Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
If the live album "Space Ritual" or Steve Wilson's re-mix of "Warriors on the Edge of Time" doesn't do it for you, I really don't see the point of getting into Hawkwind. I would go with Space Ritual first, or I would give them the sweet spot for a 5.1 demonstration of WotEoT if I were to convert someone into Hawkwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

If I was looking to convert someone I'd take them to a live show. I think it's enough to just like their albums for what they are, but Hawkwind live is something special. Even if Dave Brock will be 73 when I see them next, they'll still rock hard.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Gianthogweed posted:

Jethro Tull had a great run from 1968-1979. One album a year, all fantastic. After that it's been very hit and miss. Nothing really stands out at the same level as the 70s stuff. It's a shame.

My feelings exactly. The only later album that almost gets on the same level as a whole is Crest of a Knave, but many other albums do have the occasional cool song here and there.

JT has also had many really somewhat underrated, but loving great musicians, such as Martin Barre (lead guitar), John Glascock (bass guitar) and Barriemore Barlow (percussion). Just listen to Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses, where all three of them are in the band, not to mention late 70s live recordings. Great stuff.

Actually I haven't been following Tull or Anderson for many years due to life and all sorts of circumstances happening. I just listened to Enter the Uninvited from Homo Erraticus and it sounded kind of j-tull-dot-comish. I've yet to decide if this is a good thing or not. I also noticed there's some sort of sequel to Thick as a Brick and it kind of set off some alarms. Artist revisiting some of his old material and rearranging it to something else rarely goes well.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Gaspar Lewis posted:

"Turnpike Inn" was the only song worth salvaging from it. Dismal, dismal, dismal. He still has plenty of talent to spare, but I'm still gonna call a miss a miss. If we accept Thick as a Brick 2 as what it claims to be, I'm chalking up Homo Erraticus as the spiritual successor to fuckin' Under Wraps.

Again, I have disagree with you on all points. I think "Turnpike Inn," while better than "Puer Ferox Adventus" and "The Engineer," was probably one of the weaker songs on the album. I think my favorite 4 would have to be "Cold Dead Reckoning," "Tripidium ad Bellum," "Meliora Sequamur," and "Pax Britannica."

I really don't understand how you can hate the album enough to compare it to Under Wraps. I mean, how can you really compare this to this? As I said before, I quite honestly think Homo Erraticus is his best output since the 70's.

Laputanmachine posted:

My feelings exactly. The only later album that almost gets on the same level as a whole is Crest of a Knave, but many other albums do have the occasional cool song here and there.

JT has also had many really somewhat underrated, but loving great musicians, such as Martin Barre (lead guitar), John Glascock (bass guitar) and Barriemore Barlow (percussion). Just listen to Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses, where all three of them are in the band, not to mention late 70s live recordings. Great stuff.

Actually I haven't been following Tull or Anderson for many years due to life and all sorts of circumstances happening. I just listened to Enter the Uninvited from Homo Erraticus and it sounded kind of j-tull-dot-comish. I've yet to decide if this is a good thing or not. I also noticed there's some sort of sequel to Thick as a Brick and it kind of set off some alarms. Artist revisiting some of his old material and rearranging it to something else rarely goes well.

Enter the Uninvited is one of the weaker tracks from the album, in my opinion. Try listening to Tripidium Ad Bellum or Cold Dead Reckoning before you purchase it. As to Thick As a Brick 2, it isn't a remix, though it contains a few references to the original (like the rift in between sides 1 and 2). The album is just about the kid on the cover of Thick as a Brick 1. For highlights, I'd recommend Banker Bets, Banker Wins and Old School Song.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 9, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Nobody Interesting posted:

Not really prog but Hawkwind played under the same roof as Brian May yesterday and apparently were amazing. They're playing a pretty big gig in October, joined by Arthur Brown.

I think a good 70% of Hawkwind is prog, at least.

Psychedelic music and prog are very closely intertwined and it's difficult to talk about one without mentioning the other.

