Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Collateral Damage posted:

You should build a groverhouse. You're almost there, you just need the "falling in" part.

Oh poo poo, that's my release project lined up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Anyone knows if the esper ever gets a non stationary builder skill? I just can't level mine up because after playing medic eng and war standing still feels so lame.

Feedback: I started using a better newer driver and now this game crashes every 20minutes(newest nvdia for gtx470). And the travel times are a freaking joke, especially the quest travel times. I have to go run 500m in some direction then finish my quest and then run 500meter back again all the freaking time. This is just such a retarded quest design it isnt funny.

PS. How do you join a BG? =)

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 15, 2014

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Potsticker posted:

So, what are the most space-ish zones to go to after you get to the main cities? Exile side I did some forest place that ended up at a cool eldar excavation, but it looks like my next choices are more forest or-- I think a space zombie graveyard? That looks promising maybe? Dominion side I haven't looked at what's next, but I just got out of a savanna type area. Not very sci-fi feeling after a while.

Farside is literally a moon of nexus with low-gravity and everything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FunkyFlashman posted:

Anyone knows if the esper ever gets a non stationary builder skill? I just can't level mine up because after playing medic eng and war standing still feels so lame.

We get one at 11, though it's really clumsy to use. It activates three floating swords then hits in sequence.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Having never played any MMO but Eve/STO with goons, what's the general consensus on allowing non goon significant others join the guild?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I can almost guarantee you will not like this game, please quite while you are ahead :)

Nothing this person said was wrong. The levels 1-10 (I'd say 1-15) are boring bog-standard bear-rear end collection. Dull as dishwater.

This can be ameliorated by joining BGs as soon as they are available (which I plan to do come launch) and hitting 15 as fast as possible, and then just doing adventures until you can do dungeons, rinse repeat to 50.

So my advice to Goldjas would be: don't judge it yet until you've done an adventure or a dungeon. I was pretty down on this game until those, and now I'm pretty excited to play. Hopefully the devs will try and do something about the kinda dull intro to the game.

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 15, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kaedric posted:

Nothing this person said was wrong. The levels 1-10 (I'd say 1-15) are boring bog-standard bear-rear end collection. Dull as dishwater.

This can be ameliorated by joining BGs as soon as they are available (which I plan to do come launch) and hitting 15 as fast as possible, and the just doing adventures until you can do dungeons, rinse repeat to 50.

So my advice to Goldjas would be: don't judge it yet until you've done an adventure or a dungeon. I was pretty down on this game until those, and now I'm pretty excited to play. Hopefully the devs will try and do something about the kinda dull intro to the game.

See grinding the same adventure/bg/dungeons over and over again sounds like a far worse leveling experience than collecting random bear asses. At least I get a change of scenery with the bears, and floating around in the random bear rear end quests are some rather amusing/funny/hilarious quests.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Bog-standard I guess I can agree with as it doesn't stray that much from conventional questing (well, some of the paths do), but I don't know if I found it all that dull, especially when I slowed down a bit and allowed myself to take in the details and flavor stuff I started having a lot more fun -- but again, different tastes.

I think that if one just wants to get to cap as fast as humanly possible, there's not much any questing system can do to make it properly enjoyable -- faster, certainly, but not really fun.

Good thing that, as you say, you can spam BGs, adventures, dungeons etc. if you don't care about questing all that much. Personally, I agree with Rhymenoserous on the subject. :)

Edit: I can't language.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I enjoy the leveling experience. Once. Maybe twice. After that it becomes a slog.

One of the best things WoW ever did was introduce that armor that max level players could buy and hand to leveling alts that when all stacked up gave something like a 50% XP bonus. Oh and not normalizing dungeon player levels.

We'd use dungeons to speed level players. Basically run a level 70 tank through the instance gathering up every boss/npc in the thing and murder them decently close to the leveling player and he'd get a level every run/every other run. Runs took about 3 minutes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Inepta Lacerta posted:

If you press the "ghost" button up in the right corner of the map (looked like a pacman ghost in the old ui, haven't really looked at this after ui 2.0 so I hope it's not gone), it'll turn into a transparent overlay instead. It's not quite what you're asking for, but it's at least something.

Yea unfortunately I've done that but it isn't quite what I want. It just seems weird to have the maps so off centre and not let me move them!

