Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Ropes4u posted:

I really want this game, with miniatures cause "geek", but haven't had a chance to demo it with my wife.

Would you say your wife is war game or casual gamer? From first glance it looks like ancients would be a fairly friendly sell to non war gamers.

Fake Edit: GMT is terrible at shipping games in time for weekend sperging.

She's more of a board gamer, I would say the most complicated game she'd played before this was Archipelago. First wargame she's played and she picked it up pretty easily and seemed to enjoy it and wants to play again. I don't know if I would foist any wargame more complicated than that on her though, as she doesn't tend to be a fan of multiple small situational rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

She's more of a board gamer, I would say the most complicated game she'd played before this was Archipelago. First wargame she's played and she picked it up pretty easily and seemed to enjoy it and wants to play again. I don't know if I would foist any wargame more complicated than that on her though, as she doesn't tend to be a fan of multiple small situational rules.

Perfect answer my wife is a gamer but I doubt she would sperg out on anything to complicated.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Just played my first game of Command and Colors Ancients with my wife. What an awesome game! Pretty simple rules with a good kind of randomness to them, particularly with the way the command cards can force tough decisions. We played the first scenario and I scored a Syracusan (Roman) victory.

Definitely looking forward to playing again.

When you play the C&C scenarios I'd recommend switching sides after the first game and playing a second one if you have time. The scenarios are usually in one side's favor and it's fun trying to figure out how to develop a strategy against the side you just played as. The large amount of setup time also makes this an attractive idea because all of the pieces you need are already out of the box and quick to put into place.

A friend and I have played through maybe about twenty or so scenarios, most of the core and some of the xpacs, and we usually do this. The only times we don't bother to do so are when the Romans have a clear advantage because he's much better at playing as the Romans so there's no point in him switching over to the Punic forces and the two of us playing a game that's going to end as a massacre.

edit: also, I've found that the Roman forces are much easier to learn to use effectively, but it helps to try playing as both sides so you get the experience of using the large numbers of medium infantry that the Romans favor versus the combined arms approach of Carthage.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I felt that the setup time was pretty low actually, for what it is. Throw a few blocks on the board, shuffle the cards and you're good to go. I was also impressed with how quickly it plays and I can totally see us banging out a game in an hour.

We're planning on switching sides and playing the first scenario again next time.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GMT shipped my order of Andean Abyss!! While I was waiting I have been watching and reading reviews and I think I will order Field Commander or Navajo Wars.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 13, 2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
What do you guys think of the Great Battles of History series? When I was looking at GMT stuff for the sale the Great Battles of Alexander P500 caught my eye.

I wish they'd ship my Space Empires order. I'm sure they're swamped from the sale but I wanna plaaay iiiitttt

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I wanna know if there are any print and play war games worth printing. I found a million on BGG, but I would like a goon recommendation before razing the forest.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I picked up Afrika Korps at a Half-Price Books and sat down to learn it tonight. I was always intimidated by hex-and-counter wargames, they looked ridiculously complicated, with a bunch of numbers on squares and me thinking "Ok there's gonna be a shitload of tables and countercharts etc"; coming from RTS games on PC.
Turns out it's just an attack number, defense number, movement number, and viola, hex-and-counter boardgames are Advance Wars: Unplugged.
This one's a 2 on the AH scale and took me maybe 15 minutes of reading and sorting pieces and I was in. I'm thinking of buying 1776 or Gettysburg, something a little more complex, but single-player. Any suggestions for, like, the "core" experience? Like "the game everyone has played" or whatever?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Do you want something specifically singleplayer or only something that can be played only by 1 but really is a multiplayer game?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I guess MP games that can be played SP is better, I have 1 or 2 friends I might be able to convince to pay at some point.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Quad posted:

I picked up Afrika Korps at a Half-Price Books and sat down to learn it tonight. I was always intimidated by hex-and-counter wargames, they looked ridiculously complicated, with a bunch of numbers on squares and me thinking "Ok there's gonna be a shitload of tables and countercharts etc"; coming from RTS games on PC.
Turns out it's just an attack number, defense number, movement number, and viola, hex-and-counter boardgames are Advance Wars: Unplugged.
This one's a 2 on the AH scale and took me maybe 15 minutes of reading and sorting pieces and I was in. I'm thinking of buying 1776 or Gettysburg, something a little more complex, but single-player. Any suggestions for, like, the "core" experience? Like "the game everyone has played" or whatever?