Hawkwind is great though

Laputanmachine posted:

I think that it's really tough to keep putting out consistently great material because there are only so many ideas that a person can have musically while still sounding like themselves. I think the only band that kept up that level of innovation and progress was King Crimson simply through Robert Fripp's willingness to fire everyone and start from scratch as often as it took

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I think that it's really tough to keep putting out consistently great material because there are only so many ideas that a person can have musically while still sounding like themselves. I think the only band that kept up that level of innovation and progress was King Crimson simply through Robert Fripp's willingness to fire everyone and start from scratch as often as it took

This is why I don't hate later Genesis or Yes, for example. I'd rather they evolve and do something else that I might not like, than to stagnate and just keep repeating themselves, trying to recreate the success of some album they made 20 years ago coughmetallicadeathmagneticcough. That's just sad.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Laputanmachine posted:

TaaB2 is a whole different album with only a few references to the original. I bought it and enjoyed it. Nothing really too bad on it, but nothing that great either which is how I view a lot of the post-seventies Tull. I enjoyed reading the lyrics and getting into the concept of the album, but it's not the kind of CD I would listen to again and again like the original TaaB. It's just not as melodic and pleasing to the ears. Ian's weaker voice is a big part of the problem. His range is so limited now, and he seems to run out of breath very quickly when he tries to hold out longer notes. He even brought in another singer for certain parts, and honestly I wish the new guy sang most of the leads. It sucks because I loved Ian's voice from the older albums.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 9, 2014

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Anyone familiar with the krautrock band Brainticket? I picked up their 1973 album Cosmic Ocean today because the cover art was pretty cool, and the label on the wrapping (it's a new pressing) said it was a concept album about a pharaoh's journey into the afterlife. Thank god it was pretty cheap, because it sucked. There isn't any melodic structure (or song structure) to speak of, and the vocals throughout are drowned in echo and reverb.

After a quick youtube search, I don't believe any of their subsequent albums are worth a camel's foreskin. Maybe Cottonwood might be worth checking out. Though for the most part, if you want experimental, soundscape-y jams by Germans, stick to Tangerine Dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHEmELDPMog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clKFoZOBYs

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Brainticket was one of those psychedelic bands that was psychedelic to the point of self-parody. Don't give up on Celestial Ocean, though, as I think it definitely improves in its latter half, with Visions being my favorite track of theirs. It's not life-changing or anything, but I think it's a decent album by a (deservedly) lesser-known band.

Cottonwoodhill is mostly a bunch of stoned rambling set to the same organ riff, but it's a tasty organ riff!

Edit: An interesting band I discovered around the same time (I must have been going alphabetically through a list of krautrock artists) is Brainstorm. They're really only krautrock by way of geography and have a lot more in common with the Canterbury fusion bands. Both of their albums are on youtube:

Smile a While
Second Smile (the better of the two, I think, even despite the embarrassing spoken word section of Marilyn Monroe)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 13, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

This is why I don't hate later Genesis or Yes, for example. I'd rather they evolve and do something else that I might not like, than to stagnate and just keep repeating themselves, trying to recreate the success of some album they made 20 years ago coughmetallicadeathmagneticcough. That's just sad.

I like later Genesis but I'm not a fan of later Yes, and I've never been sure why.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I like later Genesis but I'm not a fan of later Yes, and I've never been sure why.

It's probably because it's dreadful, but so is later Genesis. I'm just saying that's okay. The stuff they went on to do doesn't interest me, better that then them making foxtrot over and over 'till the point of tedium.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Prog Doctor posted:

Anyone familiar with the krautrock band Brainticket? I picked up their 1973 album Cosmic Ocean today because the cover art was pretty cool, and the label on the wrapping (it's a new pressing) said it was a concept album about a pharaoh's journey into the afterlife. Thank god it was pretty cheap, because it sucked. There isn't any melodic structure (or song structure) to speak of, and the vocals throughout are drowned in echo and reverb.

After a quick youtube search, I don't believe any of their subsequent albums are worth a camel's foreskin. Maybe Cottonwood might be worth checking out. Though for the most part, if you want experimental, soundscape-y jams by Germans, stick to Tangerine Dream!

Psychonaut is better than Cottonwood Hill and the songs are much more compact/coherent.

Good psych-prog grooves.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
Quick recommendation I got from a friend; Skywhale! Don't know anything about them except that they released only one highly collectible album in 1977 and that it's awsome canterbury-ish UK-prog!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UfPb9ECoY

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...man, Yes's "Rhythm of Love" is really just a Van Halen song with Jon Anderson word-association lyrics.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Hi Prog thread! I've got a kind of fun request for you.

