Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Odd derail but every Brit should feel personal shame for not having a commissioned Ark Royal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

indie

fat

eeeeee

gabble

:confused:

you're proving his point

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

indie

fat

eeeeee

gabble

:confused:

Great, now I've got that loving Monty Python song stuck in my head.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Terrible Robot posted:

Great, now I've got that loving Monty Python song stuck in my head.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

I agree but it's bloody hard to pronounce. What's wrong with calling her Tireless?

Ship names are supposed to be badass. Tireless is dumb.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowdens Secret posted:

Odd derail but every Brit should feel personal shame for not having a commissioned Ark Royal

We don't have an Enterprise, currently, which is equally shameful.

(I know shes still technically in commission, but shes already been cut on:)

:smith:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Indeed. Even more so as now, since the last Ark Royal was decommissioned, our flagship is a loving TROOP SHIP.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MrYenko posted:

She'll be back. The third Ford-class will be named Enterprise.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Brovine posted:

Indeed. Even more so as now, since the last Ark Royal was decommissioned, our flagship is a loving TROOP SHIP.

Albion class isn't really a 'troop ship' per se, it's an amphibious landing dock, sure it carries some marines, but it's primary role is that of being a floating thing to prepare on (it doesn't have it's own helicopters, but has 2 landing pads that can be used, for example).

e: also, Ocean would have been a better choice for flagship, while it's a light (helicopter) carrier, it's still a carrier

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 15, 2014

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

SybilVimes posted:

Albion class isn't really a 'troop ship' per se, it's an amphibious landing dock, sure it carries some marines, but it's primary role is that of being a floating thing to prepare on (it doesn't have it's own helicopters, but has 2 landing pads that can be used, for example).

e: also, Ocean would have been a better choice for flagship, while it's a light (helicopter) carrier, it's still a carrier

Ocean would be acceptable. Failing that, one of the new destroyers. I know Albion's more than a simple troop ship, but it's not really a warship. Its only offensive capability is the four hundred embarked Royal Marines.

Which is a fairly significant force, I suppose.

(We seem to have drifted away a bit from aircraft.)

On a more plane related note, I get to be one of the first dozen or so people to see two of our shiny new planes at the end of this month (not including the manufacturer). Which is kinda cool, even if they're more E-jets.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
This is what happens when Boeing's paint hangar breaks:

LN1499 from the top by Powercube, on Flickr

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Fly it, fly it just like that. :swoon:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Powercube posted:

This is what happens when Boeing's paint hangar breaks:

LN1499 from the top by Powercube, on Flickr

Wasn't that supposed to be Air China 747-8 #1?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Some really sick flying by VSP on this water rescue:

http://wtvr.com/2014/05/14/james-river-rescue/

Can't do a winch job? Just find an EC-145 sized sandbar!

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

StandardVC10 posted:

Wasn't that supposed to be Air China 747-8 #1?

It will be that, eventually, they just have to fix the paint shop.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Can we talk about drone stuff? Lets talk about drone stuff.

I spent the beginning of this week at the AUVSI unmanned systems trade show in Orlando. It was huge and pretty fun. My company is a tiny IT company and our state department of commerce invited us and some others to send some people along with their team, hopefully to learn some poo poo and start doing things with drones particularly in agriculture here. But enough of that here are some lovely pictures (full size album here)

Last night was their big mixer, and Northrop-Grumman shut down Universal Studios and gave us all free rides, booze, and food. It was pretty sweet.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Rough day in Miami

KMIA 151831Z VRB06KT 7SM +FC TS SCT015CB BKN035 BKN080 BKN300 26/24 A2998 RMK TORNADO B29 3 MILES WEST MOV NE AO2 RAE28 OCNL LTGIC W-NW TS W-NW MOV NE P0008 T02610239

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aero737 posted:

Rough day in Miami

KMIA 151831Z VRB06KT 7SM +FC TS SCT015CB BKN035 BKN080 BKN300 26/24 A2998 RMK TORNADO B29 3 MILES WEST MOV NE AO2 RAE28 OCNL LTGIC W-NW TS W-NW MOV NE P0008 T02610239