So - AMPs feel like something that's straight out of the old days of gaming. I didn't know Volatility Rising was such a big deal and when I did the Deradune quest that gives it, I didn't pick it. So now I have to find it on the auction house.
Anything like that is always a proper pain in the arse, they should just let you buy the things. Or not have to unlock them at all.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Rhymenoserous posted:

I enjoy the leveling experience. Once. Maybe twice. After that it becomes a slog.

One of the best things WoW ever did was introduce that armor that max level players could buy and hand to leveling alts that when all stacked up gave something like a 50% XP bonus. Oh and not normalizing dungeon player levels.

We'd use dungeons to speed level players. Basically run a level 70 tank through the instance gathering up every boss/npc in the thing and murder them decently close to the leveling player and he'd get a level every run/every other run. Runs took about 3 minutes.

Marvel Heroes does a good job offering a lot of double XP boosts/weekends and randomized questing, as well as permanent XP bonuses from having max level characters. Makes leveling a lot more fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Taear posted:

What were you clicking that made such a difference to you? All it does is remind you of the clues.

Clicking the clues sends you to the general area and the heat bar that fills up as you get closer. Originally I was just trying to remember the clues and scamper around the area looking for a mound of dirt.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Clicking the clues sends you to the general area and the heat bar that fills up as you get closer. Originally I was just trying to remember the clues and scamper around the area looking for a mound of dirt.

The areas are marked on the map though! Unfortunately some of them have quite big areas and the bar can take a while before it ever moves.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'm representative for the larger gaming community with my tastes. I've leveled so very many alts in wow without even touching dungeons and still gone pretty quickly and had a good time, but most people I've spoken to (anecdotal, I know) seem to find it pretty dull. I tend to get into the mindset of it being a challenge to myself how fast I can level if I go for alts, and that way it turns into some kind of exercise in optimizing quest routes etc. Which I know is borderline :spergin:, so I at least try to understand those who don't enjoy it. :)

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah, the heirloom armor was a pretty good idea plus it sped up both regular questing and dungeon-spam leveling, depending on how social one felt at any given time. For a solo-leveling tank or healer, dungeons were the way to go in heirlooms for speedy leveling, but for dps... well, not so much with those queues.

From the sounds of it Carbine agree, though - they said in one of the livestreams recently (might've been one of the dev unleashed ones, but might also have been an earlier one) that they're more concerned with adding stuff at level cap than leveling content. Though I wouldn't mind seeing maybe another dungeon or adventure or shiphand mission along the way, I think it's a wise decision - though a surprising amount of people never make it to max-level in mmo:s (I can't remember what the numbers were for WoW, but they were high on a level that surprised me), the large majority of people who'll stick with the game will get to cap and want stuff to do there.

I'm all for having more ways than just questing to get to max-level, I just don't agree with it being any more or less interesting than in most other games here when it comes right down to it. But then again, I'm also the kind of person who don't mind reading quest text and stuff like that at all, so I acknowledge I might just be... special special.

Taear posted:

Yea unfortunately I've done that but it isn't quite what I want. It just seems weird to have the maps so off centre and not let me move them!

So - AMPs feel like something that's straight out of the old days of gaming. I didn't know Volatility Rising was such a big deal and when I did the Deradune quest that gives it, I didn't pick it. So now I have to find it on the auction house.
Anything like that is always a proper pain in the arse, they should just let you buy the things. Or not have to unlock them at all.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a "large map" replacement mod out for the game within weeks of release, honestly. Though I don't particularly mind the current map, it taking up the entire screen does break the "flow" of the game somewhat at times when it's brought up.

And I completely agree about AMPs. How they work at least needs to be made a lot more clear, or a lot of people are going to pick the wrong ones and get upset/annoyed when they realize they'll now have to grind for or buy the proper one(s).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Inepta Lacerta posted:

And I completely agree about AMPs. How they work at least needs to be made a lot more clear, or a lot of people are going to pick the wrong ones and get upset/annoyed when they realize they'll now have to grind for or buy the proper one(s).

Which is just what happened to me right this moment. Really frustrating.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Having never played any MMO but Eve/STO with goons, what's the general consensus on allowing non goon significant others join the guild?

Outside Eve most goon guilds don't care if you invite friends/etc unless there's a really low player cap. Hell, half of the goon guilds I've been in just give invite power to everyone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Wait you have to actually get AMPs as drops? I thought you just used points to fill out the grid-thinger in the AMP screen? :psyduck:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Wait you have to actually get AMPs as drops? I thought you just used points to fill out the grid-thinger in the AMP screen? :psyduck:

Only for the first Tier of amps. Tier 2 ones at least require amp drops/purches to unlock, and I assume this is true for T3 too.

