Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

KernelSlanders posted:

Lets say (and I'm pulling numbers completely out of my rear end here) you spend a million dollars (in cash, no financing to keep it simple) to build a grow facility that you expect to last for 20 years. Your costs to operate it are $50k/year and you sell the crops for $200k. After your first year you book $100k in profits (200 revenue - 50 continued operation - 50 in depreciation). Next year, the price collapses and you can only sell the crops for $75k. Your choices are (A) run the operation in which case you have $25k net positive cash flow (75k - 50k) but book a loss of $25k (because of depreciation on the facility); or (B) don't run the operation, have zero cash flow, and book a $50k loss. That's why it makes sense to continue operating the business even at a loss. The loss of not operating it would be more.

If you spend a million dollars to set up a grow and are only making 100k profits, you hosed something up or are smoking all the weed yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Okay, this is a fair point. I suppose it depends, to some extent, on the source of the price collapse?

I don't think the cause of the price collapse is necessarily the issue, although it's possible I'm overlooking something. What are you thinking in that regard? I think its the high fixed costs that hurts you here.

goodness posted:

If you spend a million dollars to set up a grow and are only making 100k profits, you hosed something up or are smoking all the weed yourself.

That's really not the point. A 10% ROE is pretty good, but I was trying to give an example of how it can be advantageous to operate a business at a loss. Once one understands that point, it's more obvious how a price collapse won't necessarily cause suppliers to exit the market and in turn a new supply equilibrium right on the edge of profitability. If there are high capital costs, the equilibrium price may be below profitability.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

KernelSlanders posted:

I don't think the cause of the price collapse is necessarily the issue, although it's possible I'm overlooking something. What are you thinking in that regard? I think its the high fixed costs that hurts you here.

I think the context of a price collapse ought to be considered. If weed is worth X now, and 1/2 X later, there has to be a reason for the decrease in value. We can ignore situations where weed just becomes illegal, because then the market ceases to exist. It also doesn't seem like a particularly plausible outcome. It seems more likely that value would decrease either due to too much product available relative to demand or due to a new producer devising a more efficient method of growing weed. If the former, then I suppose you have a point. That said, given the struggle to keep up with demand, I don't think it's a very likely outcome. It seems much more likely that production will ramp up to meet demand, and probably not overshoot it sufficiently to put a lot of producers in the red. The latter seems like a plausible outcome that could occur at practically any time, but in such a case, one can hardly claim that it was the fixed costs holding the "less innovative" producers out, when the reality is that they were simply outclassed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The bigger factor here is that a "race to the bottom" is unlikely for weed. There will probably be tiers of weed, just like there is for alcohol - ranging from dirt made as cheaply as possible to expensive low-yield strains. You can buy a hell of a lot of Natty Ice for the price of a bottle of 1926 Macallan. I don't see either losing money.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

KernelSlanders posted:

Nash equilibria can be unprofitable. Look at the airline industry as an example.

The airlines are doing quite well now, or at least Delta is. Better logistics planning, among other things, is paying off big.

quote:

Delta Air Lines' $2.7 billion profit for 2013 was not just a record for the company, but also a record for all airlines

Edit: I think the most likely thing is that margins for pot businesses won't be nearly as large as they are now. Scarcity is driving up prices and will eventually correct. When businesses can operate regionally or nationwide then they will still be incredibly profitable. It's silly to be concerned about prices dropping. Not everyone can or wants to grow and process their own pot. Just like I don't grow all my own food, sew all my clothes, or distill my own vodka.

size1one fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 16, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

The current incarnation of Delta is only a few years old and the old one had most of its debt wiped out in 2007. How's AMR doing?

More to the point, I think you are right that prices will fall and then stabilize. The uncertain legal status at the moment creates a big risk premium, but as that status clarifies new market entrants will erase it. At that point, expect ROCs comparable to other small agriculture producers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How long does weed keep? Would it be possible to buy low and sell high?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How long does weed keep? Would it be possible to buy low and sell high?

well you'd have to be able to sell weed short, ie find someone who will loan you weed that you sell now, and pay them back in (hopefully cheaper) weed later. That is, unless you think it is going to go up in price, which I find unlikely. You could also sell weed futures I guess.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm standing in line right now for a dispensary's hiring fair. This is the second one I've been to and people show up in huge numbers. Good thing I'm badged.

And I have been hired as a trimmer. Wheeeeeee

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 16, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

well you'd have to be able to sell weed short, ie find someone who will loan you weed that you sell now, and pay them back in (hopefully cheaper) weed later. That is, unless you think it is going to go up in price, which I find unlikely. You could also sell weed futures I guess.

That would be hilarious, but I wouldn't count on CME group listing any marijuana derivatives any time soon. Without any big institutional consumers, the market would just be suppliers and speculators. Nobody wants to take delivery of a rail car full of weed.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

That would be hilarious, but I wouldn't count on CME group listing any marijuana derivatives any time soon. Without any big institutional consumers, the market would just be suppliers and speculators. Nobody wants to take delivery of a rail car full of weed.

