadians it was only finally shut down in 1996.

Our own gulag archipelago

Quite possibly the worst event in Canadian history.

quote:

Below are some of the documented ways that Indian residential school staff ensured students respected the rules:
* Needles inserted into tongues for speaking their language
* Leather strap used to hit on various areas of body
* Beating with fists
* Burning and scalding hands
* Inflicting beatings until unconscious
* Starvation
* Shaming
* Public beatings of naked children
* Public strip search
* Genital search
* Sexual abuse
* Locking in closets, cages, and basements/quote]

[quote]In 1909, Dr. Peter Bryce, general medical superintendent for the Department of Indian Affairs (DIA), reported to the department that between 1894 and 1908, mortality rates at some residential schools in Western Canada ranged from 30% to 60% over five years (that is, five years after entry, 30% to 60% of students had died, or 6–12% per annum). These statistics did not become public until 1922, when Bryce, who was no longer working for the government, published The Story of a National Crime: Being a Record of the Health Conditions of the Indians of Canada from 1904 to 1921.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is there a post-Windsor map that shows which bans have been overturned and which have been challenged?

Does this help?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wisconsin doesn't have civil unions. That map is wrong. What Wisconsin has is a registry where you can list your SO so that you can visit them in the hospital when they're sick. That's pretty much it. We have a constitutional ban on gay marriage.

I don't know why that map show Wisconsin as allowing civil unions, I think this one is much better.

Note: Wisconsin allows limited rights to same-sex couples but has a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

From this article:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/same-sex-marriage-overview.aspx

It also goes into overturning bans in some states, so it could be interesting for Lord Hydronium.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Disco Infiva posted:

Does this help?

I don't know why that map show Wisconsin as allowing civil unions, I think this one is much better.

Note: Wisconsin allows limited rights to same-sex couples but has a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

From this article:

It also goes into overturning bans in some states, so it could be interesting for Lord Hydronium.

Add Arkansas to the list of equality states. Court ruled they can get married and several couples have already done so.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/05/12/3436666/arkansas-marriage-republicans/

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Disco Infiva posted:

Does this help?

Looks like it's a little out of date, but yeah, that's a good start. Thanks.

Now it just needs a legend on which rulings have cited Scalia's dissent in their reasoning. :unsmigghh:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Disco Infiva posted:

Does this help?

From this article:

Idaho is going to flip blue this week.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

oldswitcheroo posted:

Add Arkansas to the list of equality states. Court ruled they can get married and several couples have already done so.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/05/12/3436666/arkansas-marriage-republicans/

quote:

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee, who signed the 1997 statue banning same-sex marriage into law, expressed similar outrage, claiming that Piazza “mistook his black robe for a cape and declared himself to be ‘SUPER LAWMAKER!’” He urged Gov. Mike Beebe (D) to “call a special session of the legislature and impeach the judge and affirm the people’s will.”

Huckabee is literally insane, isn't he?

I also thought that an important part of democracy was that the people chose who governed, but part of the deal was that minorities would have their rights respected even if the people would rather that they didn't exist. Saying that a minority is opposed to marriage equality is increasingly false since things are changing (I saw a poll in Texas that had plurality support for it; and that's quite a big thing); but as soon as you start letting the majority take rights away from the minority just because then you end up with a tyranny of the majority and that's not a good thing. "The people's will" shouldn't matter in cases where rights are involved: because rights are a universal thing that always should exist regardless of what the people think!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Here's another to sort of answer my own question:

Except that's out of date even now, since Alaska had a suit filed yesterday and South Dakota is imminent.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Goddamnit, Italy :negative:

There are times I really loving hate my country. This is one of those times. And all because of stupid politicians jockeying for the public's favour :ughh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I can only imagine that the Scandinavian countries are a bit miffed about Spain being more progressive than them.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

IceAgeComing posted:

Huckabee is literally insane, isn't he?

