Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Small and Blue posted:

If this happens to you it's probably because the host has already killed the boss and still summoned shades to help them through the area for some bizarre reason.

Oh, is that what it is? I noticed this happening when I tried to summon someone at the Smelter Demon door to help me past the rest of Iron Keep and the fog door reappeared. I just didn't make the connection until now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Small and Blue posted:

If this happens to you it's probably because the host has already killed the boss and still summoned shades to help them through the area for some bizarre reason.

This happens a bunch if you're helping with the double Dragonriders, for a while nearly every other host would summon me at the door, go through the fog and I'd be dumped home saying they'd left the zone, jerks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

That would not affect BoB ranks in the slightest. You do not gain souls in the Arena, and red orb invasions do not count for rank ups.

Wait red orb invasions don't count period? Yeesh that's so dumb. I don't get why they turned the invasion covenant into the gently caress around in the arena covenant.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I must have killed the shadows in the Flexile Sentry fight 100 times, maybe closer to 200, and I still don't have the drat gauntlets. They just keep dropping tops and daggers. At least drop another malformed claw so I can have two, I don't need five daggers and sixteen shirts.

Is there some trick to the bullshit reflect thing they so that I've managed to not figure out after all of this time or is it just a random ring of thorns effect?

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!
I just got invaded by a red phantom in belfry luna, ritten or ritter i think was his name, he didn't attack me, only roamed around and killed every gray spirit (6 guys) that invaded me. After that he gave me 11 human effigy and suicided. Thanks buddy!

Edit: Holy poo poo, how many souls was his suicide worth cause i just jumped to 300k+ from like 15k

Whix fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 15, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait red orb invasions don't count period? Yeesh that's so dumb. I don't get why they turned the invasion covenant into the gently caress around in the arena covenant.

Because the no-fun-nicks whined about getting invaded in the first one so they engineered around darkwraithing so it's still technically possible but why bother :mad:

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Because the no-fun-nicks whined about getting invaded in the first one so they engineered around darkwraithing so it's still technically possible but why bother :mad:

I wouldn't even say it's technically possible in NG at this point. The arena is COMPLETELY dead.

All I want is an infinite invasion item in NG. If the alternative to low level twinking is literally no invasions, twinking wins by a loving mile. I would seriously like to know what they were thinking with this whole mess.

This really doesn't make any sense, especially with the existence of the blue covenant. Which I suppose was also meant to help with the twinking problem, but SM fucks that up so I don't even know. Totally bizarre.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

That would not affect BoB ranks in the slightest. You do not gain souls in the Arena, and red orb invasions do not count for rank ups.

Internet Kraken posted:

Killing a host doesn't rank up when you invade, but killing bluecops does. :eng101:

They really designed BoB and Bluecops to be a Civil War for the ages. But then they made the mechanics way too unreliable for a real constant conflict to happen. They really need to make it so that members of the Bluecops also summon Bluecops when invaded, and then we'll see some real action happening.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Internet Kraken posted:

What i thought was wrong, the wikia changed. Yeah, why the hell is this?

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 15, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Whix posted:

I just got invaded by a red phantom in belfry luna, ritten or ritter i think was his name, he didn't attack me, only roamed around and killed every gray spirit (6 guys) that invaded me. After that he gave me 11 human effigy and suicided. Thanks buddy!

Edit: Holy poo poo, how many souls was his suicide worth cause i just jumped to 300k+ from like 15k

300k would put him around SL 400-500, so that sounds like a hacker.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Small and Blue posted:

I've been guilty of doing this on occasion as a way to quickly kill the Sublime Dust guy on a brand new character before I aescetic the fire to get a double-dose of dragonrider souls. Sorry about that shadebros.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lemonpieman posted:

All I want is an infinite invasion item in NG. If the alternative to low level twinking is literally no invasions, twinking wins by a loving mile. I would seriously like to know what they were thinking with this whole mess.

This. I know I'm in a strange minority, but I never liked pvp in DS1 enough to join the darkwraith but loved getting invaded, even by twinks. In DS2 I have in the course of 110 hours only been invaded twice in NG. I have done a fair amount of bellbroing over the last couple of days and it has been really fun on a str/fth char using blacksmiths hammer, as it got higher damage than the mace when your strength is only in the mid 20s.

over around 100 invasions, I have not met any hackers (I know it's a low sample size), but some fun semi twinks who had cleared out the tower and was clearly waiting to get invaded. I lost most of those fights, but they were still fun fights. I have been pvp'ing on a low enough sm to avoid most hex users and the few I met have either been terrible or killed me near instantly :)

All in all, I regret I didn't do more pvp in DS1 and will probably have a couple of chars were I keep to SM low for pvp in this. I do hope they change SM to only count souls spend and hopefully lower the amount of tiers. Really after around 1.5 - 2M Souls spend, there really shouldn't be more tiers. You can have a couple of +10 weapons and most spells by then.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

The Gorp posted:

They do count, they are just seperate tallies.
In other words you need 50 positive invasion score of 50 positive arena score to level up.

