Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Don't fire an LB 2-X as a slug at anything larger than a Flea, two one-point clusters means two chances to get a TAC.

I only have Slug Ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Assuming that the Ultimatum is indeed a bomb, how would it work? Would it even be a nuke? Surely deploying WMD's would be a political death sentence for Amaris. And if it is a nuke, wouldn't it wind up destroying his own forces as well? How fanatical are the Blackguard?

If it's a mundane bomb then setting it off by shooting it might actually work to Goonstar's advantage. If it has a range of at least seven hexes it'll catch the Longbow, Coyote and Hunchback in the blast radius, but at the cost of most of the remaining southern equipment. Even if it's not a bomb it's probably something you should get rid of ASAP. It's an unknown but it's definitely something hostile.

Also speaking of unknowns, don't forget that invisible reinforcements have apparently arrived from somewhere out of your collective lines of sight.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

From the update:

quote:

The Star Colonel continued, “It was not there a moment ago. I had a clear view: it was completely invisible until it fired. This is troubsome.”

Honestly not sure if this is clan-lingo or a typo.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
So, I'm checking again my Mech's sheet from the previous round and I see a -2 MP...but my Mech has 8 running MP, not 7 (so it should be 6 MP instead of 5 with the penalty) :aaa: I should be able to turn at the end of my movement, right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

So, I'm checking again my Mech's sheet from the previous round and I see a -2 MP...but my Mech has 8 running MP, not 7 (so it should be 6 MP instead of 5 with the penalty) :aaa: I should be able to turn at the end of my movement, right?

Running MP is derived from your walking MP. You started out 5/8 and got cooked to 3/5.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

dis astranagant posted:

Running MP is derived from your walking MP. You started out 5/8 and got cooked to 3/5.

:Battletech: strikes again.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Scintilla posted:

Assuming that the Ultimatum is indeed a bomb, how would it work? Would it even be a nuke? Surely deploying WMD's would be a political death sentence for Amaris.

Even a tiny, tactical nuke?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well according to Sarna wiki the Ares Conventions were incredibly tough on Nuclear, Biological and Chemical weapons, so much so that not even Tear Gas could be used against foreign troops. Now, the Conventions are no longer followed rigorously but it would be pretty dangerous for someone who wants to become the First Lord of the new Star League to begin his ascent by deploying nukes.

Then again it might be intentional since Amaris Jr. has been portrayed as something of an armchair general.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

pun pundit posted:

:Battletech: strikes again.

Thought it was just a standard -2 :doh:

The 80s surely were the best era for tabletop and rpgs rulebooks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Readingaccount posted:

Even a tiny, tactical nuke?

Has to be big enough to kill the massively hardened combat vehicles hundreds of metres away, or it's kinda pointless. That is significantly harder than you would think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank#Nuclear_tests

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, since things are heating up and we're likely to see more enemy reinforcements pouring in I've gone back over the entire scenario and compiled everything the OpFor units are kitted out with. Keep in mind that certain units like the Coyote clearly have not demonstrated their full capabilities as of yet. I will continue to update as the scenario progresses.

Here's the list:

Chameleon:

2x Large Laser
TAG
Lance
Double Heat Sinks (16)
Void Sig

Stinger:

ER Medium Laser
ER Small Laser
Lance
Light Fusion Engine (Took two engine hits when side torso was destroyed) :siren:Clanspec:siren: XL Engine
Double Heat Sinks (10)
Void Sig

Talon:

Light PPC with Capacitor
5x ER Small Laser
Light Fusion Engine (Took two engine hits when side torso was destroyed) :siren:Clanspec:siren: XL Engine
Double Heat Sinks (11)
Void Sig

Thug:

2x Heavy PPC with Capacitor
Medium Pulse Laser
Triple Strength Myomer
Double Heat Sinks (17)
Void Sig

Hunchback:

2x ER Medium Laser
Ultra AC20
Angel ECM
Triple Strength Myomer
Double Heat Sinks (11)
Void Sig

Black Knight:

Heavy PPC with Capacitor
2x Large Laser
4x ER Medium Laser
Triple Strength Myomer
Double Heat Sinks (18)
Void Sig

Excalibur:

Gauss Rifle
LRM20 with Artemis
Lance
Double Heat Sinks (11)
Void Sig

Coyote:

Snub-Nosed PPC
ER Large Laser
Streak SRM-6
Lance
Double Heat Sinks (14)
Triple Strength Myomer
Targeting Computer (Which PTN forgets to activate until the end :v:)
Small Cockpit (Due to head-mounted ER Large Laser)
Void Sig

Longbow:

2x LRM20 with Artemis (Artemis + Semi-Guided Ammo)
2x ER Small Laser
2x Small Laser
Large Laser
TAG
Double Heat Sinks (13)
Void Sig
:siren:Clanspec:siren: XL Engine
‘Ultimatum’

Crab:

2x ER Large Laser
ER Medium Laser
ER Small
Medium Pulse Laser
Double Heat Sinks (18)
Triple Strength Myomer
Void Sig

Bobcat:

Light PPC without Capacitor
Snub-Nosed PPC with Capacitor
Lance
Angel ECM
Double Heat Sinks (12)
Void Sig

Unknown Assault A:

Gauss Rifle (At least one ton of ammo has been expended)
2x Light PPC with Capacitor
Plasma Rifle
Double Heat Sinks (16)
Void Sig

Unknown Assault B:

2x Light PPC with Capacitor
Snub-Nosed PPC with Capacitor
Plasma Rifle
LB-10X Autocannon (Cluster and Slug Munitions)
Medium Pulse Laser
Double Heat Sinks (13)
Lance
Small Cockpit (Due to head-mounted Plasma Rifle)
Void Sig

Phoenix:

Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser
2x SRM-4 (Normal, Inferno, Electromagnetic Pulse)
Double Heat Sinks (15)
Void Sig

Locust:

ER Medium Laser
4x SRM-2 (Inferno Ammunition)
Double Heat Sinks (10)
Angel ECM Guardian ECM
Void Sig

--

In addition, some current OpFor units have taken severe damage.

The Hunchback has taken two engine hits, a hit to its Angel ECM, a hit to its Void Sig and a hit to its Lower Arm Actuator.

Longbow A (The one that deployed ‘Ultimatum’) has taken a hit to its Semi-Guided ammunition, which exploded but was vented by CASE II. The LRM20 in its left arm was also hit. Last turn it took an engine hit and a hit to its Angel ECM, and its left arm was completely blown off.

The Excalibur has taken a hit to its LRM20.

Hope this helps!

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 10, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Nice list!

Any idea if I got this right?

8/39 NRWR Mechs destroyed, +1 Locust Retreated (Round 15)
----
1 Stinger (Round 4)
1 Chameleon (Round 7)
1 Talon (Round 7)
1 Bobcat (Round 9)
1 Crab (Round 12)
1 Stinger (Round 13)
1 Locust (Round 14)
1 Bobcat (Round 15)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 15, 2014

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Scintilla posted:

A bunch of good stuff

That's brilliant work right there, very helpful, especially the notes about the Hunchback having serious engine damage.

Also, I'm almost positive the Thug is running a Light Fusion. It's not confirmed, but a 4/6 LFE Thug mod with 15 tons of armor, seventeen DHS, two HPPCs w/ caps, medium pulse laser, and Void Sig plus Angel ECM comes out to exactly the right mass. Amount of armor looks about right for what we were seeing, too. Has enough crits free for the TSM, too.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I've only noted down what I've explicitly seen mentioned. We know that every enemy unit is mounting ECM due to Void Sig, but I'm not comfortable pegging it as Angel or Guardian unless I see it mentioned in a crit. Similarly it's a fair guess that every enemy is also mounting Double Heat Sinks. If you want to try reverse-engineering any of the designs it's good to keep the above in mind.

Also I have a sneaking suspicion that the two Longbows may be carrying two slightly different loadouts, but since it's hard to keep track of which one is doing what I can't be absolutely sure.

