Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

BMS posted:

As long as they're connected through some solid part, (Cmd. Pod, engine, another fuel tank), you should be able to right click on the empty main tank, the ALT+right click on one of the full ones, and transfer the fuel regardless.

There are certain parts that don't allow that, (it's called Fuel Crossfeed), but they state it on their part description, and they're few and far between!

In flight? It popped with just about fifteen seconds to impact, giving me enough time to wonder why I was out of fuel already and notice that the others were full, then boom. The pod survived, but without the rest of the ship. Hopefully putting crossfeed lines on will solve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

In flight?

Yeah but it the transfer doesn't happen instantaneously (15s is probably not enough time for anything decent unless you're really quick with the clicking on individual parts midflight), and also it could potentially cause center of mass issues depending on where the fuel is coming from and where it is going.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

In flight? It popped with just about fifteen seconds to impact, giving me enough time to wonder why I was out of fuel already and notice that the others were full, then boom. The pod survived, but without the rest of the ship. Hopefully putting crossfeed lines on will solve it.

Yeah, you can do that at anytime during flight. But like Moridin said, it transfers fairly slowly. Of course, fuel lines would work as well. Options man, this game's got'em!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdB1EOXzn4&t=698s

This is a pretty impressive mech. Video starts off a little funky, but it picks up when you see it in action.

The Mun Skiing. :jebstare:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Met posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdB1EOXzn4&t=698s

This is a pretty impressive mech. Video starts off a little funky, but it picks up when you see it in action.

The Mun Skiing. :jebstare:

m1sz makes annoying videos but pretty amazing ksp contraptions. I recommend sound off and selective meme blindness.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BMS posted:

As long as they're connected through some solid part, (Cmd. Pod, engine, another fuel tank), you should be able to right click on the empty main tank, the ALT+right click on one of the full ones, and transfer the fuel regardless.

There are certain parts that don't allow that, (it's called Fuel Crossfeed), but they state it on their part description, and they're few and far between!

Incorrect: non-fuel crossfeed parts do nothing to stop an alt-right-click fuel transfer.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

Incorrect: non-fuel crossfeed parts do nothing to stop an alt-right-click fuel transfer.

Oh wow. Jenkies, I guess I've never actually tried to transfer with any of those parts on. I stand corrected!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BMS posted:

Oh wow. Jenkies, I guess I've never actually tried to transfer with any of those parts on. I stand corrected!

Yeah, the game doesn't actually check if there's an unimpeded path of fuel-crossfeed-allowing parts between the tanks, it just transfers it through a wormhole I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One more crossfeed tip- you can toggle crossfeed on and off on docking ports, so you can stop a tug or transfer stage stealing fuel from its cargo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

drat, I know it isn't in the cards right now but I really look forward till this game reaches the point where you can actually do interstellar travel and travel to black holes and giant stars and do science there. Are you considering adding other planets and bodies at this point at all or is it a long term thing?

It'd be cool if sending kerbals into an event horizon would redshift them into nothingness from a third person perspective (worse so as you zoom out) and you only get to witness your destruction if you do it IVA

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 16, 2014

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Man, it's really loving hard to get a close approach to these asteroids in very eccentric orbits. Took like 10 minutes of fiddling around with a maneuver node to accomplish this:

Is making a bunch of little tiny adjustment burns the way every else is doing this?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Shibawanko posted:

drat, I know it isn't in the cards right now but I really look forward till this game reaches the point where you can actually do interstellar travel and travel to black holes and giant stars and do science there. Are you considering adding other planets and bodies at this point at all or is it a long term thing?

It'd be cool if sending kerbals into an event horizon would redshift them into nothingness from a third person perspective (worse so as you zoom out) and you only get to witness your destruction if you do it IVA

A long time ago I think the plan was procedurally creating other planets and stars and stuff, but lately that tune has changed. Harvester explains his reasoning here, I don't personally agree: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/23/kerbal-space-program-dev-on-random-solar-systems-the-joy-of-failure-and-the-cult-of-steam/

He states that players can't relate each other's accomplishments in a procedural galaxy, which simply isn't true for multiple reasons.

A: Seeds. Have seeded galaxies, players can relate to each other's games.
B: Keep the starting solar system static, start generating after you leave it.
C: Saying that players can't relate is kind of assuming that players are morons. "I just did x maneuver around a large gas giant" there, simple. Specific stories might require elaboration: "The gas giant has a very thick atmosphere!" There. Done. Story related.

The game is (at least partly) about exploration, and procedural galaxies would add a lot to that. The planets are already partially procedurally generated, so having that extend further out isn't a big stretch.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, ruling out procedural solar systems in a game about discovery and exploration was a Bad Decision. It was also Dumb. :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arsonide posted:

A long time ago I think the plan was procedurally creating other planets and stars and stuff, but lately that tune has changed. Harvester explains his reasoning here, I don't personally agree: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/23/kerbal-space-program-dev-on-random-solar-systems-the-joy-of-failure-and-the-cult-of-steam/

He states that players can't relate each other's accomplishments in a procedural galaxy, which simply isn't true for multiple reasons.

