Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Summer's coming up, Spring is almost here. Dust off your point and shoots in preparation!

Here's some stuff from me over the past few months which didn't make the cut to my Flickr or whatever:

All taken on either a Contax T3 or a disposable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dorkasaurus you always amaze with your shots, great stuff.

I wandered around Dublin city at 4am on Monday and took a load of snaps of empty streets with my P&S, need to get that developed.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I like the vignetting on the XA2. :colbert:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Anybody have any opinions/experiences with the Fuji Klasse S or W?

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Hey y'all,
I picked up a yashica t3 and I'm having some issues. The first roll i put through it only partially came out. About 8 of 24 exposures. It's weird because they were all at the tail end of the roll. I put another roll through it and it all came back blank. Am i loading this wrong or something? I feel like it's pretty fool proof but I don't know what else the problem could be. Any ideas?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those colors :swoon:

Even night drunk handeld stuff comes out ok

I feel like discovering film for the first time, now hopefully I will go through this roll of Portra before the end of the year. A bit worried about a light leak though.

vvv
Those two are particularly blue but that's what the prints look like irl

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 14, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Check your blue channel privilege

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

unpacked robinhood posted:

vvv
Those two are particularly blue but that's what the prints look like irl

your prints are blue

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some prints then ? It's another picture I took that night, everything looks ok I think:

vvv
Are you implying the first two could be edited to look better or are they all defective in your opinion ? Not starting an argument here but I'm fairly new to film so I'm curious and actually don't always know what to expect in the end.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 14, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's nothing wrong with making your badly tinted prints less tinted when you scan them in

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
"unpacked robinhood's prints are blue
and there's nothing I can do..." -- Major Tom

I took my Minox 35ML with me to Japan. I shot 3 rolls of Portra 400, 4 rolls of Velvia 100 and 2 rolls of Presto 400. I've got the Porta scanned so far and I'm liking the combination.

Miyajima Cablecar by RW Sinclair, on Flickr

Itsukushima Torii by RW Sinclair, on Flickr

Train by RW Sinclair, on Flickr

Kinkaku-ji by RW Sinclair, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

vvv
Are you implying the first two could be edited to look better or are they all defective in your opinion ? Not starting an argument here but I'm fairly new to film so I'm curious and actually don't always know what to expect in the end.

Film isn't magic. Edit your scans just like you'd edit an image off of a digital camera.

Super quick curves change in GIMP. Red curve up a tiny bit and green curve down a tiny bit.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 14, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

Film isn't magic. Edit your scans just like you'd edit an image off of a digital camera.

Super quick curves change in GIMP. Red curve up a tiny bit and green curve down a tiny bit.

Well poo poo :stare:

Thank you !

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

I took my Minox 35ML with me to Japan. I shot 3 rolls of Portra 400, 4 rolls of Velvia 100 and 2 rolls of Presto 400. I've got the Porta scanned so far and I'm liking the combination.

Love these, great stuff RC.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy a Natura Classica thinking it's a Natura S. However, if you do, and you buy some Natura 1600 to go with it, you might end up with some pictures like these. (Pardon the lovely scans, my local camera store is garbage.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ISO 1600 colour film, :drat: , I didn't think you could even get that anymore.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RustedChrome posted:

Very, very nice!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

ISO 1600 colour film, :drat: , I didn't think you could even get that anymore.

Superia 1600 is widely available, but costs more than Portra 400 which can do 1600 too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

:chord:

Why do I keep finding poo poo like this

This is actually a Kyocera and it's pretty great to use despite having an abysmal lens (f/4-7.5). At least I can say I own a "Leica*" now.

It works perfectly, I've only shot one test roll of generic CVS 400 through it on the way back from the thrift store I found it at. It was a lovely rainy day and I was shooting through my car windows and I hadn't cleaned out the dust yet so the results are almost embarrassingly awful but I was just testing the thing and not really thinking about what I was doing. I think this thing sold for like $500 back in 1995 :laugh:

EDIT: I kind of collect Kyocera digital cameras because I have a weird love for them but this is my first of their film cameras, and it has the same vibe as their great digitals, only with a Leica coat of paint. It reminds me of the digital camera they made for Contax, the TVS digital. I really wish it had a brighter lens because this thing really is awesome to use.

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 20, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I think I see that Leica glow... or maybe that bus really is pink. Still, nice find for $2. I'd have grabbed it too even though I have no love for zooms.

I'm scanning in the Velvia I shot with my Minox 35ML. It seems the camera is underexposing somewhat. It wasn't obvious with the Portra 400 because that film is awesome. Also, I shouldn't be shooting ISO100 film on a cloudy day. I'm about to scan a roll I shot in sunlight and it seems better. I like a few of the shots, as dark as they are.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is your Velvia expired? Because I have that exact purple tint with expired Ektachrome

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It's about 2 years expired.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Personally, the excessive purple/magenta tint is more noticeable than the underexposure. I spent a few minutes with them in Photoshop, if you don't mind:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

You're right. I worked on them on a different computer than my usual one and they didn't look so purple. I looked again on my Macbook and... woah! Uncalibrated monitors suck.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
No pictures but a question.

