Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

When the time comes I'll probably buy an FD off you or Fritz Flynn on RX7club.

Or I could just import a stock JDM model, the $10k in savings might be enough to cover any kind of fuckery.

I rode along with Fritz in November, and holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that likes the idea of owning a first or second gen rx7. Especially with a louvered rear window! I just need more garage space. Well, and time and money.

Spyder, I saw this the other day and thought of you: http://dirtynailsbloodyknuckles.bigcartel.com/product/fd3s-masters-fan-art-24-x16-print

Possible print for handing on the wall when the interior is finished?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I also found you a wall clock:
http://society6.com/CaleFunderburk/787b-mXd_Wall-Clock#33=284&34=286

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I approve.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Let's start this update with the theme of my last few weeks: F.M.L.

I emptied the drain pan we used on my engine today, only to be greeted by a massive amount of shiny flakes. It makes since though, since I was getting random compression numbers on the rear rotor. Can't wait to crack this keg open and see what the hell happened.

More later. Ugg...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Part two:

The black car is 80% done. I welded up a dump tube while incredibly sick this week.

Over the past few days, we wrapped up the 95 Montego Blue. Runs amazing. The owner is stoked and after breaking it in, will be taking it on a 2500 mile road trip to Georgia.

Yesterday we pulled the motor from my white car. There was a loud "twang" and the motor dropped 3". Never had a lift point mounting bolt snap before, but there's a first for everything.

Random shop cleaning and prep for the framing inspection has begun. I really, really need to stop letting other projects get in my way of finishing the actual building…

I pulled out my old John Deere and cleaned it up a bit, started first try and I didn't even need jumper cables. They really don't make them like this anymore.

Woodworking- I repaired this Jet Jointer I bought of CL, it had a broken bell crank that raised and lowered the in feed table. $25 later, it's good to go.

Lowes is clearancing their Bessey clamps so I stocked up.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 28, 2014

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
On that new mower, you might want to switch out your blades for a set of mulching blades. I ran a mower like that one summer doing landscaping, and that was what the owner said is the best upgrade to get for them.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Pulling a rotary looks so uneventful. The hood is even still on!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

Pulling a rotary looks so uneventful. The hood is even still on!

Once you have done it, I don't know, 100+ times it's pretty drat easy.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

Once you have done it, I don't know, 100+ times it's pretty drat easy.

And that's just per car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. Could he do it blindfolded though, that's the question :colbert:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Challenge accepted. :c00lbert:

In reality, no, but I have been known to close my eyes and find the electrical connector wedged under the dash.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Update:

Wednesday I spent the evening at a fellow car club members house going through his Rx-7 parts collection. He's moving and wanted some help with pricing.
Little did I know they guy had a entire room dedicated to memorabilia and models. I want soooo much stuff he has.

But of course we had to start in the basement.

He had a dozen boxes of books, models, brocures, t-shirts, even Mazda watches!

Oh and I'm going to be R+R'ing his 30k 93 R1 track car with a 13B-RE/ T04Z. Last dyno'd at 550whp.

The black 94 is 90% done. I rolled the front fenders and installed the wideband last night. Apparently the owner had a chat with the shop that did all the fuckery, it's now turned into a pissing match. I told the owner I would write up everything I found, but otherwise I want nothing to do with it. (Plus it's like 3 hours away.)

The shop is cleaning out nicely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Everything in that set of photos is amazing.

How much more stuff did you find on the 94 that wasn't on this old list? I would burn that shop down, but from the way this list sounds they were well on their way to doing it themselves.

the spyder posted:

I've been working on getting the black car out of the shop in the evenings this week.
Here's the list of issues it came in with after being worked on by a outta state shop closer to the owner:
1) Unmounted Fuel Pressure Regulator. (idiots)
2) Oil leak. (two stripped bolts)
3) Wants wiring mess cleaned up. (undid everything I did when installed aftermarket fuel system)
4) Wastegate "only" opens at 16.5psi. (idiots)
5) Intercooler hose pops off. (My fault)
6) Wants aftermarket engine mounts installed.

