Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

tijag posted:

When you say 'expensive to replace dampers', do you have a frame of reference for what that will cost?
I *think* people were quoting around $3 - $4K to replace all four but I could be mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How in the gently caress can a suspension cost $4,000 to replace?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

No. 6 posted:

Friend of mine has a Mercedes that's about $4,000 a corner. poo poo's crazy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

No. 6 posted:

Did you miss the part where they're electronically controlled?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah $4000 is the OEM electronically controlled dampers. Some people just opt for after market "regular" dampers and give up the ability to adjust the settings.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Insane. I would also be switching to normal springs/shocks at that price. How do they get around the ECU constantly throwing codes?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

No. 6 posted:

Insane. I would also be switching to normal springs/shocks at that price. How do they get around the ECU constantly throwing codes?
They don't. Switching over to regular shocks leaves you with a warning light on the dash for the dampers and you lose some of functionality of the chassis control system

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

They don't. Switching over to regular shocks leaves you with a warning light on the dash for the dampers and you lose some of functionality of the chassis control system

Is the primary cause of failure basically 'wear' or miles driven?

Or is there some time component where after 10 years if you've driven 70k miles or 130k miles, it's going to fail?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

tijag posted:

Is the primary cause of failure basically 'wear' or miles driven?

Or is there some time component where after 10 years if you've driven 70k miles or 130k miles, it's going to fail?
It's basically just wear/miles driven.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

420Chris posted:

Not all BPY engines are covered for some reason so hopefully yours is, it is quite common as you know, they will do an oil change as part of the camshaft repair to remove any metal, so far I don't think any bearing or engine failures from the metal have been documented, once they replace the camshaft, pump and lifter and the oil change you should be fine.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we've actually had 3 engine failures at my dealership due to this. A couple months after replacing the camshaft follower and camshaft, the oil pump seized, broke the oil pump chain, and then obviously all hell broke loose when there was no oil pressure. We suspect due to metal particles causing the oil pump to seize. All 3 of these failures happened soon after replacing the cams/followers. Granted, we've done hundreds of cams/followers with no problems, but just saying, it does happen.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Brain Issues posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we've actually had 3 engine failures at my dealership due to this. A couple months after replacing the camshaft follower and camshaft, the oil pump seized, broke the oil pump chain, and then obviously all hell broke loose when there was no oil pressure. We suspect due to metal particles causing the oil pump to seize. All 3 of these failures happened soon after replacing the cams/followers. Granted, we've done hundreds of cams/followers with no problems, but just saying, it does happen.

Mine is going in for service tomorrow for the this. Can I push them for oil pump replacement or is it covered when it breaks shortly after?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I *think* people were quoting around $3 - $4K to replace all four but I could be mistaken.
Which is pretty retarded pricing considering the relative simplicity of them.

Audi has metallic particulate in the damper oil and an electricmagnetic coil in the piston valve of the damper. VW has a bypass channel in the damper, that's controlled by an electromagnetic valve (to do essentially the same without metallic particulate). Nothing earth-shattering that I'd consider such a price hike over regular dampers.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

8ender posted:

Mine is going in for service tomorrow for the this. Can I push them for oil pump replacement or is it covered when it breaks shortly after?

Like I said, the chances are slim that would happen to you, and they definitely would not replace your oil pump before it's broken. Its a big job. Do a few oil changes after they replace your camshaft and follower and just hope that you got all the metal out. The dealer is probably only going to do one oil change and they might not even do that, the TSB doesn't say to do one, but it's obviously a good idea.

Most dealerships have probably never even seen the oil pump fail after a cam follower failure, but we're a very high volume dealership and have literally done hundreds of these, and we've seen only 3 total engine failures after the fact.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 15, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Like I said, the chances are slim that would happen to you, and they definitely would not replace your oil pump before it's broken. Its a big job. Do a few oil changes after they replace your camshaft and follower and just hope that you got all the metal out. The dealer is probably only going to do one oil change and they might not even do that, the TSB doesn't say to do one, but it's obviously a good idea.

Most dealerships have probably never even seen the oil pump fail after a cam follower failure, but we're a very high volume dealership and have literally done hundreds of these, and we've seen only 3 total engine failures after the fact.

This is going to worry the poo poo out of me, but thanks for the info. What happened to the people whose engines exploded? Was it covered by Audi?

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear
2008 GTI.

Floored it in 6th on the highway, boost suddenly cut out and the CEL flashed a few times. I've been getting boost cuts lately under moderate throttle, but this is the first time it's triggered a CEL.

From a quick Google search, it looks like this is either: diverter valve, coil pack, or worst case scenario, fuel pump.

Anyone had this problem?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My money is on the DV.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Only way to know for sure is pull the codes. Either go to the dealer or find someone with a VAG COM tool. Where are you located?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Speaking of VAG COM tool, does anyone happen to have one and live near Orlando? After some girl ran into me a couple months ago I had to drop my A4 off for service, they fixed most things, except the CEL that came on.

