Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If you want to backup your poo poo you'll need to use Helium (which is exactly what the toolkit would do, which is run adb backup). Do that.

Once done you'll unlock the bootloader with fastboot which will wipe the device. Allow it to boot up (this is important now). Boot back to the bootloader and with fastboot flash a custom recovery, then with the recovery flash the superuser app of your preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Tunga is right. Just install the SDK and do it the way you're supposed to. It's a matter of typing three lines.

With a Mac or a Linux box it's even easier, since you don't have to mess around trying to get Windows drivers to work.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Anyone have any idea why this happens seemingly randomly? I'm running Cm 10.2 on a Galaxy S II. It'll look fine for a while, then out of nowhere the first four characters of the labels for the home screen icons, and occasionally the menu as well get replaced by ellipsis. A reboot seems to fix it temporarily.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stockwell posted:

Anyone have any idea why this happens seemingly randomly? I'm running Cm 10.2 on a Galaxy S II. It'll look fine for a while, then out of nowhere the first four characters of the labels for the home screen icons, and occasionally the menu as well get replaced by ellipsis. A reboot seems to fix it temporarily.

it's got to be the launcher. is that Trebuchet or some third party launcher?

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

LastInLine posted:

it's got to be the launcher. is that Trebuchet or some third party launcher?

Yeah its Trebuchet, I didn't really think about the launcher being the issue for some reason. It's odd since it's been working fine for months and haven't done any updates recently. Anyways I installed Nova launcher and it seems good so far, pretty responsive compared to Trebuchet as well.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a way to use WiFi tether on a rooted N4 running 4.4.2? I have an unlimited data plan and I don't want the carrier to be able to detect tethering and change it. TIA.
I use this Xposed module on my Moto X, it also works on the N4
http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.makuser.nexussms

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got the Nexus rooted, no thanks to Helium which didn't recognize the backup files since I didn't buy their pro version. So far so good, but is there a way to permanently grant a app access? I hate having to go into Adblock every 15 minutes because it kills the internet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rirse posted:

I got the Nexus rooted, no thanks to Helium which didn't recognize the backup files since I didn't buy their pro version. So far so good, but is there a way to permanently grant a app access? I hate having to go into Adblock every 15 minutes because it kills the internet.

Isn't there a checkbox on the popup that says "remember this decision" or "don't prompt again" or something?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't there a checkbox on the popup that says "remember this decision" or "don't prompt again" or something?

Yeah I finally saw that and it stopped having that issue. Also thankfully while Helium failed, I did a second backup that did work.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Is Quiet mode working for anyone on CM 10.1? I have to configured to silent everything from 22:00-07:00 but I still head notifications in that window, toggling seems to fix it for that night but the next day the same thing happens.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ashex posted:

Is Quiet mode working for anyone on CM 10.1? I have to configured to silent everything from 22:00-07:00 but I still head notifications in that window, toggling seems to fix it for that night but the next day the same thing happens.

I don't know what device is yours but you should try update CM to 10.2.1 stable if you can, I have it on a Galaxy S and an Asus TF201 and quiet mode works perfectly.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I don't know what device is yours but you should try update CM to 10.2.1 stable if you can, I have it on a Galaxy S and an Asus TF201 and quiet mode works perfectly.

Well shoot, I have an i9100 and 10.1.3 is the latest stable. Guess I'll keep waiting for CM11.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashex posted:

Well shoot, I have an i9100 and 10.1.3 is the latest stable. Guess I'll keep waiting for CM11.

The "M" releases are now the "stable" apparently since CM11 M4. They touch on it a bit in the release notes for the recent M6 update: http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cyanogenmod-11-0-m6-release

There's a version for i9100, and personally on the GS4 I've been happy with CM11 since M2, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

wolrah posted:

The "M" releases are now the "stable" apparently since CM11 M4. They touch on it a bit in the release notes for the recent M6 update: http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cyanogenmod-11-0-m6-release

There's a version for i9100, and personally on the GS4 I've been happy with CM11 since M2, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.

