Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well I'm not saying the Mirror Knight boss should summon players all the time and otherwise remain exactly the same as today; you'd probably have to make a few balance changes, like making the boss himself play pretty passively while the summoned player is still alive or something. And you'd probably have to summon people at a lower soul tier than the challenging player. But it's the concept that's cool and it feels like a wasted idea now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

AlternatePFG posted:

Aren't the player summons for him also limited to NG+ for some reason?
No, I'm still in NG and I could get summoned for the fight.
How I think the Mirror Knight summoning works is that when you activate a red eye orb or a red soapstone sign while in Drangleic Castle or the King's Passage, the server checks if there's someone fighting the Mirror Knight and is in need of a summon.
If yes, then you get a "The Looking Glass Knight summons you" message and you get stuck in loading screen limbo until the boss fight has progressed enough for you to enter the arena. If not, then the server has you attempt to invade normally with the red eye orb, or place a red summon sign with the red soapstone.
So if you want to get summoned for the Mirror Knight fight, place down a red sign in the King's Passage and if you're not sumoned after 30 seconds, refresh it.

It's not all that fun though: I tried it for an hour yesterday and 8 times I got kicked back to my world before I even entered the arena because the host died. 1 time I got a sunlight spear in my back just as I spawned in and during my last attempt I got mobed by the host and his 2 phantom buddies.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 15, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

They mean the Ash Lake you visit when you walk into that dragon's memories, I think.

I've dumped countless hours in to this game and I have no idea what this is...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

david... posted:

I've dumped countless hours in to this game and I have no idea what this is...

Go back to Freja's room when you have the Ashen Mist Heart. :ssh:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 15, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a totally not shady question: What's the minimum soul memory for level 300 or so? Is there some sort of calculator for this poo poo?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Go back to Freja's room when you have the Ashen Mist Heart. :ssh:

Holy poo poo, I would never have thought to do that, that's really cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

david... posted:

Holy poo poo, I would never have thought to do that, that's really cool.

It would have made a lot more sense if they'd put the giant memories in the other boss rooms instead of having them all in FoFG and the ancient dragon memory being the only one that requires you to go anywhere.

In dragon-chat, I don't think the ancient dragon in the memory is the Everlasting Dragon at all. Given that:
- the duke seems to have been Aldia (the king's brother)
- you find a hollowed nobleman in the study behind Freja
- Freja is guarding that dragon corpse
- the Ancient Dragon is most likely Aldia (multiple people point out it's a fraud, it drops a giant soul instead of an ancient dragon soul, Aldia is noted to have been performing experiments on soul transplants/transmutation using giant souls)

The most likely case is that the dragon corpse in Freja's cave is either a dragon that the duke first tried his experiments on (which failed), or the original ancient dragon which the duke used to transform his body into a dragon (instead of just putting his soul in a dragon body). The pillars around the ancient dragon in the memory look more like the dragon aeries than archtrees.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I don't think the duke is Aldia, somewhere it mentions Aldia was last seen in the dragon aerie, which is on the other side of the map. I think the duke is just some guy crazy about spiders.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Manscorpion Tark has some stuff to say about a master and gives you his ring and stuff after you've killed Freja etc, I think he mentions that him and not-queelag were created by that guy too, probably misremembering though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It would have made a lot more sense if they'd put the giant memories in the other boss rooms instead of having them all in FoFG and the ancient dragon memory being the only one that requires you to go anywhere.

In dragon-chat, I don't think the ancient dragon in the memory is the Everlasting Dragon at all. Given that:
- the duke seems to have been Aldia (the king's brother)
- Freja is guarding that dragon corpse
- the Ancient Dragon is most likely Aldia (multiple people point out it's a fraud, it drops a giant soul instead of an ancient dragon soul, Aldia is noted to have been performing experiments on soul transplants/transmutation using giant souls)

The most likely case is that the dragon corpse in Freja's cave is either a dragon that the duke first tried his experiments on (which failed), or the original ancient dragon which the duke used to transform his body into a dragon (instead of just putting his soul in a dragon body). The pillars around the ancient dragon in the memory look more like the dragon aeries than archtrees.