Eventually I got them to 'fix' it to which they said they simply sent it to an Audi-shop and they did a hard reset of the computer. Which to their credit did get rid of a not-real CEL, however the downside was that they also managed to get rid of my VAG COM editing I had done with an ebay-cable. Like the no seatbelt beep, getting the windows to roll up/down with my remote etc.

I really want to do it again but my old ebay cable has stopped working with my wife's laptop that I used before, so if anyone has one they'd let me use for a day or two and I'd ship it back that'd be great.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You're in luck. I have one and just moved to Orlando area. I'd be happy to pull your codes/change settings for you. Send me a PM and I'll give you my details.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

You're in luck. I have one and just moved to Orlando area. I'd be happy to pull your codes/change settings for you. Send me a PM and I'll give you my details.

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to keep a list of willing people with VCDS cables with their locations. I have a Micro-CAN cable in Austin that I'm willing to share.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

8ender posted:

This is going to worry the poo poo out of me, but thanks for the info. What happened to the people whose engines exploded? Was it covered by Audi?

Yeah we covered it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Audi promptly opened the discussion after finding the busted cam follower today asking if I had records of oil changes.

I told them i had bought the car two months ago and gave them the name of the independent VW shop that did most of the maintenance over the cars lifetime.

They just dropped the issue and decided to go ahead with a fuel pump, camshaft and follower replacement. I'm leaning on the service writer to have them at least drop the pan and inspect the oil pump.

I'm now driving a new Q5 loaner and it sucks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Trans Ferdinand posted:

2008 GTI.

Floored it in 6th on the highway, boost suddenly cut out and the CEL flashed a few times. I've been getting boost cuts lately under moderate throttle, but this is the first time it's triggered a CEL.

From a quick Google search, it looks like this is either: diverter valve, coil pack, or worst case scenario, fuel pump.

Anyone had this problem?

9 times out of 10 its the diverter valve.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

veedubfreak posted:

9 times out of 10 its the diverter valve.

My money's on a turbo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm a bit over 80,000 miles on my 2007 GTI with 2.0T FSI engine and want to make sure I'm not missing anything with the maintenance. This is what is listed in my manual:

Change oil
Lubricate doors
Change spark plugs
Replace air filter
Check coolant
Replace dust/pollen filter
Check timing belt condition
Check/adjust "ribbed" belt
Check transmission oil level
Check brake pads
Change brake fluid
Check power steering level
Clean/lubricate sunroof

Air filter was done 30k miles ago and I'm not in a hurry to do that. Cabin air filter was done 20k miles ago and will probably put that off for a bit, too.

There isn't anything about changing coolant in the manual, but I figure I should do that anyway. Does that get replaced with a timing belt job? I was going to get a mechanic to do the timing belt and the coolant while he's there.

I'll probably just replace the transmission fluid: it seems like an easy job.

My brake pads are the originals, but seem fine. ~1/2 my miles are done on the highway and I don't commute in stop and go traffic. Brake fluid is way over due: might teach myself how to do that myself.

Should the power steering fluid be replaced on a regular basis or is it a "lifetime of the vehicle" type thing?

Additional questions:
Are the coil packs a wear item? I'm getting a "shutter at idle" thing that is supposedly fixed with updated coil packs, but I got mine replaced because of a TSB at 32k miles with the supposedly "good" ones and it's still doing it. I was reading something about using coil packs from an R8 is the way to go.

My stock shocks still seem alright. The car isn't bouncy nor feels harsh. Seems like a thing that should be replaced now-ish, but I think I'm okay going longer on them...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Uthor posted:

I'm a bit over 80,000 miles on my 2007 GTI with 2.0T FSI engine and want to make sure I'm not missing anything with the maintenance.

:siren: :siren: :siren: CHECK CAM FOLLOWER :siren: :siren: :siren:

Check this part. Check it right now. I can't stress this enough. Check it before it fails. Don't drive the car until you do. You have an extended warranty on the part and any related damage but for the love of god don't let it spray metal throughout your engine like mine did when it failed. Check back the last couple pages to see my experience. I'm still waiting on the dealership to replace my camshaft, fuel pump, follower and whatever else is trashed. Then I get to wait and see if my oil pump or something else is going to poo poo itself and destroy my engine.

Here is a good writeup on how to check it:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102858

8ender fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 18, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Its super easy, just take care reinserting it so you don't cut the o-ring and have to go get new one.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Uthor posted:

Are the coil packs a wear item? I'm getting a "shutter at idle" thing that is supposedly fixed with updated coil packs, but I got mine replaced because of a TSB at 32k miles with the supposedly "good" ones and it's still doing it. I was reading something about using coil packs from an R8 is the way to go.

My stock shocks still seem alright. The car isn't bouncy nor feels harsh. Seems like a thing that should be replaced now-ish, but I think I'm okay going longer on them...

