Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I wanted a dual extruder/heated bed device and that Chinese thing seemed scary to me so I bought a M2X. So far I've gotten it to print great in ABS, after a few failed prints where I learned I didn't level it just quite right. All told I am having a ton of fun with it.

I can't get it to print for poo poo in PLA though. It prints a couple layers and then the extruder jams up. The feeder motor is turning but it stops gripping the filament and keeps just clicking over and over again. The filament gets little track marks in it from where the feeder tried to grab it and failed. If I cut off the chewed piece of filament and re-do the feed process it flows through fine so it seems like the mechanism isn't clogged, and maybe it's just having trouble getting filament into the extruder.

Am I running it too hot? The default PLA profile in Makerware calls for running the extruder at 230 ºC, I tried dialing it down to 190º and it seemed like maybe I got one or two more layers out before it crapped out.

edit: from googling it seems like it's just flaky at PLA in general. I liked the look of the plastic better than ABS in the final product, but that's not worth the hassle.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

seaborgium posted:

You too? I'm batch 3, not looking good so far. I'm wondering if they're going to try and sell some at the Maker Faire they're going to next week.

batch 4 :smithicide:. I doubt they'd try and sell them it's just another fantasy deadline.

Starting to look into grants, pretty sure i can convince someone somewhere to buy me a makerbot for some medical stuff i'm doing

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Any thoughts on the printer Monoprice is rolling out?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...rinter_preorder

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I love monoprice and I find that they are selling a 3D printer extremely interesting. Curious how it'll work out, though. Don't really want to be a guinea pig.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I also love monoprice and it is quite interesting that they are releasing a 3d printer. The price looks pretty good for what you get. I don't see my self being one of the first ones to try it but it looks pretty drat good. Color me interested.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Is there any sort of visual guide or something to printer problems and how to fix them?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For the price of the monoprice printer, I'd just buy a rostock max. Though one doesn't have to be assembled.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

insta posted:

Except it's worse in almost every way, but OK.

Can you quantify that some more please? A self assembly kit from nophead is almost double that of an i3.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Can you quantify that some more please? A self assembly kit from nophead is almost double that of an i3.

The advantages of the Mendel90 are primarily the ease of self-sourcing a kit. The OpenSCAD scripts are extremely customizable to the materials you have on hand, which makes it very easy to set the thing to be built from 1/2" MDF (also pretty cheap). It will spit out saw templates, drill templates, a BOM, and personalized STL files for your individual requirements. This makes the M90 trivial to scale in any dimension you want.

The i3 requires similar hardware (so no bonus there), but the frame is a piece of springy aluminum, and it still has wobble problems. Unless you find someone to do it for you, you're going to need a waterjet for the frame as well (!), so good luck if you drop it and it bends when removing it from your car or something.

The Mendel90 is also designed for long, continuous operation. nophead actually designs strain relief and flex guides into the machine. MDF is very stable, and you can configure it to use massively thick parts (3/4" if you want) for an extremely stable platform that you can crank the speed on. If MDF isn't your thing, you change a single setting in the scads and can spit out an acrylic design instead.

I was able to source a Mendel90 (thanks to the BOM) for about $400. I got the cut & drill templates printed at Kinkos and cut them with a jigsaw.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

If you haven't heard yet, Autodesk has made another play in the 3D printer space. They're basically rolling out the 3D printer equivalent of Android, and it's called Spark. They are also releasing a printer at the same time, which looks similar in principle to the Formlabs printer.

On the one hand, I think this is a really clever move, because they are trying to build their business around a platform, rather than tying to keep the lights on by selling printers. That works great in the smart phone world, but who knows how it will translate. It appears that building a machine to be compatible with Spark will be pretty easy for a company, but source code will not be available for the average hacker (if I've understood it correctly). If it's really a walled garden type of ecosystem, it may be met with resistance. But anyway, looks very interesting nonetheless.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

If you haven't heard yet, Autodesk has made another play in the 3D printer space. They're basically rolling out the 3D printer equivalent of Android, and it's called Spark. They are also releasing a printer at the same time, which looks similar in principle to the Formlabs printer.

On the one hand, I think this is a really clever move, because they are trying to build their business around a platform, rather than tying to keep the lights on by selling printers. That works great in the smart phone world, but who knows how it will translate. It appears that building a machine to be compatible with Spark will be pretty easy for a company, but source code will not be available for the average hacker (if I've understood it correctly). If it's really a walled garden type of ecosystem, it may be met with resistance. But anyway, looks very interesting nonetheless.

