Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

I moved for the first time into a completely empty home and need to buy cleaning supplies but I wanted to see if you guys had any favorites. Is there anything you recommend highly over other cleaning solutions? Bathroom/floors/etc

I just use Fantastic for everything that you would spray and wipe that isn't a food surface. Like, cupboards and walls. I use Mr. Clean for floors and toilets. Vinegar and elbow grease for food surfaces. If things are really scummy or dangerous-looking, I've bleached them as well. Oh, and Windex for glass. gently caress streaks.

And Magic Erasers are pretty great for weird wall marks and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I just use Fantastic for everything that you would spray and wipe that isn't a food surface. Like, cupboards and walls. I use Mr. Clean for floors and toilets. Vinegar and elbow grease for food surfaces. If things are really scummy or dangerous-looking, I've bleached them as well. Oh, and Windex for glass. gently caress streaks.

And Magic Erasers are pretty great for weird wall marks and stuff.

I'll second magic erasers. And the $100 Hoover Windtunnel vacuum is probably the best sub-$300 vacuum you can buy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My first google attempt took me to this. Is this it? http://hawylandstyles.com/products-page/mini-metal-art/3rd-eye-vision-metal-art-high-definition-2/

edit: this guys seems to be exhibiting there and doing the same kind of dye sublimation printing on metal http://scottycarterfineart.blogspot.com/p/hydrodynamic-waves.html

It was a lot like this guy's stuff: http://www.yessy.com/chromametalart/gallery.html, but I can't find the four-seasons-themed piece in this guy's gallery, which is the one that really sticks out in my mind from the Wyland gallery.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

I moved for the first time into a completely empty home and need to buy cleaning supplies but I wanted to see if you guys had any favorites. Is there anything you recommend highly over other cleaning solutions? Bathroom/floors/etc

You should also just buy the cheapest mop and bucket and broom and dustpan combos that you can find. None of that Swiffer bullshit or fancy rear end straining mops. Get a rag mop, reach in there, and wring it out with your hands like your grandmother (or -father I guess) and her grandmother before her.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

tuyop posted:

You should also just buy the cheapest mop and bucket and broom and dustpan combos that you can find. None of that Swiffer bullshit or fancy rear end straining mops. Get a rag mop, reach in there, and wring it out with your hands like your grandmother (or -father I guess) and her grandmother before her.

Took me living on my own for about five years to finally get this. I would buy a fancy-assed self-wringing sponge mop, use it for a few months, and then be utterly unable to find replacement heads. I'd buy a slightly different fancy-assed self-wringing sponge mop, use it for a few months, and then be unable to find replacement heads. I'd give up on mopping for a few months. I'd buy another fancy-assed self-wringing sponge mop...

I bought a rag mop. It doesn't take replacement heads, because it's not designed to fall apart after five or six uses. I win, swiffer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

Took me living on my own for about five years to finally get this. I would buy a fancy-assed self-wringing sponge mop, use it for a few months, and then be utterly unable to find replacement heads. I'd buy a slightly different fancy-assed self-wringing sponge mop, use it for a few months, and then be unable to find replacement heads. I'd give up on mopping for a few months. I'd buy another fancy-assed self-wringing sponge mop...

I bought a rag mop. It doesn't take replacement heads, because it's not designed to fall apart after five or six uses. I win, swiffer.

Yup, and you can in fact buy replacement heads for a rag mop at basically any grocery, hardware store, or walmart that I've seen. Just in case the thing wears out somehow after being used by your family for 35 years.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Some good deals on TVs here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634285

Trying to decide between a 40" or 48" LCD flatscreen. What do you guys think? It'll be for a medium/large room now and possibly small living room in the future. I know 55" is pretty gently caress-off huge but I'm having a hard time gauging the 48" size without seeing it in person. Since it's so thin and doesn't have a huge border a 48" probably wouldn't be TOO bad.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Christoff posted:

Trying to decide between a 40" or 48" LCD flatscreen...

