Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If I had a soft duckling at my desk to pet I might spend less time thinking about punching people in the head.

I worked 18 hours yesterday due to a day long management meeting I had to be early for and a major network upgrade that ran until 1am.

I was in early this morning to make sure the upgrade wasn't doing anything weird and got permission from one of my bosses to go home at noon.

Before I got home the horrid assistant that wants my head on a plate started sending me a string of her usual bullshit complaints and I wound up being at home for maybe 20 minutes before I had to come back and deal with her.

Definitely had enough of this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
...to setup an MFP on a corporate laptop for somebody. I call the company helpdesk and they remote in for the escalations necessary to install the software.

We can't get scanning working, though. We eventually launch the settings program as admin and we're able to add the unit. Then we realize we have to launch the actually scanning program as admin too. Every time. I realize this is going to shock you all, but home MFP software is very shoddily written.

So the desktop guy just says "Well, I guess this guy just isn't going to get to scan. I'll send him an e-mail letting him know."

I actually did a fist pump. It turns out that sometimes people aren't too big for policy :3:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A postponement came in...

They postponed a go-live for which I'm doing night shafts for the second time. Now it's pushed out some weeks.

I moved my on-call and cancelled plans for this poo poo. Granted, I got a freebie day off and will roll with the punches either way, but it makes the organization look unprofessional to the client when you push things back time and time again.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

So you found something wrong, told the appropriate person, and then he and anyone he touched were promptly axed? :tinfoil:

CTO was thrown under the bus for the breach. I was walked out for refusing to release a build that wasn't releasable, as part of a larger housecleaning.

Place was a complete shitshow. Their internal recruiter called me a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I'd be interested in coming back, raise, promotion, etc.

I laughed, asked her to please lose my contact information, and hung up.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 15, 2014

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Inspector_666 posted:

...to setup an MFP on a corporate laptop for somebody. I call the company helpdesk and they remote in for the escalations necessary to install the software.

We can't get scanning working, though. We eventually launch the settings program as admin and we're able to add the unit. Then we realize we have to launch the actually scanning program as admin too. Every time. I realize this is going to shock you all, but home MFP software is very shoddily written.

So the desktop guy just says "Well, I guess this guy just isn't going to get to scan. I'll send him an e-mail letting him know."

I actually did a fist pump. It turns out that sometimes people aren't too big for policy :3:

Wait, are you a tech? Without sufficient privileges to install printer software?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dick Trauma posted:

If I had a soft duckling at my desk to pet I might spend less time thinking about punching people in the head.

That's like 50% of the reason my wife wanted to get them, the other 50% was the eggs.

quote:

I worked 18 hours yesterday due to a day long management meeting I had to be early for and a major network upgrade that ran until 1am.

I was in early this morning to make sure the upgrade wasn't doing anything weird and got permission from one of my bosses to go home at noon.

Before I got home the horrid assistant that wants my head on a plate started sending me a string of her usual bullshit complaints and I wound up being at home for maybe 20 minutes before I had to come back and deal with her.

Definitely had enough of this place.

Ugh sorry dude. We might be hiring soon in Portland, but I think the job is below you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gilok posted:

Wait, are you a tech? Without sufficient privileges to install printer software?

We're kind of just contracted "smart hands" or whatever for a couple of enterprise clients. So we don't actually have any account access to the corporate computers. It's dumb, and usually we're just getting given stuff for their personal machines that the company is covering for whatever reason.

At least the actual helpdesk people for this company are worth a poo poo. The other one is staffed by the most useless people on the planet who apparently aren't responsible for anything ever.

For example, they once had me remote into one of their computers so they could open a Bomgar session with the end user so I could install a network printer on it. As in, I had already confirmed it was on the network and working, and these people had no idea how to install it in Windows 7. It was unreal.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 15, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just spent all night benchmarking a piece of hardware for a competitive takeover. I then figured I deserved a reward for spending my Wednesday night working, so I bought myself a gift.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Good choice

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
... on an open ticket. Ticket owner is in training.

Customer essentially wants us to install just security updates on their RedHat that they don't have a license for currently.

Obviously CentOS updates are an option, albeit not best option. Turns out also not to give him what he wants.

I find out the next day that he has had a RedHat Satellite server. Which they've already registered the maximum amount of systems with.

Yeah, nope. You'll have to pay for the licenses. I can't do anything else for you.

Also: love the "THIS A PRODUCTION SERVER. We can't take the time to Troubleshoot! Replace the parts which the server will have to go down to do anyways."

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in:

Clients Lawyer posted:

"I need a report of who has access to which folder on the S drive. Please compile it and have it emailed to me by lunch thanks!"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in:

So they're asking you for the thing which your management expressly forbid you from doing? And it's a lawyer doing it?

:allears: IT BEGINS :unsmigghh:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in:

Is the now because it is hard to do (it isn't so I assume it isn't that)? I never touch a request from legal directly until it goes through a shitload of layers and has an owner/responsible party attached to it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

demonachizer posted:

Is the now because it is hard to do (it isn't so I assume it isn't that)? I never touch a request from legal directly until it goes through a shitload of layers and has an owner/responsible party attached to it.

Do the actual work, no problem, do it by lunch today? no

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in:

I know you're laughing at this, but this tool actually works pretty good: http://www.cjwdev.com/Software/NtfsReports/Info.html

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nexxai posted:

I know you're laughing at this, but this tool actually works pretty good: http://www.cjwdev.com/Software/NtfsReports/Info.html

Huh no poo poo, added to my toolbox. Thanks.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Today the office admin called in that someone in our board room was having issues with the projector. The ceiling projector is out of commision right now, so folks have been using a portable unit in the meantime. I knew the user in the board room had reserved that room and a portable so I was wondering what could be wrong.