I've been asked in a month or so to DJ at someone's party. This person is ~60 years old and so far the brief I've had is 'David Bowie, The Doors, etc'. These artists might not slot quite so neatly into 'prog rock', BUT I would hazard a fairly safe guess that the denizens of this thread know a lot about that area of music - that is, classic rock on the weirder druggier end of the spectrum. I'm guessing 'etc.' covers mostly the standards: Pink Floyd, The Who, and so on.

I'm very happily going through a whole bunch of classic albums in my collection, but the vast majority of tracks really don't work for a party kind of setting. So, my question to you is: if you were putting together a playlist for a party where the brief is classic rock along those lines...what would be your absolute must-haves?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Nobody Interesting posted:

If I was looking to convert someone I'd take them to a live show. I think it's enough to just like their albums for what they are, but Hawkwind live is something special. Even if Dave Brock will be 73 when I see them next, they'll still rock hard.

There is truth to this. I saw Nik Turner's Space Ritual tour in the mid 90s. My friends were there to see Sleep (which blew me away), and I told them to stick around for Nik Turner's version of Hawkwind with Helios Creed on guitar. They were stunned, and I got them to hear the musical connection with Lemmy. The light show was fantastic as well: a full on visual assault.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Anae posted:

I've been asked in a month or so to DJ at someone's party. This person is ~60 years old and so far the brief I've had is 'David Bowie, The Doors, etc'. These artists might not slot quite so neatly into 'prog rock', BUT I would hazard a fairly safe guess that the denizens of this thread know a lot about that area of music - that is, classic rock on the weirder druggier end of the spectrum. I'm guessing 'etc.' covers mostly the standards: Pink Floyd, The Who, and so on.

I'm very happily going through a whole bunch of classic albums in my collection, but the vast majority of tracks really don't work for a party kind of setting. So, my question to you is: if you were putting together a playlist for a party where the brief is classic rock along those lines...what would be your absolute must-haves?

Steely Dan all the way down!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Maybe some Queen, 70's peter gabriel, marillion, i dont know.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Put on Thick as a Brick and go take a dump.

EDIT: I should say, if you have to go take a dump. Don't force one just cause the song came on.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 16, 2014

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BigFactory posted:

EDIT: I should say, if you [i]have[i] to go take a dump. Don't force one just cause the song came on.

You could strain your vocal cords.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If I was putting together a playlist for a party and my guidelines included "David Bowie" I would just lean on a lot of David Bowie because as it turns out he has a lot of music that's appropriate for parties

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Anae posted:

I'd probably go with some Yes.

Ozric Tentacles is on the odd side but fairly dance-able.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BigFactory posted:

EDIT: I should say, if you have to go take a dump. Don't force one just cause the song came on.

Hope your dump itself isn't thick as a brick.

Really though Jethro Tull is a good suggestion, you could probably play all of Stand Up.

David Bowie: You can probably skip the Berlin trilogy - they're amazing, but don't have a lot of great party material. But otherwise most of his albums are a decent mix of party-accessible stuff and... less party-friendly stuff. As you get later and later, you get into the territory of "one really great party song and a bunch of meh stuff."

Later Beatles stuff (post-lsd) would be a big hit I'm sure.

Other good suggestions were made (early Yes especially), though I'm not 100% sure what Marillion tracks are great for parties, but it's definitely pretty accessible.

Are you looking for "things people will recognize and like that fits in that vein," or are you looking for "things people won't recognize but fits in that vein and is good"? Sometimes DJing is a game of playing at people's nostalgia and playing stuff they know, and other times it's about impressing people with cool music they don't know.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

alnilam posted:

David Bowie: You can probably skip the Berlin trilogy - they're amazing, but don't have a lot of great party material. But otherwise most of his albums are a decent mix of party-accessible stuff and... less party-friendly stuff. As you get later and later, you get into the territory of "one really great party song and a bunch of meh stuff."

When I think of Bowie songs I'd want to hear at a party, I think of stuff like Sound + Vision, Breaking Glass, Joe The Lion, Red Sails etc... Or basically anything off of Let's Dance. Really, if you ignore the Frippertronics/Eno stuff on the Berlin albums they're perfect party music. A lot better than like Ziggy Stardust or Width of a Circle, stuff like that.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Also some early Soft Machine, Silver Apples (it's all kinda weird thumpy music). Oh and T. Rex.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mithra6 posted:

Also some early Soft Machine...

