Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XIII, Week 7: Man vs. Nature vs. Fate in a Triple-Threat Match

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

W'S RETAKE HARDCORE AND TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH 10-4 DRUBBING

In your brain!- The Pharmas were dancing along a razor's edge, which, while exciting, is not a great long-term strategy.

In the final week of Super-League XII, the Pharmas had picked up the Hardcore and Television Championships thanks mainly to the W's resting players for the playoffs. The Pharmas, their starters still in the lineup, managed to complete the sweep and run off with the titles.

But, at heart, the Pharmas were still something of a marginal Super-League team. They barely survived getting sent to the Sub-Par League this season, and currently have the worst record in the Smasher League, worse even than the expansion Crows and Knights. The fact that the managed to hold on to their titles for this long is nothing short of amazing. They managed to hold on to their title against the Bangers, the Symphony, and even the W's in a previous series, all three likely division winners this season.

Of course, the dream ride couldn't last forever and, today, the W's finally reclaimed their titles, easily downing the Pharmas 10-4 as the W's offense diced up Robin Roberts and the Pharmas' bullpen. The W's took a quick lead, scoring six runs in the first three innings, and then simply held on as the Pharmas fruitlessly attempted a comeback.

After the game, ForeverBWFC celebrated his team's return to glory, "It'll be nice to get these belts back in the trophy case in Bolton." He said, hefting the twin titles, "It's funnym really, but over the past few seasons, this team has really picked. I remember a time when the W's couldn't do anything right. We were falling into the Gauntlet, getting our heads beaten in by the Cultists and Rakers, and, let me tell you, there's nothing more humiliating than losing to an Australian. Still, over these past few seasons, the W's have really come together. We made the Super-League Finals two seasons ago, won the Norris-Smythe Division last year and we seem rather likely to win it again this year. And I am glad, because if this team broke, I am not sure that I have the competence to fix it. But, of course, unless some new challenger appears out of the ether, I suppose my only real competitor for the foreseeable future is the Rakers, and they're in the same boat. Oh, I'm sorry, these comments have been dreadfully boring, but not every game can be some sort of series of wacky hi-jinks. No, occasionally there's just an island of normality within the maelstrom."

FairGame was not happy about losing his titles, "As the Super-League Ombudsman, I am saddened to have to issue yet another negative report about Smasher Dynamo's conduct. It is clear to anyone who understand baseball that the Fhloston Pharmas would never, ever, ever lose to the W's. That a brilliant, well-educated Cardinals fan, who, by definition, is one of the best fans in baseball, would lose so often to a drunken Englishman in baseball is simply insane. It does not reflect the realistic nature of the Super-League, and it should be corrected immediately." FairGame's composed facade seemed to break down at that point, "Smasher Dynamo should, right now, issue an order saying that the W's have to give me back my titles! I want my titles bakc, Smasher, I want them back! This is bullshit! I'm a Cardinals fan! I deserve better! I put up with all of this bullshit, and I want what I deserve, as is my birthright as a Cardinals fan, to win. When is it my turn, Smasher, when?"

GAME NOTES

-The RNG God is still a work in process. It took me years to get the MACHINE working right. Just ask GVOLTT how well the earlier iterations of the MACHINE worked out. Granted, his team was based in Hartford, and so was utterly, utterly doomed. Still, RNG God will get there eventually. And if not, the W's have a huge lead in their division anyway.

-The Pharmas made three errors. Of the three, the McCovey and Burgess errors were brutally predictable. McCovey, for all of his talents, simply does not have the skills to play left field, and Burgess was one of the fattest men to ever play catcher, and only stayed in the league as long as he did because he was a very good hitter. Even then, he spent most of the back half of his career as a pinch-hitter. It would be unfair to call him the rich man's Lenny Harris, but it's not miles away in a certain sense. Well, maybe it is.

Box Score

Don May posted:

SYMPHONY BEAT BANGERS 6-5 IN INCREDIBLY PREDICTABLE FASHION

Scranton- It was the only it could have ended.