Just tell me where to sign.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Star Man posted:

I'm standing in line right now for a dispensary's hiring fair. This is the second one I've been to and people show up in huge numbers. Good thing I'm badged.

I think that the tour i did a while back said that exactly everyone starts as a trimmer (off flowers that are then sent tothe drying racks). Doing solid, precise work there will take you to more interesting jobs down the line. Great news!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Star Man posted:

Congratulations! I must have been at the same one--I made a beeline for the gardener/farmer table and got hired after a short interview. My interviewer mentioned that they were hiring more people at that fair than most dispensaries have on staff period; there's a real demand for people in all sectors to keep up with how much ganja this state smokes. Definitely going to be nice to take a break from customer service for a while.

Interesting note, the term "MIPS" confused pretty much everyone I was in line with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Inspector Hound posted:

Congratulations! I must have been at the same one--I made a beeline for the gardener/farmer table and got hired after a short interview. My interviewer mentioned that they were hiring more people at that fair than most dispensaries have on staff period; there's a real demand for people in all sectors to keep up with how much ganja this state smokes. Definitely going to be nice to take a break from customer service for a while.

Interesting note, the term "MIPS" confused pretty much everyone I was in line with.

Same. I went to retail first because I assumed that was what I was the most qualified for. You have no idea how strange it is to hear that you won't be considered for a job because you don't smoke weed. But I'll trim their plants for the wage they're offering if it means not delivering pizzas anymore.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Now, this is what I'm talking about.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So is there a running tracker on what states are going to have 2014 referenda? I've heard Alaska and Oregon, is that accurate?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Patter Song posted:

So is there a running tracker on what states are going to have 2014 referenda? I've heard Alaska and Oregon, is that accurate?

Don't forget Washington DC:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The FBI is having trouble finding smart employees who don't smoke cannabis:

quote:

The FBI has admitted that it is considering relaxing its strict rules against drug taking, in a bid to try to encourage more hackers to work for them in the ongoing war against cybercrime.

On Monday, FBI Director James B Comey told an audience at the White Collar Crime Institute annual conference in New York City that the FBI wants to build up its cybercrime unit by filling 2,000 new jobs this year, but has had problems when seeking to hire promising young hackers.

“I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cyber criminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,” Comey said, according to the Wall Street Journal. http://www.ibtimes.com/potential-fbi-hackers-smoking-weed-interviews-triggers-no-drugs-policy-review-1587801

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KingEup posted:

The FBI is having trouble finding smart employees who don't smoke cannabis:

"Yeah dude, I'd love to help you dudes with those hackers and stuff but, ya know, WEED. :350:"

Not one of the reasons I expected for weed legalization, especially from the FBI, but hey, whatever works. :v:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
"those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,”

Oh go gently caress off.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

Oh go gently caress off.

He's using a bit of hyperbole there, but it's basically true. Weed is a stupid reason not to hire someone whose skills are in demand, he just has to couch it like Joe Arpaio because he's in the FBI.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you are worried about testing positive for weed you either work for the government in which case suck it up or do the morally correct thing and quit, or your skills aren't in demand.

Not to say I support drug testing in any capacity, let alone as a condition for employment, but that's the reality we live in today, right now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

have the government fly you out for an interview and then drop the weed bomb on em when you get there, free trip to wherever you interviw

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

He's using a bit of hyperbole there, but it's basically true. Weed is a stupid reason not to hire someone whose skills are in demand, he just has to couch it like Joe Arpaio because he's in the FBI.

Well, he has to keep up appearances. There's a lot of smart people in the FBI and certainly most of them get it. It's just that in an organization like that you have to be of a lawful alignment. It's wrong to do weed, because it's illegal to do weed. Whether the law is stupid or not is kind of beside the point.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

Well, he has to keep up appearances. There's a lot of smart people in the FBI and certainly most of them get it. It's just that in an organization like that you have to be of a lawful alignment. It's wrong to do weed, because it's illegal to do weed. Whether the law is stupid or not is kind of beside the point.

You're right, he should... keep not hiring people because of it? The fact that the law is stupid is exactly the point. It's an impossible law to enforce. The law isn't going to change all at once, it changes when it becomes clear it doesn't work, and part of that is when places like the the FBI admit that not hiring people over marijuana is silly.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Powercrazy posted:

If you are worried about testing positive for weed you either work for the government in which case suck it up or do the morally correct thing and quit, or your skills aren't in demand.

Not to say I support drug testing in any capacity, let alone as a condition for employment, but that's the reality we live in today, right now.

Nearly everything that isn't a McJob in OK requires drug testing including a Marijuana panel. I've been under the impression that this was the case in nearly every fully illegal state?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
In the states I live in, it's pretty much only the McJobs (and government jobs) that bother to drug test.

Professionals in competitive you almost certainly don't get drug tested unless the owner/hiring manager is a staunch anti-drug warrior, and even then its uncommon because it's just not good business.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Nearly everything that isn't a McJob in OK requires drug testing including a Marijuana panel. I've been under the impression that this was the case in nearly every fully illegal state?

