Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just noticed that the Vatican isn't even included in this map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
One of Ireland's problems is all that "family" poo poo is written in our constitution (thanks de Valera), which requires a referendum to change, which required time and money, which governments don't like doing. Needless to say though, gay marriage would pass a referendum here no problem.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

the jizz taxi posted:

I actually assumed Italy being so socially conservative had to do more with the influence of the Church.

Extract the Vatican from Rome and put it down on a Pacific island somewhere.

The main problem is that we haven't had a proper non-conservative government since 2000 (thanks, Silvio!). Even during the brief periods in which a left-wing party was in power, it was in name only since thanks to an absolutely asinine electoral law they could not get an absolute majority, and had to ally themselves with minor right-wing parties to have a majority in parliament.

The most recent attempt in favour of gay marriage was this year, actually, proposed by the current prime minister Renzi. When the church protested (through the CEI, the community of italian bishops) the answer was "Thanks for your input, but here in Italy we have the separation of church and state."

Then Alfano (the boss of the right-wing party Renzi's party is allied with) actually came out and explicitly said "If they try to pass a gay marriage law we're gonna topple the government" :argh:

Really, I could write a five-thousand word essay on why Italy's politics are absolutely hosed up (most notable point: there are still at least 15% of Italians who are willing to vote for Berlusconi, who is a convicted felon), but I think I'd get an aneurysm from high blood pressure before I reach the halfway point.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 15, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mikl posted:

The main problem is that we haven't had a proper non-conservative government since 2000 (thanks, Silvio!).
Yeah, the wrong political parties being in power can really make you fall behind when there's otherwise a lot of momentum behind a cause. (Though Italy probably wouldn't have been a frontrunner with different parties in charge, given their current score.) In the case of Denmark, we were ahead of the pack early on, then just rested on our laurels. By the time international momentum started building up behind LGBT causes, we were burdened with a liberal party which left social issues largely to their social conservative supporters, who obviously weren't in any hurry to deal with those issues. Otherwise we would've probably allowed gay marriage a decade earlier.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mikl posted:

Really, I could write a five-thousand word essay on why Italy's politics are absolutely hosed up (most notable point: there are still at least 15% of Italians who are willing to vote for Berlusconi, who is a convicted felon), but I think I'd get an aneurysm from high blood pressure before I reach the halfway point.

Really, an "Italian politics" thread would be fascinating. I don't know much about Italian politics, and I've only vaguely heard about the scandal around Berlusconi; I think it'd be very educational!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, I'm also interested. If you or someone else make a thread about it, please link it here.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Well since you asked, I'll try to get a thread up over the weekend.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
There was one not too long ago and it didn't gain much traction.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

khwarezm posted:

Lets not go nuts, we don't have anything close to the kind of hardcore zealots that influence American discourse(although Northern Ireland has its fair share of that), its more of a holdover of Ireland's long, long period as a, uh, quaint little colony of Catholicism holding out against those Protestant barbarian Saxons across the sea. Its taking a very long time to shake off the Catholic church's influence in culture and politics, especially when combined with the sort of sluggish system that kustomkarkommando described.

I keep misreading Stormont as "Stormfront" and I don't think that's inappropriate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's a language map of Canada

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Top one: Number of fires in a region.

Bottom one: Number of acres burned in a region. (or acres/fire rather)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mikl posted:

"Thanks for your input, but here in Italy we have the separation of church and state."

I thought you guys had a law or something that makes it illegal to ever say anything bad about the Vatican or something like that, am I just crazy?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also crosses in classrooms because the cross isn't a religious symbol it's a cultural one and being catholic is a culture not a religion so we're all good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

Also crosses in classrooms because the cross isn't a religious symbol it's a cultural one and being catholic is a culture not a religion so we're all good.

They have crosses in Bavarian classrooms as well, even though the German constitutional court ruled them unconstitutional.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I thought you guys had a law or something that makes it illegal to ever say anything bad about the Vatican or something like that, am I just crazy?

Not that I know of. At least if there's a law like that it's not enforced, since there are lots of people saying some very bad poo poo about the Church and the Pope, and they do so without any legal consequences.

Baronjutter posted:

This is a holdout of the Lateran Treaty, in which catholicism was named as Italy's official religion, so every public office / school had to have a cross displayed somewhere.

Note the use of past form verbs. This part of the Treaty was abolished by a revision in 1984.

It was thirty years ago you guys, let go of it already! :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Torrannor posted:

They have crosses in Bavarian classrooms as well, even though the German constitutional court ruled them unconstitutional.

Bavaria is germany's red neck bible belt basically, but also rich as poo poo after being propped up by buckets of marshal aid and nazi old-money post-war. They got so upset over the EU allowing coloured and foreign folk in they started their own internal border crossing with passport inspections and poo poo on trains. So even germans going into Bavaria had their crazy right wing police demanding "papers please".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Bavaria is germany's red neck bible belt basically, but also rich as poo poo after being propped up by buckets of marshal aid and nazi old-money post-war. They got so upset over the EU allowing coloured and foreign folk in they started their own internal border crossing with passport inspections and poo poo on trains. So even germans going into Bavaria had their crazy right wing police demanding "papers please".