The Bangers, leviathan though they are, have two glaring weaknesses which, in a certain sense, make them all the more implacable. Their bullpen constantly blows games, and their team defense has typically ranged between the pathetic and the absurd. And yet, despite those flaws, despite these giant holes in the team that should sink them, the Bangers roll on, seemingly immune to these frailties which would bury other teams. Their power is such that they transcend the normal order of things, and withstand those fatal flaws that no other team could.

That said, they are not invincible, only seemingly so.

In the ninth inning, up 5-3, Marauder sent Rollie Fingers into the game, as is his custom. Much like a chain smoker, Marauder realized the risks, but could not help himself. Kal Daniels, living example of mrnoun's own self-destructive tendencies came to the plate to lead off the inning and struck out on three pitches. But things went downhill for Fingers from there, as Killebrew walked, and after a Vern Stephens strikeout, the Symphony strung together two straight hits to tie the game and force extra innings.

Mike Marshall quickly retired the side in the top of the tenth, allowing the Symphony a chance to win the game with one more run. Marauder, unable to contain his vices, sent Rollie Fingers back out for another inning. A Reggie Smith led off with a single, but that was followed with another Reggie Smith striking out. Still, that brought up the lethal Josh Gibson to the plate, and with a runner on first base, Marauder would not order Rollie Fingers to intentionally walk him, not even with Kal Daniels on deck, as putting the go-ahead run into scoring position with just one out was too much of a stretch, even with Gibson's greatness and Daniels' lack thereof. Josh Gibson, given a chance, knocked a ball into right field for a single that had the additional benefit of moving one of the Reggie Smiths to third base.

Still, it wasn't all bad news. The Bangers hadn't yet given up the game-winning run, and Kal Daniels was now at the plate. Josh Gibson, great a hitter as he was, was not a particularly fast runner, so a double play was possible. The only problem with the plan was that, as a left-handed hitter, Daniels was more likely to hit a ball to the second baseman rather than the shortstop, which would force a slightly more difficult 4-6-3 double play. In fact, Daniels did hit a grounder right at Joe Morgan, who cleanly fielded the ball and threw it to Lou Boudreau. But Boudreau was just inches out of position, and mishandled the transfer, allowing Gibson to reach second safely, and, with a Reggie Smith running home on the play, making any further play moot.

Marauder was still Marauder after the game, "We have had this discussion before, I see no need to have it again. No matter the cost, Rollie Fingers will remain my closer. As for why? Like many men, the events of my own childhood still resonate deep within me, for good or ill. Many of you are too young to remember 1993. Some of you may not have even been born at the time. But let me tell you about 1993. It was a very different time. The Braves had that amazing rotation. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery. Oh, do you remember when Steve Avery was going to be the fourth horseman in that rotation? In 1993, Avery was better than Glavine, better than Smoltz. Not quite as good as Maddux, but who was? It was a rotation of unfathomable greatness, it was a rotation that would ensure that the Phillies would not win a division championship for a decade. But not in 1993, because in 1993, the Braves were still safely quarantined in the NL West, a division away from the Fightin' Phils."

"And that was key, because the NL East, for that one year, was wide open. The Pirates had ruled it with an iron fist for three years, but they had lost Bonds and Drabek, and were no longer of any concern. The Expos, oh yes, you will still hear people crowing about the greatness of the 1994 Expos now, that they could have won the World Series, that they could have saved baseball in Montreal. The first claim is questionable, as the playoffs are a crapshoot, and the second laughable, as Montreal was doomed as a market the second they built that concrete tomb for the Olympics. Either way, in 1993, they were a Pedro Martinez and a year from being true contenders. That left an opening for any team to make the playoffs. Even the Phillies.

