Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This really has been a great season and hopefully Jeff is taking the Twitter feedback on board re: Tyler Perry idol that putting too much power into the game isn't necessarily the right thing to do. You really need things in the game to manifest themselves organically. Cast a good cross section of people and this sort of stuff takes root on it's own. Big Brother could take a lesson or two from this season but we all know Grodner will cast the same stupid cliched sterotypes of people because she is risk averse.

edit: OH poo poo NEW PAGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Trish strikes me as the person that might poison the jury against Tony now because he turned against her for Kass. I really don't understand his thinking here... even if he wanted Trish out over Kass, why not vote for Kass knowing his vote won't matter anyway?

Also no love for Trish's "I haven't had a confrontation with anyone out here this entire game" comment??

Lindsey doesn't count, she quit.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

savinhill posted:

Yeah, the way I see it is if Spencer or Woo wins immunity, Tony goes. If Tony wins, Spencer goes.

I'd say letting Spencer stick around that one week/blindsiding Jefra and not playing the idol on Trish this week are both equally stupid moves, this week's dumb move is just more immediately obvious.

Mmm, I don't know. If Woo won, I think odds may be that Spencer. He's really the last person that anybody would want to be against in the finale. Woo has been more inclined to vote with Tony. Kass...well, who knows what the hell she'll do. She's seems to be pretty firmly against Tony at this point, but she also think that she can win against him in FTC.

I hope you somehow wake up with a lamprey in your bed.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

savinhill posted:

Lindsey doesn't count, she quit.

Didn't Lindsey start it? I remember her saying all sorts of trash about Trish but they never showed Trish attacking Lindsey until Lindsey went nuts after Cliff was voted out

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tide posted:

Didn't Lindsey start it? I remember her saying all sorts of trash about Trish but they never showed Trish attacking Lindsey until Lindsey went nuts after Cliff was voted out

Yeah, pretty much.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I guess I bought into Tony wanting Kass out more than I should have. She is an excellent goat, truly unlikable especially after tonight's tribal council antics. Hell of a gambit by Tony for the final elimination though, he's not lying about that bag of tricks.

This has been a great season, and it seems the finale won't disappoint either. Three people have a legitimate shot at winning, and a Kaotic FTC is almost guaranteed.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Does the jury member get to see all the votes against them? Tony could just tell Trish that Spencer, Kass and Woo voted her out while he held strong with her. And still get her vote.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I was really hoping to see Tony play his idol on Trish and then Woo be eliminated with 2 votes, but this outcome is also incredibly entertaining.

More than anything I'm just glad that Kass is still around. I don't care who wins as long as I get to see Kass answer jury questions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

There's a chance Tony falls into the "deserves to be here" trap and votes with Spencer.
With, as in, teaming up? I just can't see that at this point. What would they do, vote Woo and hope Woo & Kass split their vote?

No, next week is going to be Tony bending over backwards to secure votes from Kass and whoever wins immunity. Because I can't see him winning immunity if he hasn't to this point.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mercaptopropyl posted:

More than anything I'm just glad that Kass is still around. I don't care who wins as long as I get to see Kass answer jury questions.
She's going to think it's a walk in the park because "jury = court" and "me lawyer = awesome".
Little does she realize that she's going to be on the bad bitter end of a voir dire of hate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Munsun posted:

Does the jury member get to see all the votes against them? Tony could just tell Trish that Spencer, Kass and Woo voted her out while he held strong with her. And still get her vote.

There was only one vote for Kass in that urn, and Trish knows it.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Kass: "Tony has pissed everyone off. If I can make it to the end with him, I think I can win."
Tony: "Kass, I'm planning to take you to the end with me."
Kass: *Sets the world ablaze.*

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Will Jeff let him lie about the Tyler Perry idol at the next tribal?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

SteveVizsla posted:

Yes as long as he doesnt try and play it. He's let him lie about it so far.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 15, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Tide posted:

Regardless, I'd still count it as a "confrontation."