The sad thing is that yes, the arena is easier.

Apparently only thing that counts about invasions is killing blue sentinels sent to protect the invaded target. The killing the invaded target does not count toward anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Doesn't company of champions make you more likely to be invaded?

Balls to the wall, goons :black101:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't company of champions make you more likely to be invaded?

Balls to the wall, goons :black101:

On paper. I've played through almost the entire game on a CoC character, and only been invaded once.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ironically it's been my experience that the best way to get invaded is to be an invader. I've put over 120 hours into NG characters so far, and in that time I've had exactly two dark spirits come after me. But on my BoB pvper who is drenched in sin I've have six or seven sentinels come at me via crack blue eye orbs.

Still a poo poo occurrence rate though, no doubt about that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Broken Cog posted:

300k would put him around SL 400-500, so that sounds like a hacker.

Killing a Belfry Sol gray phantom got me 95k souls. :getin:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
You get invaded more as a CoC member, but blue sents can only rescue baby blue covenant.
Did they think any of this through at all?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

The Gorp posted:

You get invaded more as a CoC member, but blue sents can only rescue baby blue covenant.

...and? What's the problem there?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

StashAugustine posted:

Postin cause if I have to have nightmares so does everyone else.

Nightmares? That guy looks just so drat thrilled to turn you into stone. Like a big toothy puppy.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Apparently they overestimated the desire for pvp for pvps sake, with no realistic prospect of in-game reward. As it is now, a full 4 covenants are rendered pointless by the the lack of red invaders. Which could be so easily fixed it's just aggravating.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Magus42 posted:

...and? What's the problem there?

It inherently makes blue sentinels difficult, the vast majority of invasions cannot be assisted with.
Similarly baby blue covenant seems to be pointless if they hardly ever get invaded.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Do items in chests never respawn when you use an Ascetic? I've used two thus far, at the first bonfires in Forest of Fallen Giants and Lost Bastille, and the respective chests in those areas (Fire Longsword and Estus Flask Shard) stayed empty. But, that could be because they're associated with separate bonfires.

Basically, I want to know because I'd like to use dual shotels, there's just the one in the chest at the start of Black Gulch.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Mazed posted:

Do items in chests never respawn when you use an Ascetic? I've used two thus far, at the first bonfires in Forest of Fallen Giants and Lost Bastille, and the respective chests in those areas (Fire Longsword and Estus Flask Shard) stayed empty. But, that could be because they're associated with separate bonfires.

Basically, I want to know because I'd like to use dual shotels, there's just the one in the chest at the start of Black Gulch.

Metal chests wont respawn but wooden ones do.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

immortal flow posted:

Apparently they overestimated the desire for pvp for pvps sake, with no realistic prospect of in-game reward. As it is now, a full 4 covenants are rendered pointless by the the lack of red invaders. Which could be so easily fixed it's just aggravating.

Well, it kinda helps that they made it weirdly difficult to get cracked red eye orbs in NG.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mazed posted:

The petrifying rat-men outside Aldia's Keep randomly drop Shotels (in addition to Black Knight weaponry and Affinity scrolls :psyduck:).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I really, really love Dragon Shrine but hate the Ancient Dragon being the shittiest boss fight in the game. I didn't want to let that ruin the area though, so I found a way to make clearing it feel satisfying. I just treat the gauntlet of soldiers guarding the dragon as the actual boss fight. Rather than running past them I fight them all on the bloodstained steps. I put on the Ash Lake theme and it was actually pretty satisfying, and it helped me treat the Ancient Dragon itself just as an NPC rather than a terrible optional boss!

...I guess I'm grasping at straws, but up until the dragon itself I love this area so much. It just looks incredible.

Lemonpieman posted:

I wouldn't even say it's technically possible in NG at this point. The arena is COMPLETELY dead.

My SM 750k dickwraith gets consistent fights in the arena. Usually doesn't take more than 20 seconds or so to find one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

King of Solomon posted:

Well, it kinda helps that they made it weirdly difficult to get cracked red eye orbs in NG.

Yeah, the hassle of getting cracked red eyes has 10x more to do with the low invasions rates than any "lack of reward". This isn't a loving MMO where people flip out and declare an activity worthless if their spreadsheet calculations reveal it offers 3% less renown points over a five hour period compared to something else. For most players the reward is killing somebody.

Making cracked red eyes easier to get would do much, much more to get people invading then attaching some arbitrary reward (although successful invasions not counting towards your covenant rank is horseshit). They should have just made the blood ring put you in a queue for the arena so you could adventure while waiting instead of sitting there like an idiot. Also they should probably give the loser a cracked red eye and the winner gets two.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

For most players the reward is killing somebody.