Readingaccount posted:

Nice list!

Any idea if I got this right?

8/39 NRWR Mechs destroyed, +1 Locust Retreated (Round 15)
----
1 Stinger (Round 4)
1 Chameleon (Round 7)
1 Talon (Round 7)
1 Bobcat (Round 9)
1 Crab (Round 12)
1 Stinger (Round 13)
1 Locust (Round 14)
1 Bobcat (Round 15)

Looks good to me.

Also remember guys, there's a Black Knight and another Phoenix hiding somewhere down south. And however many hidden units that have just entered the map, probably from the north.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 15, 2014

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

goatface posted:

Has to be big enough to kill the massively hardened combat vehicles hundreds of metres away, or it's kinda pointless. That is significantly harder than you would think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank#Nuclear_tests
The wiki article you link to says about the tank in the nuke test that "had it been manned, the crew would probably have been killed by the shock wave." I reckon pilot kills count :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pfft, mechwarriors are dime a dozen, mechs are expensive.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If anything it'd be preferable to kill all the clan pilots but leave the mechs intact, so they could harvest them for clan goodies. Although I don't know if the Republic plans to hold the field here, or if this is just one hell of a raid and they'll get out of dodge before the cavalry shows up.

I was going to suggest they'd want to clear out before Marik can show up and drop the hammer, but I suspect if the Clans can't stand up to the Republic at the moment the FWL won't have anything better.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Honestly this has all the hallmarks of a raid. An initial ambush by Assaults and Heavies to blitz the defenders and act as the tip of the spear, supported by lighter and more mobile units like the Stingers and Locusts to throw anyone left into confusion whilst the Longbows slip in and deploy the nuke/targeting beacon/bomb. One of the Clanners in the fluff mentioned that the Blackguard were ignoring potential salvage in favour of wreaking more destruction, which is a good indicator of their goals.

As for what happens after, I previously asked what resources the NRWR has at its disposal, which PTN said was a good question. It's entirely possible that the Trouts are like the Clans in that they have exceptional technology but lack the resources for a sustained campaign. Their modus operandi seems to support this; raids, false-flags, planned assassinations of enemy leaders, etc. If that is the case then Goonstar succeeding in damaging this attacking force may have some negative repercussions for the NRWR.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Scintilla posted:

I've only noted down what I've explicitly seen mentioned. We know that every enemy unit is mounting ECM due to Void Sig, but I'm not comfortable pegging it as Angel or Guardian unless I see it mentioned in a crit. Similarly it's a fair guess that every enemy is also mounting Double Heat Sinks. If you want to try reverse-engineering any of the designs it's good to keep the above in mind.

A fair point. I'm more willing to assume they're using Angels everywhere, just because it's so much better without being much heavier and C-bill cost seems to be no object for this particular battalion based on one of PTN's posts earlier. But sometimes that extra bit of mass really matters for something mission-critical. Might have to go putter around some more with my unit models when I get home, Guardians might make some of them work better.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

Well according to Sarna wiki the Ares Conventions were incredibly tough on Nuclear, Biological and Chemical weapons, so much so that not even Tear Gas could be used against foreign troops. Now, the Conventions are no longer followed rigorously but it would be pretty dangerous for someone who wants to become the First Lord of the new Star League to begin his ascent by deploying nukes.

Then again it might be intentional since Amaris Jr. has been portrayed as something of an armchair general.

Practically the first act of the original First Lord of the Star League did was suspend the Ares Conventions. I wrote this thing which is as comprehensive a rundown of the Conventions as I feel like making so I won't repeat myself, but the short short version is that the Ares Conventions were extremely silly.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
So basically the Conventions haven't been in force for several centuries and even when they were it didn't matter because they were like United Nations resolutions and were broken by anyone who thought they could get away with it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

+1 Locust Retreated (Round 15)

The retreating locust doesn't count. It's going to be back. :tinfoil:

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
I am rooting for the Ultimatum device to be a holo-projector for an 80ft tall Amaris.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

So basically the Conventions haven't been in force for several centuries and even when they were it didn't matter because they were like United Nations resolutions and were broken by anyone who thought they could get away with it?