SteveVizsla posted:

Presumably, but this still strikes me as unfair. I hate when one player knows rules about the game that other players will not. It's bad enough that Tony knew about its powers and the others didn't, it's even worse that he can lie about something so crucial at the penultimate tribal and the other players just have to guess if he's lying or not. In the past, Jeff has said at the Final 5 TC "this is the last night to use a hidden immunity idol" and he really should have said that this season and emphasized that that includes all hidden immunity idols.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I feel like the producers could make good money on a pay-per-view special where they just strand Brandon and Kass on a deserted island until they kill each other, starve to death, or both at the same time.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Tide posted:

Supposedly Lindsey started it, but you never know with reality TV editing.

hello old friend

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

loving lamprey.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Tony understands that Spencer is the biggest threat left and that would take him to a final three regardless. Also, I have no doubts that if Tony doesn't win immunity, Spencer, knowing his fandom, is going to call out the no idols past F5 thing at Tribal.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

mancalamania posted:

Presumably, but this still strikes me as unfair. I hate when one player knows rules about the game that other players will not. It's bad enough that Tony knew about its powers and the others didn't, it's even worse that he can lie about something so crucial at the penultimate tribal and the other players just have to guess if he's lying or not. In the past, Jeff has said at the Final 5 TC "this is the last night to use a hidden immunity idol" and he really should have said that this season and emphasized that that includes all hidden immunity idols.

I agree, it adds too much power to the idol since not only is it ultra-super-powerful to begin with but it's additionally powerful by them not telling other players what it does AND omitting something they've said in I think all previous seasons, that no idol can be used at the final 4 tribal council.

Also Trish is like amazingly bad at challenges. Sometimes older women kill it late-game with things like endurance or puzzle challenges, but Trish seems to just have no energy for them.

Also Tony constantly lying and backpedaling is hilarious. I think his tell is that he starts twiddling his hands around each other when he's making poo poo up. "See Woo, that's why I swore on my DEAD DAD for you. Whereas for Kass I swore on my wife and child, because I knew I'd have to backpedal. My wife and child don't mean poo poo to me. I don't care if God strikes them down at all Woo. I only care about my dead dad's soul you see. Trustworthy."

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 15, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love Kass so much more this after this episode. Chaos or not, she played that exactly right and Tony still doesn't seem to understand it. Woo voted for Trish - Kass won. She's still not gonna win in the end but she might've gotten a couple votes with that play.

I'd be fine with any of the four people remaining winning. This season is awesome.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If Tony's bluff works he probably wins the game. Only caveat is if Spencer wins immunity. If Spencer wins immunity he has decent chance of winning. Kass has no chance after that tribal, what a truly terrible person.

Tony's tirade about Kass was basically an early final tribal speech, getting everyone to like him, if only for a moment.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

I love Kass so much more this after this episode. Chaos or not, she played that exactly right and Tony still doesn't seem to understand it. Woo voted for Trish - Kass won. She's still not gonna win in the end but she might've gotten a couple votes with that play.

Yeah, I'm surprised more people didn't appreciate Kass's play there; it's the one scenario in which #ChaosKass actually made sense strategically. Tony has straight-up told her that he wants to take her to the final three. She knows that people hating Tony is her best chance at winning. Getting him agitated and filling in Woo increases her odds in that regard, and she knows she's all but untouchable in his eyes so it's risk-free. The only way it could backfire is if Tony gets extremely personal, which is both out of character for him and ultimately a moot point, since she needs to be sitting next to a despised Tony. It helps that the vote ultimately weakened his claim to "mastermind" status, too.

Funnily enough, Trish was again perhaps the most perceptive person in the game - she called Kass out for her passive-aggressive poo poo and basically spelled out what she was doing at Tribal Council. Trish was subtly one of the most deft players this season; it's a shame she didn't seem to have the energy to do much of anything toward the end.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Her move was good and she did what she needed to in order to stay in the game. However her attacks on Trish at Tribal Council in front of a jury that has nothing against Trish, pretty much seals the deal for Kass to get 0 jury votes. So while she did what she had to do to stay in the game, she did everything possible to get 0 votes in the end.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

What was the last season with a bitter jury? Every one that I've watched in recent memory (I've skipped a few) the jury basically goes "Yeah you backstabbed us, or got us out early. But we've been relaxing and eating for the past couple of days or weeks, and have clearer minds. This was a game, you played it great, you win."

Seems like playing for the bitter jury win isn't really a viable strategy anymore.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

spidoman posted:

What was the last season with a bitter jury? Every one that I've watched in recent memory (I've skipped a few) the jury basically goes "Yeah you backstabbed us, or got us out early. But we've been relaxing and eating for the past couple of days or weeks, and have clearer minds. This was a game, you played it great, you win."

Seems like playing for the bitter jury win isn't really a viable strategy anymore.

Nicaragua, though others might argue South Pacific.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I'm not sure if Kass is flirting with Russell or what here...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

Tony all ready said he's going to lie about the special idol being usable next Tribal.