I also thought that an important part of democracy was that the people chose who governed, but part of the deal was that minorities would have their rights respected even if the people would rather that they didn't exist. Saying that a minority is opposed to marriage equality is increasingly false since things are changing (I saw a poll in Texas that had plurality support for it; and that's quite a big thing); but as soon as you start letting the majority take rights away from the minority just because then you end up with a tyranny of the majority and that's not a good thing. "The people's will" shouldn't matter in cases where rights are involved: because rights are a universal thing that always should exist regardless of what the people think!
The problem is that for people like Huckabee their understanding of the Bill of Rights is only the 2nd amendment. It's ironic that "conservatives" like Thomas and Scalia hate the application of the Bill of Rights to states with a burning passion.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
What's going on with Ireland on that map? How about the former Yugoslav countries?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

karl fungus posted:

What's going on with Ireland on that map?

Ireland ain't too keen on the idea of Gay marriage or extending adoption rights to gay couples, there has been talk of reform but none has materialized. Part of the problem is the Irish constitution affords a special legal status to marriage, which is defined as the foundation of "Family" which possesses "inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law" which ensnares any attempts to extend equal status to civil partnerships in constitutional debates (which usually last years). There is also a special exemption for religious and educational organizations that permits discriminatory hiring based on sexual preference designed to protect the Catholic church from possible legal action. When it comes to gender reassignment Ireland currently does not recognize any changes in gender and have actually bickered with the ECHR after they ruled (back in 2007) that Ireland's law was in breach of human rights, again reforms to the current laws were promised a couple of years ago but they are still in the planning stages - the pace of legal reform in Ireland is painfully slow as most political parties have a tendency to kick any controversial issues into the long grass (Seanad committess) and hope everyone forgets about them

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
^^Or that for a real answer.

karl fungus posted:

What's going on with Ireland on that map? How about the former Yugoslav countries?

Ireland is notorious for hating abortions because of the super-religious right wing. I'd imagine gay marriage suffers the same fate.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What's public opinion like? American red state or harsher?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kavak posted:

Generally not that harsh to be honest, polls have continually shown a majority favour legalizing gay marriage for the last few years - I think the "Yes" option came back over 60% in the last poll. It it went to a referendum (which it probably will do eventually) it would pass comfortably, it's just that the Irish political & legal system is completely averse to any kind of deep reform on any subject matter and no major party is willing to risk alienating the 30% percent that would vote "No" as they are constantly biting at each others heels in the polls and pissing off a largish chunk of the population would do too much damage come election time. Irish politics is a weird, weird world were people vote for the grandchildren of people their grandparents voted for because it's the done thing.

Or, in video form
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjl8OIZijjY

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kavak posted:

Peanut President posted:

Ireland is notorious for hating abortions because of the super-religious right wing. I'd imagine gay marriage suffers the same fate.

Lets not go nuts, we don't have anything close to the kind of hardcore zealots that influence American discourse(although Northern Ireland has its fair share of that), its more of a holdover of Ireland's long, long period as a, uh, quaint little colony of Catholicism holding out against those Protestant barbarian Saxons across the sea. Its taking a very long time to shake off the Catholic church's influence in culture and politics, especially when combined with the sort of sluggish system that kustomkarkommando described.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Northern Ireland is never going to legalize gay marriage by an assembly vote - conservative Unionists hold the a majority and will sink any bill. Even if the make-up of the assembly changes and the Unionists lose a majority they can file a "petition of concern" to trigger a cross-community vote that requires a majority vote from both sides of the floor to pass a bill, something that I can't see happening when it comes to gay marriage.

Most likely the ECHR will wade in soon enough and force the UK to push NI to legalize gay marriage. Just like how the ECHR force Northern Ireland to decriminalise homosexuality in 1982

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

Lets not go nuts, we don't have anything close to the kind of hardcore zealots that influence American discourse(although Northern Ireland has its fair share of that), its more of a holdover of Ireland's long, long period as a, uh, quaint little colony of Catholicism holding out against those Protestant barbarian Saxons across the sea. Its taking a very long time to shake off the Catholic church's influence in culture and politics, especially when combined with the sort of sluggish system that kustomkarkommando described.

I wasn't claiming them to be worse than the USA it's just their right wing walks out of church and into their office.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Florida has a constitutional ban and a legal ban. We even have a fun law that says if you're in a same-sex relationship and one of you gets a sex change you're still not allowed to marry. Because gently caress you that's why.