Out of old AH games, I'd say find a used copy of Anzio. It's got a gorgeous map, relatively low counter density, and a wide range of strategies available for both sides. The rules are about a generation more complicated than AK, 1776, or Gettysburg. Anzio also uses step by step reduction of units rather than eliminating units outright, and the advanced CRT has a strong mix of step losses and retreat results. Out of the 1st generation, I'd suggest Battle of the Bulge (my very first AH wargame, bought for a quarter at a church rummage sale in 1980). A good map with lots of terrain to keep things interesting and lots of pressure on the Germans to achieve their breakthrough.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Played my second game of Command and Colors Ancients last night, playing the first scenario again but switching sides with my wife. Once again the Syracusan (Roman) side won. It's definitely harder for the Carthaginians in that one, although if I'd moved my right flank sooner I might have won it.

I also just purchased C&C Napoleonics, Sword of Rome, the first expansion for C&C Ancients and Navajo Wars.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thanks to the GMT sale there shall be a counter insurgency in colorado this evening.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ropes4u posted:

Thanks to the GMT sale there shall be a counter insurgency in colorado this evening.

When you said this you made me think,briefly, that they made a Red Dawn version of that game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

When you said this you made me think,briefly, that they made a Red Dawn version of that game.

That is actually a pretty good idea and one I am dumb enough to want.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you want to live vicariously through other people on youtube playing games (solitaire) I can recommend this true grognard https://www.youtube.com/user/calandale

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I might finally get another game of Napoleon's Triumph. I've actually played Guns of Gettysburg more often than NT now so I'm pretty excited about getting to play NT again. I still feel like it is the superior game. I'm also likely to pick up Unconditional Surrender: has anyone got the chance to try it out?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I might finally get another game of Napoleon's Triumph. I've actually played Guns of Gettysburg more often than NT now so I'm pretty excited about getting to play NT again. I still feel like it is the superior game. I'm also likely to pick up Unconditional Surrender: has anyone got the chance to try it out?

Huzzah! Looking forward to a report! After having gotten in a full game of GoG, I definitely still feel NT is superior, but that GoG has its place in the world too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Huzzah! Looking forward to a report! After having gotten in a full game of GoG, I definitely still feel NT is superior, but that GoG has its place in the world too.
GoG is quite an experience generator, although I feel that the criticism that it 'isn't a game' is unwarranted. I will hopefully trip report on Napoleon's Triumph, hopefully I can make it interesting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

GoG is quite an experience generator, although I feel that the criticism that it 'isn't a game' is unwarranted. I will hopefully trip report on Napoleon's Triumph, hopefully I can make it interesting.

Know which side you're playing yet?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Know which side you're playing yet?
No idea. I think the French are easier to play though, so I might give that side to the newbie.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

No idea. I think the French are easier to play though, so I might give that side to the newbie.

Oddly, I have the opposite feeling. There's no good way to intuit how to place your initial detachments and the decision whether or not to bring on reinforcements is so central to French strategy that it can be a little overwhelming. Whereas, as the Allies, while you get fewer commands, you have the overall troop advantage and can just throw infantry at the enemy without it completely destroying everything.

Definitely just my personal opinion, though, and one probably borne from having played the Allies first. :v:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Are there any good war game podcasts?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Ropes4u posted:

Are there any good war game podcasts?

I like Three Moves Ahead, although it's only intermittently about board based wargames. I've Been Diced will often have interviews with designers, which can be pretty interesting. Finally, I've not listened myself, but the grogs seem to like Guns, Dice & Butter.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mighty Eris posted:

I like Three Moves Ahead, although it's only intermittently about board based wargames. I've Been Diced will often have interviews with designers, which can be pretty interesting. Finally, I've not listened myself, but the grogs seem to like Guns, Dice & Butter.

I have been listening the "three moves ahead" and appreciate the other recommendations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tekopo posted:

I'm also likely to pick up Unconditional Surrender: has anyone got the chance to try it out?

Funny you ask, the guy I linked above is currently playing USE.
There's a cyberboard module made by the designer available too.

http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/ is a very good podcast, but they are also not really about war/boardgames per se.

Riso fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 22, 2014

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What I'm really in the mood for is a game about the Roman invasion/occupation of Britain

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

What I'm really in the mood for is a game about the Roman invasion/occupation of Britain

Britannia starts with that period but goes beyond it to later struggles in early medieval times.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Riso posted:

Funny you ask, the guy I linked above is currently playing USE.
There's a cyberboard module made by the designer available too.

http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/ is a very good podcast, but they are also not really about war/boardgames per se.