:commissar:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mikl posted:

Not that I know of. At least if there's a law like that it's not enforced, since there are lots of people saying some very bad poo poo about the Church and the Pope, and they do so without any legal consequences.

This is a holdout of the Lateran Treaty, in which catholicism was named as Italy's official religion, so every public office / school had to have a cross displayed somewhere.

Note the use of past form verbs. This part of the Treaty was abolished by a revision in 1984.

It was thirty years ago you guys, let go of it already! :argh:

Okay I think I was thinking of a specific case I read about a while ago where your excessive anti-defamation laws were used against someone politically and it involved the Vatican. Sorry!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Okay I think I was thinking of a specific case I read about a while ago where your excessive anti-defamation laws were used against someone politically and it involved the Vatican. Sorry!

No need to apologize!

I wonder if I came across as too pissy or snappy in my reply. Just to clarify, the last line of my previous post (including the :argh: smiley) was directed at my fellow Italians who can't let go of some part of the Lateran Treaty (like the crucifix in public building) despite it being massively outdated, not at any posters in this thread. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Me, an American, crossing into Bavaria from Austria via train. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the car because it was like 5:00 in the morning, and two cops stroll on in:

:cop: Ausweis, bitte. (ID, please)
:crossarms: Ist...etwas geschehen? ("Has something happened?" in American-accented German)
:cop: *without looking up* Routine.

He gave my passport back and I returned to watching Top Gear on my laptop. I thought it was Schengen all up in here, so I was definitely confused.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

Yes, that a pretty good description. I secretly hope that we will at some point be forced to cede Bavaria to Austria. The Bavarians and Austrians can try to outdo each other with xenophobic politics, and we get rid of the most lovely right wing politicians (and the voters who keep electing them). Meaning that our relatively sane conservative politicians cannot be dragged ever more to the right by the Bavarian freaks, and of course the number of conservative voters in relation to the others gets smaller.

We would also get rid of Bayern Munich, who can play in the Austrian league instead.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

tbp posted:

There was one not too long ago and it didn't gain much traction.

I'm not sure there's enough interest for a thread per se, but the old Euro Drama thread could use a new edition. Or I guess you could do that italy post in the europarl elections thread.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Me, an American, crossing into Bavaria from Austria via train. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the car because it was like 5:00 in the morning, and two cops stroll on in:

:cop: Ausweis, bitte. (ID, please)
:crossarms: Ist...etwas geschehen? ("Has something happened?" in American-accented German)
:cop: *without looking up* Routine.

He gave my passport back and I returned to watching Top Gear on my laptop. I thought it was Schengen all up in here, so I was definitely confused.

Something similar happend to me and group of friends when we went by train from Italy to München. We shared the compartment with a german guy who was black.
The border police could barley be bothered to open my Swedish passport, but when it came to the german guy he was asked a load of questions about him, where he was from, where he was going, even though he had a german passport.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm glad that the one time I went to Munich it was with Berlinienbus, since I didn't get asked for my passport crossing the border from Thuringia.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

computer parts posted:

Top one: Number of fires in a region.

Bottom one: Number of acres burned in a region. (or acres/fire rather)

I was wondering what what going on with Alaska, because that is a massive area to burn, and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Alaska_fire_season

In 2004, 6.6 million acres burned, an area roughly equal to Massachusetts.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Countries by top export.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mu Cow posted:

Countries by top export.

Thank god we opened Afghanistan up to free trade.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ghana is blank for some reason, and Somalia has been partitioned.

I'm very surprised that India's top export is precious stones.

Neat map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wood products in Burma, I'm not surprised.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
So is New Zealand's primary export Anchor butter?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Count Roland posted:

Ghana is blank for some reason, and Somalia has been partitioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somaliland

It's also on the National Geographic world map so it clearly must be universally recognized.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Huh, I didn't know Palestine was famous for its strawberries.

Count Roland posted:

Ghana is blank for some reason,

It's got the color for oil and natural gas, so I assume it's something along those lines.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
What is Macedonie/Fyrom exporting ?
The font is too small.

Same with Armenia.
Pig Iron ?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

skipThings posted:

The font is too small.
Tobacco.

skipThings posted:

Same with Armenia.
Pig Iron ?
Yes, Pig Iron.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skipThings posted:

The font is too small.

Same with Armenia.
Pig Iron ?

This page has closeups on all the regions that are hard to read.

I wonder what the "wood products" that support the Burmese and Laotian economies are.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Albania is two of some sort clothing/textile products, but I can't read that one.

^^^Edit: Oh, there we go.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Pakled posted:

This page has closeups on all the regions that are hard to read.

I wonder what the "wood products" that support the Burmese and Laotian economies are.

Thank you

quote:

Peaceful Anarchy

First I thought you were being condescending, then I looked at the map, it really did say Pig Iron and then I had to look up what that was, boy do I feel silly! :downs:

Also, drat, is Belgium completly propped up by deBeers or what is going on ?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

skipThings posted:

First I thought you were being condescending, then I looked at the map, it really did say Pig Iron and then I had to look up what that was, boy do I feel silly! :downs:
Yeah, I should have posted the wiki link. I had to look it up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

skipThings posted:

Also, drat, is Belgium completly propped up by deBeers or what is going on ?
If only we started buying synthetic diamonds, we could finally crush Belgium once and for all!