Spence being a superfan should be able to sniff out that lie.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think Tony understands that Spencer is the biggest threat left and that would take him to a final three regardless. Also, I have no doubts that if Tony doesn't win immunity, Spencer, knowing his fandom, is going to call out the no idols past F5 thing at Tribal.

I watched Cook Islands recently, which is to my knowledge the last time the super idol was in play, and they made no mentioned of when it could be played. That idol was playable at 4. If Spencer is a superfan, he has good reason to believe Tony's lie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spencer should ask if idols are still playable. I don't think Jeff can evade a rules question. It would be funny if someone asked the wrong question and Jeff told them Tony's idol has special powers, which is technically true.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Well its Spencer or Tony,Woo could be a dark horse candidate if he goes with Tony but those odds are slim however we are almost certain of a Kass jury performance.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tony and Kass are classic contestants in that both would be great competitors if they didn't have one fatal flaw that makes them their own worst enemy. They both have a great tool set and are not afraid of making moves and playing the game but Kass has no self awareness and Tony overplays everything. Its just pure hubris and it is entertaining to watch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mr.capps posted:

Tony and Kass are classic contestants in that both would be great competitors if they didn't have one fatal flaw that makes them their own worst enemy. They both have a great tool set and are not afraid of making moves and playing the game but Kass has no self awareness and Tony overplays everything. Its just pure hubris and it is entertaining to watch.
Kass also has no social game, no challenge ability, no understanding of strategy, no leadership, no idea when to make big moves, and no jury sympathy.

She's lacking just a few more things than Tony is, is all I'm suggesting here. Also, I hate her so very much.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
The other contestants not knowing the rules of the special idol makes it all the more powerful. I think the whole point of not telling the other contestants the rules is so they can have that big, dramatic reveal when someone actually gets voted out and *surprise!* they play the idol. I don't think they anticipated the creativity shown here. Tony's lie about being able to play it at final 4 is absolutely brilliant. Even if they don't trust Tony, is anyone going to cast a vote at final 4 against him, seeing that special idol around his neck? Basically Tony is guaranteed a spot in the finals.

That is, assuming they follow the pattern of the last umpteen seasons and have a final 3. A manipulative producer who feels Tony just broke the game by doing something they didn't expect... Well, they might be tempted to do a final 2 to compensate for that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Congratulations Spencer on winning Survivor Cagayan!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CapnAndy posted:

Kass also has no social game, no challenge ability, no understanding of strategy, no leadership, no idea when to make big moves, and no jury sympathy.

She's lacking just a few more things than Tony is, is all I'm suggesting here. Also, I hate her so very much.

Most of that can be tied back into her self awareness issues. Tony also isn't exactly a challenge beast either.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Spencer is a freaking badass. :smug:

Another amazing episode. This season has been so drat good. Only needs to stay on track for one more episode with a Spencer or Tony win.

Kass has officially reached Rupert levels of annoying. So much smug from someone so thoroughly undeserving of it.

I can't help but feel bad for Spencer. He's surrounded by a bunch of knuckleheads plus Tony the Hyper Caffinated Russell Hantz. He's done an amazing job of managing it, but it has to be hard to be the only rational human being on an island of lunatics.

Not sure about Tony's decision to flip on Trish in that spot. He could have easily burnt the regular idol on her, sent Kass or even Woo home, and had a guarenteed ally in the final four challenge. As is it's pretty much three on one with his hopes hanging on a bluff with the special idol.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Spencer grinning from ear to ear whenever a fight is going on (that doesn't involve him) is always the best.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Tony on transporting idols to tribal council.

I'm going to be bummed if the Tony's fireside chats with Spencer end after the season. So awesome.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh my god. This episode was literally the reason I watch Survivor. Tony is magical, Woo is magical, Spencer is magical, Kass is magical, best Final Four. :allears:
Also the funniest tribal council. Can't fathom why Tony would vote Trish, that's some 11th-Dimensional Chess going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It's pretty easy now. Spencer wins the immunity challenge he wins the game, if he does not win, Tony or Woo (60/40 at this point, bitter jury might or might not happen) win the game. I think Tony's gambit with the special power immunity idol could work and was very smart. If he had played his "normal" idol on Trish, they would have known the other one is no good after f5, because why give up the safety to reach f3 just to drag Trish along.

I think for Tony's situation in the final4 Trish and Woo are the same. Both have a strong social game but need a sufficiently bitter jury to win at the end and you should be able to convince both of them that Spencer in the final3 is just a default win.

Based on the preview I think Spencer does not win the immunity, will go home and Tony will win the game, because we all know, the preview shows the exact opposite of what will really happen.

• Locked thread