Nah, I think it's mostly companies that have contractual obligations to drug test in a lot of places. By fully illegal do you mean no medical? I think the attitudes of companies and the full-illegality share a common cause, rather than the companies doing it because it's illegal. It's also going to depend on the company, I guarantee that Google doesn't drug test its employees in Oklahoma

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlyphGryph posted:

In the states I live in, it's pretty much only the McJobs (and government jobs) that bother to drug test.

Professionals in competitive you almost certainly don't get drug tested unless the owner/hiring manager is a staunch anti-drug warrior, and even then its uncommon because it's just not good business.

I've heard often there's a drug test on hiring but none afterwards, whereas in the government/low paying job they have random drug tests whenever along with at hiring.

So basically don't smoke weed for the 2-3 weeks you're interviewing and you're golden if you're after a middle class job.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

If you work in Finance you are federally required to submit to a drug test on hiring, however the results of that test don't matter. The company can also test randomly anytime they want to (they never do) and in theory you can be fired for violating the company policy on illegal drugs.

In practice, if they are going to fire you, they don't need a drug test to do it, if they want to hire you, the results of a drug test are irrelevant.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

If you work in Finance you are federally required to submit to a drug test on hiring, however the results of that test don't matter. The company can also test randomly anytime they want to (they never do) and in theory you can be fired for violating the company policy on illegal drugs.

In practice, if they are going to fire you, they don't need a drug test to do it, if they want to hire you, the results of a drug test are irrelevant.

This is not universally true - not all financial companies do this. I think it is generally because they have agreements with clients to do so. It may depend on what sort of financial services they provide, if any.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeffrey posted:

This is not universally true - not all financial companies do this. I think it is generally because they have agreements with clients to do so. It may depend on what sort of financial services they provide, if any.

It may just be SEC regulated companies then, Banks, Exchanges, etc. Unlisted Trading Firms (OTC) or hedge funds probably do their own thing as dictated by their insurance company/clients. In any case, drug testing is bunk.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Powercrazy posted:

It may just be SEC regulated companies then, Banks, Exchanges, etc. Unlisted Trading Firms (OTC) or hedge funds probably do their own thing as dictated by their insurance company/clients. In any case, drug testing is bunk.

Most do but it's not an SEC regulation, just a standard that usually happens in finance. The best is when one company gets bought out by another and a bunch of employees fail a drug test at the new employer and have to be let go, I've experienced that firsthand three times now. The more experienced M&A folks have finally figured out to make it really clear when the drug testing is going to happen like a month in advance at an all hands meeting so they don't lose 20% of the acquisition workforce overnight. At least that's what Goldman and JP Morgan always did.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Eh, I oppose the drug test obviously, but if it was a choice between having a job and not having a job I'd go with quitting weed. It's probably not going to be federally illegal for more than a decade, anyways.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

You're right, he should... keep not hiring people because of it? The fact that the law is stupid is exactly the point. It's an impossible law to enforce. The law isn't going to change all at once, it changes when it becomes clear it doesn't work, and part of that is when places like the the FBI admit that not hiring people over marijuana is silly.

Right, but that's why he's got to shrug and say, "Can you believe these people? Me either, but we need to be able to hire them anyway."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

AYC posted:

Eh, I oppose the drug test obviously, but if it was a choice between having a job and not having a job I'd go with quitting weed. It's probably not going to be federally illegal for more than a decade, anyways.
The people the FBI are trying to hire are almost certainly not chosing between a job and not having a job. Assuming they are GS payscale jobs, the FBI is also likely underpaying for the people they want.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Parlett316 posted:

Oh go gently caress off.

Dude how many people can say they smoked weed on the way to get interviewed by the FBI and still got the job though. I actually hit my one hitter on the way to the interview for the job I have now. He's really not even exaggerating at all, I bet.

E: judge me all you want, I got the job and I kick rear end at it :shobon:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

The more experienced M&A folks have finally figured out to make it really clear when the drug testing is going to happen like a month in advance at an all hands meeting so they don't lose 20% of the acquisition workforce overnight. At least that's what Goldman and JP Morgan always did.

Exactly - the drug test on hiring (with no follow-up testing ever) most companies seem to do isn't to check whether prospective employees use drugs, but whether they can stop using them long enough to pass the screen.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My place of employment drug tests on hire (except when they don't, I didn't get drug tested for stupid office politics reasons) but after that it's pretty much just a tool to fire someone with cause so they don't have to pay for unemployment. Management knows if they actually tested anyone they'd have to fire well over half their employees. Even in conservative as hell Kansas the attitude is really pretty blase, as long as you're white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Chiming in to say I've worked for some large tech companies, and also start ups. Never been drug tested except for my first lovely McJob. God bless the northwest, I guess.

e: Anyone know if Google stopped drug testing after Marissa left? It seems like her kind of thing. I think they eased up on some of their degree requirements.

• Locked thread