The rough idle is probably carbon buildup on the valves. It is a huge PITA to do yourself so I'd pay and indie shop to do it. Should be $4-500.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's not a rough idle, per se. Every once in a while when idling, I'll feel a little jerk, but the tachometer stays dead still. It's been that way since new. When I looked into it, the consensus was bad coil packs and VW went through many revisions of them since then. I supposedly now have the fixed ones, but it still does it sometimes. I saw some Internet chatter that the ones from the R8 fix the issue.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm pretty sure carbon buildup can cause that. It did in my '09 TSI. Maybe rough idle was the wrong phrase.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

tijag posted:

I'm contemplating a 2015 GTI and would love general impressions on the following options from this thread. I'm looking for opinions, whether something is nice, if something is durabable or not, and or whether it is 'worth' the upgrade.

1) performance pack [10 more HP, bigger brakes, LSD] - fairly certain I will be getting one with this
2) SE upgrade over the base 'S' [leather interior, better sound system, sunroof, rearview camera, touch entry/push button start] I'm strongly considering this because I really want the touch handle entry/rear view camera. My wife's car has those things and I really have come to love them. I've heard good things about the leather interior, but would love more feedback. The upgraded sound system is probably worth it for me as well. I hate sunroofs :\.
3) bi-xenon headlight upgrade
4) adaptive chassis control

I'm not against shelling out the extra few thousand if each of those upgrades is extremely gratifying in some way. But I have little to know experience with VAG and want some expert feedback.

Principal use of the car is daily driver to and from work. Total daily commute is probably not more than 30 miles a day. I expect I'll keep it for 10 years or so assuming it doesn't completely fall apart after the lease is up.

As you said, you probably need to check out the adaptive chassis control live but having a Passat CC with ACC I must say that the novelty of changing modes quickly wears of. I always have it in sport now, changing to comfort only when I go on longer trips with passengers.
I have ordered a GTD and didn't feel like adding ACC was necessary.

saihttam fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 19, 2014

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

saihttam posted:

As you said, you probably need to check out the adaptive chassis control live but having a Passat CC with ACC I must say that the novelty of changing modes quickly wears of. I always have it in sport now, changing to comfort only when I go on longer trips with passengers.
I have ordered a GTD and didn't feel like adding ACC was necessary.

This is exactly what I have been wondering about. I guess I'll still need to check it out for myself. What is the default ride like without the ACC? Is it like the 'sport' mode, and so basically with ACC you are gaining a cushier setting for situations where you don't' mind a bit more roll?

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Trans Ferdinand posted:

2008 GTI.

Anyone had this problem?

Happened again, this time the CEL stayed on. Got the code pulled, it's P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire. Car still drives fine, makes boost - I haven't pushed it since.

Probably a coil pack. Set up an appointment with an Austin indy shop. :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I replaced the exhaust on my Tiptronic B7 A4, it took like 11 loving hours because I had to Dremel out the last bolt holding the stock downpipe on. On the plus side, I'm now intimately familiar with the exhaust system, and how ridiculous you can get with combinations of ratchet extensions and U-joints.

Also turns out most documentation / guides are written for the 6MT, which has a lot more room up there.

I wonder what the book method of replacement is...it probably involves pulling the engine or something so you can pull the cat + downpipe, and then demate the downpipe from it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Set up an appointment with an Austin indy shop. :)

Could you let me know where you go and how you like them? I'm in Austin and I'll be needing a DSG fluid change soon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

smax posted:

Could you let me know where you go and how you like them? I'm in Austin and I'll be needing a DSG fluid change soon.

I've always had good luck with Pampered Auto Care in north Austin. I think they have a Cedar Park location too. Worked on a couple VAG jobs I didn't want to do.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

smax posted:

Austin Vee Dub is where I've taken it before (and where I made the appointment). Cool place, and there's always interesting VAG iron about.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

tijag posted:

This is exactly what I have been wondering about. I guess I'll still need to check it out for myself. What is the default ride like without the ACC? Is it like the 'sport' mode, and so basically with ACC you are gaining a cushier setting for situations where you don't' mind a bit more roll?

I've only tried the GTD once and it didn't have ACC but I felt the default ride is somewhere between the CC 'normal' and 'sport' (the CC is obviously bigger so it's hard to compare the two).
The ACC was standard in the CC so I didn't have a choice. I do like the cushier 'comfort' mode, but I use it too rarely to justify the cost in the more sporty GTD.

I don't think the default ride in a non-ACC GTD/GTI is the same as putting a ACC-equipped one in 'normal'. I'm guessing it's somewhere between 'sport' and 'normal', closer to 'sport' but I can be wrong.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Uthor posted:

It's not a rough idle, per se. Every once in a while when idling, I'll feel a little jerk, but the tachometer stays dead still. It's been that way since new. When I looked into it, the consensus was bad coil packs and VW went through many revisions of them since then. I supposedly now have the fixed ones, but it still does it sometimes. I saw some Internet chatter that the ones from the R8 fix the issue.

My 2012 GTI does this, did it since it was brand new when I drove it off the dealer lot. Seems strange that it'd be carbon buildup that early in the car's life but who knows. Seems to be a pretty common issue based on my internet research. Some people say it's the coilpacks but others say they replaced them and had no change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I got the little bumps at idle as well but I think that was due to the cam follower exploding. Feels fine today with a new cam, fuel pump, etc.