I've got an Olympus mju -I and a mju -II, Stylus and Stylus Epic as they're known elsewhere. I've got a cousin that wants to futz around with film, so i want to give him one of these. i'm thinking the mju -I would be the best since it's ultra cheap, somewhat hardy and easy to operate. Am i right in thinking that?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

No pictures but a question.

I've got an Olympus mju -I and a mju -II, Stylus and Stylus Epic as they're known elsewhere. I've got a cousin that wants to futz around with film, so i want to give him one of these. i'm thinking the mju -I would be the best since it's ultra cheap, somewhat hardy and easy to operate. Am i right in thinking that?

They're great for a P+S, but they don't have manual aperture controls and such, which could be what he's expecting with "film camera".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I agree with Paul MaudDib - give your friend either P&S if you think they're looking for "I want to take pictures like it's 1999", or help them find a manual-focus SLR from the 80's for like $50 if they're more interested in learning how to take pictures they can be proud of.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Got my first roll from my Rollei 35 SE developed. Didn't have any experience with zone focusing and I didn't use the flash. Shot with some Fuji Superia Xtra 400 that expired in 2010. Only a third of them were out of focus!

Hotel Le Germain by Cacator, on Flickr

Window by Cacator, on Flickr

Melt by Cacator, on Flickr

Stretch by Cacator, on Flickr

Reflections by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 27, 2014

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

ExecuDork posted:

I agree with Paul MaudDib - give your friend either P&S if you think they're looking for "I want to take pictures like it's 1999", or help them find a manual-focus SLR from the 80's for like $50 if they're more interested in learning how to take pictures they can be proud of.

yeah i gave him the stylus and then i'll see if he wants to go further. Initially i'd actually given him a 90es pentax SLR (possibly eighties) but right after i'd given it to him it broke by shooting off an entire roll the second it was loaded. gonna be some odd pictures there.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Cacator posted:

Got my first roll from my Rollei 35 SE developed. Didn't have any experience with zone focusing and I didn't use the flash. Shot with some Fuji Superia Xtra 400 that expired in 2010. Only a third of them were out of focus!

Never, ever leave home without a Rollei in your pocket ^_^

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone have an Olympus Pen EE? They look kinda cool to me.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I have a Pen D2 and it is awesome.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That has a nicer lens but manual aperture/shutter, right? I'm also kinda in love with the idea of a Pen FT mini slr but once you throw in a lens or two they start looking a bit pricey for a drunken photos camera.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Yeah, it has the 32mm f/1.7 and an uncoupled meter. For point and shoot purposes the lower f-stop and automatic features of the EE line aren't really that big a deal. I wouldn't bother with the FT line, the larger lenses sort of defeat the purpose of a tiny point and shoot, and the quality of a half frame image isn't worth the high price.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Does this weird old camera fall under the P&S category?

German Baldamatic 1 (1958 - 1962)

I can't even find any photos of anyone holding it to get a sense of how large it is. It looks like you can replace the lens but it's definitely no SLR.

I had the chance to pick one up today for $40 but the seller changed his mind, and decided to shoot a roll of film with it first before letting it go. :negative:

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I have an Olympus Pen EE3. I like the half frame because you can use to compose an image across different frames.

Miike fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 16, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

These old cameras are not really P&S. You have to know a bit about photography and put some thought into your shot to get decent results. I think a P&S should really just have a shutter button and a film advance. I guess a few focus zones are OK too.

But this thread is not so active that we can't talk about cool old pocket cameras of all types, I think. I like hearing about you guys shooting with them, even if the odd rangefinder creeps in here.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

In my head, my criteria for point and shoots are that I could hand one to a stranger to take my picture without issue or confusion.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BANME.sh posted:

Does this weird old camera fall under the P&S category?

German Baldamatic 1 (1958 - 1962)

I can't even find any photos of anyone holding it to get a sense of how large it is. It looks like you can replace the lens but it's definitely no SLR.

I had the chance to pick one up today for $40 but the seller changed his mind, and decided to shoot a roll of film with it first before letting it go. :negative:

That is a scale-focus rangefinder(!!) camera with manual exposure control, so not at all. A point and shoot is auto or fixed focus with automatic exposure and frame advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
The design of it kind of reminds me of my Agfa Optima from around the same era which arguably is an admittedly basic point and shoot:

Just set the focus to close, less close or far away then press down on the big satisfying lever to the left of the lens to automatically set the shutter speed and aperture and pray.

IMG_20140516_0005 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

IMG_20140516_0004 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

IMG_20140516_0003 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

IMG_20140516_0001 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

• Locked thread