I saw that in the release notes but I'm still a little hesitant to flash it. I have clear memories of CM8/9 being buggy on release and having to wait for .1 to get rid of the flakiness.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashex posted:

I saw that in the release notes but I'm still a little hesitant to flash it. I have clear memories of CM8/9 being buggy on release and having to wait for .1 to get rid of the flakiness.

So take a backup and if it sucks you can revert? I know where you're coming from there, on my Evo I went back and forth a few dozen times both for CM7 and CM9 before they'd get stable enough to be worth switching to full time. That said a lot has stabilized in Android as a whole since then so neither I nor my housemates have done any downgrading since 4.2 on a variety of devices. Even if something does go wrong, when you have a popular device like that with a proper unlocked bootloader and custom recovery it's pretty hard to end up in a situation where restoring a backup won't solve everything in 15 minutes or less.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

So take a backup and if it sucks you can revert? I know where you're coming from there, on my Evo I went back and forth a few dozen times both for CM7 and CM9 before they'd get stable enough to be worth switching to full time. That said a lot has stabilized in Android as a whole since then so neither I nor my housemates have done any downgrading since 4.2 on a variety of devices. Even if something does go wrong, when you have a popular device like that with a proper unlocked bootloader and custom recovery it's pretty hard to end up in a situation where restoring a backup won't solve everything in 15 minutes or less.
wolrah is exactly right here but my experience toward the end of my using CM has been the opposite with regards to the bolded part. I don't know if since incorporating the contributors who were doing a lot of the bugfixing vanished or if Android is getting too complex for the CM structure to address properly but when I was using CM in the 11/10.2 days on my Nexus there were a fair number of bugs that just cropped up never to get fixed. Features added seemed half-baked and wonky compared to equivalent features Google would roll into Android. (A good example would be the one Stockwell mentioned above. I understand needing to roll your own launcher but Trebuchet had never ever been stable for me.)

I appreciate that Samsung users generally want a better experience out of their devices and CM fulfills that need, but as a Nexus user using CM by the middle of the Jelly Bean era meant buggy software with minor improvements over stock and once Xposed/GravityBox matured, I just gave up altogether.

Like wolrah says though, a nandroid is but twenty minutes away if it doesn't work out.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I feel the same about CM. I first used it in 2010 (CM7?) on a nexus one because I wanted proper arabic RTL and it was the first to have it, ran wonderfully on my phone. I stuck CM89 on a Vibrant a couple years later and it was a little flaky but workable, CM9 a year later on a G2 and I was dealing with a crashing keyboard and occasional Airplane mode lockups. After that I was pretty much done and tried other roms. My Nexus stays stock unless there's something I need.

I use this phone for Work so I always try to stick with stable releases, that said M6 should be plenty stable and I've always got nandroid if it doesn't work out.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 13, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A little off topic, but can someone make a new thread for Rooting? The OP is banned and hasn't been updated in a few years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There was no CM8

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

dissss posted:

There was no CM8

Yeah, but at least it was stable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rirse posted:

A little off topic, but can someone make a new thread for Rooting? The OP is banned and hasn't been updated in a few years.
The reason we haven't is because there isn't a common method for doing it, there isn't a single resource to point to, and there aren't common reasons for doing it. The consequences differ and use cases differ.

It's just too broad a topic and would pretty much just say "Read xda for your phone's peculiarities and ask questions about rooted devices here" which isn't very informative and doesn't do anything this thread doesn't already do with its banned, old OP.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The reason we haven't is because there isn't a common method for doing it, there isn't a single resource to point to, and there aren't common reasons for doing it. The consequences differ and use cases differ.
I did a presentation about rooting at work and at the end there was a slide on how to root non-Nexus devices.

1) Sell your phone.
2) Buy a good phone.
3) Stop making terrible life choices.

Simple :smug: .

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

I did a presentation about rooting at work and at the end there was a slide on how to root non-Nexus devices.

