Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Phylodox posted:

You don't roll your eyes at YOLO now?

I couldn't think of something fresher to compare to teh ok. What is the newest thing we will be rolling our eyes at soon? I don't even know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Eldercain posted:

I couldn't think of something fresher to compare to teh ok. What is the newest thing we will be rolling our eyes at soon? I don't even know.

your posting

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Another update to PBF.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

That...I'm really not sure where the joke in that is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

That...I'm really not sure where the joke in that is.

Think of a different definition of the word "dream" and apply the adjective "bad" to it from a parent's perspective.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Bongo Bill posted:

your posting

:iceburn:

Man I wish PBF wasn't on the "so infrequent it might as well not update" schedule. I have his book and everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Think of a different definition of the word "dream" and apply the adjective "bad" to it from a parent's perspective.

I thought it meant that creativity can arise from nightmares, and removing that source of creativity means a dull life. But hey, now I'm genuinely PBF-ing!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
drat did yall see this email about Max Temkin paying to mail out all the remaining John Campbell books? Thats cool of him

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

idonotlikepeas posted:

That's fair. I guess I'm biased because I already knew all those things about Tesla cars; someone coming to the comic without that knowledge might have found it more interesting.

I'd never even heard of a "Tesla Model S" until I read this so yeah, this actually was kind of informative. Although I do kind of want to know, "Is there, in fact, some kind of flaw I should be aware of before hypothetically investing in one of these cars, some kind of actual problem that can't be excused with yet another graphic description of Falkor's nads?"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'd never even heard of a "Tesla Model S" until I read this so yeah, this actually was kind of informative. Although I do kind of want to know, "Is there, in fact, some kind of flaw I should be aware of before hypothetically investing in one of these cars, some kind of actual problem that can't be excused with yet another graphic description of Falkor's nads?"

You may be able to find a thread about this in the car forum.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dr. Buttass posted:

It costs 80,000 dollars and it's entirely likely that there are not enough charging stations within 200 miles of you to ever make a road-trip with it feasible.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

drat did yall see this email about Max Temkin paying to mail out all the remaining John Campbell books? Thats cool of him

The internet is much smaller world then one might think apparently.

Or I share my interests with other nerds I guess.

SuitCase874
Aug 22, 2010

And it worked.

The Oatmeal is The Oatmeal, the Tesla comic I linked isn’t particularly remarkable for him until you get to that second part. I don’t feel like he deserves any large amount of criticism for making a great living out of a widely appealing comic. He doesn’t tend to hide the fact he runs a business. If I’m going to fight the good fight for art, I'd prefer to challenge the people who like dumb comics about razorblade pterodactyls, instead.

But the nature of the appeal to Musk made me queasy. I suppose he’s technically pushing for the glory of his museum but either way I think it was a remarkable little moment where an independent creator used all their public internet might to squeeze a rich guy into shelling out a lot of money. Turns out it was totally worth doing, but will he be remembered as a sleazebag or folk hero for making it all happen?

That’s when I start to feel frustrated with the artist and not just the people who enjoy his work.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had the misfortune of reading some of the Poppy O'Possum comments. It's sad that Poppy lost a reader but then again do you really want a reader where every fight has to be like a boss fight?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I had the misfortune of reading some of the Poppy O'Possum comments. It's sad that Poppy lost a reader but then again do you really want a reader where every fight has to be like a boss fight?

What get's me is that the person in the comments is getting called on their bull crap and just replying with the same form letter apology with an extra sentence tacked on the end. This person is acting like they are an editor or legitimate critic and they don't even know what direction the story is going in. I really dislike entitled pricks like that.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The person saying they were done with the series also made the first comment on the next page.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Not to mention that the lady who chumped Poda is, like, the Merlin of the comic's world going by prior evidence. Guy's a kook.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kramjacks posted:

The person saying they were done with the series also made the first comment on the next page.

quote:

Okay, I’ll admit I was taking things too far, and I apologize. Let’s just say it’s been a rough day for me and move on. But seriously, hush.

