Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of The Movies, a more graphics-heavy part-machinima game that came out around 2005. You actually script out short films scene-by-scene and unlock new technology, sets, costumes, etc. as the decades roll on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Five Cent Deposit posted:

1) I loving loved Sim Cinema and would kill to some day play it again, or play a spiritual successor.

Have you played Hollywood Movie Studio (previously known as Hollywood Mogul)? It's the spreadsheet-iest game ever but is tons of fun and seems like the type of game you might be into. Only available on Windows afaik.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SimCinema sounds like something that would result like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJKeESLBpQ

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sirocco posted:

Yeah, this game is deliberately based on SimCinema Deluxe (I've even credited it as inspiration in the 'About' section). I played it a lot when I was wee and can't now because I don't have a Mac. So I thought I'd make my own version! I've fleshed out the game mechanics a lot, enough to make it more of a tribute than a rip-off I hope.

Some of the differences: your company has departments you can upgrade, there are actual generated reviews of the film, sometimes comparing it to old films (one of the reviewers told me they wished I'd cast Rupert Grint as the lead in my Action movie), and giving it a rating as well as a gross, lovely/unsuccessful movies hurt your company's reputation and that of the cast and crew. Actors will not want to work with you if your reputation's far below theirs or because of other things. You can also check out your company's statistics to see your average gross/rating, highs and lows, favoured genres, actors, etc.

Anyway, I'll stop cluttering up this thread with my game nonsense, since it's really not the place and I don't want to bother people. If anyone has any queries you can PM me.

Do actors have persistant stats? Like could and actor be popular early on and then have a public scandal and continue to be in the game with severely reduced popularity? Or could mediocre actors become genre favorites?

edit: I don't suppose this project is on github, where I could follow it more directly?

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 15, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm a fan of The Movies, a more graphics-heavy part-machinima game that came out around 2005. You actually script out short films scene-by-scene and unlock new technology, sets, costumes, etc. as the decades roll on.

I have a love/hate relationship with that movie. Making movies is fun, but the game is about making successful movies can be mildly-to-significantly annoying.

My question: there's a lot of movies where the power goes out, and we get a huge vista of the city's lights going out. I highly doubt that the producers ask major cities to turn off all their lights, but how do they do it?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is a TV question, but there is no relevant thread and I'm sure someone can answer it.

Does the term "Laugh Track" just refer to a channel of audio that contains laughter or is it the explicit use of canned laughter? If its the latter, what is the term for the former (for the purposes of shows filmed in front of a live audience where the laughter is captured).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MisterBibs posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with that movie. Making movies is fun, but the game is about making successful movies can be mildly-to-significantly annoying.

My question: there's a lot of movies where the power goes out, and we get a huge vista of the city's lights going out. I highly doubt that the producers ask major cities to turn off all their lights, but how do they do it?

Presumably painting over the film in older movies and CGI in new ones. Not sure how else they would do it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

MisterBibs posted:

Or they build a miniature of the skyline and rig it with little bulbs in the windows that they turn off. Just like the cityscapes in Blade Runner etc.

Im sure now its all CGI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

xcore posted:

This is a TV question, but there is no relevant thread and I'm sure someone can answer it.

Does the term "Laugh Track" just refer to a channel of audio that contains laughter or is it the explicit use of canned laughter? If its the latter, what is the term for the former (for the purposes of shows filmed in front of a live audience where the laughter is captured).

I'm pretty sure that laugh tracks are actual recordings--canned laughter. It's also often called sweetening. I don't know if there's a special name for what happens in front of a live audience, except that it's usually on the same audio track as everything else for tv shows. It would include everything else the audience does too, like gasping in surprise or cooing at babies or applauding or whatever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm pretty sure that laugh tracks are actual recordings--canned laughter. It's also often called sweetening. I don't know if there's a special name for what happens in front of a live audience, except that it's usually on the same audio track as everything else for tv shows. It would include everything else the audience does too, like gasping in surprise or cooing at babies or applauding or whatever.