"Now, you have to understand, the Phillies had not been a good team in some time. They had reached the World Series in 1983 with a team full of aged veterans. Pete Rose and Joe Morgan and Steve Carlton. Fine players all, but old players as well. It was the last gasp of the Mike Schmidt quasi-dynasty. By 1993, the Phillies were a team composed of off-brand parts. John Kruk, a man so bloated that he retired three years later because, in his own words, he thought he'd have more fun eating a Sizzler than playing baseball. There was Darren Daulton, who might have legitimately been insane. Lenny Dykstra was a scumbag and a criminal, but he was our scumbag. Curt Schilling, then just a young rear end in a top hat, was our ace. Those were the best players we had, and that was not enough. But for this one season, everything came together. Tommy Greene, for this one season only, was a great pitcher. Kevin Stocker seemed like he might actually be a serviceable major league short stop! Jim Eisenreich held his Tourette's in control for most of the season and Pete Incaviglia did his very best Dave Kingman impression. Everything clicked and the Phillies won the division! And then we beat the Braves although, as history would prove, beating Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz in the postseason was not exactly a difficult proposition. And then we ran into the Blue Jays, and all of our illusory greatness melted away in the face of their actual talent. Eccentricity would only take us so far. Mitch Williams was our closer, and that was one step too far for that team. One wildcard too many, and we paid for it dearly.

"And while I am not one to be overly sentimental, I would not, as mrnoun seems keen to do, assemble an underpowered lineup for the sake of quirkiness, but Fingers I must keep, for is a symbol of the same sort of strangeness as the 1993 Phillies. Underpowered, overrated, with questionable hair choices. Yes, he is as close as I am willing to get to that team. Frankly, you didn't need to read any of that. All you need to know is this: Terry Mulholland is a great man."

GAME NOTES

-Kal Daniels is now the leading cause of depression in America. Psychologists warn that simply watching him play causes a 60% increase in suicidal ideation. If you are having thoughts of suicide because of Kal Daniels, please see a doctor immediately.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ANOTHER FINGERS MELTDOWN, LOSERS BEAT TORNADOS 7-5

Rockford- Rollie Fingers is terrible no matter which version of it was.

The Tornados had a 5-2 lead, and all they had to do was get three outs to get a win over the gimpy, but still dangerous, Rockford Losers.

And, in fairness, it started off well enough, as, with two outs in the inning, Fingers had managed to mostly contain the Losers' offense. There were runners on first and third, but with two outs and the pitcher's spot due up, things could have been a lot worse. Facing defeat, Humungus sent Tony Oliva, his longest-serving bench player, to the plate as a pinch-hitter, and Oliva delivered, hitting an RBI single.

Still, it was now only 5-3, and the Tornados still need just one more out. Tris Speaker was next, and he would not give it to them, instead hitting another RBI single to make it 5-4. Now things were starting to get a bit more concerning for the Tornados, but they would still win with just one more out. Joe Cronin now came to the plate, and Rollie Fingers battled him hard, reaching a full count. The bases weren't loaded but, considering the circumstances, Fingers must have felt that he couldn't let Cronin get away with a walk. Which is fine in theory, but when Cronin slammed a three-run homer to give the Losers a win, one did have to wonder whether it was the right decision.

After the game, Humungus, whose Losers have been good this season, but hardly dominant, nonetheless threatened destruction to his opponents, "UltimoDragonQuest, your time has come! No longer will I bear your Tornados impeding my path back to the Super-League Finals. I give you this chance, UltimoDragonQuest, walk away from the Super-League. Walk away from the league and return to your world of colorfully-masked Luchadors and dragon-winged indy wrestlers. Live a life of joy and contentment. Do not force me to spill your lifeblood in combat. There need be no horror, no nightmarish end. You have seen what I have done to other owners who crossed me. Beet remains a cyclops. Warm Sarsaparilla clings to his imaginary god, knowing that only such a celestial being could protect him from my wrath, oldskool has realized that fighting me is futile, and is now my loyal vassal. There is no way out for you, UltimoDragonQuest, except surrender. I beg you, please, for your own sake, surrender to me now."

Humungus was then informed that UltimoDragonQuest had, in fact, surrendered, albeit not as the result of Humungus' threats, and that control of the Tornados had passed to CFBalla. Humungus modified his comments accordingly, "CFBalla, I do not know who you are or where you come from. They tell me that you emerged during my latest absense, and that you were in charge of a middling team known as the Kernels. CFBalla, you do not know me. You have not seen what I am capable of. The mayhem, the horror, you are innocent of these nightmares, CFBalla. I would like you to remain so. Do not force me to educate you in the rudiments of violence. Think of your family, CFBalla, think of what they will lose if you remain in this league. Even should I let you live, you would not come back to them the same man you were. Go to them, be with them, leave this league behind before it is too late for you."