I’m still probably gonna keep reading.
:downs:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Last week I wondered whether Gustaff could really be dead if there was a panel of him comically drooling on the floor, guess I know what kind of comic I'm reading now! :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You should post some of the previous pages just to give a perspective on how jarring that was.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 15, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahah, that explains why I was certain I posted it. Just went in the wrong webcomics thread. :v:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I don't know if I really want context but everything about this page is glorious :stare:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I like this take on Chick Tracts.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't really know what is going on, but I like it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ever since Bad Machinery's Lottie overtook Linton as 'the one who's the most passionate about mysteries' I feel like he doesn't really have any personality outside of being kind of a jerk.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I think that what will happen is that Elon Musk will be remembered as a hero in this story, and Matt Inman will be a footnote. The act of asking someone for millions of dollars to do something isn't going to stick in the memory as well as the act of paying millions of dollars for something to happen.

Welp, we're done now. The perfect webcomic has been created. Pack it up, everyone who isn't this artist.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think that what will happen is that Elon Musk will be remembered as a hero in this story, and Matt Inman will be a footnote. The act of asking someone for millions of dollars to do something isn't going to stick in the memory as well as the act of paying millions of dollars for something to happen.

Welp, we're done now. The perfect webcomic has been created. Pack it up, everyone who isn't this artist.

And say what you will about the Oatmeal proper, at least he's asking for money for something that isn't total crap. As much as the early education system here has a hardon for Edison, we really could do with a meuseum for Tesla. Especially based at his old lab, preserved for that purpose.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Ever since Bad Machinery's Lottie overtook Linton as 'the one who's the most passionate about mysteries' I feel like he doesn't really have any personality outside of being kind of a jerk.

I feel like ever since they had their neanderthal puberty period that they've been changing. Jack is getting a little bit less sheepish, sonny is a bit more assertive, and linton seems to have been hit hardest by the bat and is now just a crank.

FWIW Allison seems to be much better at writing female characters anyways, most of his males are just the sum of their hobbies/jobs/activites. Bad machinery has better male character depth than SGR did for anyone except maybe eustace (and perhaps the ryan cleaning up arc), but it isn't perfect.

That is probably the harshest criticism I could make of it though, checking for a new BM or Bobbins is a highlight of my day.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Bongo Bill posted:

You may be able to find a thread about this in the car forum.

mr. stefan posted:

It costs 80,000 dollars and it's entirely likely that there are not enough charging stations within 200 miles of you to ever make a road-trip with it feasible.

I wasn't seriously asking, I was just acknowledging a flaw in the comic's format, but thanks all the same, that's useful to know.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
...is it just me, or does Sterling's rebuttal come off pretty poorly in the latest O Human Star, given the last page just established the contract is for medical prosthetics?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I dunno, I get the sense that Sterling's doing it out of greed or anything. He seems way too caught up in his work to not just be wanting proper funding for it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Look at his expressions before he gets his answer-- he's clearly not feeling super comfortable about asking for money.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that's definitely a case of "that just won't be enough".

Whatever happened to Necropolis?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Tollymain posted:

Whatever happened to Necropolis?
Guy got a book deal for it! He's also gonna illustrate a few issues of Ms Marvel. Always great to see good work be recognised!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I don't know what today's SFP is going on about, juice and a muffin is totally a meal.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Level Slide posted:

I don't know what today's SFP is going on about, juice and a muffin is totally a meal.

Especially since that looks like it could be a naked juice. That stuff is heavy.

I'm excited about the SFP kickstarter. I hope they have something cool but high profit margin that I can justify giving them a lot of money for.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
In the last Al-Rashad, I really like that Alric got his diving time quietly boosted so he could be part of the Jorrins. It's a nice bit of character development.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Bad Machinery, best thought bubble monologue?

"I bet Camille NEVER FARTS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Does anyone else here read Demon Kings? I really like the style, and found out about it recently. Haven't seen it mentioned here.

• Locked thread