Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

There is. Go to 16:15 to see it. He also does a skip in dragon aerie and a skip to the giant lord bonfire but those are probably only really important if you are actually doing a speedrun.

And wow is it hilarious. The old skip at least made sense in that you were jumping around from hill to hill, in this one he spends half the time floating in the air on invisible collision boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ogres can go suck it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ogres were easy once I figured out to dodge when their fists are coming down rather than when when they're winding up. Gotta abuse those iframes, son.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

drat, getting the Grand Lance is aggravating. Tried to do the jump from that tiny rear end platform into the room three times, none successful. :argh:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Man, watching this speedrun is kind of fascinating, the jumps he does to get through the Gutter are crazy, I usually don't like speedruns because it's just boiling a game down to its components but this is fun.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Ogres were easy once I figured out to dodge when their fists are coming down rather than when when they're winding up. Gotta abuse those iframes, son.

Yeah I'm probably gonna have to learn to abuse iframes. I've been using a greatshield but their attacks either take out half your stamina or ignore the shield.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

david... posted:

Man, watching this speedrun is kind of fascinating, the jumps he does to get through the Gutter are crazy, I usually don't like speedruns because it's just boiling a game down to its components but this is fun.

This run is also nice because he spends a lot of time explaining why he grabs particular items and what is optional (esp. bonfires).

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I'm probably gonna have to learn to abuse iframes. I've been using a greatshield but their attacks either take out half your stamina or ignore the shield.

Ogres will always do the sit down attack if you get behind them so trigger the attack, attack a couple of times and stay behind them. They'll just chain sit and you're relatively safe since it has an obvious tell, plenty of time to dodge and a small hitbox.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Here's the youtube for that 49:11 speedrun from yesterday:

Man, I just started this video and that jump at 6:40. God drat, just God drat.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

It's cool to own myself by loving up a guard break four times in a row.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a trick to blowing up the Cardinal Tower wall with a firebomb? Just spent like 20 bombs trying :negative:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QEWJAT0PI

I'm assuming the Gyrm Greataxes aren't supposed to have this powerstance animation.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Is there a trick to blowing up the Cardinal Tower wall with a firebomb? Just spent like 20 bombs trying :negative:

What worked for me was going to the right-ish side of the wall and getting right up on the wall, and looking down. You'll get hit by the explosion but it won't kill you.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

KoldPT posted:

You just have to hit the barrels, they're what makes it explode.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

KoldPT posted:

Stand right against the breakable wall, directly on the second tile seam from the wall to your right and look down. I'm not sure whether the looking down part does anything, but hey it works.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QEWJAT0PI

I'm assuming the Gyrm Greataxes aren't supposed to have this powerstance animation.

Other greataxes have the same power stance. I prefer to use the lion greataxe combined with whatever great hammer I can carry at the time.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
After thinking about it I feel like the real issue with BoB is that you can't get any credit/orbs/etc from doing red soapstone junk, I was definitely having more fun with it before learning that the 100-some duels on the iron keep bridge didn't get me any covenant cred.

Also, it was a few pages back, but I too think it would have been really cool if there had been a mirror covenant, and maybe had some more Aldia's style mirrors around the game.

I think the easiest band-aid they could put on the Reds would be to make it so that losses didn't count against you (and maybe have soapstone kills count for rank). And just make it so that the blues don't consume tokens to duel.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Mirror Covenant solely for mirror knight summons and invading through the Aldia mirrors, with a much wider SM range than normal. :getin:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

AndroidHub posted:

I think the easiest band-aid they could put on the Reds would be to make it so that losses didn't count against you (and maybe have soapstone kills count for rank). And just make it so that the blues don't consume tokens to duel.

This man speaks truth. Change SM to 'Souls Spent' rather than 'Souls Earned', remove losses counting against you for BoB, and don't consume Token of Fidelity for the Blue covenant. I'd be a pretty happy camper. Still wouldn't fix the fact that small soapstone is way more useful than regular soapstone though...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Atoramos posted:

Still wouldn't fix the fact that small soapstone is way more useful than regular soapstone though...