I always wonder about the remarks for tornado and funnel cloud. Like, you're going along reading the METAR thinking "ugh, thats miserable... but funnel cloud? TORNADO?!"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
JetBlue wants you to know that yes, indeed they do have wifi

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yes, but what does it all mean?!? :tinfoil:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Take the blue plane, Neo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
After a while it's all just blonde, brunette, redhead

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I think I saw a 2.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
Chem trails were bad enough, now they are broadcasting the wifi radiations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Postal posted:

aaaaaand that's why US ships have poo poo names. HMS Dreadnought sounds much better than HMS Isn't-affraid-of-anything

Is... is that what dreadnought means? TIL, goddamn.

Duke Chin posted:

Yes, but what does it all mean?!? :tinfoil:

"CONNECTED TO 01000010 01001100 01010101 01000101", aka "Connected to blue". The press release says Jetblue just had "A record 136 devices connected on one flight." I wonder if that was my flight SEA > BOS for PAX East, it was definitely a high concentration of nerds on that flight. So many that the wifi couldn't handle the load.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

After a while it's all just blonde, brunette, redhead

What's really going to bake your noodle later on is realizing that Neo sees the opposite. 747, A380, it's all just code to him.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/avro-rj85-passenger-terror-plane-wing-falls-off-153218880.html

Can anyone tell what actually happened here?
It seems unlikely that they would have made a regular landing if the wing fell off

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Welp, looks like it's a good thing I was on early shift yesterday...

That picture is just a flap track fairing. On many planes you can quite happily fly around with them removed, it's just drag improvement rather than a vital component. Given the shape of the RJs, even if it had come loose entirely there's nothing in line behind it to get hit, so pretty much minimal safety risk I'd say.

Nevertheless, they shouldn't be falling off in flight.

I'll have to pop over and chat to their engineers when I'm back at work next week, just to be nosy.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqmYWzu3Og
You can see the fairing here, and the mechanism it covers. The rods dangling are the mechanical links that move the fairing down/backwards as the flaps are extended. You can also see damage to the aft upper edge of the fairing. To my inexpert eye it looks like the linkages have detached and then the fairing has dropped at the back, hitting the flap track itself on the way past. These fairings tend to be thin, lightweight fibreglass from the ones I've handled on other aircraft.

Brovine fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 16, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Preoptopus posted:

JetBlue wants you to know that yes, indeed they do have wifi

That looks like a pretty bad wifi leak, it's spraying out and getting all over the tail.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That looks like a pretty bad wifi leak, it's spraying out and getting all over the tail.

That's what happens when you leave the cap off the end of a databus.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It's those bad packets in red that I'm concerned about. Seems a few too many of them. And they're all 0s

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

freelop posted:

https://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/avro-rj85-passenger-terror-plane-wing-falls-off-153218880.html

Can anyone tell what actually happened here?
It seems unlikely that they would have made a regular landing if the wing fell off

Ladies and gentleman another fine, fine example of headline author being completely different from author-of-article. :jerkbag:

God I hate the media.
self loathing :emo:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You don't worry about it until the wifi stops leaking

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I can't imagine how this hasn't been posted here already (if it has I'm sorry, but it's worth seeing again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Niven posted:

I can't imagine how this hasn't been posted here already (if it has I'm sorry, but it's worth seeing again)

:stare: Holy loving poo poo.

It's not until like the third camera angle that you get what happened. Good lord.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Chemtrails are a myth. We should worry about these wifi trails, giving kids the angry bird syndrome at school. Won't someone please think of the children?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You can't trust an aircraft that doesn't leak.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

She hasn't been whole since they cut off her glorious beehive.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Niven posted:

Yeah this is like, what, 4 months old? Covered extensively back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wombot posted:

Is... is that what dreadnought means? TIL, goddamn.

When Jackie Fisher, the First Sea Lord (Which you have to admit is a much better title than Chief of naval operations) responsible for the creation of the dreadnought class battleships was made an Baron he had to take a motto. A traditional thing, think Game of thrones "We do not sow, Winter is coming" etc. He chose "Fear God and Dread Nought" as his official motto.