Near the end of it's run, CBS would tape All in the Family in front of two audiences and use the best responses from each.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shows taped in front of a live studio audience own, because there's a certain energy to them that you just can't replicate in a single-camera (read: shot like a film) show. Something like All in the Family, Cheers, Frasier, or (my personal favorite) Newsradio just wouldn't work as well shot in that style, because the performers know how to use the stage and thrive off of the audience and their energy.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Snak posted:

Do actors have persistant stats? Like could and actor be popular early on and then have a public scandal and continue to be in the game with severely reduced popularity? Or could mediocre actors become genre favorites?

edit: I don't suppose this project is on github, where I could follow it more directly?

Actors only have the one stat which is their price which doubles up as a reference for their reputation. The only thing that affects it is appearing in player-created movies. I don't have the project logged anywhere but it's nearly finished (pretty much just GUI tweaks, documentation and music to go), so I'll post a link in the thread or something when it's finished and I've learned how to turn it into an exe file.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Shows taped in front of a live studio audience own, because there's a certain energy to them that you just can't replicate in a single-camera (read: shot like a film) show. Something like All in the Family, Cheers, Frasier, or (my personal favorite) Newsradio just wouldn't work as well shot in that style, because the performers know how to use the stage and thrive off of the audience and their energy.

Writing wise it's a very different job when you have to leave space for the laughs. Early Sportsnight used a canned laugh track which was unintentionally funny because Sorkin didn't leave any gaps, so the sound editor of whoever had to just through laughs in wherever they would fit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Writing wise it's a very different job when you have to leave space for the laughs. Early Sportsnight used a canned laugh track which was unintentionally funny because Sorkin didn't leave any gaps, so the sound editor of whoever had to just through laughs in wherever they would fit.

It's more on the actors/directors than the writers, though they do have to account for timing of the laughs. Aaron Sorkin stuff works better when he's able to cram as much dialogue as possible into a half-hour/hour, so it makes sense that SportsNight eventually dropped the laughs.

redb2112
May 13, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just saw Chinatown for the first time.

Is The Two Jakes worth seeing, or was it just Nicholson needing money to buy another mansion?

Harvey Keitel is great in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's more on the actors/directors than the writers, though they do have to account for timing of the laughs. Aaron Sorkin stuff works better when he's able to cram as much dialogue as possible into a half-hour/hour, so it makes sense that SportsNight eventually dropped the laughs.

It completely affects the pacing of the writing, Sorkin's stuff, even the funniest bits of it, wouldn't work at all if the actors were pausing for laughs in the middle of a paragraph. (If you get the chance, watch the pilot for Sportsnight, you can almost hear the sound guy saying to himself, "finally, he's taking a breath, slam a laugh in there")

A lot of the best stuff with a laugh track (canned or live) does succeed largely on the merits of the performers though, but it's a different type of writing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It really is frustrating that no DVD release of Sports Night has an option to turn the laugh track off. (I think they did this with MASH or something similar.) It really is distracting because it's so intermittent and poorly timed.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've been looking this for years, and explaining what the Wilhelm Scream is reminded me of it.

We all know what the Wilhelm Scream is, and the Youraagh. But there is a particular sound effect that I have heard a handful of places, but the only place I can really remember it is from a video game. I distinctly remember it in Twisted Metal 2, when you fall off a building, maybe when you die other ways, but definitely from falling off a building.

Is there a name for it and/or a compilation for it?

e: heh, apparently I've asked about that scream here before.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 18, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It really is frustrating that no DVD release of Sports Night has an option to turn the laugh track off. (I think they did this with MASH or something similar.) It really is distracting because it's so intermittent and poorly timed.

there always existed 2 version of MASH with / without the canned laughter because back in the original run they sent the good version to lots of stations overseas.
so they didn't have to do any work for the DVD to have before.
i don't think that any version of sports night without the laugh track actually exists already.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sirocco posted:

Thank you, those were all great!