Just let tokens of fidelity be considered smooth and silky. Perfect.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Atoramos posted:

This man speaks truth. Change SM to 'Souls Spent' rather than 'Souls Earned', remove losses counting against you for BoB, and don't consume Token of Fidelity for the Blue covenant. I'd be a pretty happy camper. Still wouldn't fix the fact that small soapstone is way more useful than regular soapstone though...

The thing is, changing it to souls spent would cause the SM system to be totally useless in stopping what so many people complained about; low level twinks. From what I understand one of the idea behind the SM system was to make it impossible for people to invade low level players with high end gear. In that regard it sort of works, albeit in a very clunky way. No matter how many enemies you skip, you still accumulate a significant amount of SM from bosses. You also get SM from successful invasions you can't do anything about. So even when you go out of your way to keep your SM low for invasions, at some point you'll be pushed out of the low level range. If it only counted souls spent, then it wouldn't deter twinks at all. They could just use the bare minimum souls needed to max out their gear and throw the rest away.

That said, the system has a bunch of nasty side effects that make online play worse overall. They also made 0 effort to stop people from hacking the game. What's the point of trying to balance a delicate mechanic when you don't do anything about people running around with infinite health?

turtlecrunch posted:

Mirror Covenant solely for mirror knight summons and invading through the Aldia mirrors, with a much wider SM range than normal. :getin:

This made me think, an interesting way a Mirror Knight covenant could work is that outside of the boss fight, you invade people like a normal red phantom. However, you spawn as a mirror copy of that person. Your character temporarily acquires their level, weapons, etc. It would be interesting for the invader since you have to fight with different weapon sets constantly, but the playing field is a lot more even for both parties.

VVV Upgrading gear is still super cheap though, so it wouldn't really matter.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 15, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Eh, the problem was less high-level gear in terms of what the gear was but rather how much it had been upgraded. With souls spent you'd run into the problem of punishing players for buying consumables or unnecessary gear though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

This made me think, an interesting way a Mirror Knight covenant could work is that outside of the boss fight, you invade people like a normal red phantom. However, you spawn as a mirror copy of that person. Your character temporarily acquires their level, weapons, etc. It would be interesting for the invader since you have to fight with different weapon sets constantly, but the playing field is a lot more even for both parties.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine two Havels shooting Avelyns at each other... forever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm a heavy dex build. Currently I'm using a Falchion and Ricard's Rapier. I just got a Blacksteel Katana while fighting through the Iron Keep.

My Falcion is +8, my Ricard's Rapier is +10. After doing some reading, I was thinking of taking the Blacksteel Katana to +10 and adding lightning to it and also adding poison to Ricard's.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My character has around 140-170 bonus for each type of magic, what's the best thing to infuse my weapons with?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

AndroidHub posted:

After thinking about it I feel like the real issue with BoB is that you can't get any credit/orbs/etc from doing red soapstone junk, I was definitely having more fun with it before learning that the 100-some duels on the iron keep bridge didn't get me any covenant cred.

Just getting a smooth and silky for an invasion win (cracked, red sign, or whatever) would be pretty great and also cut down on the ton of grinding you need to do to upgrade all the stupid things you need to upgrade. Or if you could do anything with token's of spite. I've eaten them while standing in one of the Belfries and it doesn't actually seem to do anything.

I'm never going to get rank 2 in BoB and will probably never get rank 1 on my manikin dex guy because of the loss thing and that makes me a little sad because I like cool flames and I want people to think I'm a big shot but I don't know that it's necessarily bad giving an incentive for people to try to come up with the bullshittiest gamebreaking bullshit. An hour in the BoB arena and you know the current state of the min-max metagame (or max, I guess, because with soul memory there's no min). You don't have to participate.

Putting in a hard level cap of 120 would 90% fix PvP but that would be too perfect for this world.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tetracube posted:

My character has around 140-170 bonus for each type of magic, what's the best thing to infuse my weapons with?

Dark with Reso Weapon seems to be the hands down best, with lightning coming up behind it.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

No matter how many enemies you skip, you still accumulate a significant amount of SM from bosses. You also get SM from successful invasions you can't do anything about. So even when you go out of your way to keep your SM low for invasions, at some point you'll be pushed out of the low level range. If it only counted souls spent, then it wouldn't deter twinks at all. They could just use the bare minimum souls needed to max out their gear and throw the rest away.