King Kelly, newly-minted captain of the Cancun Tornados, accompanied CFBalla to the post-game press conference, where the new Tornados owner responded to the comments, "Well, sir, this Mr. Humungus makes some strong arguments. You know, I am a family man, and although I've had some family troubles lately, I'd hate to lose them. But, I think we're a resilient family. Just last week, when my daughter came home, her brain transplanted into a robot body after that thresher accident, I-"

Kelly interrupted, "Wait, is the daughter that became a Canadian werewolf, or the daughter that was a super-soldier eco-terrorist? How many daughters do you have?"

"Seven!" CFBalla proudly responded, "Well, seven that I know of. You see, when I was a young man, well, how to put it delicately, I really liked to sow my wild...kernels, if you will, and, it just so happened that one woman I slept with was a witch, they're pretty common in South Dakota, actually, anyway, she cursed me to have only daughters, and that they would suffer greatly for my sins. Which seemed a bit unfair, if you ask me, but I guess that's what you get for not calling a woman after you sleep with her."

Concerned, Kelly responded, "That's...really something, Charles. They sound like a handful, I guess."

"They sure are. Point is, since they're already cursed by virtue of their birth, I feel like we've hit something of an ontological roadblock, Mr. Humungus, in that, it seems to me like any violence you would visit upon them would be part of that there curse to suffer, and therefore kind of out of my hands." CFBalla reasoned.

"Charles, I'm not entirely sure that it's wise to take the line of argument against Humungus. He kind of tends to kill things. A lot. And, I'm not sure tacitly daring him to visit violence upon your daughters is a great idea. Although, if I'm being honest, I feel like everything you say is a lie, so I guess it doesn't matter." Only now did King Kelly realize that, for all of UltimoDragonQuest's loathing, having a marginally sane team owner was no longer something he could take for granted.

"Nah, it'll be fine. It's just like they say in Mitchell, 'Kill them all, the lord will know his own." CFBalla responded, grinning broadly.

GAME NOTES

-The Losers had a mediocre 2/8 BB/K ratio. That may play against the Tornados, who are not nearly as deadly without Ted Williams, but it's not going to be enough to get them by the Coburns.

-Only one of the Tornados' runs were earned as the Tornados remains stalled without Williams, despite the best efforts of John McGraw and Tris Speaker.

-It was only 47 degrees in Rockford today, but, then again, it's always cold in Rockford. Cold and dark.

Box Score

Don May posted:

PROTECTORS LOSE TO LLAMAS, EVERYTHING TERRIBLE AND AWFUL

Detroit- There has been an ongoing policy to not bring any more misery than is strictly necessary to the Detroit Protectors.

For that reason, none of their games, up until now, have been featured in a game of the week, as the vast majority of their games have been dispiriting losses seemingly caused by a unknowable and unfair forces that seem to take some sort of delight in torturing the Protectors. In a just world, at the very least, the Protectors would have been able to keep their position in the Super-League by simply overpowering the Dinos who, despite their hot start, are not a particularly talented team.

But, per league rule, every team must be featured in a game of the week eventually, and so today's game must be recapped.

The Protectors played well for the first eight innings, at least, by the standards of this season. They scored three runs, and allowed three. That was good enough for a tie and, against the cellar-dwelling Llamas, it just might be enough to get the win. After all, in Detroit, the Llamas were shorn of their precious Dinger Temple, and they would be forced to deal with the ravages of near sea-level atmospheric pressures creating normal levels of air resistance on fly balls, keeping their moonshots in the park.

Until, of course, on the very first pitch of the ninth inning, Gabby Hartnett lofted a long fly ball over the left field fence for the go-ahead run, giving the Llamas a 4-3 lead. The Protectors fans, having lost all hope long ago, began leaving the stadium in droves after the Hartnett home run, having little hope that the Protectors would be able to tie the game in the bottom half of the inning.

In fact, they were right about that. Dutch Leonard, allowed to finish the game, struck out two in the final frame despite his fastball clocking in at no more than 87 miles per hour. Frank Howard, representing the last hope of the Detroit club, was especially bad in the clutch, whiffing on three straight pitches to end the game.