Which, yes, is dumb.

Edit: No idea how hard AMP drops are to come by if you don't pick them as quest rewards. Hopefully it's not too bad, or I imagine Carbine will have to tweak this functionality in the near future.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, for some reason they decided talent points as drops was a good idea. Unfortunately I don't expect people to be more understanding about not having the perfect flavor of the month spec to compensate.

I'm actually considering doing the BG->adventure grind to level up faster and then go back to do quests because I like them. That way I can get more money to blow on auction speculation earlier. Maybe.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 15, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Yep, so did I. Why would it not be that way, honestly.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The amps that drop have special effects/changes to the skillset that blah blah blah yeah it's pretty bullshit.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

The amps that drop have special effects/changes to the skillset that blah blah blah yeah it's pretty bullshit.

Yep, yep, yep.

The primary way to get Amp drops is the salvaging chest from challenges. Also, some Amp drops seem to be tied to levels/zones; like SpellSlingers Trigger Fingers, apparently, only dropping in Malgrave or Wilderrun.

Side note, I've explored most of Wilderrun/Malgrave/Grimvault. Malgrave is badass and I'm looking forward to questing it. Wilderrun is basically a huge complex forest with the Kel Voreth fortress. And Grimvault looks like a hair-ripping out slog.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It wouldn't be terrible if they were locked behind a quest. But drops is dumb.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much has changed since closed beta? I got through a bit of the start and just couldn't be asked to log in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rhymenoserous posted:

It wouldn't be terrible if they were locked behind a quest. But drops is dumb.

If they were ONLY from a quest that you couldn't redo if you chose a different reward or otherwise lost the AMP that would be a pretty big dealbreaker.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
I think what he meant was that after completing a quest the amp would automatically be unlocked sans an actual amp item reward.

Has anyone had an item that gave an imbuement quest? http://www.jabbithole.com/quests?f=c:62

I killed that buggy elemental at the top of the cliff in Galeras and got one, but I haven't seen any others.

Mount Desert fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 15, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mount Desert posted:

I think what he meant was that after completing a quest the amp would automatically be unlocked sans an actual amp item reward.

Has anyone had an item that gave an imbuement quest? http://www.jabbithole.com/quests?f=c:62

I killed that buggy elemental at the top of the cliff in Galeras and got one, but I haven't seen any others.

I've just picked one up. It's the same armour as some shoulders that I picked up in the "Riot In The Void" adventure....and it requires me to go there to do the quest. You'd think the armour that dropped in Riot would be the one that wanted me to continue the adventure, but nope.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone that is a heavy armor smith? I need tank gear for my warrior, but getting drops is ridiculously hard and AH prices are insane.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Vouching will be allowed; I'm not sure if Wildstar even has a guild cap but at the numbers I've seen I don't think we'll hit it.

obvious "if they're a tremendous dickhead things will happen"

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator

FunkyFlashman posted:

I've rolled an Esper on 4 separate occasions, only to delete it before hitting the 8-10 range because of the stand still crap.

At 11, you get the build mentioned in another reply, and at least in PVP, it felt like I turned on god mode. I switched to that and telekinetic storm as my finisher, added ingeist and concentrated blades, and just rolled people. I used variations of the heals as well. It basically turns the "mage/wizard" Esper into a melee Esper.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Taear posted:

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. I thought it was less an issue when you could respec AMPs for free at the vendor in certain towns/from a settler. Now, since you have to pay gold to respec, it's essentially forcing you to spend gold as you level and unlock AMPs and it's not an insignificant amount of gold.

Most of the AMPs you can get at certain vendors which requires reputation and costs gold, or requires PvP currency - there's one in the last big town (on Exile) in Celestion and Algoroc, as well as the capital city, the last big outpost in Galeras, the main city in Whitevale, the first outpost in the last area of Farside, and the first outpost in the next zone. (I forget the name).

There seem to be two in the first big city after the first zone (tutorial -> first zone -> second zone -> capital) on the Dominion side and another in the capital; I've only played Mechari there, though, so I don't know if/what the other second zone city might be.

The other big way to unlock AMPs is less reliable than simply buying them - you get them occasionally from hunting or from Scavenged Supplies rewards from challenges. These often aren't for your class, and may even be duplicates of ones you have. My advice is to always pick Scavenged Supplies as the reward, because any gear you may get will be outgrown pretty quickly and has negligible effect.