I like that "reliability" and "ease of use" don't make it to their "most important attribute in a 3d printer" survey question, but "color" does.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Maybe they figure that for a commercial product reliability and ease of use are obvious no-brainers? The Stratasys FDMs are workhorses that any idiot can operate -- real companies would not put up with MakerBot, let alone RepRap, levels of reliability.

And color printing (especially multiple colors in a single print) really is going to be a major thing for 3D printers to become generally acceptable by consumers. People have limited uses for a machine that only makes homogeneous plastic objects.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Maplin have the 3Doodler in stock here in the uk with 50 sticks of ABS for £99, I texted my wife asking her to talk me out of it.

Her reply was "no"

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Cakefool posted:

Maplin have the 3Doodler in stock here in the uk with 50 sticks of ABS for £99, I texted my wife asking her to talk me out of it.

Her reply was "no"

If you've got a hot glue gun around you can save yourself some money.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cakefool posted:

Her reply was "no"

It's a fun craft toy, but not useful for much.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

UberVexer posted:

If you've got a hot glue gun around you can save yourself some money.

My glue gun doesn't take 3mm filament and electrically extrude :v:

neongrey posted:

It's a fun craft toy, but not useful for much.

I know that, but I bought it anyway. Took a bit of playing with but I think i got it now. Scribbling in midair is fun and I can delude myself I'll one day strap it to my mindstorms kit.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
After a week of loving around with my new prusa 13v, i finally have a test cube printed. I guess as a hobby, this is a perfect way to fill all of my free time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cakefool posted:

My glue gun doesn't take 3mm filament and electrically extrude :v:

I know that, but I bought it anyway. Took a bit of playing with but I think i got it now. Scribbling in midair is fun and I can delude myself I'll one day strap it to my mindstorms kit.

We just got one at the hackspace. Fun so far, going to take some work to get good with it, but yeah, I'm not sure how overall USEFUL it'll be. I suspect it will just be an amusing way to make signs and the like.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm working on a prusa i3 and it looks like my y end stop holder is placing the endstop in a position which isn't far away enough. As a result I don't have access to the "corners" to calibrate the nozzle. Any tips? Any modified end stop holders that are more extended?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cakefool posted:

Oh yeah, I backed the KS, and I like the thing well enough, but people seem to expect more of it than what it is. It's definitely fun to play around with.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm going to try to cram a printrbot hot end onto my doorstop cupcake. Wish me luck! If the nozzles are interchangeable then I might not even have to make any real software tweaks!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm going to try to cram a printrbot hot end onto my doorstop cupcake. Wish me luck! If the nozzles are interchangeable then I might not even have to make any real software tweaks!

I'd love to see some before/after photos if that works out!

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Mister Sinewave posted:

I recently converted a TOM to use RAMPS and a Lulzbot hot end... it's still a doorstop.

Cakefool posted:

I can delude myself I'll one day strap it to my mindstorms kit.

I think I'd actually like to see that. The 3Doodler's retraction was pretty awful the last time I read about it, if I recall, but anything made of Lego bricks that moves makes me smile like an idiot.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I'm not using my Form 1 enough to justify owning it. Are there any good places to try and sell a high-ticket item like that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can donate it to our makerspace, it's tax deductible! :v:

I see people buying/selling them on the form1 "forums", though, might try there. Looks like they're doing it through ebay but using the forums to connect. Of course, I say forum, but that's being generous.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well, it was a bit of a pain in the rear end but I got it bodged in. Printrbot 3mm filament hot end onto a Makerbot Cupcake.

The printer now works about as well as it ever did, which is to say a bit stone-age compared to more modern ones but better than nothing!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

muon posted:

I'm not using my Form 1 enough to justify owning it. Are there any good places to try and sell a high-ticket item like that?

How much? Includes any resin?

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

muon posted:

I'm sure someone around here (including myself) would buy it for the right price.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Made some spacers in Meshmixer yesterday:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:342263

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

muon posted:

Yeah also interested in what you'd want to sell it for.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I've been looking into a starter 3d printer for a while, and I was wondering what the current gold standards were for reasonable quality. Don't care about any of the fancier aspects, as long as it prints in reasonable quality with standard plastics etc.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

w00tmonger posted:

I've been looking into a starter 3d printer for a while, and I was wondering what the current gold standards were for reasonable quality. Don't care about any of the fancier aspects, as long as it prints in reasonable quality with standard plastics etc.