TheFlyingLlama found no joy in his win, "I am in this league to be an enlightener, not an executioner. Today did not feel like we won a game, it felt like we put one more bullet into the shambling half-dead corpse of the Protectors. That is not what I'm here for. It's just a bad day for everyone."

As for cbx, the strain of losing weighed heavily on his mind, "Why the gently caress do I even bother? I put together a team, a good team, and that it gets poo poo all over. Doesn't matter how hard I try, doesn't matter what moves I make, doesn't matter what I do, the team just falls apart year after year. And after a certain, you wonder, well, what the gently caress am I doing here? Some days, I just want to burn this stadium down with my team in it but, knowing them, they'd probably somehow manage to gently caress up dying. Somedays, it gets hard to wake up. To face this mess. Where did I go wrong with this team? Why can't it ever just work out for me for a change? Why is it that every loving season, I have to watch my team fall apart? What did I ever do to deserve this? Karma? I mean, maybe I Was a total rear end in a top hat in a past life. Maybe I was Cortes, or Custer, or Piers Anthony." Informed that Piers Anthony was, in fact, still alive, cbx's expression darkened further, "This day just keeps getting worse."

GAME NOTES

-Jose Canseco, speaking for the players, carefully avoided answering the question of whether the Protectors were intentionally tanking games, "Listen, man, you live and work in Detroit, it gets hard, you know. The other teams in our division are living in Cancun, or a resort in Burma, or some place where they have dinosaurs, and we're stuck in this shithole? No one wants to be in Detroit anymore, it's dead. Now, cbx wants to move the team to somewhere a bit nicer, then, hey, maybe morale might improve and we might be able to play a bit better. We're not unreasonable people, you do right by us, and we'll do right by you. But you got to pay to play, you know?"

-Brett Gardner, American Hero, made an appearance in today's game.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Like the world's worst phoenix, the Thunder rise again.

Analysis

Dave Veres is not a long-term solution to any problem ever.

Analysis

A team with two Ruths will never be too far out of it.

Analysis

A half-step from where they need to be. Although, if they survive the season, Ted Williams should solve that.

Analysis

Well, the week-low in terms of runs scored was 9. So, that happened.

Analysis

Your team should not be this bad.

Analysis

You were bound to lose the titles at some point. On the plus side, you only need to finish not-last to stay in the upper league, and you're only four games out of that.

Analysis

This team is better than the Generics. Ergo, it will not fall to the Sub-Par league.

That said, Ozzie Smith, at age 37, isn't an answer at SS. Even the Cardinals realized this.

Analysis

Do not let the Ferrets beat you.

Analysis

A 3-3 week still counts as an improvement.

Analysis

Stan Musial is melting!

Analysis

Well, you've got an Outfield of Doom and, as it happens, and infield of Doom too. Just that the infield is really more focused on your doom.

Analysis

Assuming Manny ever gets over the Mendoza line, you are probably going to leapfrog the Knights at some point, and that will be good enough for your first season.

Analysis

A while ago, I said this was a patchwork team that was surviving for no clearly discernable reason. Looks like that's caught up with you.

Analysis

Josh Gibson will allow no other team to become Senor Goodtimes Champion.

Analysis

It has to get better.

Analysis

Premos are going to spend the next week with family. How nice for them.

Analysis

Brutal interleague schedule. Still, if this team avoids injury, it will survive. Though I have no idea if that's something you even want.

Analysis

Hey, a lot of teams have problems with the Coburns.

Analysis

The pitching's there, the hitting just has to wake up.

Analysis

There's no team to be afraid of in this league except the Coburns, and you've beat them both times you faced them in the playoffs.

Analysis

Good news: You got your titles back!
Bad newS: You'll be defending them next week in Mogadishu

Analysis

This team is getting back to where it needs to be. Sadly, though, Hornsby is batting under .400.

Analysis

The Dinger Temple giveth and the Dinger Temple taketh away.

Standings

W's steal, all others retain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Gibson in at LF for the week, send down Simmons.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

ForeverBWFC posted:

Gibson in at LF for the week, send down Simmons.