Added it to the rotation, thank you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, I'd like to have a little discussion on wargame mechanics, camouflaged as a design challenge. I really like the wargames with some sort of political layer to them - whether it's maneuvering between other players, Diplomacy-style, or just wooing fake cardboard men. This got me thinking about the War of the League of Cambrai (you don't have to read the whole thing, just peek at the beligerents table): is it possible to represent this traitorous insanity in a boardgame form as a coherent diplomatic system?

Limitations:
- Keep it sane, not Campaign for North Africa-ish.
- The side-switching should contain some interesting game space, rather that being set in stone or just rolling dice forever.
- If you think the best way is to have factions jumping between two camps, you have to somehow define the camps.
- No matter how many players you think is optimal for representing the conflict, no-one should have to sit out a few hours in the middle of the game, nor be stuck playing, like, Scotland, when their opponents are duking it out as global superpowers like France and HRE.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Trynant posted:

Britannia starts with that period but goes beyond it to later struggles in early medieval times.

I enjoyed Britannia, but combat is mostly dice rolling. It's rather similar to History of the World.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Just found Rise and Decline of the Third Reich at a used bookstore! It's my first real wargame; I've played some Afrika Korps before but that's it. I'm thinking of learning how to play by starting a thread about it in Lets Play, maybe asking the thread to "be" the other player. Is that a thing, has that been done?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Quad posted:

Just found Rise and Decline of the Third Reich at a used bookstore! It's my first real wargame; I've played some Afrika Korps before but that's it. I'm thinking of learning how to play by starting a thread about it in Lets Play, maybe asking the thread to "be" the other player. Is that a thing, has that been done?
We've had a few LPs of wargames, (I ran one about Cuba Libre, there's one for Twilight Struggle and one for No Retreat) where goons play the sides, but I wouldn't really suggest to start one unless you know the rules well. As well as that, Third Reich is a monster of a game and is kind of old-fashioned in a way.

Lichtenstein posted:

So, I'd like to have a little discussion on wargame mechanics, camouflaged as a design challenge. I really like the wargames with some sort of political layer to them - whether it's maneuvering between other players, Diplomacy-style, or just wooing fake cardboard men. This got me thinking about the War of the League of Cambrai (you don't have to read the whole thing, just peek at the beligerents table): is it possible to represent this traitorous insanity in a boardgame form as a coherent diplomatic system?

Limitations:
- Keep it sane, not Campaign for North Africa-ish.
- The side-switching should contain some interesting game space, rather that being set in stone or just rolling dice forever.
- If you think the best way is to have factions jumping between two camps, you have to somehow define the camps.
- No matter how many players you think is optimal for representing the conflict, no-one should have to sit out a few hours in the middle of the game, nor be stuck playing, like, Scotland, when their opponents are duking it out as global superpowers like France and HRE.
I think something like that would be interesting if you had moving, shifting victory conditions, or conditions that allow some (but not all) of the players to strike a balance between the sides. I might try to think something up when I have the time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played a game of Napoleon's Triumph! Against a newbie. I played as the french: my opponent spent so much time getting into position that he didn't press me enough. I think he got discouraged after my cavalry screens managed to beat back a few corps because he didn't cover the side properly. He did manage to get into the swing of it later on but I managed to cover my sides from one of his flanking cavalry corps and his penetration on my right was beaten back with the arrival of one of my 3-strength cavalry (which I had detached from my left 3 hours previously). My opponent had fun and I think he understands how to attack now but he pretty much got smashed. Have some pics to show but unfortunately I can't seem to get my phone connected, so will upload them later.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm glad you had fun, but yeah, NT is definitely a game where it's a bit rough on new players when playing experienced players. On the other hand, it's such an incredibly fun game that hopefully he had a good time anyway.

I'm curious; how did you think of my opinion that Allied is easier on newbies than French? Given that he didn't do so well, you might maintain your opinion, but I wanna know!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
As always I'm a slave to whatever book I'm reading, so I have to ask, are there any good games about the Spanish Civil War?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Completely off topic: what are you reading? I'm looking for a good book on that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One book that I liked about the Spanish Civil War was 'The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939' by Antony Beevor.

I've also played GMT's 'The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939', which was pretty good. It's a pretty bog-standard hex'n'counter game but it has a few interesting twists: for example, you lose almost all the units you have at the start of the game so you have to continually ship stuff in in order to consolidate your lines. It has some political aspects as well, but it played well enough when I tried it.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm reading

Tekopo posted:

'The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939' by Antony Beevor.

So many acronyms, but I'm enjoying it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm reading

So many acronyms, but I'm enjoying it so far
I really enjoyed this book, which made a departure from previous Beevor books. It was also insanely depressing for me, especially since I consider myself left-wing.