Here's the list of issues I found:
1) Tbolt clamps turned facing up, dented hood.
2) Stock coils/wires with 7's and 9's on a 450hp car (wrong plugs).
3) Boost controller installed wrong.
4) Boost controller reference line T'd in to map sensor...
5) Fuel supply line finger tight.
6) Factory fuel pressure regulator vacuum control solenoid tied in to new aftermarket FPR.
7) HKS twin power mounted with velro under the hood.
8) Coil packs not bolted down.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes, but it was all small stuff. The AN lines were loose and rubbing against the TPS wiring, several other fuel lines were just slightly tighter then finger tight, one of the injectors had the 12v supply wire just hanging out loose. Just more crap like that. I buttoned it up for now, and there is still more I want to do, but dude is broke apparently.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That JD 314... doesn't that have that god awful Kholer motor in it? (Or am i thinking of another one)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've never had a problem with it? drat thing has so much torque at startup that it shakes the entire tractor. Smooths right out though. I can't recall if I mentioned it, but this thing sat for six months and started on the first turn of the key with half choke.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The black car is back with its owner for now. The drat thing blew out the exhaust gasket on the test drive- nothing bad, but it's sure annoying. I'm guessing warped exhaust manifold. I hate to say it, but I'm 90% done with the owner of this car and mainly his father. Every time they try to bicker about labor costs and I've left with a bad taste in my mouth the last few times. After this exhaust leak is fixed, I'm done with them and this car.

Friday I came home to my brother starting to finally pull parts off the wrecked Miata. It was incredibly satisfying to "assist" with a sawzall, hammer, and prybar. I still can't believe that outside of the two seatbelt/upper colum mounts being tweaked a tiny bit, the roll bar was untouched.

After the shenanigans Saturday getting rid of the black car, we built a quick* work bench/outfeed table. Sunday we finished it up and started making bee hives and nesting boxes for our chickens. We would have gotten further, but the drat bearings went out in my miter saw, so we made a sled for the tablesaw.

Feels good to have the shop empty again. After we are done f'ing around with some wood working, I'm going to try and empty the shop out and get the floor sealed. Oh and 90% of the nailing is done. Just waiting on scaffolding.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Jesus, you have chickens too? This is like a version of Slung Blade's thread where poo poo doesn't freeze solid eight times a year. Shop construction, car building, if you had an alternative-propulsion tractor we'd have the whole set.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

... if you had an alternative-propulsion tractor we'd have the whole set.

Single rotor John Deere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjk9RCzg9Y

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

I've never had a problem with it? drat thing has so much torque at startup that it shakes the entire tractor. Smooths right out though. I can't recall if I mentioned it, but this thing sat for six months and started on the first turn of the key with half choke.

Yeah, I am trying to think, there was a couple years where they had some really poo poo motors bolted in.

I think it was the 316 I am thinking about... there was one that was notorious for blowing main bearings around 750 hours or so.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I think you're right- the 316 was the trouble model. I wish I had saved the 318 my friends land lord had. Bastard "traded" it in for $1k off his new zero turn. He had EVERY accessory. Bucket, blade, mower, bagger, tiller, post hole digger. I'm still pissed my friend never called and told me it was being traded. drat it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The 317, with the Series I KT-17. The rod bearings were "spray-oiled", and had a tendency to become 8.5-horse singles.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A few weeks back I went to use my Miller 210 and the feed was acting up. I went and talked with the local welding supply and of course they had another batch of demo units. (I bought my dynasty as a demo.) I thankfully did not have my credit card on me and I was even more thankful when I got home and did some price shopping. They were only knocking $50 off what weldersupply.com offered it for new! I can't wait to go back in there and ask them what the hell they were thinking. Anyways, Monday morning someone posted a Miller 252 for $1600 just up the street. They even bought it from the same local welding supply shop. I went and tested it out today. $1400 cash and I dragged it back home. Clean machine. Not as clean as my 210, but the 252 will do 1/2" in one pass. Ironically I started to clean up the 210 for listing on CL and found my feed issues were just a overtensioned spool/roller. Oh well, I should be able to get $1000 out of the 210, so I'm not complaining about a $400 upgrade. Oh and it welds beautifully :).

I bleed bluuuuue. Who want's to buy my 210?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 7, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

I think you're right- the 316 was the trouble model. I wish I had saved the 318 my friends land lord had. Bastard "traded" it in for $1k off his new zero turn. He had EVERY accessory. Bucket, blade, mower, bagger, tiller, post hole digger. I'm still pissed my friend never called and told me it was being traded. drat it.

Mother of god. That's just ridiculous..... My folks had a 318, and it was just starting to get to costly to keep fixing it. So they sold it for 1500, bought a 425 for 4500.