You have an offday coming up at the start of the week. You don't need to make that move right now.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Why is it that every loving season, I have to watch my team fall apart? What did I ever do to deserve this? Karma? I mean, maybe I Was a total rear end in a top hat in a past life. Maybe I was Cortes, or Custer, or Piers Anthony." Informed that Piers Anthony was, in fact, still alive, cbx's expression darkened further, "This day just keeps getting worse."

Why on earth would you inform cbx of this? He's suffered enough! Couldn't you have just lied?

Anyway, Pharmas moves:

1.) Olerud returns to 1b; restoring the McCovey/Allen platoon
2.) Swap O'Neill and McCovey/Allen in the field; the platoon now DHs and O'Neill patrols LF
3.) Ripken returns from the DL, sending down Molitor. Ripken replaces Hanley Ramirez in the lineup.
4.) Let's see how disastrous Hanley turns out to be at 2nd. Rest Alomar, Hanley plays 2b everyday.

End Moves. Thank you.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I probably should reset my DH lineup, with interleague play coming up. On the other hand, the only team I seem to be able to beat is my tag team partner, so let's see how badly the AI can gently caress it up instead. Actually, no there is one thing I can do.

Send down Brett Gardner, and call up Delmon Dogg.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

I think it's time to give up on Grove. Swap him and Sutton. As for the lineup, I'll deal with all the sore guys next week. For now, just replace Furillo with Crawford in the no-DH lineup.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

You have an offday coming up at the start of the week. You don't need to make that move right now.

Fair enough. Retract that order. It's just this is the 2nd time he's been tired already so I wanted to be sure not to push him to sore.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Okay, Dinos. Here's the plan:

1. Chris Short is going to take his 9 ERA and get the **** off this team; he'll be replaced by Lew Richie.
2. Beltran is going to play LF for the week because Manush is tired and old (to the bench); unlike that machine Musial, he never complains.
3. Cecil Travis is going to be the DH in every lineup (replacing the pitcher).
4. We are swapping Roush and Myer in the lineup, because Buddy gets those singles.

Now go out there and prove to Smasher that the Dinos deserve respect!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
With the talent currently in the subper league, I have a better chance of surviving if I drop to the Subpar League next season.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Win a series against the Colliders, get swept by the Coburns. Such is life.

Platoon Staub and Furillo in RF, send Ott (:cry:) to the DL.
Promote Smoltz to setup, Bottalico to MR, and Wagner to the DL.

Thus far has been a season to forget.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

The lineup is starting to show signs of life, but, still, it's disappointing to be wasting such good pitching so far. And I'm still going to be picking in the back end of the draft, so there's little change I can do much for my offense without making a significant trade. :-|

Interleague lineups:

vs RHP w DH
3B Frisch
LF Speaker
DH O'Doul
CF Charleston
1B Thomas
RF Robinson
C Torre/Martinez
SS Cronin
2B Alomar

vs LHP w DH
LF Speaker
SS Cronin
RF Robinson
DH Thomas
C Torre/Martinez
CF Charleston
1B Youkilis
3B Frisch
2B Kent

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

I feel the Tornados just need another power bat (and Williams to not be dead) and they'd be a pretty drat good team. Also their bullpen is a bit of a problem, but whose isn't? Either way, being slightly insane does have a certain appeal to it.

Changes: Flip-flop the catcher platoon to have Simmons face righties and King Kelly facing lefties this week. Replace Joe Cronin with Riggs Stephenson at 2B. Keep non-DH lineups the same.

vs. RHP with DH
3B McGraw
LF Hamilton
RF Speaker
1B Stargell
CF Snider
SS Banks
DH Belle
C Simmons
2B Stephenson

vs. LHP with DH
1B Kelley
2B Stephenson
RF Speaker
SS Banks
LF Belle
3B Rosen
C Kelly
CF Trout
DH Cronin

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

I believe my interleague lineups are set, but just to be sure make sure that Chipper is the everyday 3B in the interleague lineups.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Eh. I'm done wondering why my team is this bad and just accepting the reality that last season's SL had more exploitable teams in it, and that my catchers should always hit below .150, and that Ty Cobb will never hit near .300 again. Still, I should at least try and care about this poo poo-stain, right?