The pillars are broken and splintered Archtrees. It's likely that the memory takes place directly after the war with Lord Gwyn, given the sunlight and dryness of the area. The area is reminiscent of the Kiln of the First Flame in Dark Souls 1 with the exception that the Kiln had a massive retaining wall built around its perimeter.

Basically, Dark Souls lore owns and I love trying to piece this stuff together.

Edit: This also makes me think that the Throne of Want is built from or on top of the remains of the Kiln of the First Flame or Firelink Shrine. I think that's mostly due to slight architectural similarities though.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 15, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The item description on Aldia's Key claims that Aldia had been locked in Aldia's Keep, so I don't think he's the Duke. It's certainly possible he's Navlaan though, though his dialogue doesn't mention anything that alludes to it, so I'm skeptical.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So if Small Shields, other than the Target Shield and Buckler, have the same parry windows and windup as medium shields, then what is their purpose other than being lighter?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

code:
AGI - iFrames
85 - 8
90 - 9
95 - 10
100 - 12
105 - 13
110 - 13
115 - 15
120 - 16
For reference, here are the numbers I got from Dks 1 awhile back.
Slow Roll - 9
Medium Roll - 11
Fast Roll - 13
DWGR - 15

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is the Duke.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kild posted:

code:
AGI - iFrames
85 - 8
90 - 9
95 - 10
100 - 12
105 - 13
110 - 13
115 - 15
120 - 16
For reference, here are the numbers I got from Dks 1 awhile back.
Slow Roll - 9
Medium Roll - 11
Fast Roll - 13
DWGR - 15
What

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

The pillars are broken and splintered Archtrees.

They don't look anything like that.

Orv posted:

This is the Duke.

That's the Duke's body. That said, you're right that they're probably different people - the game refers to Aldia as "Lord Aldia," not "Duke Aldia." It's still much more likely that the ancient dragon is related to Aldia rather than the Everlasting Dragons from DS1.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The item description on Aldia's Key claims that Aldia had been locked in Aldia's Keep, so I don't think he's the Duke. It's certainly possible he's Navlaan though, though his dialogue doesn't mention anything that alludes to it, so I'm skeptical.

I kind of casually wrote it off a little while ago but yeah, agreed with the latter part as I really have no idea why Navlaan would be Aldia. The clearly-sane side of him begs you not to let him out, and Aldia has been shown to be entirely unrepentant, not to mention Aldia's MO is less bloodshed and more hosed up scientific progress.

My take:
Lemon Curdistan has it pretty much all correct, but personally I'm confused by the presence of Seathe's soul with Freja. On one hand, Freja's full name alludes to a duke, and Seathe was the duke of Lordran, not to mention all of "Brightstone" Cove is covered in Seathecrystals, and Freja's beam seems to suggest a connection to this. On the other hand, Duke Tseldora is obsessed with spiders, and is in a miniature Duke's Archives, so more logically the spider is his. That doesn't account for Seathe's soul however, and it certainly doesn't explain why Aldia is doing the same kinds of experiments that Seathe was doing with maidens.

This last bit is really the kicker though: Aldia is working on control over both soul and body, and is clearly pretty good at creating life. The Emerald Herald mentions being begot of dragons, the ancient dragon in the shrine being the foremost of them - dragons in Dark Souls aren't particularly well-known for this kind of stuff, so I'm making the leap to say that Seathe, reincarnated as Aldia, took on a Giant Soul as it was more powerful than the remnants of his Seathe-Soul, left the latter with the Duke because of his use in excavating both crystals and the body of the ancient dragon, Freja gets ahold of the soul gaining strength as a result, and Aldia finally takes on the body of an ancient dragon, which in the end was effectively what he was trying to do ever since Gwyn's war and his exile from the other dragons. The Emerald Herald is created based on his research from soul infusion and the maidens in order to guide the cursed one/chosen undead into linking the First Flame so that another wave of souls enters the world and he has a wider pool of materials to work with, so to speak. By helping the player toward this I would imagine he would hope you wouldn't attack him, but it's also a video game and he doesn't know that so we can pass by that motive since there's really no in-game justification for doing so other than some inexplicable "gently caress DRAGONS" thing.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

david... posted:

Manscorpion Tark has some stuff to say about a master and gives you his ring and stuff after you've killed Freja etc, I think he mentions that him and not-queelag were created by that guy too, probably misremembering though.