1) Sell your phone.
2) Buy a good phone.
3) Stop making terrible life choices.

Simple :smug: .

Show me your 32/64Gb sdcard, your easily removable battery or good camera :smugdog:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Show me your 32/64Gb sdcard, your easily removable battery or good camera :smugdog:
Why do you need root? I mean, you have all of those things whether you root or not.

I'm not picking on you (I remember working with you when you had the Nexus), but I'm asking genuinely.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Why do you need root? I mean, you have all of those things whether you root or not.

I'm not picking on you (I remember working with you when you had the Nexus), but I'm asking genuinely.

Touchwiz, touchwiz... :smith: Also titanium backup, Adblock. My Galaxy S4 is been a GPE for months now and I have the best of both worlds so rooting is still a good thing.

My post was just a joke about the usual Nexus/Moto or you're inferior wich was a joke post aswell.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I use root for Greenify, better battery stats, ad block, screenstandby to turn off screen when connected to HDMI, Titanium, to be able to find out the wi fi password if I've forgotten or its been hidden from me, and to install a custom ROM (an optimised Touchwiz ROM). All these things are useful to me and required next to no effort.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

I'm not sure how serious this post was but this was pretty much the exact point I was making at the time. If you want a simple reliable consistent rooting method then you buy a Nexus phone (even some of the GPE devices have oddities) and accept any "sacrifices" that such a decision includes.

Which is a shame, because it would be trivial for other manufacturers/carriers to not make horribly locked down devices with deliberately included anti-root bullshit but there we go. Some are doing a better job than others on this side of things but even the "good" manufacturers still tend to have inconsistencies between devices, or allow you to unlock the bootloader via a nice easy official process and then you discover that rooting the thing is still an exercise in frustration.

I recently rooted a Sony Xperia T where recovery partition lives inside the kernel. What the gently caress Sony.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

I'm not sure how serious this post was but this was pretty much the exact point I was making at the time. If you want a simple reliable consistent rooting method then you buy a Nexus phone (even some of the GPE devices have oddities) and accept any "sacrifices" that such a decision includes.

Which is a shame, because it would be trivial for other manufacturers/carriers to not make horribly locked down devices with deliberately included anti-root bullshit but there we go. Some are doing a better job than others on this side of things but even the "good" manufacturers still tend to have inconsistencies between devices, or allow you to unlock the bootloader via a nice easy official process and then you discover that rooting the thing is still an exercise in frustration.

I recently rooted a Sony Xperia T where recovery partition lives inside the kernel. What the gently caress Sony.

Quoting myself:

Guillermus posted:

Touchwiz, touchwiz... :smith: Also titanium backup, Adblock. My Galaxy S4 is been a GPE for months now and I have the best of both worlds so rooting is still a good thing.

My post was just a joke about the usual Nexus/Moto or you're inferior wich was a joke post aswell.

Was a joke, I'm the first that recomments a Moto G/X to my friends but warn them about the lack of SDcard slot and camera being kinda lovely compared to lets say a good Xperia.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 13, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Was a joke, I'm the first that recomments a Moto G/X to my friends but warn them about the lack of SDcard slot and camera being kinda lovely compared to lets say a good Xperia.
Oops, I hadn't refreshed the thread for ages.

Anyway I think it's an interesting debate. Talking about root to a bunch of Android developers was interesting because a lot of them knew nothing about it and one of our clients is a bank who actively block rooted devices so it's pretty relevant to what we do.

We had some good discussion at the end about why people want root detection, how we should respond to requests from clients for us to do it, what it really achieves, and why lots of people who root are angry XDA dorks who poo poo up the Play Store page with angry reviews as soon as you block their devices and then the client wonders why their average rating is three stars.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 13, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

Anyway I think it's an interesting debate.