JD garden tractors hold their value insanely well.

Bucephalus posted:

The 317, with the Series I KT-17. The rod bearings were "spray-oiled", and had a tendency to become 8.5-horse singles.

Thats the model. The 317 tarnished the smaller 3XX models.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My folks had a 318, and it was just starting to get to costly to keep fixing it.

RIP Onan. :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh gawd, I forgot about the 317- it single handed destroyed the 316/14 reputation like you mentioned. I still would have killed for that 318. Maybe it's time to start looking for a 425 or X series. If I can't find either, I will get a Kubota.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

the spyder posted:

Oh gawd, I forgot about the 317- it single handed destroyed the 316/14 reputation like you mentioned. I still would have killed for that 318. Maybe it's time to start looking for a 425 or X series. If I can't find either, I will get a Kubota.

Kubota has a production facility just east of Atlanta in Conyers. My wife did their environmental compliance work when she was still in consulting. She wrote their Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures (SPCC) plan, stormwater management plan, and Title V air permit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Progress has been made and despite my anxiety about calling in the next inspection, I went ahead and scheduled it for tomorrow. Wish me luck.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Pictures:

I tore my motor down to the keg.

The final nailing is done and we can now call for inspection.

It's getting empty in here again...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have awesome garage/shop envy. Good luck with the inspection!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Wahoo! It passed both framing and shear wall inspections.

The inspector is one of the most straight faced guys I've ever met- must be one heck of a poker player. I got a laugh and a smile out of him today though. It's a good thing I never finished the house wrap- otherwise I would have had to peel it back in quite a few spots to pass the shear nailing inspection. He did not say a word about anything I left in the shop either, thank goodness. Next up sealing the floor and installing the lift. This weekend might actually be fun :).

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 16, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I'm pretty curious, what specifically did the inspector look for?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
He used the "Site Copy" of the county approved building plans (that were submitted when I filed for the permit) and made sure that 1) All of my nailing was correct (Spacing, size of nails, location of nails), 2) All reinforcement brackets were installed, 3) That the jbolts in the concrete were infact bolted through the sill plate and 4) That I overall followed the plans/instructions. I'm sure he was also checking the lumber grades, sheathing grades, and window installations. Apparently we did fine. :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

Last of the mower chat, I swear.

The 425 is a decent mower, but it lacks the brawniness of a 318. Get a Kubota if you have the cash.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It was a productive weekend.

Friday, I was able to find densifier from a local supplier.

I spent Saturday morning preping the slab. This entailed sweeping, vacuuming, washing, degreasing, pressure washing, and squeegeeing out 3/4 of the shop.

I resorted to using a leaf blower to get the water out of the relief cuts and cracks around where the 2x6 sill plate rests on the slab.

Since I'm using a Silica based densifier, the application process was incredibly easy. Just mix 1 to 1 and apply using a garden sprayer.

Sunday, I moved everything from the last 1/4 and cleaned it.

While moving everything, we noticed these blotches of silica. They eventually dry to a powder and just sweep off.

We also stood up the lift columns.

I could not help myself and we added the top pieces and cross bar. I can't wait to get it bolted down and assembled.

The floor should be dry by tomorrow.

My friend admiring the lift.

I set the woodshop back up. My brother assembled our Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector, it sucks- in a good way.

Lawn tractor chat: I pulled the blade for my 314 out and mounted it up with the help of a few friends who stopped by. I can't want to try it out.

I received my new park bench Saturday too, came with a free* 93 R1 that needs reassembly. (It's not really free, it's a customers car.)

In other car news, boost in = apex seals out. I could go on a rant, but I won't. The short answer is, it's 50/50 my fault/my engine builders. Now for the mystery: The bearings are perfect and we have no idea where that oil drain pan was last used. I guess we will soon find out judging my the amount of bearing material I found… drat it.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Is that an apex seal pressed into the side of the rotor?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's all from 1 chipped 3piece apex seal. (Which I swear I asked for those to be replaced with 2 piece, but we won't get in to that here- it was a miscommunication.)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, my 93 year old neighbor who gave me my 1926 Model T and that 78 John Deere 314 passed away last night. He will be missed, but not forgotten. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That sucks dude, my awesome neighbor passed away not too long ago too. She was the best neighbor ever :smith:

And just out of curiosity, has anyone ever went NA with an FD because they got sick of losing apex seals?