Tark's dialogue and a lot of other stuff in Tseldora reference Seath very clearly. A "great pale beast" that "yearned for what it lacked" and all.

While the Seath/Duke Tseldora stories themselves don't seem to match up, it's still an intentional nod. And Tark's dialogue indicates that Seath somehow created he and Najka. Either way, there's an implication that Brightstone Cove is actually the mined-out and settled-in Crystal Caves. Though from a geographical standpoint that's pretty out-there.

Also the name "Tark" being similar to "Tarkus" makes me believe he's actually from an alternate reality where Tarkus went to the Duke's Archives instead but got captured and turned into a scorpion guy along with what was probably one of the kidnapped maidens, who was Najka. The only problem with that theory is that Najka uses sorcery rather than miracles, but still.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

It's probably just the rounding that makes it look like that. Imagine a straight line in the middle there which gets rounded to the nearest integral number of iframes at those specific sample points.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Let me guess: these frames are still frames on PC.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

The pillars are broken and splintered Archtrees. It's likely that the memory takes place directly after the war with Lord Gwyn, given the sunlight and dryness of the area. The area is reminiscent of the Kiln of the First Flame in Dark Souls 1 with the exception that the Kiln had a massive retaining wall built around its perimeter.

I feel like the memory is probably sometime after the events of DaS1 rather than after Gwyn's war – Ash Lake shows that there are still a world's worth of archtrees and the lake itself, whereas the memory has the trees destroyed and the lake dried up. Doubling down on this, take a look at the landscape before you take the elevator up to the Aerie - the huge pillars of stone seem like the dead archtrees petrified (and still supporting what little life on top of them they can). The pillars surrounding Things Betwixt are reminiscent of this too, although what TB even is is kind of hard to pin down. I don't really get the Kiln comparison to dragon memories, since for me at least the only thing they really have in common is the lack of color, and being faded out is a thing for all the memories.

Vanderdeath posted:

Edit: This also makes me think that the Throne of Want is built from or on top of the remains of the Kiln of the First Flame or Firelink Shrine. I think that's mostly due to slight architectural similarities though.

This might also have to do with the fact that the First Flame is contained within the chamber of the Throne of Want, as far as the Emerald Herald's voiceover is any indication.

Mazed posted:

Also the name "Tark" being similar to "Tarkus" makes me believe he's actually from an alternate reality where Tarkus went to the Duke's Archives instead but got captured and turned into a scorpion guy along with what was probably one of the kidnapped maidens, who was Najka. The only problem with that theory is that Najka uses sorcery rather than miracles, but still.

Heck, it's probably not even a case of an alternate reality sort of thing, it's probably just Tarkus himself. If you think about how the Lord Souls survive in Drangleic, as well as the chosen undead presumably being the same as the cursed one, you can suppose that you just have to be exceptionally powerful to be reincarnated later on the endless time loop that is Lordran/Drangleic/Dark Souls. Tarkus probably just got the short end of the stick this time and instead of falling off the rafters, he was the exceptional soul that Seathe/Aldia plucked out of the ether to put into a manscorpion body. As for Najka, I'd imagine Aldia's weird soul implants might make you more attuned toward those sorts of arts while cutting you off from the gods because of being an abomination and whatnot.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They don't look anything like that.

Yeah, they do. Remember, the Witch of Izalith and her daughters summoned firestorms to scorch the nests of the Everlasting Dragons (who resided in the Archtrees). Those giant trunks are the remainders of that. You can see it in the opening movie of DkS1

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Still think the memory is a bitter memory of Seath's, remembering Guyra's death. Guyra is a big three eyed black dragon, after all, and Seath's betrayal would have lead to Guyra's death and the end to their struggle.