Play their 2nd album and watch everyone try to dance in 7 time

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

You're gonna need some Hawkwind, too :smuggo:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53aTgZ8B3Y

BigFactory posted:

When I think of Bowie songs I'd want to hear at a party, I think of stuff like Sound + Vision, Breaking Glass, Joe The Lion, Red Sails etc... Or basically anything off of Let's Dance. Really, if you ignore the Frippertronics/Eno stuff on the Berlin albums they're perfect party music. A lot better than like Ziggy Stardust or Width of a Circle, stuff like that.

Depending on the crowd you could party down to "Heroes"

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Attitude Indicator posted:

It's probably because it's dreadful, but so is later Genesis. I'm just saying that's okay. The stuff they went on to do doesn't interest me, better that then them making foxtrot over and over 'till the point of tedium.

I used to agree, but I've come to warm to 80s/90s era Genesis and Yes. But Genesis lost me after We Can't Dance, which, in itself, was a bit of a snore-fest, still way better than Calling all Stations though. On the other hand Yes still had moments of brilliance in the 90s that I feel they didn't get enough credit for. For example I just listened to the Union album for the first time in over a decade and found myself enjoying it quite a bit more than I used to. Sure the 80s cheese was still in full effect, but the songs were actually really good, and there was some great instrumental jams that I wish were extended a bit more. Honestly, the most annoying part of the album was Jon's vocals. He was still in his 80s "sing the same high note loudly over and over" phase. I always liked his voice better when he was singing more softly and more melodically. He tended to shout too much in the 80s and 90s. But instrumentally the band was still awesome. There's a lot of cool things going on behind the vocals that I overlooked the first time I listened it, and it was cool hearing a mix of the ABWH sound with the Rabin sound. Howe and Rabin actually complimented each other well, and this coming from a guy that used to hate anything that had Rabin on it.

edit: Saving My Fart still sucks though.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 17, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Anae posted:

Prog music isn't something you typically play at parties where people are expecting to dance. That being said, there's some good dancy-type prog that you can play that will get people moving. The Doors is sort of proto-prog acid rock, but LA Woman usually gets people dancing. Fusion bands like Chicago and Blood Sweat & Tears, while not traditionally considered prog (but definitely prog related), has some great upbeat dance-able tunes on their early albums. Yes has a lot of good dancy tunes, Roundabout, Yours is No Disgrace and Owner of a Lonely Heart come to mind. I wouldn't go too deep though because a lot of the more proggy stuff is difficult to dance to. 80s Yes was a lot more dancy, but it strangely sounds a lot more dated today than the artsier 70s stuff. The same goes for Genesis with the exception that 70s Genesis is not nearly as dancy as 70s Yes. ELP's Karn Evil 9 is 30 minutes of upbeat fun, but the third impression goes pretty deep into nerdy scifi territory. Then you have more obscure bands like Kraftwerk that combined prog with disco. Some of it may a bit too strange for a party, but might be worth a try if you're crowd is into early electronic-type music.

Also, if you want to try out something a little more daring, check out a band called Nektar. "Remember the Future" may be the most dance-able 35 minute prog epic of all time.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 17, 2014

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks all for your suggestions - I'm having a fantastic time going through them. I'm definitely going to be digging deeper after this gig too.

alnilam posted:

Are you looking for "things people will recognize and like that fits in that vein," or are you looking for "things people won't recognize but fits in that vein and is good"? Sometimes DJing is a game of playing at people's nostalgia and playing stuff they know, and other times it's about impressing people with cool music they don't know.

I'm usually a mix of both at parties - I don't like just hammering the classics all the way through, but playing on people's nostalgia is a great game to play. It's about striking the balance. So in this case...both, as the issue is I'm not really sure what does count as 'the classics'. Though a lot of these suggestions I'm listening to and going 'oh, that's THAT song!' so I guess those count as nostalgia classics.