Frank Tanana to #4 SP, Ed Killian to #5 SP, the previous #4/#5 to the minors. Start Ernie Banks at SS in all lineups, bench Barry Larkin.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Alright enough's enough with this bullpen. Granted all of my other relievers suck to the point where I'm not willing to send anyone down, but I've got to at least re-order things to hopefully encourage the AI to use the ones that are actually good this season. On the plus side, Hoff appears to be trending in the right direction now.

Bullpen
CL Trevor Hoffman
SU Al Hrabosky
SR Dan Quisenberry
SR Sergio Romo
MR Dave LaRoche
LR Johnny Sain

Edit: fine, don't gently caress around with the lineup. I guess I still have another power-hitting lefty 2B if Sweet Lou ever goes down.

Beet fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 16, 2014

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

King Kelly in at DH. Eddie Murray to the bench.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

I mean, a 7 day injury for a pitcher isn't a big deal. Should I just skip him in the rotation this go around or should I put David Price in his spot for seven days?

ChampRamp fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 16, 2014

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

world's worst phoenix

hi

DH LINEUP:

eh whatever same lineup as my no dh one except Chipper Jones is my DH and bats ninth

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Last call for getting your DH/no-DH lineups in order before I sim next week sometime this afternoon!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

My lineups are already set, but I'd appreciate it if you could swap Wood and Leever in my rotation, and bring in Tannehill for Phillippe.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Fire Ferrets No DH:
(:effort: on the banner)
Same as DH, just without the current DH. I'll probably modify it after the Draft.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

cbx posted:

Ty Cobb will never hit near .300 again.

gently caress Ty Cobb.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Omnibus Syndicate Interleague Post

If it is actually as listed in screenshots, no changes.

Except to put Cronin back in instead of Yount.

2B Carew/Sandberg
RF Ott
LF Williams
DH Foxx
CF Bonds
3B Brett/Schmidt
1B Gracie
SS Travis
C Hartnett

CF Speaker
2B Morgan/Lajoie
LF Bonds
RF Williams
1B Thomas
3B Chipper
SS Boudreau
C Berra/Hartnett

CF Hamilton
LF Delahanty
RF Keeler
3B Rose
DH Connor
2B Grich
1B Palmiero
SS Jennings
C Clements/I-Rod

Oh, and please put Madson in for Howell.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Thunder No Dh lineup

CF: Speaker
3B: Hornsby
2B: Gehringer
LF: Bradman
RF: Ott
1B: Bill Terry
C: platoon
SS: Banks
P

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Week 8 Injury Report

Burma Imperialists
Eddie Collins (2B) (ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY) - 7 days
Alan Embree (RP) (ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY) - 7 days

Rockford Losers
J.J. Putz (RP) (ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY) - 12 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Eri Yoshida (RP) (ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY) - 11 days

Pick 'em: ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY

Intercontinental, Heavyweight and Larkin-Downing Championships
Oklahoma City Bombers @ New World Symphony (c)

Hardcore and Television Championships
Somali Pirates @ South Bolton Eazy W's (c)

Canadian Championship
CERN Colliders (c) @ Zombie Llamas

United States Championship
Coburns (c) @ Oklahoma City Bombers

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 16, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
OKC Unify

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Canadian Championship

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Smasher, I think you might want to take a break from the Super League and do something you find fun for awhile, cause I fear it's having a rather nasty effect on both your health and sanity. :ohdear:

With regards to Pick 'em, though, all champs retain.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

BOMBERS BOMBERS BOMBERS

Canadian Championship

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Canadian Championship

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

All champs lose.

Come play with us Smasher...forever and ever and

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Never mind...

Pash fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 17, 2014

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Senerio posted:

OKC Unify

Love it.

My pick 'em though: all champs retain.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I'm too lazy to make actual pick 'em picks, aka champs retain.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Champs retain sounds about right to me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Champs retain.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

All retain, etc.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Run a Kubrickian update and you'll have some random posters come up with elaborate theories based on single lines.

Canadian Championship

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Canadian Championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Pick'em: Please ignore my earlier post, Bombers beat the Symphony, all others retain.