Yes, and when both sides did follow them it made warfare basically the default option for settling any kind of dispute. Their creation, rather than bring about peace, actually extended the Age of War significantly.

They were silly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Urcinius posted:

I am rooting for the Ultimatum device to be a holo-projector for an 80ft tall Amaris.

:argh:

Stop ruining my plot points!

Holograms in BattleTech don't work that way. They need a medium to project onto, probably either a liquid or a charged gas, hence "holotank"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think Ultimatum is a nuke or a bomb, because it'd be dumb to manually deploy that from a mech in a hex instead of just firing it directly into the camp from orbit. If the goal is to destroy everything in the camp, and using nukes are on the table, why bother taking tons of damage to your incredibly expensive mechs in a firefight first?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think Ultimatum is a nuke or a bomb, because it'd be dumb to manually deploy that from a mech in a hex instead of just firing it directly into the camp from orbit. If the goal is to destroy everything in the camp, and using nukes are on the table, why bother taking tons of damage to your incredibly expensive mechs in a firefight first?

Legitimate point. However, it could be that the ultimatum isn't aimed at the Clans but at Duncan Marik. "Hey Duncan, do X or we'll detonate a nuke. Since both we and the Clans have 'mechs in the area but you don't, guess who'll take the fall?"

Even if it isn't a bomb at all, it might still be worthwhile to blow the thing up before the Rim Worlders get to do whatever it is they want do with it. It's an ultimatum, we can guess there aren't puppies and rainbows in that thing....

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Well, you are assuming that they have their own ship(s) in orbit. That could well not be the case.

jng2058 posted:

Legitimate point. However, it could be that the ultimatum isn't aimed at the Clans but at Duncan Marik. "Hey Duncan, do X or we'll detonate a nuke. Since both we and the Clans have 'mechs in the area but you don't, guess who'll take the fall?"

But the Clans already have been keeping in contact with the fleet, so they know what's going on on the ground. I mean I guess it could work if played right, but seems a bit far fetched at this juncture.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Perhaps Amaris is attempting to catch Gamma Galaxy in the ensuing blast? Maine mentioned that they were on the way. Maybe the Trouts are trying to lure out the Clan reinforcements and then drop the hammer on them all at once.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Didn't Gamma Galaxy just lose their HQ vehicle for their ground forces though? They're going to come in disorganized and vulnerable to a trap.

Anyway, if you set it off it explodes, if you don't, your friends die... if it's a bomb.
Damned if you do and if you don't.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It may not even be preferable to target it immediately, especially with all the enemy mechs milling around. The Hunchback is one engine hit away from death and the Longbow has lost all of its center torso armour.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Defiance Industries posted:

Yes, and when both sides did follow them it made warfare basically the default option for settling any kind of dispute. Their creation, rather than bring about peace, actually extended the Age of War significantly.

They were silly.

We probably won't see the timeline where the Inner Sphere continued to resolve all disputes by nuclear bombardment to check if that allowed for a decisive winner in the Succession Wars, because everyone in that timeline is dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's an HPG crack-and-piggyback unit. He wants to talk to the clans.

The ones back home in clan-land.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not a bomb, it's *~PLOT~*

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Then you should definitely Arrow IV it to stay true to your Clanner roots.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Then you should definitely Arrow IV it to stay true to your Clanner roots.

Confirming this. It must be an hpg virus relay node. From the filthy com star collaborators.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Shoot itDFA it now. Think of the glory.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aff, you must detonate the Plottm. It is the Clan way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do the thing where you fire your jump-jets at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a bomb, it's *~PLOT~*

The bane of all Clanners everywhere.

"Sure, we'll happily fight you in this swamp!"

"Yup, no problem whatsoever standing in a large cluster in this suspicious canyon which our Elementals just cleared demo-gear toting infantry from the top of while waiting our turn to fist-fight this guy!"

Oh, Stackpole. If only you didn't need your antagonists to be stupid to let your terrible protagonists win.

• Locked thread