You know, cause this game couldn't be more King's Field if it tried.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

laplace posted:

Still think the memory is a bitter memory of Seath's, remembering Guyra's death. Guyra is a big three eyed black dragon, after all, and Seath's betrayal would have lead to Guyra's death and the end to their struggle.

Come on, Guyra was obviously Kalameet, where have you been? :rolleyes:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So BoB isn't any better. Takes forever to find someone. Literally everyone just spams dual avelyns and santier's spear. I think I'm about to call it for playing this game online because dear lord this is boring.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mazed posted:

Tark's dialogue and a lot of other stuff in Tseldora reference Seath very clearly. A "great pale beast" that "yearned for what it lacked" and all.
"Our Master never dies, only changes form so that he may seethe for all eternity." :derp:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How do you do setup parries? In the time between shifting my finger from the bumper to the trigger, I generally end up getting stabbed. :downs:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmLtJj7VoPc

Casting speed test.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Artificer posted:

How do you do setup parries? In the time between shifting my finger from the bumper to the trigger, I generally end up getting stabbed. :downs:

You need to be able to read the future in order to parrymost attacks, I just dodge or try to attack as well in hopes of getting a stagger.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Artificer posted:

If this is your problem, just have your index finger on the bumper and your middle finger on the trigger. :v:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

:eyepop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The last time that happened, the host was already dead by the time I got there.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I got stabbed with a poison channelers trident, apparently the stab attack hits multiple times so its actually really decent for poisoning folks.

Plus you can do the idiot dance with it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Casting speed from the weapon and casting speed on the character itself are wildly different, it's not even comparable.

My source is my own testing, as follows: If I have 9999 cast speed on my weapon, there's barely a boost from 110 staff cast. However, if I give myself a natural 9999 character cast speed, all of my magic is cast instantly.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I have 13 Shadow Tops and 0 Shadow Gauntlets why am I doing this to myself

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 15, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

The last time that happened, the host was already dead by the time I got there.

I got there pretty quick, host and invader were still buffing, I died the way I always die, to an infinitely long thrust weapon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Casting speed from the weapon and casting speed on the character itself are wildly different, it's not even comparable.

My source is my own testing, as follows: If I have 9999 cast speed on my weapon, there's barely a boost from 110 staff cast. However, if I give myself a natural 9999 character cast speed, all of my magic is cast instantly.

What about giving your staff 0 or negative cast speed? Does it still affect it? It could be a problem with how you're changing the staff castspeed.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

laplace posted:

Wasn't there a Tseldora in King's Field (II), too? It's been forever since I've played that game but I remember someone with a similar name being mentioned.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cardboard Box posted:

that's funny, because most people (myself included) will say the opposite, that the atmosphere in this game was much weaker. but if it was more effective for you then that's cool.

I think a HUGE contributor to my opinion is that I had been exposed to a great deal of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls footage and lore prior to playing either game. Had I played either with the extreme level of blindness I took with me into Dark Souls 2 (I had cut off all exposure for mooonths prior to the PC release), I could easily see my opinions being changed. So, I guess my difference of experience leaves me pretty biased, which...I hadn't really factored in prior to just this second.

The Iron Keep was amazing no matter what, though.

I also loved that moment of lighting the torches in the Undead Crypt. Those statues appearing in the darkness -- it just looked really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Vanderdeath posted:

Wasn't there a Tseldora in King's Field (II), too? It's been forever since I've played that game but I remember someone with a similar name being mentioned.

It's been a while since I've played any KF game except KFIV (which both Dark Souls are literally carbon copies of, seriously, both the earthen peak and new Londo are locations And Abyss Nashandra and her whole story is seriously the same as the Abyss Queen and the ancient city) but it might be. I played the original 3 in Japanese as well, so the transliteration might be a little different.

Edit: just a quick look over the KF info on the wiki also mentions that there is an area called Sacred Anor AND a sword called the 'Seath sword' in KF2, so.

laplace fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 15, 2014