Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

King Doom posted:

There is a super weapon that can kill planets (There are two of them in each game world) but they take hours realtime to repair. It's possible your opponent found one or both of them. Keep your eye out for something flying about the size of a world. If you can't see it, then it sounds a lot like a bug, albeit one I've never seen.

God help you if a pirate gets a hold of one of them in the age of shadows too. Keep in mind that they don't have to worry about the reputation hit from using one. So nothing stops them from going all Palpatine on the entire galaxy if they want to clear a huge buffer between them and the empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Were you using the game editor? Were your enemies?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Were you using the game editor? Were your enemies?

Here's a better question. Is there an asteroid field in some of the systems now? It's been awhile since i've seen one touch off a planet, but I believe that asteroid fields are whatever is left of the destroyed planet. That's a pretty surefire way to know if someone used a planet destroyer on them or not.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 24, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

King Doom posted:

There is a super weapon that can kill planets (There are two of them in each game world) but they take hours realtime to repair. It's possible your opponent found one or both of them. Keep your eye out for something flying about the size of a world. If you can't see it, then it sounds a lot like a bug, albeit one I've never seen.

Just watch that you don't accidentally repair one, then accidentally blow up a planet.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Just watch that you don't accidentally repair one, then accidentally blow up a planet.

Emergent gameplay story.

They should all come online without notifying you and have their last target in memory so if you aren't paying attention and let it slip it goes and blows up a planet, potentially yours.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Emergent gameplay story.

They should all come online without notifying you and have their last target in memory so if you aren't paying attention and let it slip it goes and blows up a planet, potentially yours.

My greatest moments in this game came from unrestricted death star use. I had the biggest empire going at one point, and just started obliterating the last few peripheral empires that were bugging me, and my empire split like 4 times in outrage.

I've never played a strategy game that made the 'late' or end game stay interesting in that way.

Future generations no doubt concocted many theories about why there were so many derelict space stations but so few stars with intact planets.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Thanks for the info, I didn't see any indication of Super Weapon use whatsoever, but I've since moved on from that game session and it hasn't happened again, so whatever.

Though I have a question about the Death Star if you don't mind. I've found it a couple times during various sessions but I can't seem to do anything with it. I tried sending construction ships to repair it, and they go out and get to work, but a decade of in-game time can go by and nothing happens. This also applies to just random abandoned ships. I send out to have them repaired, and the construction ships start the work, but then it never completes. Am I doing something wrong?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Esroc posted:

Thanks for the info, I didn't see any indication of Super Weapon use whatsoever, but I've since moved on from that game session and it hasn't happened again, so whatever.

Though I have a question about the Death Star if you don't mind. I've found it a couple times during various sessions but I can't seem to do anything with it. I tried sending construction ships to repair it, and they go out and get to work, but a decade of in-game time can go by and nothing happens. This also applies to just random abandoned ships. I send out to have them repaired, and the construction ships start the work, but then it never completes. Am I doing something wrong?

No it just takes a really long time to fix them up. You'll be able to see them improve slowly. It's the same for all derelicts really.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Esroc posted:

In order to repair or build things, construction ships require materials. Most stations are pretty small and can be built with on-board resources. Larger things require delivery of materials to the site. Something as big as a Death Star is going to take a whole lot of AI-driven freighter trips to your work site.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

After awhile the repairs finally completed. I guess I was just being impatient. Doesn't help that I have to play on default time since speeding it up brings my computer to its knees.

How do you advance the plot? I've mapped the entire Galaxy, met every civilization both Empire and Independent, researched everything, and uncovered all the Galactic History that explains the Shakturi invasion and subsequent defeat at the hands of the Alliance virus. But everything stopped after that and it's been decades since I accomplished all that.

Since I've mapped everything there's no more hidden stations or relic sites, my Exploration Ships don't even do anything anymore except park in my territory and chill. I googled it and only found vague answers that it "might" be tied to the overall tech level of the Galaxy, but nothing more substantial than that. Which, if that's case, it makes sense since all the other empires are lagging way behind me in tech. I'm not sure how to check their levels exactly, but via research trading and looking at what they can take from me, I'm putting a guess at the most advanced being around level 4-ish and the rest barely past level 2.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Esroc posted:

After awhile the repairs finally completed. I guess I was just being impatient. Doesn't help that I have to play on default time since speeding it up brings my computer to its knees.