Wait, seriously? That's the rationale? :psyduck:

That is dumb as hell and completely ignores how much time people spend showing off cool things they did, found, or made in games like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm getting a little burnt out on procedural generated everything type games. Starbound, Spore, etc. Everything becomes a lot less special and a lot more generalized. It's nice for this game to keep everything tight in one solar system that they improve over development. Plus I don't need any magical warp drives and whatever for other solar systems. If you need that, there are mods out there for you.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 16, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

while I agree as to the reasoning, I do wonder if the engine is capable of dealing with such great distances. I mean, right now an intercept with eeloo on maximum timewarp can take 2-4 minutes. The distance equivalent from adding the kerbin equivalent to proxima centauri would mean at least 15 minutes max speed while I go do something else, no?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Met posted:

I'm getting a little burnt out on procedural generated everything type games. Starbound, Spore, etc. Everything becomes a lot less special and a lot more generalized. It's nice for this game to keep the everything tight in one solar system that they improve over development. Plus I don't need any magical warp drives and whatever for other solar systems. If you need that, there are mods out there for you.

For its faults, Spore still nailed the feeling of "Holy poo poo the galaxy is BIG!"

If only there'd been anything to do. :smith:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Actual level design means that the environment can guide a player through the world without them really noticing all that much. Procedural generation means you're always at the mercy of a random number generator, and there's always a chance you can just get hosed by it. I think the reason gamemakers love procedural generation is because they are lazy, and don't want to make levels because it is tedious and boring.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

double nine posted:

while I agree as to the reasoning, I do wonder if the engine is capable of dealing with such great distances. I mean, right now an intercept with eeloo on maximum timewarp can take 2-4 minutes. The distance equivalent from adding the kerbin equivalent to proxima centauri would mean at least 15 minutes max speed while I go do something else, no?

Let's say the Kerbol system had the same size as our own Solar System and Eeloo was just as distant as Pluto.

Pluto is 39.5 AU from the Sun. Proxima Centauri is 268,136.4 AU away. (6788x the distance)

If Eeloo was a 4 min time warp away, Kerb Centauri would be 18.8 days away at full time warp.

SocketSeven posted:

Actual level design means that the environment can guide a player through the world without them really noticing all that much. Procedural generation means you're always at the mercy of a random number generator, and there's always a chance you can just get hosed by it. I think the reason gamemakers love procedural generation is because they are lazy, and don't want to make levels because it is tedious and boring.

and it's not that procedural generation doesn't have it's place. I just don't like the idea of it in KSP.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Simple solution to interstellar travel.

We are the Kerbals. We will add your technological distinctiveness to our own.....so we may then place a Command Seat on top of it and crash it into the planet.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but here. Have a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0DpPy6cro

I also recorded a video of Jeb riding an asteroid with an external seat and crashing into Kerbin....maybe a gif or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BMS posted:

maybe a gif or something?

Use the gooncam

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Elder Postsman posted:

Man, it's really loving hard to get a close approach to these asteroids in very eccentric orbits. Took like 10 minutes of fiddling around with a maneuver node to accomplish this:

Is making a bunch of little tiny adjustment burns the way every else is doing this?

You want to get your apo to meet the asteroid's periapse at the same moment. My technique:

- Target the asteroid. Launch, get into orbit in the same plane as the asteroid.
- Put a maneuvre node at the point in your orbit closest to the asteroid's periapse. Set it to burn prograde, to extend your orbit out opposite the asteroid.
- at your new apoapse, opposite the node you just used, put another node. This one burns prograde too. If you pull it out right, you'll get a second new apo that exactly meets the periapse of the asteroid. It probably won't be at the right time, though.
- If you have the asteroid targeted, you can see whether you'll be at its periapse too soon or too late. Now you need to fiddle with the first node you placed. If you'll be there too soon, you need to burn a little more (I think? it's been a while. Anyway, it should be obvious). Then adjust the second node to meet the periapse again. Keep messing with the two nodes until you get a decent rendezvous.

Hope that makes sense. Mechjeb makes the actual rendezvous a lot easier, too.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Of course, if the periapse is inside Kerbin then you have to get creative. I try to encounter those outside Kerbin SOI--it gets damned fiddly though since the rails keep jumping around.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Turns out there is a new person updating ScanSat , and it fixed my issues with it! There appear to be occasional buggy issues with the big map (Duna looks like kerbin until you scan it, sometimes??), but hey!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arsonide posted:

Nice job on that ascent from Super-hell-Eve, but the planet that spawned in my game has a larger gravitational parameter, axial tilt, and lower sidereal period, and I managed to do it with a more elegant ship design. :smug: Oh, no I didn't take any screenshots because it has become so pedestrian. <ignores request for universe seed string>

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SocketSeven posted:

You're really missing the fact that good procedural systems almost always include a lot of hand crafted content as well as a lot of procedural content that's curated and modified on a case-by-case basis. Procedural content generation is really suited to any sort of game that takes place on an astronomical scale like this because you have huge tracks of nothing that can't be feasibly populated by hand. Having stuff beyond the Kerbol system without procedurally generating it just seems really silly given that there's so little variety in what you actually do in KSP. Running off to somewhere really far away just to click "collect data" some more doesn't sound all that interesting without any sense of exploration to go along with it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, got pretty far into my space station build, and the quantum struts have began to glitch the poor bastard thing. I docked my shuttle and the whole station began to accelerate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Paradoxish posted:

You're really missing the fact that good procedural systems almost always include a lot of hand crafted content as well as a lot of procedural content that's curated and modified on a case-by-case basis. Procedural content generation is really suited to any sort of game that takes place on an astronomical scale like this because you have huge tracks of nothing that can't be feasibly populated by hand. Having stuff beyond the Kerbol system without procedurally generating it just seems really silly given that there's so little variety in what you actually do in KSP. Running off to somewhere really far away just to click "collect data" some more doesn't sound all that interesting without any sense of exploration to go along with it.

To me, that's just an excuse to make the landscapes of the worlds that exist more interesting.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Falken posted:

Well, got pretty far into my space station build, and the quantum struts have began to glitch the poor bastard thing. I docked my shuttle and the whole station began to accelerate.

Why are you not riding that puppy to a far away planet? Free DV!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

TescoBag posted:

Why are you not riding that puppy to a far away planet? Free DV!

Nuclear engines are so yesterday. My ship is powered by bugs.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Is there an easy way to tell which of my mods broke science in my game? All of a sudden all the stock methods of gaining science had their menus removed (like eva, materials, goo, etc) while the one model science thing I have (a magnetometer) still seems to work. Anyone had a similar problem before?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lord Yod posted:

Is there an easy way to tell which of my mods broke science in my game? All of a sudden all the stock methods of gaining science had their menus removed (like eva, materials, goo, etc) while the one model science thing I have (a magnetometer) still seems to work. Anyone had a similar problem before?

Well, we'd need to know which mods you had.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

SocketSeven posted:

I think the reason gamemakers love procedural generation is because they are lazy, and don't want to make levels because it is tedious and boring.

Clearly this man has never designed any procedurally generated games. The effort involved with coming up with algorithms that make this stuff work and be believable is intense, well above the effort involved with building a level by hand. You're talking about creating things that look like they were created by hand. All of them. All of the things at once.

Just because current attempts at doing it have failed or been lazy, does not mean that it's easy to do when it is done right.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Nuclear engines are so yesterday. My ship is powered by bugs.

infinite improbability drive :jeb:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
After struggling to get 3 tonne Mars and Venus probes built in RPL, I finally got enough science for the next engine tech node and now I can build Moon mission rockets - 13 tonnes and 21.1k dV. Big difference. I saved the new build as a subassembly of course, I sense some refits coming on soon.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Well, we'd need to know which mods you had.

Solved it, i hosed up the install on the crowd sourced science logs mod.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Has Mapsat been updated recently? The version I downloaded a few weeks ago, which was the most recent at the time, keeps making my game crash when I attach it to a ship & try to launch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Something seems a little off here.

e:

Shortly after I took that photo, I went over much too high a jump and lost control of the rover. By some miracle I was able to torque it around to avoid smashing anything delicate into the ground, so the only parts that were damaged were the wheels (lightly) and the ventral docking port (exploded). After repairing 3 of the 4 wheels, I discovered that I had forgotten to set the parking brake before climbing out (specifically I discovered this when the rover tried to use Jeb as a chock). He then had no choice but to chase it down with his jetpack and try to grab the cockpit ladder. Instead, he tripped on the rover in midair, toppled over, got wedged into a crevice on top of it, and stopped responding to controls. Without a pilot the rover was also uncontrollable, so it continued to pick up speed.

By a second miracle the rover found its way onto an upward slope severe enough for the remaining unrepaired wheel to grind it to a halt, so Jeb stood back up and was able to make his way inside, secure the parking brake, and finish repairs. Back to cruising Vall, perhaps more attentively this time.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 17, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

Something seems a little off here.

Someone snuck a photo of the sun on your side window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Regrettable posted:

Has Mapsat been updated recently? The version I downloaded a few weeks ago, which was the most recent at the time, keeps making my game crash when I attach it to a ship & try to launch.

ISA_Mapsat has been abandoned for so long that a replacement system has been made, SCANSat:

Synnr posted:

Turns out there is a new person updating ScanSat , and it fixed my issues with it! There appear to be occasional buggy issues with the big map (Duna looks like kerbin until you scan it, sometimes??), but hey!

Unless you really want to do simulated LiDAR scanning of planets for arbitrary resolutions like a super photogrammetry nerd, SCANsat is better than ISA_Mapsat in every way. Maybe one of my more favourite features is getting science points for completing scans of planets.

• Locked thread