Believe it or not, but lots of people I've talked to about invading don't like killing other players and only want to do it if there's a tangible reward, ala Humanity payouts. :psyduck: I'm glad Gren reflects this and flat out tells you it's only for the fun of murder :v:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, if you're looking for payouts that's what the Bellfry is for.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
On the 360 it costs 5 bucks to change your username, so you don't see a lot of gimmick characters. The PC is another matter, leading some of us to develop quite a problem:

I'd like to salute some of the best and worst ideas I've seen in my travels.

First, AXES AXES AXES ran into a man who needs no introduction, followed by one famous FOR his introductions:

These jovial fellows can be found, respectively, being incompetent at FoFG and tanking the crap out of the Lost Sinner. Just don't get too close to either of them.

While ANGRY OLD MAN is running the moral spectrum, before finding the perfect buddy...

Donatello just can't find anyone nice.

Turns out Old Ben was right about this team up getting him into trouble!

Finally, I think this pretty well encompasses the two most common themes I see on the PC:

What I am saying is, as long as your gimmick build can actually help with the zone or boss, keep at it. Some of us really enjoy your effort, or at least your spirit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flytrap posted:

Yeah, if you're looking for payouts that's what the Bellfry is for.

Which is also why the Bellfry areas are a hundred times more active as well, I suppose.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

King of Solomon posted:

Man, I have a bunch of these. If someone needs them, I can trade them away, right?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Internet Kraken posted:

So I really, really love Dragon Shrine but hate the Ancient Dragon being the shittiest boss fight in the game. I didn't want to let that ruin the area though, so I found a way to make clearing it feel satisfying. I just treat the gauntlet of soldiers guarding the dragon as the actual boss fight. Rather than running past them I fight them all on the bloodstained steps. I put on the Ash Lake theme and it was actually pretty satisfying, and it helped me treat the Ancient Dragon itself just as an NPC rather than a terrible optional boss!

...I guess I'm grasping at straws, but up until the dragon itself I love this area so much. It just looks incredible.

It really is a fantastic-feeling area. They really sell the feeling that you've reached the very ends of the earth.

Also, as an optional boss, the Ancient Dragon feels considerably less compulsory than, say, Vendrick. By leaving it alone, you're not missing any kind of story closure or worthwhile content.

As for Vendrick himself, he is quite doable with only four Giant Souls.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Last weekend on PC I saw somebody running around as "The Monarch," wearing Butterfly gear, using Avelyn. He had a little red goatee and everything. It was excellent.

PC version using character name as multiplayer name is the best.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Which is also why the Bellfry areas are a hundred times more active as well, I suppose.

I sometimes get summon-locked as a Bellbro. By which I mean I'll finish a fight, and then get summoned again before I can take off my ring.

Or Hell, even before I finish loading into my own world.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Broken Cog posted:

Wrong. If that was the case then there would be a hundred bellbros for every intruder inside and they would be slow for people in the covenant. People walk into the belltowers online because they are happy to have a good fight, they don't get any reward for it at all. If an intruder got a chunk for killing a bellbro then your statement might make some sense, but they don't.

The belltowers are active because it's easy to get PvP in there, not because of rewards that only one side is eligible for. All the bellbro has to do is put on his ring, and all the intruder has to do is set foot in the area. It's easy, so the place is active.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

BoB & Blue Sentinels are fundamentally hosed to progress in. It makes no sense that the invader covenant progresses by dueling, and the honorable justice covenant would progress by invading. Now that PVP finally functions it makes little sense and is full of people using the same stuff. It was never this bad in either of the other Souls games.

Here is a bingo card of things that almost everybody uses some combination of:
  • Monastery Scimitar
  • Santier's Spear (Resonant Weapon)
  • Chaos Blade (Resonant Weapon)
  • Avelyn (2x Mundane)
  • Bat Staff (Dark Fog)
  • Gower's Ring of Protection
  • Jester's Robe
  • Havel's Set

I don't get why they took the emphasis and convenience out of invading and loving with people in this one. That was the drawing feature of the series and it's been replaced by a bunch of bowing babies engaging in honorable samurai combat on the computer video game. I hate you from software !!!! I hate you I am going to make you pay !! You should call yourselves From Bad Software more like that is what would be appropriate since you like to put stuff in the video game that is bad!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's annoying to me is that by doing all these terrible things to the darkwraith covenant makes the red soapstone the most effective (albeit useless for ranking) form of invasion. That, combined with how late in the game you get the dragon covenant, really steps on its toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Since we're all bitching about PvP let me ask.
Why is the average player level (pvp level) 150? At that point all builds become the same due to diminishing returns. There's no variation like in DS1.