Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You guys are way overthinking this; gaming the parking pass would only result in office drama that just isn't worth it, and the co-worker who gets it will actually make use of it. Heck I think the plan was that we'd share it, month on month off or something, which... Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

You guys are way overthinking this; gaming the parking pass would only result in office drama that just isn't worth it, and the co-worker who gets it will actually make use of it. Heck I think the plan was that we'd share it, month on month off or something, which... Yeah.

Nah man, this is your path to Financial Independence. Take the space. Buy a yurt. Put the yurt on the parking spot, it can be on a trailer so that it's technically a vehicle and you can defend your decision. Rent the yurt out to hippies and poo poo for like $1200 a month.

You can do this with a greenhouse as well if you want to grow some BELL PEPPERS in there or something. I won't judge.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's an indoor spot, but I have a window in the office, maybe I can grow BASIL on the filing cabinet. Turn this job into a money making opportunity.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Indoor parking spot sounds perfect for mushrooms.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

It's an indoor spot, but I have a window in the office, maybe I can grow BASIL on the filing cabinet. Turn this job into a money making opportunity.

I unilaterally took over the unit conference room, which was sometimes used to host the Minister of National Defence in really important conferences, with BEAN PLANTS and CARROTS when the commandant was away one day. It was glorious, one wall was all south-facing windows.

Nobody noticed for three days and then, ironically, the unit environmental safety officer threw everything in the garbage without a word.

Folly
May 26, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Ya, that sounds right. Welp, I hope you have a library card. Because you have plenty of time to read and books get expensive. (I also vote yurt, if that's still an option.) You're about the perfect bike commute distance, except for that whole Canadian Winter thing.

I ate sardines for lunch in the form of fisherman's eggs. Not bad, and lots of protein for a roughly $2 meal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Folly posted:

Ya, that sounds right. Welp, I hope you have a library card. Because you have plenty of time to read and books get expensive. (I also vote yurt, if that's still an option.) You're about the perfect bike commute distance, except for that whole Canadian Winter thing.

I ate sardines for lunch in the form of fisherman's eggs. Not bad, and lots of protein for a roughly $2 meal.

When you eat a sardine are you just consuming the entire creature whole? Because I could get on board with this.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
The training was actually catered today :unsmith:

Folly
May 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

When you eat a sardine are you just consuming the entire creature whole? Because I could get on board with this.

I bought them as fillets. But it's about half the price if you buy them as whole sardines. :getin:

There's a whole drat sardine thread in GBS. But I only tabbed through a few pages.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

The training was actually catered today :unsmith:

Damned unions.

Is it possible to overdraft a prepaid card? Are there prepaid debit cards or only credit cards?

Too bad Aldi doesn't do gift cards (they're usually free right)? I like the "cash envelope" budgeting idea but I hate the idea of carrying cash around. I'd much rather just put my monthly grocery budget on a gift card that forces me to shop at the cheapest/best grocery store in town.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 15, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Damned unions.

Is it possible to overdraft a prepaid card? Are there prepaid debit cards or only credit cards?
I don't think you can overdraft a prepaid card, usually you're limited is whatever your balance is.

Aren't all debit cards "prepaid" in theory, since they're connected to your checking account and you're withdrawing your funds? There are prepaid credit cards if you don't have credit or bad credit, and need to build credit. Your limit is however much money you have on the card.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, once again I'm "scheming". I mean say a Walmart gift card is free and you do 99% of your grocery shopping there why not just use that as your budget instead of carrying around cash. I know you can't overdraft a gift card and there's no need to carry around cash.

I suppose it would suck to lose said gift card though unless there was some way you could give it a pin.

I also wish there were cards that basically just flat out denied you instead of allowing overdraft.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 15, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, once again I'm "scheming". I mean say a Walmart gift card is free and you do 99% of your grocery shopping there why not just use that as your budget instead of carrying around cash. I know you can't overdraft a gift card and there's no need to carry around cash.

I suppose it would suck to lose said gift card though.

The easiest is probably just to set up a new chequing account, connect it to your debit card's chequing button, make sure it will reject anything that goes over its balance by calling your bank, and transfer your budgeted funds there.

That pretty much creates exactly the card you're looking for, with all the protections that you're familiar with and none of the problems with gift cards.

Folly
May 26, 2010
I'd not do that for 2 main reasons.

First, cash spends everywhere but gift cards can only be spent one place. Until it's spent, your money is less valuable as a gift card.
Second, a gift card is a debt from the company to you. If the company goes bankrupt, it becomes worthless. (Admittedly, this is a stupidly weak reason.)

I like Kroger's gift card scheme where they give like 5% of whatever you load on to a gift card to a charity or community project. It's probably just enough of an extra benefit to balance out the limitations above. But I still don't do it because my wife and I both do the grocery shopping, depending on who has time that week. And we'd have to plan more if we only had 1 payment method that we had to physically hand back and forth.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
There's only been one time in my life where I regretted not carrying cash and that was at Medieval Times. Jesus there should be some way for me to tip my serving wench besides cash. Next time I travel I'm going to carry some cash with me. Medieval times pissed me off anyway (not the wenches fault) but because they served the same adult sized meal to children it all went to waste. That's the main reason I'm going back.

tuyop posted:

The easiest is probably just to set up a new chequing account, connect it to your debit card's chequing button, make sure it will reject anything that goes over its balance by calling your bank, and transfer your budgeted funds there.

That pretty much creates exactly the card you're looking for, with all the protections that you're familiar with and none of the problems with gift cards.