How do you advance the plot? I've mapped the entire Galaxy, met every civilization both Empire and Independent, researched everything, and uncovered all the Galactic History that explains the Shakturi invasion and subsequent defeat at the hands of the Alliance virus. But everything stopped after that and it's been decades since I accomplished all that.

Since I've mapped everything there's no more hidden stations or relic sites, my Exploration Ships don't even do anything anymore except park in my territory and chill. I googled it and only found vague answers that it "might" be tied to the overall tech level of the Galaxy, but nothing more substantial than that. Which, if that's case, it makes sense since all the other empires are lagging way behind me in tech. I'm not sure how to check their levels exactly, but via research trading and looking at what they can take from me, I'm putting a guess at the most advanced being around level 4-ish and the rest barely past level 2.

Yeah, it's the overall tech level. I noticed in my game where I built a massive galaxy-spanning empire and hedged the other races out that the Shakturi didn't appear until long after I'd basically filled in the entire tech tree. In another where I'd limited myself to being a regional power and kept more in line with the other races they appeared when I was making the transition towards the final ship components.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Well it's been decades upon decades in-game and the rest of the Galaxy is still trying to catch up. No Shakturi yet. My empire spans roughly half the Galaxy, with the other half broken up between sixteen other empires. Two of them dwarf the other fourteen, who have at most two colonies each. Most only have one. The second largest military to my own is barely 15% of my military strength. Also, all the empires have good behavior (which has actually been kind of annoying) with reputations ranging from satisfactory to admired. In the entire game no one has even attempted to overthrow another empire.

So, since I'm already so powerful and established should it be safe to just give most of my tech to the other empires to move this along? Or do I run the risk of shooting myself in the foot later in the game? Even if it does create problems later, I'm tempted to do it anyways because honestly this session has been boring as hell. Restless settings on Very Hard but none of the other Empires seem to have any desire to engage in conflict.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 2, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Have you gotten the new government type? That's the last part of the chain. If not try re-scouting everything. I'm not kidding. The game seems to spawn a new station for each part. In my last game the final station literally spawned next to my homeworld.

Also make sure you've repaired all the derelict ships in the testing zones.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Travic posted:

Have you gotten the new government type? That's the last part of the chain. If not try re-scouting everything. I'm not kidding. The game seems to spawn a new station for each part. In my last game the final station literally spawned next to my homeworld.

Also make sure you've repaired all the derelict ships in the testing zones.

Yeah, I switched to Way of the Ancients forever ago. I've fixed up most of the derelicts, but there's a few stragglers here and there I didn't bother with after I got bored of managing my construction ships. I'll go grab them and see what happens. How can I re-scout without sending a explorer to each and every system manually? On auto they just sit around since I've mapped the galaxy.

Also, is there a way to gift colonies to other Empires? I've looked but can't seem to find any and there's a Naxxilian empire off in a corner that cropped up in the only spot on the map with only one star system in a 3x3 sector grid (it's surrounded by gas clouds, however). I don't think they can expand any further since I have a 2 sector colony limit in place.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Esroc posted:

Yeah, I switched to Way of the Ancients forever ago. I've fixed up most of the derelicts, but there's a few stragglers here and there I didn't bother with after I got bored of managing my construction ships. I'll go grab them and see what happens. How can I re-scout without sending a explorer to each and every system manually? On auto they just sit around since I've mapped the galaxy.

Also, is there a way to gift colonies to other Empires? I've looked but can't seem to find any and there's a Naxxilian empire off in a corner that cropped up in the only spot on the map with only one star system in a 3x3 sector grid (it's surrounded by gas clouds, however). I don't think they can expand any further since I have a 2 sector colony limit in place.

The best way I've found for scouting is load a bunch of explorers up with (Ultra)Long Range Scanners and sweep the galaxy. Plop them down so they get good coverage over a quadrant, wait for the sensor to activate (grey circle) then move on.

:edit: Oh I almost forgot. Have you activated the beacon? I've had to manually activate it in every game I've played so far. Open your galaxy map and select ruins, find the one that says Black Gate or Great Beacon of Shaktur, and send a new exploration ship.