Right now all my android devices are rooted and running custom roms. Galaxy S with CM 10.2.1, Asus TF201 with CM 10.2 and Galaxy S4 GPE rom (4.4.2). If I had a nexus or motorola my only reason to root would be exposed/gb and maybe adblock. Custom roms aren't as hot now since stock android is great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

We had some good discussion at the end about why people want root detection, how we should respond to requests from clients for us to do it, what it really achieves, and why lots of people who root are angry XDA dorks who poo poo up the Play Store page with angry reviews as soon as you block their devices and then the client wonders why their average rating is three stars.
I'd really be interested in hearing whatever interesting points of discussion that are nonproprietary that you'd care to share. I can't imagine why a client would want to block rooted device and I'm curious what they're trying to accomplish and whether it could be accomplished. What does attempting to block rooted devices do in practical terms from a business perspective? I'm sure rooted users are the loudest voices but I'm curious as to whether that has any actual effect on anything.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't get why would any dev block rooted users. Piracy should't be the reason because non-rooted users can still install non market apks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Guillermus posted:

I don't get why would any dev block rooted users. Piracy should't be the reason because non-rooted users can still install non market apks.

Maybe it has something to do with ad blocking? There was recently some drama about a dev whose app would request root permission, then wipe the user's hosts file so it could display ads. Eventually Google banned his developer account.

e: https://pay.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/24e9qs/this_app_is_asking_for_root_permissions_to_clear/

The developer removed his comments after Google banned him but he got quoted a lot. Also he apparently replied to every review in Google Play with "please 5 stars".

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 15, 2014

revolther
May 27, 2008
With root it's fairly easy to go into where apps store their data and poke around changing read and write permissions on certain files to bypass trial limitations, stop ads, sometimes access premium features if the app doesn't phone home to verify things beyond what their local config files say.

There are also patching apps that require root to automate removal of adsense and market verification features, so blocking root users theoretically could be a hurdle stopping folks from purchasing, quickly ripping out license verification, then requesting a refund from the Play store.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My #1 reason for root is being able to control what apps can respond to the media button. It drives me loving nuts when I push play on my car's stereo and like 6 apps think I wanted them to start playing poo poo. Using Autostarts I have that locked down to only the Audible app. Another great feature of that Autostarts is that you can control which apps run at startup and other irritating times.

Other critical stuff I can't live without is Tibu, Adblock and SetCPU to run custom kernel profiles

In summary the thread title is wrong.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

Maybe it has something to do with ad blocking? There was recently some drama about a dev whose app would request root permission, then wipe the user's hosts file so it could display ads.

This is hilariously awesome, I don't care what anyone says.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

big mean giraffe posted:

This is hilariously awesome, I don't care what anyone says.

I think it's a problem because he's altering system files without the user's permission. I can completely understand not allowing users who have an ad blocker installed from using their app (I think some apps do this, they have a popup that says "sorry, you can't use this app because you have an ad blocker" or something), but messing with people's system files like that without permission is a dick move.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

I think it's a problem because he's altering system files without the user's permission. I can completely understand not allowing users who have an ad blocker installed from using their app (I think some apps do this, they have a popup that says "sorry, you can't use this app because you have an ad blocker" or something), but messing with people's system files like that without permission is a dick move.

Isn't granting root permissions to an app giving your permission for it to do exactly things like that? In any case, that's a good example of (1) why most people shouldn't root and (2) why Google's changes to SD card handling is the right idea (though here it was app modifying system, it could easily be app modifying app).

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Syrinxx posted:

My #1 reason for root is being able to control what apps can respond to the media button. It drives me loving nuts when I push play on my car's stereo and like 6 apps think I wanted them to start playing poo poo. Using Autostarts I have that locked down to only the Audible app. Another great feature of that Autostarts is that you can control which apps run at startup and other irritating times.

Other critical stuff I can't live without is Tibu, Adblock and SetCPU to run custom kernel profiles

In summary the thread title is wrong.

Thank you so much for this. Having the Vienna boys choir start yelling at me everytime I start my car has gotten really old (gently caress you LG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

... and SetCPU to run custom kernel profiles
Holy poo poo the 2010 flashbacks are killing me.