Flashforge Creator seems to be a good entry level printer. Basically the replicator 1 with dual extruders.

Besides that the Ultimaker 2 looks awesome, though it comes at a higher premium

The Robo3D is good for high volume to cost ratio, but requires a good technician to keep running

The printrbot simple metal is a great low cost printer but you'e limited on how much you can upgrade on it. The printrbot plus is basically a more rigidized version of the Robo3D without a lid.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but those are the printers I would look at were I buying a new one. Stay clear of Makerbots, their quality is very questionable on the Gen 5's

Alternative to the flashforge, monoprice just put out their own branded flashforge version as well.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

MickRaider posted:

Stay clear of Makerbots, their quality is very questionable on the Gen 5's

This, forever. Also Makerbot turned their back on the community that they came from, if that matters to you at all.

The Flashforge is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment, having two extruders is silly, until it isn't.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kinda aiming for the printrbot simple metal. Looks nice and basic to start with and its super cheap, which is a big deal.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm looking at putting together a mendel90, the sturdy variant, since I'm equipped to do mdf all day long. But man, all those printed parts. I've found kits that are just the printed parts for $75, is that reasonable or silly? Anyone know a better source? I'm trying to put this together for our budding makerspace, and we have a puny (basically non-existent) budget for now, so I'll probably be donating anything I have to buy.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

MickRaider posted:

Flashforge Creator seems to be a good entry level printer. Basically the replicator 1 with dual extruders.

Besides that the Ultimaker 2 looks awesome, though it comes at a higher premium

The Robo3D is good for high volume to cost ratio, but requires a good technician to keep running

The printrbot simple metal is a great low cost printer but you'e limited on how much you can upgrade on it. The printrbot plus is basically a more rigidized version of the Robo3D without a lid.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but those are the printers I would look at were I buying a new one. Stay clear of Makerbots, their quality is very questionable on the Gen 5's

Alternative to the flashforge, monoprice just put out their own branded flashforge version as well.

I'm interested why the Makergear M2 isn't in this list. I have been researching good "my first printer"s and all signs seem to be pointing to the M2 as my impending purchase. The customer support and forums both seem to be spectacular and all the reviews say it's one of the easiest/more reliable printers out there.

Thoughts?

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

Bad Munki posted:

I'm looking at putting together a mendel90, the sturdy variant, since I'm equipped to do mdf all day long. But man, all those printed parts. I've found kits that are just the printed parts for $75, is that reasonable or silly? Anyone know a better source? I'm trying to put this together for our budding makerspace, and we have a puny (basically non-existent) budget for now, so I'll probably be donating anything I have to buy.

Where are you? Our Hackspace got a dibond mendel90 donated, I can print you a set of parts to pay it forward if you pay shipping :cheers:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

theparag0n posted:

Where are you? Our Hackspace got a dibond mendel90 donated, I can print you a set of parts to pay it forward if you pay shipping :cheers:

Erie, PA. I would love that, and would see to it we paid it forward as well.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

nolen posted:

I'm interested why the Makergear M2 isn't in this list. I have been researching good "my first printer"s and all signs seem to be pointing to the M2 as my impending purchase. The customer support and forums both seem to be spectacular and all the reviews say it's one of the easiest/more reliable printers out there.

Thoughts?

I only picked printers at or below 1k (Except the ultimaker)

Were I to get something above 1.5k I'd go got the ultimaker 2 before the makergear. Though I value the aesthetic appeal of the Ultimaker 2. Makergear seems good, but for the price it's probably not significantly better than the far cheaper flashforge.

UberVexer posted:

The Flashforge is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment, having two extruders is silly, until it isn't.
I still don't know why people hate on multiple extruders. Dissolvable support is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

MickRaider posted:

I still don't know why people hate on multiple extruders. Dissolvable support is awesome.

Speaking of, I'm using HIPS and honestly it doesn't help much. I'm using it for standard supports in MakerWare, should I just make the HIPS parts solid? As it is, supported curves turn out so badly I may as well have not used any support at all.