Also, I can't say I've ever used Volatility Rising getting to 32 on my Engineer... I didn't ever feel I had trouble building Volatility, but after 15 my build was a bit different than most.

e: One other note - the ability-unlock amps in the third level of Assault/Support/Utility do not require an AMP unlock, nor (as previously mentioned) do the first level of AMPs.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 15, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
edit: ^^ It will actually be unlikely you have to respec until you are Level 50, and if for some reason you are so strapped for money, you actually obtain a total of four LAS sets, which means 4 separate AMP builds. If you gently caress up all four of those builds, then I don't know, maybe there's something wrong with your planning. Just use two while you're leveling, and keep the other two for Level 50: one for PvP, one for PvE.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I doubt most of us care so long as a) you don't have like 30 significant others and b) they're not dicks. The more people we have, the more likely we can start doing raids, AND MY MEDIC NEEDS THE RAID GEAR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL KILL ALL OF YOU IF YOU DON'T COMMIT ok thank you :kimchi:

WarLocke posted:

Yes, AMPs are drops, but they're quite common; the highest I've seen most of them sell for in the AH is around 20 gold, which in the grand scheme of things is a rather piddly amount, plus you can get them as normal drops from enemies, and every three or so Satchel of Scavenged Supplies (reward for almost all Challenges) gives some AMPs. There might be a little bit of farming involved, if you so happen to get the short end of the stick on something, which does kind of suck, but it's not outright impossible.

I think what we, as a guild, need to do is compile a list of necessary AMPs for all classes to be used as reference so people like me don't just throw them on the AH for 1 gold because we get so many of them. That way it will be a lot easier to trade for what we need.

Unfunny Poster posted:

How much has changed since closed beta? I got through a bit of the start and just couldn't be asked to log in.

For the most part, just a nice coat of paint and a hell of a lot of bug fixes. SS Spell Surge got changed pretty dramatically but there's not much other than that.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 15, 2014

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Evil_Greven posted:

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. I thought it was less an issue when you could respec AMPs for free at the vendor in certain towns/from a settler. Now, since you have to pay gold to respec, it's essentially forcing you to spend gold as you level and unlock AMPs and it's not an insignificant amount of gold.

I spent for 3 different AMP respecs before I realized that there's a reason it says "USE SET". Everyone has two full specs they can use and a respec resets both of them. So if you don't like an AMP layout, switch to the other one which is blank and use that one.

Your first respec will give you 2 more empty slates.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Do we have a beta EU guild?
If yes, could I get a guild invite on EU server?
My in game character name is Weedles (Dominion side)
let me know if EU goons are on Exile and I'll just make a exile character (wanted to see their starting zones anyway)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cleared all the Algoroc content so now I'm just going to do some PVP and play houses for the final day or so. Game definitely made a positive impression.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea It's not looking good at all the EU guild has a measley 3 members in it including myself :ughh:

I'll probably play with mates come release maybe a circle with goon members is a better option than an actual EU goon guild.

If your EU and you want to do 20/40 people raids and warplots with goons I think US is looking the way to go.

In other news anyone have pictures of the interior of the Spaceship preorder housing plot?

Don't give up on the EU guild just yet. As far as I know, it was only created yesterday and people like myself haven't even had a chance to log in yet, not even mentioning the people that will not bother with beta. The only reason I log into beta anymore is just for the boom boxes (though I inevitably get sucked into a couple hours play) because I don't want to burn out before launch.

Guilds are hard work. You need to promote them and be upbeat about them and make people want to play with you. Throwing in the towel before we even get started is defeatist. If you build it, they will come. Though this game is sorely lacking the websites and PR videos and propaganda that many other MMO good launch guilds have enjoyed.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Official apology from Carbine re: the name registration problems. (And five bonus boom boxes as a further way of apology)

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46736-an-apology-from-the-devs/

Also a short video on what boom boxes are.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I have months of boom boxes now. Maybe if they keep loving up I'll have enough for the rest of the year.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Official apology from Carbine re: the name registration problems. (And five bonus boom boxes as a further way of apology)

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46736-an-apology-from-the-devs/

Also a short video on what boom boxes are.

Carbine, please stop, I don't think I'll be able to open all these boxes you've given me until 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So boom boxes are like those packs in Star Wars the Old Republic that give you items and one or two items are a rare chance at something really nice?

• Locked thread