Got to the board room and the user had the VGA cable from the ceiling unit plugged into the VGA port on the portable, his laptop wasn't connected to anything. The portable was firing at the wall and he hadn't taken the lens cap off, so when I did this, it felt hot enough to catch on fire. He asked why the image from his laptop screen wasn't displaying on the projector, so I just took the VGA cable from the portable and plugged it into his laptop. We don't have any kind of wireless display set up with any of our projectors so I'm not sure what kind of magic he thought was going on.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
We have had someone who's been working on a piece of equipment in a lab for months now.

User came in today and complained that the equipment (a video caliper and a signal amplifier) was not working properly.

User had turned off both pieces of equipment yesterday, and forgot to turn them on today. It's not like any of this equipment has pretty LEDs on the front to tell you if its on or not.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

A notice came in...

The 2nd dumbest tech we have is leaving! I'm excited because this person was the only other tech (besides me) not circling the retirement toilet in the next 5 years. :woop: This person unsurprisingly didn't get a better offer in town.. they're moving out of state for reasons I couldn't care less about. :byewhore:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BusinessWallet posted:

Got to the board room and the user had the VGA cable from the ceiling unit plugged into the VGA port on the portable, his laptop wasn't connected to anything. The portable was firing at the wall and he hadn't taken the lens cap off, so when I did this, it felt hot enough to catch on fire. He asked why the image from his laptop screen wasn't displaying on the projector, so I just took the VGA cable from the portable and plugged it into his laptop. We don't have any kind of wireless display set up with any of our projectors so I'm not sure what kind of magic he thought was going on.
I had a user try to hook up her laptop at a vacant desk by crawling under the desk and uplugging the network cable from the wall then plugging that end into her laptop, so the cable's running from the laptop to the desktop that normally sits there. She did this twice. Some people really don't understand cables.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Knormal posted:

I had a user try to hook up her laptop at a vacant desk by crawling under the desk and uplugging the network cable from the wall then plugging that end into her laptop, so the cable's running from the laptop to the desktop that normally sits there. She did this twice. Some people really don't understand cables anything.

I fixed it for you.

Most of the time I am amazed they're able to find their way to work. At least this one had the basic concept of this thing going into that thing, though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Aaand done.

Notice put in, new contract signed.

New job is more than double the pay with 12 weeks of vacation a year for interesting dev work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Aaand done.

New job is more than double the pay with 12 weeks of vacation a year for interesting dev work.

Living the dream man.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Aaand done.

12 weeks?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I don't even know man.

My contract forbids me from working more than 200 days a year.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Aaand done.

:toot: How did they react to the news?

e: Forbids? What kind of crazy dream planet are you on currently?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

:toot: How did they react to the news?

e: Forbids? What kind of crazy dream planet are you on currently?

I am permitted to work a maximum of 200 days unless my contract is renegotiated.

My boss is super sad and we're going to negotiate some part time project work at a higher rate if I have time once I start the new place.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

I don't even know man.

My contract forbids me from working more than 200 days a year.

Is this for a US company?

This sounds like a German company I know

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is this for a US company?

This sounds like a German company I know

This is in Canada.

Clauses like that are common on contract work where they want to avoid horrible cost overrun.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

This is in Canada.

Clauses like that are common on contract work where they want to avoid horrible cost overrun.

Huh that's cool. Best of luck

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is the double pay based on hourly rate or annualized? If it's hourly then you may not be making quite as much as you think since you'll only be working 1600 hours/year. Still probably more thank you were making before though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Is the double pay based on hourly rate or annualized? If it's hourly then you may not be making quite as much as you think since you'll only be working 1600 hours/year. Still probably more thank you were making before though.

I will be making more than double my current salary working 1500 hours a year at the new job.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Aaand done.

What the loving gently caress? You get a summer off if you want?

I thought I had a good gig....

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
12 weeks is cool and all but I think I'd have a hard time spending it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not me man. I'd rather sit at home doing absolutely nothing and get paid than be at work getting paid. I got video games to play.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If it's to control costs then I presume it's 12 weeks of unpaid vacation?

Still, congrats. :yotj:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

12 weeks is cool and all but I think I'd have a hard time spending it.

Exactly. I'm :yotj: ing to a job with only 6 weeks vacation per year instead of 7. It wasn't the reason I got a new job, but it's not really a downside since it gets replaced with other benefits like the first and second day off as PTO when one of the kids are sick.

As an extra bonus HR calculated my accumulated PTO and unspent vacation, and will be adding an extra ~$8500 to my next paycheck - after taxes.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Did my first malicious hardware replacement today!

We got a bunch of Lenovo T430's in (a tiny, incremental upgrade from our 420s). We weren't upgrading anybody, just using them as replacement stock for broken laptops.

We had one user flip out, saying she was constantly getting BSoDs on a Win7 PC and she couldn't work like it anymore, and so forth and so on until she got a 430.

We just got in some newer models, and she throws the same tantrum: all of a sudden her PC is constantly BSoDing, she can't work, yada yada.

So she's getting a 420 replacement.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's enough time that I can just do an additional contract if I want, should be okay?

It's enough more per year that I'm very, very happy to have it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

So she's getting a 420 replacement.

While I know exactly what you mean, I'm imagining you replacing her computer with a bong or similar.

I think for some users this would improve things dramatically.

• Locked thread