This is why I hate Charlie Crist, despite being way better than skeletor and Jeb.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Florida has a constitutional ban and a legal ban. We even have a fun law that says if you're in a same-sex relationship and one of you gets a sex change you're still not allowed to marry. Because gently caress you that's why.

This is why I hate Charlie Crist, despite being way better than skeletor and Jeb.

Wait so they think people are faking a serious identity issue just to get gay married.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rumda posted:

Wait so they think people are faking a serious identity issue just to get gay married.

I looked it up and it's actually a legal decision, not an explicit law:

https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/know-your-rights-transgender-people-and-law posted:

Is the marriage of a post-transition transsexual to a person of a different sex legal?

It depends on where you live. Courts in Florida, Kansas, New York, Ohio and Texas have said no, explaining that what counts in those states is either the chromosomal or the birth-assigned sex.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
That may be outdated for NY, given that the gay marriage law in NY states:

quote:

10 2. NO GOVERNMENT TREATMENT OR LEGAL STATUS, EFFECT, RIGHT, BENEFIT,
11 PRIVILEGE, PROTECTION OR RESPONSIBILITY RELATING TO MARRIAGE, WHETHER
12 DERIVING FROM STATUTE, ADMINISTRATIVE OR COURT RULE, PUBLIC POLICY,
13 COMMON LAW OR ANY OTHER SOURCE OF LAW, SHALL DIFFER BASED ON THE PARTIES
14 TO THE MARRIAGE BEING OR HAVING BEEN OF THE SAME SEX RATHER THAN A
15 DIFFERENT SEX.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Per capita:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jesus Missouri you got a problem.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Does anyone have that joke map that correlates "Bad Stuff" with "Red States"? Because that map is never not true.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
What's going on in Missourah?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radio Prune posted:

What's going on in Missourah?

Supposedly just bad data.

http://sierraclub.typepad.com/compass/2012/10/targeting-our-efforts-to-reduce-national-oil-addiction-part-two-.html#more

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I love it when maps of "how much of this thing happens" end up just being population-density maps. Wow, 5000 people consume more gasoline, eat more pork, and have more college graduates than five people.

I was relieved to see the per-capita map follow up, which was actually pretty interesting.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I like how these are rough inverses of each other.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jesus Missouri you got a problem.

Have you seen Missouri on the gas price heat map? Hint: it has the sixth lowest gas tax in the country.

Or that.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

DerLeo posted:

I like how these are rough inverses of each other.

It makes sense. People who live in less populated areas have to drive more to get places.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
I was actually going to say trucking for Missouri, since St. Louis is supposedly a big, big hub for that. But that wouldn't explain the rest of the state not on I-70. Yeah, bad data.

edit: Whaddya know, the combined approach they have listed says St. Louis is #1 in something after all. Maybe it really is the trucking thing.

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 15, 2014

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

dinoputz posted:

I was actually going to say trucking for Missouri, since St. Louis is supposedly a big, big hub for that. But that wouldn't explain the rest of the state not on I-70. Yeah, bad data.

edit: Whaddya know, the combined approach they have listed says St. Louis is #1 in something after all. Maybe it really is the trucking thing.

that wouldn't explain why, say, the Ozarks are blood red in Missouri but green in Arkansas. I'd say the whole map is pretty suspect. IIRC the average daily commute for someone in New Jersey is something like 30 minutes, but the state as a whole is low

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Emanuel Collective posted:

that wouldn't explain why, say, the Ozarks are blood red in Missouri but green in Arkansas. I'd say the whole map is pretty suspect. IIRC the average daily commute for someone in New Jersey is something like 30 minutes, but the state as a whole is low

The St. Louis trucking thing was just about the city being far and away the highest on the list with the combined data. No idea what makes the difference in voting patterns. Does Arkansas have any minor unions at play?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
would be interesting to see the gallons of fuel per KJ of food produced. I suspect a lot of the per capita are agricultural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mikl posted:

Goddamnit, Italy :negative:

There are times I really loving hate my country. This is one of those times. And all because of stupid politicians jockeying for the public's favour :ughh:

I actually assumed Italy being so socially conservative had to do more with the influence of the Church.

Extract the Vatican from Rome and put it down on a Pacific island somewhere.