Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Somebody asked for more behind-the-scenes stuff.

Motion reference for the bugs in Starship Troopers

Making Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi

The late, great Stan Winston tests out a mechanical dinosaur for Jurassic Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's a shame more movies don't use practical effects. That's one of the reasons The Thing will always be one of the greatest movies ever made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

The late, great Stan Winston tests out a mechanical dinosaur for Jurassic Park

That doesn't look very scary.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

zoux posted:

That doesn't look very scary.

More like a 6 foot turkey.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Robert Denby posted:

Somebody asked for more behind-the-scenes stuff.

Motion reference for the bugs in Starship Troopers

I like the first trooper, just casually dying.

"Oh no... I'm dead... killed by a candy cane...

Lunch?"

Are there any more of them from Starship Troopers?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

It's a shame more movies don't use practical effects. That's one of the reasons The Thing will always be one of the greatest movies ever made.

Agreed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

veedubfreak posted:

I assume the other reason is that Kurt Russel is a stone-cold fox.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Would

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What movie is that?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Thump! posted:

Are there any more of them from Starship Troopers?
Yup!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

What movie is that?

It's a car commercial

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

The late, great Stan Winston

Stan Winston was an artist of the highest caliber. Dude deserves Leonardo da Vinci levels of respect.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Canned Panda posted:

It's a car commercial

Leading the way for the live-action movie due out next year, which should also be full of similar practical effects.

(Attack on Titan, for those of you who have no idea what's going on.)
http://youtu.be/NQkgmHEA5_E

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Unfunny Poster posted:

What movie is that?

Japanese Subaru Forester ad

efb

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Smokey Nagata breaking the law:

Also, don't gently caress with a Supra. First one has a video to go with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNy-ajRV0U

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

GoT deleted scene.

Yes, that is Peter Dinklage.

Edit: Knights of Badassdom, actually. If someone could take all of Peter's scenes from this film and cut them into GoT it might be the best show of all time.

ZenMaster has a new favorite as of 23:31 on May 15, 2014

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Zeether posted:

Smokey Nagata breaking the law:

It will never cease to amaze me that so many love watching people drive fast in a more or less straight line while so few care about rally. Rally is awesome :colbert:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

There is something so aesthetically pleasing about watching a car gracefully move in a direction different from where it's facing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Jamesman posted:

(Attack on Titan, for those of you who have no idea what's going on.)
http://youtu.be/NQkgmHEA5_E

I've been seeing .gifs and other random stuff of this all over the place recently. Is this any good for someone who generally doesn't watch anime?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Just The Facts posted:

I've been seeing .gifs and other random stuff of this all over the place recently. Is this any good for someone who generally doesn't watch anime?

Not really no. It's an interesting setting, with a fair amount of death and gore if that's your thing. The problem is DBZ syndrome- poo poo takes way longer than it should due to excessive padding, and it's only going to get worse as the show progresses.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

"I need a lieutenant. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."

"Ahh, my wedding vows."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

"I need a lieutenant. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."
"Ahh, my wedding vows."
That live show was so drat good.

More from Starship Troopers

I don't have the finished version of that last shot.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

ZenMaster posted:

Yes, that is Peter Dinklage.

I just wish we could get a director's cut already. We got 85 minutes out of the 145 it should have had in Joe Lynch's version.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Just The Facts posted:

I generally don't watch or like anime, but this show intrigued me for the shock factor so I checked it out. Started off strong in the first few episodes then turned into characters spewing out cheesy melodramatic soliloquies, yelling, and over the top crying for 90% of the episode in addition to weird 5-10 minute scenes where you're waiting for a thing to happen and sometimes it doesn't even happen. The action in cool when it happens, I guess.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

vandelay industries posted:

I generally don't watch or like anime, but this show intrigued me for the shock factor so I checked it out. Started off strong in the first few episodes then turned into characters spewing out cheesy melodramatic soliloquies, yelling, and over the top crying for 90% of the episode in addition to weird 5-10 minute scenes where you're waiting for a thing to happen and sometimes it doesn't even happen. The action in cool when it happens, I guess.