Gianthogweed posted:

[stuff along dancey lines]

Thanks for all this. The brief definitely isn't to rock a dancefloor all night, but it'd be fun to move into very vaguely more danceable stuff as the night goes on.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

http://youtu.be/f59EKHdeyKc
This video was the inspiration for my username. It cracks me up every time. I first saw it posted on a Genesis forums way back before youtube existed. It was the first video I saw of early Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Between Hackett sitting there so seriously finger tapping the hell out of that guitar, Phil Collins looking like Kurt Cobain on drums and a very girly (but cracked out) Peter Gabriel with his thong/jerkin or whatever the hell that is at 5:43, I was utterly taken aback, especially having grown up listening to these guys in the 80s and 90s and seeing them on MTV. MTV never showed this video though, lol.

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014
Just got a hold of the worst album (the reissue literally has newspaper snippets of reviews bashing the crap out of the album) by the worst(?) first gen progressive rock group not named Kansas. The album and band in question are Modern Masquerades by Fruupp.

Not even kidding when I say every guitar solo on the album sounds like the ending of Comfortably Numb.

Its not too bad but boy does it make me sleepy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

^^^^ this reminds me, here's a fun topic I was thinking of:
What are some of the corniest prog bands that you still can't help but like? In other words, guilty prog pleasures. Because I don't know about you, but sometimes I just get in a mood where I want to listen to the corniest prog I know.

Here do I confess some of my guilty prog pleasures, in artist - album format.
Iluvatar - Children
IQ - Ever
Eloy - lots of Eloy actually
Spocks Beard - V
ELP - do they count as a guilty pleasure? I just never want to listen to them unless I'm in a corny mood.

May think of more as the day goes on, I just thought it'd be a fun discussion topic. Feel free to make fun and/or agree with these, and please list your own.

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014

alnilam posted:

^^^^ this reminds me, here's a fun topic I was thinking of:
What are some of the corniest prog bands that you still can't help but like? In other words, guilty prog pleasures. Because I don't know about you, but sometimes I just get in a mood where I want to listen to the corniest prog I know.

Here do I confess some of my guilty prog pleasures, in artist - album format.
Iluvatar - Children
IQ - Ever
Eloy - lots of Eloy actually
Spocks Beard - V
ELP - do they count as a guilty pleasure? I just never want to listen to them unless I'm in a corny mood.

May think of more as the day goes on, I just thought it'd be a fun discussion topic. Feel free to make fun and/or agree with these, and please list your own.

You are so awesome for bringing this up. I am a cheesy person by nature so I tend to gravitate towards prog albums that are such:

Anything ELP, nuff said.

Abacab, mostly due to all the early 80s synth noises

Hawkwind albums, my god, you don't know how quietly I have to listen to them so nobody hears "SHOUNDTDOOTHAT SHOUNDTDOOTHAT SHOUNDTDOOTHAT"

Styx, I only have one album called Cornerstone and it sounds like Queen if they had the worst taste imaginable. Most of the songs have good melodies but all the synth tones sound they're from Tarkus and the electric piano from Breakfast In America. Dennis DeYoung even tries to sound like Freddie Mercury but somehow sounds so much whinier and pathetic (and James Young, the other singer sounds like DeYoung if he was tone deaf or being electrocuted!) Regardless I play Lights, Love In the Midnight and Eddie all the time

Van Der Graf Generator albums are not something to blast at work. My manager said he'd prefer gangsta rap over Hammill!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory is a big one for me, though that may be a case of the best bits influencing my memory of the album as a whole. It's somehow a surprise every time exactly how painfully cheesy Through Her Eyes and Finally Free are.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory is a big one for me, though that may be a case of the best bits influencing my memory of the album as a whole. It's somehow a surprise every time exactly how painfully cheesy Through Her Eyes and Finally Free are.

The real surprise is that all the other Dream Theater songs are just as cheesy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dream Theater Is Bad

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Prog Doctor posted:

Brainticket actually rules but you seem to be treating it like you would normal prog rock when it's leaning towards the ambient side of krautrock which might be the problem. Cottonwood Hill is definitely better than the later albums though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Just got a hold of the worst album (the reissue literally has newspaper snippets of reviews bashing the crap out of the album) by the worst(?) first gen progressive rock group not named Kansas. The album and band in question are Modern Masquerades by Fruupp.

Not even kidding when I say every guitar solo on the album sounds like the ending of Comfortably Numb.

Its not too bad but boy does it make me sleepy.
The most surreal thing about this album was when Talib Kweli and Norah Jones sampled it and hit #2 on the Billboard album charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMFAfnC36s