There was also Christian Bale's freakout during Terminator 4 shooting. Way back in the day there were movies that killed hundreds of horses/etc during filming, dunno if they affected box office.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

there always existed 2 version of MASH with / without the canned laughter because back in the original run they sent the good version to lots of stations overseas.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder how the show would work without the canned laughter. I distinctly remember watching episodes with no laugh track, but I thought it was a creative choice for the particular episode (like a "super serious special event" episode) and it dramatically altered the tone of the show.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

xcore posted:

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder how the show would work without the canned laughter. I distinctly remember watching episodes with no laugh track, but I thought it was a creative choice for the particular episode (like a "super serious special event" episode) and it dramatically altered the tone of the show.

I think they left out the laugh track for the episode with a timer running in the corner. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it for the more serious / preachy episodes (inevitibly the ones directed by Alan Alda)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Five Cent Deposit posted:

There was a great old shareware game for Mac called Sim Cinema. You game looks extremely similar. I'm telling you this for two reasons:
1) I loving loved Sim Cinema and would kill to some day play it again, or play a spiritual successor.
2) You should probably try to find a copy of the game and check it out, if that's at all possible. You might be *too* similar.

Dammit, I've been planning a Sim Cinema ripoff for years. Maybe now I won't have to!

xcore posted:

IIRC in the last, I believe, two seasons they cut the laugh track entirely as the creator had been fighting the entire time not to have a laugh track.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 19, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

IIRC in the last, I believe, two seasons they cut the laugh track entirely as the creator had been fighting the entire time not to have a laugh track.

To bring it back to movies then, Did the MASH movie have a laugh track?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

xcore posted:

To bring it back to movies then, Did the MASH movie have a laugh track?

No

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

regulargonzalez posted:

I think they left out the laugh track for the episode with a timer running in the corner. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it for the more serious / preachy episodes (inevitibly the ones directed by Alan Alda)

The first season had a laugh track for the entire episode, and that included scenes in the OR. Starting in the second they realized having a laugh track in the OR was hosed up, so they got rid of it. They also did not have the laugh track for certain episodes (ones breaking the traditional sitcom format)

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010
Have any movies ever had a laugh track?

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

Purple Gromit posted:

Have any movies ever had a laugh track?

Inland Empire.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carrie?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Natural Born Killers.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Is there a specific term for out-of-focus lights like this?

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 22, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bokeh.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^ Oh, that's really cool actually.

Criminal Minded posted:

Is there a specific term for out-of-focus lights like this?

Heptagon...ian?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes. My boyfriend and I had a discussion about Sucker Punch the other day. He contended that the movie was sexist garbage, while I argued that the "sexism" was on purpose to make a point about the unhealthy portrayal of women in media in general. I was kinda curious what you guys thought of the movie, both in general and in regards to the whole sexism thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McCloud posted:

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes. My boyfriend and I had a discussion about Sucker Punch the other day. He contended that the movie was sexist garbage, while I argued that the "sexism" was on purpose to make a point about the unhealthy portrayal of women in media in general. I was kinda curious what you guys thought of the movie, both in general and in regards to the whole sexism thing.

Archives is down but the Sucker Punch thread delved heavily into this. The basic gist is that the "sexy commando girl" stuff is a mental block by the main character to avoid the fact that she's being sexually abused in a mental ward.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is it ever explained in Fargo why Jerry (William H. Macy) needed the money in the first place or how he got into whatever debt he was in?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it ever explained in Fargo why Jerry (William H. Macy) needed the money in the first place or how he got into whatever debt he was in?

I don't believe so

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SkunkDuster posted:

Nope, at least I'm pretty sure not, I think it's just one of those 'the why doesn't matter it's what he does in the present that does' things.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nope, at least I'm pretty sure not, I think it's just one of those 'the why doesn't matter it's what he does in the present that does' things.

Correct. And it's even addressed in one exchange of dialog:

IMDb posted:

Jerry Lundegaard: I'm in a bit of trouble...

Carl Showalter: What kind of trouble are you in, Jerry?

Jerry Lundegaard: Well, that's, that's... I'm not gonna go into, inta... see, I just need money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostwarMutant
Oct 30, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I was always under the impression that he wanted the money to get out from underneath his father-in-law's thumb.