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 2, 2014

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
In games like that I just tend to use the editor to add half a dozen or so new worlds to every races home system they can colonise, plus a bunch of worlds with resources they need.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Travic posted:

:edit: Oh I almost forgot. Have you activated the beacon? I've had to manually activate it in every game I've played so far. Open your galaxy map and select ruins, find the one that says Black Gate or Great Beacon of Shaktur, and send a new exploration ship.

That was it! Found the Beacon right on the edge of my territory and activated it and everything has started. Now I feel kind of stupid that I've been playing for hours upon hours just waiting, assuming that they'd show up on their own after awhile, when the entire time I needed to activate that Beacon. But, thanks!

On an unrelated note. While I was foolishly waiting, an empire of Tairoshan's (from the Extended races mod) grew at a staggering rate. They managed to eclipse me in every category except militarily, which they're dangerously close to matching, and spread all over pretty much every unclaimed system left in the galaxy. They're well-behaved, but I was kind of pissy that I wasn't the Big Bad anymore but I also didn't want to drag through a huge war again since I just finished vacuuming up some of the smaller empires surrounding my territory.

So I set up some trade sanctions and blockades, sent my Agents to work with rebellion and assassination missions, and within a few years managed to break the Tairoshan Empire up into like eight different mini-empires. The Tairoshan Remnant (which I renamed them to in the editor, god I love having that thing built in) is now barely a pale shadow of its former self.

May not be a big thing, but to me being able to dismantle an entire empire without really firing a shot is an accomplishment I'm proud of.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I'm still trying to figure out if slavery is actually a viable tactic or if I'm just being space racist.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Hey, I'm finally getting around to playing this.

Should I be turning on "Enforce Colonization Range Limits"?

Normally I'd just wing it, but with games like this, I hate getting five hours into it and going, "I shouldn't have turned that setting on."

Also, does the game scale the number of starting other empires based on the galaxy size, etc. that you have chosen? It's defaulting to 11, which seems like a lot.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Hey, I'm finally getting around to playing this.

Should I be turning on "Enforce Colonization Range Limits"?

Normally I'd just wing it, but with games like this, I hate getting five hours into it and going, "I shouldn't have turned that setting on."

Also, does the game scale the number of starting other empires based on the galaxy size, etc. that you have chosen? It's defaulting to 11, which seems like a lot.

Enforcing colony range limits keeps your Empire from going too wide too soon in the session, which in my opinion is a good thing because this is a game where it's very easy to stretch yourself too thin. I had an early game, when I was first learning all the mechanics, where I actually ran out of fuel because I was grabbing up colonies several sectors away and hadn't yet researched much of the engine efficiency tech's.

The starting empires always defaults to 11 for me, but it doesn't really matter. Because that only controls the already established empires at game start. Independent empires and rebellions will pop up throughout the galaxy as the game progresses and you'll likely end up with dozens more empires than you started with initially. In my current game I started with five Empires (myself included) in a 15x15 sector galaxy intending to allow lots of room for everyone to grow. But right now I'm at something around 20-ish individual Empires due to independent colonies stepping up and my dismantling of another empire I talked about in my last post.

Also, I find it's better to not use the Empire auto generator checkbox. Just create the empires you want in the box below it and leave everything random. It appears to me that using the auto generator checkbox makes every empire use the same settings you are which means you'll all start the same. But using the "add empire" box below it will randomize them so the galaxy is more varied. At least, that's been my experience.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There are some DW: Universe screenshots up on the Matrix forum-

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3579387

Looks like it's still about 6 weeks away. I can't say I'm that excited about it (more Star Trek mods!), but I am interested to see what they are going to do with Distant Worlds 2.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Game crashed in the middle of a save and became corrupted and I didn't think to keep a backup. I just lost a 30+ hour session. :negative:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You were going to play another one anyway. It's the nature of space4X games.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Esroc posted:

Game crashed in the middle of a save and became corrupted and I didn't think to keep a backup. I just lost a 30+ hour session. :negative:

I "only" paid ~60$ for the series (Christmas sale) but you would think that for 100$ normal price they'd manage to keep it from crashing/corrupting saves quite so often.

On that note, what is the relationship of DW: Universe to people who have already bought titles? Is there an upgrade, or do they want us to buy the whole thing over again?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's a new expansion focused on bug fixes and modding. So far I see no reason to give it the time of day.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Gyrotica posted:

I "only" paid ~60$ for the series (Christmas sale) but you would think that for 100$ normal price they'd manage to keep it from crashing/corrupting saves quite so often.