I'll check and see if my bank(s) allow this. I would much rather be rejected and embarrassed into taking some groceries back to the shelf than pay overdraft because I went over my grocery budget by a penny. Then I would be forced into finishing what I have in the fridge.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 15, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You could also just buy dozens of those prepaid credit cards in denominations of 25 and 50 or whatever, and sharpie "groceries" and "haircuts" onto them. They won't work if you need them for places like farmers markets that take only cash, though. But they aren't tied to any user if you just buy the ones at the store so they can't overdraft.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
There are no fees for those? Like startup fees?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

There are no fees for those? Like startup fees?

They're like any other gift card, you just grab a stack at the birthday card aisle and go through the checkout with them.

This kind of mitigates the risk of cash, because it's unlikely that you'll lose eight $25 gift cards on the way to the grocery store for your monthly stockup. It's also unlikely that you'll lose cash so I don't really know.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
^edit: Oh I thought those had startup fees and stuff. I'll look into that.

Yeah but cash in my wallet/at my house/in my wife's purse is just something I don't want on a regular basis. Not to mention cash comes with loose change. I hate loose change.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 15, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gently caress loose change, drat do I hate that poo poo.

The business model for gift card is that they ensure whatever money's on the card is going to get spent at that store. Plus they get the money in advance, which is pretty nice.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

The business model for gift card is that they ensure whatever money's on the card is going to get spent at that store. Plus they get the money in advance, which is pretty nice.

Not to mention some people get weird about spending gift cards with .50 cents to a couple bucks on them so they get that as well. Then there are the lovely giftcards "wow a $25 bucks at best buy! Thanks! :\" that people forget to spend all together.

FrozenVent posted:

My dad had this giant fake beer can (more like a 1 gallon mini-keg) he tossed all his loose change into every day after work. It was about 75% full when he walked into the house one afternoon and noticed it was gone. It could have been my brother or one of his workers who sometimes (rarely) has access to the house.

The only loose change I keep is my Aldi quarter.

quote:

9/10 it's great for them but an Aldi gift card would be the poo poo.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2014

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Cash equivalent gift cards marketed by Visa or Amex generally have fees (these are the disposable ones you can buy anywhere). There are other prepaid options such as Bluebird that are basically a self sustained debit and checking account.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Apparently bluebird won't work with Aldi. Oh well.

edit: my wife said she could easily do what I want with the bank, we would just have to create another checking account and transfer whatever we want our grocery budget to be.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 16, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is way easier just to track what you spend. You guys are going crazy. Next thing you know you will have 5 prepaid cards and six checking accounts.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

spwrozek posted:

It is way easier just to track what you spend. You guys are going crazy. Next thing you know you will have 5 prepaid cards and six checking accounts.

It's the BFC way.

You gonna eat all that?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It will just be one extra checking account and no prepaid cards. The only problem I consistently have with my budget is groceries (restaurants has gotten way better since I started this thread) and yeah I know I tend to go a little too far sometimes but it works for me. When it comes to grocery spending I'm Zaurg.

I figure with a debit card just for groceries I'll be more inclined to shop at Aldi and avoid more expensive grocery stores.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Do you have a toddler?

Have them crap their diaper big-time right when you start shopping. It really speeds up the process and you only have time to pick up the most important items.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My roommate spends $800 a month on groceries for just himself. Because he's obese.

So I hope that helps you feel better.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I kind of need to know what he could possibly be spending $800 on. Does the dude eat steak for every meal or something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

I kind of need to know what he could possibly be spending $800 on. Does the dude eat steak for every meal or something?

Pretty much exactly that, yes. But since he's so fat he doesn't just eat 8 ounces, or even 16, but usually 32 oz of steak in a sitting.

It's also the sheer quantity of processed garbage as well. That's all expensive stuff.

Oh AND he makes $11 an hour.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Pretty much exactly that, yes. But since he's so fat he doesn't just eat 8 ounces, or even 16, but usually 32 oz of steak in a sitting.

It's also the sheer quantity of processed garbage as well. That's all expensive stuff.

Oh AND he makes $11 an hour.
:stare:

That's over two thirds of his net pay. On food.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cripes, and here I feel guilty about spending $3/lb on ground beef sometimes.

Eating out for lunch today, kicking off my vacation by treating myself to some extravagance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

:stare:

That's over two thirds of his net pay. On food.

Yeah I worked it out for him the same way I did my car and debt to feel like I was a prisoner. Like, the first 70 hours you work are all consumed by food. You must work seventy hours in order to eat, it's not optional at this point!

It didn't seem to click like at all and he was just like, yeah I know that. But I get hunger pains. :psyduck:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I am also eating out today. I blame the wife tempting me with the promise of delicious buffalo chicken cheesesteak.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
So a season pass to Noah's Ark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah%27s_Ark_Water_Park) is only $40 right now. Daily admission is usually $32. I'm seriously considering getting a season pass. The park is about an hours drive away, but aside from the cost of fuel, I could be set for the whole summer as far as entertainment goes. I'm just worried I'll pull the trigger, but no one will ever feel like going. I'm going to try to convince some coworkers to buy a pass too.

Plus water parks kick rear end.

Folly
May 26, 2010
I'm totally eating out today. Maybe twice.

It's production go-live on my project. I'll be working until 9am tomorrow. Last time I brought my dinner and the cleaning crew threw it out because they clean the fridge out at 6pm on Friday.

So gently caress it, I've got other things to worry about.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My wife said she was going to a sandwich store on the way home last night because someone gave her two of their punch cards that entitled her to two free sandwiches. When I check Mint it turns out she spent $3.95 because she had to get the special sandwich. ugh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My wife said she was going to a sandwich store on the way home last night because someone gave her two of their punch cards that entitled her to two free sandwiches. When I check Mint it turns out she spent $3.95 because she had to get the special sandwich. ugh.

Sever!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone successfully got married and kept their finances completely separate?

Like, no joint-checking accounts and no snooping?