So in other words you can still totally do it, you just have to cheat to lower you SM or keep a backup of your low-SM save. Also because of the limited availability of cracked red eye orbs early on you practically never get invaded until NG+ at all.

If you completely took out soul memory from the game as it is right now and replaced it with SL-based matchmaking it would make everything about the online parts of the game better with no real downsides. Soul memory is simply a dumb idea with an even dumber execution.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mordiceius posted:

So I'm a heavy dex build. Currently I'm using a Falchion and Ricard's Rapier. I just got a Blacksteel Katana while fighting through the Iron Keep.

My Falcion is +8, my Ricard's Rapier is +10. After doing some reading, I was thinking of taking the Blacksteel Katana to +10 and adding lightning to it and also adding poison to Ricard's.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Do not infuse the Blacksteel. Infusing a weapon kills its scaling, and that's all the Blacksteel has going for it. If you're going to infuse a katana, infuse the Uchigatana, Washing Pole, and/or Chaos Blade.

Poison Ricard's is a good idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KoldPT posted:

If bombs dont' work, just heal to full health and then go whack em with the fire longsword :black101:

You'll survive with a silver of health, and the path will be opened permanently (even if you die)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Do it from the side that actually has the barrels, it's not like the path to it is long.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

King of Solomon posted:

Do not infuse the Blacksteel. Infusing a weapon kills its scaling, and that's all the Blacksteel has going for it. If you're going to infuse a katana, infuse the Uchigatana, Washing Pole, and/or Chaos Blade.

Poison Ricard's is a good idea.

So being that the Falchion, Blacksteel, and Ricard's are the three main weapons I've been enjoying using. What should my setup be.

Note: I'm dual wielding (with Ricard's in offhand currently).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Atoramos posted:

That would not affect BoB ranks in the slightest. You do not gain souls in the Arena, and red orb invasions do not count for rank ups.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Atoramos posted:

Still wouldn't fix the fact that small soapstone is way more useful than regular soapstone though...

My personal fixes would be:

- disable black separation crystals for small white soapstones, because the number of abusers who throw out near-complete shades are getting pretty high now

- let NG and NG+~ players play with each other, if the SM fits, it fits. If not by default, then let the heirs of the sun have this ability. The covenant is about coop after all. It should have a perk or two when it comes to its core purpose.

- small white soapstones shouldn't complete tasks mid-combat, I've seen too many 'TASK FULFILLED' in the middle of a boss fight.

- small white soapstones should only restore 1 stage of hollow instead of granting humanity altogether, this would encourage much more coop (not that it's usually a problem but some areas are more sparse than others).

- normal soapstones should grant full humanity on completion, plus some bonus souls on top, and have zero time limit. It's only a problem in one or two areas (No Man's Wharf full phantoms sometimes get 'TASK FULFILLED' before reaching the flexile sentry, especially if the player is new or slower) but it stiffs the player out of help. Because the area is large enough to reach the time limit, it takes too long and players don't want to place the signs down. It's double punishment enough for the player who wants help. I'm sure everyone has experienced having to fight the flexile sentry alone, or waiting a little longer than usual to get phantom help.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

- small white soapstones should only restore 1 stage of hollow instead of granting humanity altogether, this would encourage much more coop (not that it's usually a problem but some areas are more sparse than others).

That's the worst idea ever and will result in no one using small white soapstones ever. Much more painless to just pop an effigy now and then.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

- disable black separation crystals for small white soapstones, because the number of abusers who throw out near-complete shades are getting pretty high now
I don't get this one. Why would hosts do that?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Literally the only reason to do that is to dick you over, pretty much, unless they want to solo the boss or something and you haven't finished out your shade timer.

If your shade timer is low already and they enter the boss room, you get kicked out automatically, I've noticed.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

drat, getting the Grand Lance is aggravating. Tried to do the jump from that tiny rear end platform into the room three times, none successful. :argh:

that was the most frustrating part of the whole game for me, haha. it wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't boot you out of the memories after a few minutes for some arbitrary reason.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tarezax posted:

If your shade timer is low already and they enter the boss room, you get kicked out automatically, I've noticed.

This hasn't been my experience at all. I've always been able to enter the boss room and just time out mid-fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Tarezax posted:

If this happens to you it's probably because the host has already killed the boss and still summoned shades to help them through the area for some bizarre reason.