I got half way through the second episode before I started hoping the monsters would eat the main character. Skipped to the end of the first season, saw that he was still alive and immediately stopped watching. I don't find annoying and overly emotional children to be a compelling story-telling device.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
One more before-and-after from Starship Troopers

If you have the DVD of "Starship Troopers", watch the behind-the-scenes footage. A lot of it is Paul Verhoeven off-camera yelling to the actors and stuntmen, "And now you see a huge bahg! IT'S COMING FOR YOU! GIANT BAHG! SHOOT ZE BAHG!"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just The Facts posted:

If you have Netflix, go ahead and give it a shot. Worse comes to worse, it's not for you and you don't keep watching.

I kept hearing about it, wanted to see what the big deal was, and was so hooked, I finished the season in two sittings.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Robert Denby please stop making me want to watch Startship Troopers for the umpteenth time t:mad:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Just The Facts posted:

I kind of agree with the other posters, but it did keep my interest for the whole season, even if a couple of episodes are kind of painful if not even close to - say - One Piece where you get like ten minutes of new scenes per episode if you're lucky. You could watch the first three-four episodes. If you're not hooked by then you can safely skip the rest. The characters are small children for one and a half episode + a couple of flashbacks and that's it. They don't really grow up though but that's anime for you. If you prefer dubs there's one coming out soon.

Renoistic has a new favorite as of 05:27 on May 16, 2014

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avulsion posted:

I got half way through the second episode before I started hoping the monsters would eat the main character. Skipped to the end of the first season, saw that he was still alive and immediately stopped watching. I don't find annoying and overly emotional children to be a compelling story-telling device.

It's an anime, it's aimed at teenagers, and the main character (of the anime) reflects that aim by being a teenager with pretty teenager-ish emotional control. The anime spends a surprising amount of time on the details of combat in that world and against those enemies. I'm a sucker for any story that manages to weave palpable technical detail into its narrative- equipment, logistics, fuel, reconnaissance, commnications, malfunctions, that sort of thing. I loved it to pieces.

I've been informed that the girl who is good at everything is the protagonist in the comic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Renoistic posted:

I kind of agree with the other posters, but it did keep my interest for the whole season, even if a couple of episodes are kind of painful if not even close to - say - One Piece where you get like ten minutes of new scenes per episode if you're lucky. You could watch the first three-four episodes. If you're not hooked by then you can safely skip the rest. The characters are small children for one and a half episode + a couple of flashbacks and that's it. They don't really grow up though but that's anime for you. If you prefer dubs there's one coming out soon.
Dub is already up if you are watching Toonami, which is always a good time on the Adult Swim thread.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dubs are bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chard posted:

Robert Denby please stop making me want to watch Startship Troopers for the umpteenth time t:mad:

Service Guarantees Citizenship, civilian. You should always endeavour to know more :colbert:.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Somfin posted:

It's an anime, it's aimed at teenagers, and the main character (of the anime) reflects that aim by being a teenager with pretty teenager-ish emotional control. The anime spends a surprising amount of time on the details of combat in that world and against those enemies. I'm a sucker for any story that manages to weave palpable technical detail into its narrative- equipment, logistics, fuel, reconnaissance, commnications, malfunctions, that sort of thing. I loved it to pieces.

I've been informed that the girl who is good at everything is the protagonist in the comic.

Anime is a great storytelling medium for building science fiction and fantasy worlds that would be ludicrously difficult and expensive to portray with live action. I watched a lot of anime as a teenager, and my favorite shows were the ones that focused on building a fantastic yet believable world and telling an engaging story without inserting an emotionally unstable teenage character because the producers thought I would have an easier time relating to a petulant idiot than an actual interesting character. It is an unfortunate trend in television that seems to afflict animated and live action shows alike, regardless of nationality.

I wish I could find my DVD copy of Gravity because the behind the scenes stuff is completely insane and twice as long as the actual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Cibo Matto - Know Your Chicken

Dizzee Rascal - Bassline Junkie

Fake Blood - I Think I Like It

• Locked thread