On that note, what is the relationship of DW: Universe to people who have already bought titles? Is there an upgrade, or do they want us to buy the whole thing over again?

According to the forums they will offer a cheaper upgrade package for people who already own the previous version.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

So I finally got around to playing as a pirate and either I'm doing something very wrong or the pirate gameplay is horribly broken.

I've tried all four pirate flavors, and no matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, I can't keep myself out of the red economically. I've tried doing everything as slow as possible, even going so far as to scrap ships I steal so I don't shoot myself in the foot with maintenance costs. But even with protection agreements with every empire and multiple successful missions, I still end up in the negative by a few in-game weeks and can never crawl out of that hole. Which means I never have enough cash to build pirate bases, much less anything else.

Also, even when playing as a smuggler the smuggling missions actually cost me money. At least according to my empire summary. My yearly income from smuggling, even as a smuggler, is always negative. Which is partly what leads me to believe the pirate faction is broken.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 9, 2014

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I finally went in the editor and gave myself a size 400 (max), 100% quality homeworld.

44 billion people. :stare:

I think I'm gonna need bigger passenger ships. :science:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So apparently they've posted exerpts from the modding guide to universe, to show what you'll be able to do with it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1414/Distant.Worlds:.Universe.Guides.to.modding

Honestly, I'm mostly interested in what sort of potential scenarios you can make, which they don't show. I have a couple of ideas I'd like to try.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That looks like a pretty dramatic expansion of the modding capabilities, which is always a good thing. It'll be very fun to see what comes out of it.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Installed it again after not having played it for a while and the game crashes on loading ingame :( I couldn't find any related crashes on the forums.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Zombie #246 posted:

Installed it again after not having played it for a while and the game crashes on loading ingame :( I couldn't find any related crashes on the forums.

If the game crashes, 90% of the time it is because there is too much poo poo going on. Try creating a smaller universe.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'm thinking about getting back into this game but I've got a question that I think some more avid players would be able to answer. The problems I've run into when building ships and industry has been that I never really seem to run out of stuff. Certain stations can run out of resources but it's simply just a matter of waiting until a civilian transport brings in the supplies after a short while. I never really see any "fights over resources" from my end.

I imagine this can be rectified by changing some of the starting conditions to make colonies and resources more sparse. What settings do you use when you're starting a game?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
You really haven't played for awhile, have you? one of the biggest most requested features recently was a way to disable the fifty billion YOU HAVE A RESOURCE SHORTAGE messages you get every second.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

King Doom posted:

You really haven't played for awhile, have you? one of the biggest most requested features recently was a way to disable the fifty billion YOU HAVE A RESOURCE SHORTAGE messages you get every second.

Yeah but he's right. Resources are effectively infinite and if you design your own stations you will never want for anything ever. The AI is programmed to fight over the super resources but that's about it. Once you your empire hits critical mass your resources will continue to stack up in your galactic stockpile and you won't ever be able to build enough poo poo to experience anything beyond short local shortages. It's my primary gripe with the game, designing your own stuff is cool but it's also hilariously broken when you can just poo poo out a station with 300 labs on our Homeworld and never need to build another one ever again.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

Somebody finally got their head out of their rear end, it seems.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sky Shadowing posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

Somebody finally got their head out of their rear end, it seems.

Well before you say anything we've got to wait and see how much they'll charge for it. I understand that it contains 5 games, but they're games in a niche genre, are relatively old, and have really low production qualities compared to other games in the genre (and those other games charge way less than what Distant Worlds costs). No one on steam would buy the package for the normal matrix price.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think I've read somewhere that this is a stand-alone, so I don't expect it will be the 100+ outrageous price that we've dealt with in the past, and that there will be a discount for people who own all three previous expansion packs.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
If I get a discount for owning all the previous packs, I'd be totally down for rebuying the game on steam. Matrix games is weird as hell about letting you redownload your games. At least on Steam I know I'll always have access to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
They posted on the quarter to 3 forums that it will be $59.99. $49.99 for pre-order. $10 discount for each installment already owned, though that must be done through matrix. Steam key will be provided.

• Locked thread