There is a thread about picking the correct TV for you. Ask your question there and you will get a better response.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
If a movie has a part 1 then it has a part 2 if they are thinking about having a part 3 is that called a sequel?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

KoB posted:

I really like Formula 409

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

If a movie has a part 1 then it has a part 2 if they are thinking about having a part 3 is that called a sequel?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but part two would be the sequel to part one. Part three would be the sequel to part two, and by extension part one. Are you wondering about the nebulous state of maybe it's going to be made and maybe it won't?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

b0nes posted:

I really like Formula 409

"You can clean your Kitchen, baby
make it look good any time
You can use a little Mr. Clean
Or Formula 409"

Real question: Chrome has started popping out images for links when I hover over them. So far I've noticed it's with images and with youtube videos and it's really goddamned annoying. I haven't added any extensions or anything recently so I assume it's some sort of moronic update in chrome. How do I turn it off?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

stubblyhead posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but part two would be the sequel to part one. Part three would be the sequel to part two, and by extension part one. Are you wondering about the nebulous state of maybe it's going to be made and maybe it won't?

I saw an article about Kick rear end 3 and they were saying "Is a sequel happening for Kick rear end 2?" I never heard sequel mentioned when people talk about 3 movies, they usually call it a trilogy. I was just wondering about the word sequel. I thought it always pertained to the second movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What kind of 4 year degree would someone get who was looking to get into HR? Internships? What's the career path?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I live in Brussels and private doctors here have an odd desire for cash payments only. They won't accept bank transfers. Once, a surgeon asked me to bring €400 in cash to the hospital on the day I was supposed to check in. I instead cancelled the surgery. Why do they do this?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

Real question: Chrome has started popping out images for links when I hover over them. So far I've noticed it's with images and with youtube videos and it's really goddamned annoying. I haven't added any extensions or anything recently so I assume it's some sort of moronic update in chrome. How do I turn it off?

Are you certain you haven't inadvertently installed hoverzoom because you're describing it exactly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

b0nes posted:

I saw an article about Kick rear end 3 and they were saying "Is a sequel happening for Kick rear end 2?" I never heard sequel mentioned when people talk about 3 movies, they usually call it a trilogy. I was just wondering about the word sequel. I thought it always pertained to the second movie.

Sequel just means something that comes after an existing work. So for, say, Harry Potter, each movie after the first is a sequel to the preceding one. "Trilogy" refers to all three of the works as one unit - it's a thing made up of three parts (unless it's the Hitchhiker's trilogy).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Are you certain you haven't inadvertently installed hoverzoom because you're describing it exactly.

Well, I feel dumb now. Must've been snuck in with some other thing I installed. Haven't fallen for one of those for years.

Thanks a lot!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Baron Bifford posted:

I live in Brussels and private doctors here have an odd desire for cash payments only. They won't accept bank transfers. Once, a surgeon asked me to bring €400 in cash to the hospital on the day I was supposed to check in. I instead cancelled the surgery. Why do they do this?
So they can declare only part of it on their income tax.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

What kind of 4 year degree would someone get who was looking to get into HR? Internships? What's the career path?

Just check out the job listings for hr stuff.

This one mentions a degree (any will do?) and a bunch of nebulous qualities and experiences.

A good degree would probably be one that gives you opportunities to do projects that reflect the skills businesses are looking for. Like probably a business degree with a specialization in HR.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

mentions a degree (any will do?) and a bunch of nebulous qualities and experiences.

I think the most important ones really are sadism and a desire to make stupid rules that other people have to follow. cheerfullydrab, why on earth do you want to go into this field?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

I think the most important ones really are sadism and a desire to make stupid rules that other people have to follow. cheerfullydrab, why on earth do you want to go into this field?

Well then I think you want a degree in Economics!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well then I think you want a degree in Economics!

I got my degree in Economics.

Quick Question - I live in a busy part of downtown Dallas and sometimes the noises outside my window wake me up. Is there a cheap and efficient way to sound proof my room?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Curtains can help, as can double- or triple-glazing but if cost if an issue just get some earplugs.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

Somewhat over a year ago, my wife and I stopped in the Wyland gallery in Waikiki. While I didn't care for his stuff, there was an artist whose work was being shown in part of the gallery. He used some process to dye metal. I recall most of his stuff being larger swathes of color, vs. something more intricate. We wanted to take a picture of one of his pieces so we could remember it for when we might be able to afford something of his, but were of course rebuffed. I wrote down his name somewhere, but have since lost it. Does anyone have any idea who I'm talking about, or have any way to point me in the right direction?

Call the gallery?

Here's a list of galleries with contact info:
http://www.wylandgalleries.com/gallery_locator

You mention Waikiki specifically, but I didn't find one under that name.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CzarChasm posted:

Call the gallery?

Here's a list of galleries with contact info:
http://www.wylandgalleries.com/gallery_locator

You mention Waikiki specifically, but I didn't find one under that name.

Yeah, I did end up emailing their generic help address. Who knows if they'll respond.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
I didn't know whether to post this here or in the Godzilla discussion thread. I REALLY want to see it in 3D but I wear glasses (no contacts). I remember a thousand years ago seeing a 3D movie and the glasses were poo poo. Are they better now? Can they be put over a pair of glasses and still work?

Gosh I feel so dumb asking this but I'm kind of freaking out. I will technically live seeing the regular version of the movie but still.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Pig Head posted:

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the Godzilla discussion thread. I REALLY want to see it in 3D but I wear glasses (no contacts). I remember a thousand years ago seeing a 3D movie and the glasses were poo poo. Are they better now? Can they be put over a pair of glasses and still work?

Gosh I feel so dumb asking this but I'm kind of freaking out. I will technically live seeing the regular version of the movie but still.

I wear glasses, and modern 3D movies work fine. The glasses are large enough to put on over your glasses, and they don't interact in any weird/unexpected ways.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Gravity Pike posted:

I wear glasses, and modern 3D movies work fine. The glasses are large enough to put on over your glasses, and they don't interact in any weird/unexpected ways.

I :h: you. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
3D movies still suck though, sorry.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

stubblyhead posted:

Forms are pretty cool.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
In Firefox, clicking on a link with the scroll wheel opens the link in a new tab. How do I get it to stay on the current tab when doing that? When I use my personal computer and scroll-click, it opens a new tab but the page I'm viewing stays the same. On my work computer, clicking a link with the scroll wheel switches me over to that tab. It annoys me, I want to stay on the current tab. Right clicking and "open link in new tab" does the same thing, switches me to the new tab.

How do I just get it to open the link in a new tab up top but not switch to that tab?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you checked preferences? In safari, thats a preference setting.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Yeah, there are some scroll wheel options but nothing to do with what clicking the wheel actually does.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Is that what you're looking for?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

razz posted:

In Firefox, clicking on a link with the scroll wheel opens the link in a new tab. How do I get it to stay on the current tab when doing that? When I use my personal computer and scroll-click, it opens a new tab but the page I'm viewing stays the same. On my work computer, clicking a link with the scroll wheel switches me over to that tab. It annoys me, I want to stay on the current tab. Right clicking and "open link in new tab" does the same thing, switches me to the new tab.

How do I just get it to open the link in a new tab up top but not switch to that tab?

As per Thanks Internet's post there may be a way to do it natively, but really Tab Mix Plus is the first extension I install on any Firefox installation, it lets you do what you're asking and so much more, can tweak tab behavior in so many ways. Want search results from using the search bar to open in a new foreground tab but every other link to open in a new background tab? Easy. Want to reorder the way tabs open (this is a necessity for me -- I want most recently opened tab to open closest to my current tab, pushing other tabs to the right)? No problem. Can change colors on tabs based on events (read vs. unread, auto-refreshing tabs, etc can all have their own color / font scheme). Great, great extension.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

regulargonzalez posted:

Want search results from using the search bar to open in a new foreground tab but every other link to open in a new background tab? Easy. Want to reorder the way tabs open (this is a necessity for me -- I want most recently opened tab to open closest to my current tab, pushing other tabs to the right)?
My Firefox does both of these without any extensions.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My Firefox does both of these without any extensions.

Maybe they've changed it, Firefox's behavior used to be different. Let's say I'm on a tab and I open 3 links from that tab, A B and C with A being the first of those three opened and C being the last.

It used to be that they'd appear [original tab] [A] [B] [C] [Other Random Tab] (iirc) and Chrome would open [original tab] [Other random tab] [A] [B] [C] (this might have been the default FF order too, don't remember). Whereas I insist on [original tab] [C] [B] [A] [Other Random Tab].

Again, they may have changed it so that this is how it works now. And all that said, Tab Mix Plus has lots of other options. Let's say you want search bar to overwrite your current foreground tab with the search results but every other tab opening link to open in a separate tab, or refresh a tab with a double click on the tab. All kinds of handy features.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
- Actually forget I posted anything. -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

regulargonzalez posted:

It used to be that they'd appear [original tab] [A] [B] [C] [Other Random Tab] (iirc) and Chrome would open [original tab] [Other random tab] [A] [B] [C] (this might have been the default FF order too, don't remember). Whereas I insist on [original tab] [C] [B] [A] [Other Random Tab].
Oh, no, it still does it that the normal way and not the weird way that you want.